[Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인

0ly40

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@0ly40 Thank you so much for sharing the MV with its lyrics... which is a sad premonition of how their affair will probably end.

Channel A is rolling out the BTSes, which is such a bonus! This time we get to see first hand what our broody artist really thinks of CSA through his sketch... though I think I need an art connoisseur to interpret what he actually drew :w00t: 

Just because you empathise with another person or feel sorry for their life or even understand their reasons doesn't mean you condone adultery. There is no stain on you as a person for feeling for another human being. We are human and things do absolutely get to us. No need to feel apologetic or afraid that your own values are being corrupted because you feel for another person in a bad situation. In fact if you do not feel for other people that is a far worse sin in my book then holding on to your values.

Always remember you're not in that person's shoes and you will never understand another person or be able to truly feel why they make the choices they do and making judgements and deciding their fate without suffering their problems is both cruel and unkind.

I love these types of dramas because they depict what goes on in so many of our minds. We are not above wanting things in our life and happiness too. We stay married for reasons others cannot comprehend and cope with life the best we can without going mad. We shouldn't condemn others because we are stronger than them nor should we try to preach when we have not faced their problems or social conditions. In some societies a woman will lose her children when she gets a divorce. In that kind of situation why would any woman seek a divorce over having an affair. Life is so complicated and not as simple as some people makes it out to be.

I only managed to watch half of last night’s episode. But very interesting is that a new bird is brought over by MIL. It’s a sparrow. And SJE calls it Hope. So we have Faith Hope Love... I’m sure most are familiar with the Bible quote “And now these three remain: Faith, Hope, Love. But the greatest of these is Love” ~ I wonder where the writer is bringing the leads (and us viewers) with these references. 

Some other interesting stuff from first half

Spoiler

CSA and NMY in the same yoga class. After class, they both went to supermarket to find someone they know. Surprise, surprise... it’s SJE. So all three later seated together for tea. CSA as usual casually told the wife about her afternoon affairs. Turns out that, NMY dated a married man before while studying in the US. Almost got gunned down by the angry wife, but saved by YJW who claimed that he is the boyfriend and she is innocent. Seeing such a good man, she quickly married herself to him so as no one will snatch him away.

25 minutes ago, triplem said:

I heard  got shower scene. Anyone has that cut on IG ?  :D

It's not the kind of shower scene that people want to cut on IG :lol:

Another spoiler on NMY and others

Spoiler

That day when NMY returned home from supermarket with groceries, she was upset to find YJW was already eating a dosirak on his own. He apologized saying that he is so used living alone that he settled his meal by himself. He offered her another dosirak in the fridge, but she just cleared away his half-eaten dosirak saying no, she doesn't like dosirak (yeah, but why clear his away?)

And much later in the episode, she texted him to have dinner together. When he arrived at her office at the Univ, he overheard through the ajar door that apparently she's been telling her colleague that her husband is still in the US because their professor is holding on to him, not letting him return to Korea. <_< why bother with such a pretense? She is ashamed he is just a high-school teacher? -_- YJW just turned back and walked away.

JCK's hoobae kissed him on the lips in her drunken state.

Hot. Damn. Soo-Ah's love scenes with the Bad Boy Van Gogh as @Sejabin cleverly puts it HA:w00t: is smoldering..smoking..H--O--T (fans myself) oo..la..la~

Really disliking Soo-Ah's jerk of a hubby & Jung-Woo's wife. Actually all 3 of the spouses are horrible, including that bird cuckoo idiot aka Ji-Eun's hubby urgh.:crazy::P

Jung-Woo's wife appear to be from a well to do family(?) But her attitude though:huh: in ep. 05, she actually demands an I Love You from Jung-Woo. That itself is a bad sign that their marriage isn't as rosy as it seem. And Soo-Ah's husband only sees her as an ornament. To be shown off to his work staff & others. He doesn't value neither does he respect her. The way he looked at that young artist was EWWWwww. 

Sh-it, what a mess lol:mrgreen:......

Spoiler

The wife is ashamed of her husband's job. Unbelievable:expressionless:. He is a freaking teacher for god's sake and that's a stable job to have. What more does she need?. This marriage was a mess from day one. 

I'm gonna watch all 6 episodes when I'm back from my vacation next week. Apparently, the internet in this region is acting up:sweatingbullets:.

Oh what a tangled web... and it's going to get messier by the looks of the preview.

I am not quite sure what to make of this episode. Either I am slow to grasp the nuances that are there, or there is a disconnect somewhere in the narrative. 

I do not understand YJW's not-quite marriage and how it came about. Was he secretly in love with NMY throughout her affair with a married man, which finally came to the fore when she was in danger? Or were they just friends who finally became close after that incident, with NMY's insistence in marrying him quickly so as not to let him slip through her fingers?  Three years hence, she is now the one who no longer feels any urgency in making their marriage legal in Korea, which seems to indicate that she is comfortable in the assumption that he is already hers. Is it also her secret embarrassment that his academic qualifications pale to hers, and that a wedding would reveal her lies to her colleagues in the university? When did he find his feelings for her fading? Is it merely the distance and length of time apart? Or is it her high-handed approach to their relationship, putting herself first as always? She does not appear to think highly of the sanctity of the marriage institution either, particularly from how she admires CSA's boldness in finding love even if through affairs. How ironic then that her frank admiration becomes the impetus for her rival to act upon her desires, throwing caution to the wind and running to YJW once more.

I still find the depiction of CSA and DHY's feelings to be surreal. There seems very little that explains why they are so drawn to each other in a way that transcends mere physical attraction, yet there it is. The scene where she rushes wildly into his studio before falling into his tightening embrace in tears does convince me that they do love each other now, but that is more due to YJW and JDH's evocative performances rather than a cohesive narrative. Still, with that established, I hope that the evolution of their relationship and its aftermath will be better charted out.

CSA's unabashed confession to NMY upon their very first proper conversation seems out of character for someone who is supposedly in the pangs of missing the person who no longer wishes to see her. Her original frankness to SJE could be attributed to her instinctively recognising the same quiet desolation in the younger woman, but why NMY? Not to mention the fact that even if she were just continuing on with casual affairs, does it make sense for her to announce her flagrant infidelities to the world when she should be trying to keep it secret? Am I missing something?

The only progression that makes sense in this episode is YJW and SJE's. If YJW had any reservations about being with SJE before, these would have been driven away by what he overheard at the university, hearing his wife's blatant lies to cover up the fact that she is ashamed of him - he who sacrificed so that she could further her studies. It is interesting that in the midst of the most beautiful scenes between them, we are always reminded that they are married, and that the happiness they are grasping now will have consequences down the road. And if the preview is anything to go by, theirs will be a short-lived idyll. My only question is that does everything come crashing down so soon in the narrative, considering we are less than halfway through the drama? 

OAIsAt3QWPdUCXiRDcWo8VvpR2IlckQH9Hj6tp0qGFMC7IvPtfGqTy2vv5zSHhEKq8Htln1idIzr6Dxf0VbxmIUQOOKqD1C59fqAYWVDoQpB_Zlonwq_Sy40iiIRXQvt-MilDD5l2ctgJOGuaYxqA9c7QsTQR61C6l7-DPMfdg7LpXzdQtwA36fj897iFG5NK5_ycO3Ovs5eIbKf9MBrm6M_rlOsgOPICRGwFc9cRRMde-OGpgzN_1BiBqSUTYz7JwYNINtE-1jLwq5J-oqNPqXPgsV0s92g_-AVMV2zKvEdiZU7JrFb9N2-VK9NIA-LMepPYB_dwCM80q8EU6lhv1PEOgbp-9kJ4kFyR1Hx1-Toz7_LcLcjPWgpGKHpWn9gEzBfaxThKToMrhdbMXZ7Rm1wfjNL8pQxFdTLMrVR7UL_SBYE5ZGrgSPlk3sfOjx9DfXEkr6h_49vMlVlnA3NJUx66sg-FIfmgsGwq9i5jOKGETaV4ZdFz9C_G8TOqhRDsSCG_XOMSjEQBXkCm1Xcv4SjBrmtOaywdi38Q2B4dvIgfdr1No6yIqL4GKGECeRT7l39lhVXhYJ2ezvVU7teygCQYdKGFIyb7_0mS9z-PfZsauI0Z8hXsZ6FPWsYqVKUmycU__nqi-2QeG5_AV8rIdrz-ieZHl8=w600-h352-no

SJE's MIL, while annoying, is a breath of fresh air in the episode, and the random, sickly sparrow Hope that she brings to the home, is a telling allegory of what is happening in their marriage. Hope, which makes its home where Love has flown off, but ends up being attacked by Faith who resents the new intruder's presence, seems to be a reflection of how her own hope for happiness elsewhere is being challenged by her belief in being true to her marriage. Having taken the first step towards an emotional, if not physical affair, I wonder if we will see Hope thrive in this new environment, or ultimately die anyway since it was sickly to begin with?

17 minutes ago, liddi said:

I still find the depiction of CSA and DHY's feelings to be surreal. There seems very little that explains why they are so drawn to each other in a way that transcends mere physical attraction, yet there it is. The scene where she rushes wildly into his studio before falling into his tightening embrace in tears does convince me that they do love each other now, but that is more due to YJW and JDH's evocative performances rather than a cohesive narrative. Still, with that established, I hope that the evolution of their relationship and its aftermath will be better charted out.

CSA's unabashed confession to NMY upon their very first proper conversation seems out of character for someone who is supposedly in the pangs of missing the person who no longer wishes to see her. Her original frankness to SJE could be attributed to her instinctively recognising the same quiet desolation in the younger woman, but why NMY? Not to mention the fact that even if she were just continuing on with casual affairs, does it make sense for her to announce her flagrant infidelities to the world when she should be trying to keep it secret? Am I missing something?

The only progression that makes sense in this episode is YJW and SJE's.

I felt the same way about CSA-DHY pairing. I don’t understand what attracted DHY to CSA. For CSA, it is easier for me to understand because she felt he sees the real her. 

Same feeling when she rather unexpectedly opened up herself to NMY.

But anyhow, I am now continuing watching more for SJE-YJW pairing. I felt so happy for them at the end of ep.5, and yet I actually teared up for them. 

Just finished watching ep 5 with subs. Idky I am happy Ji Eun is doing something for herself. The walk in the forest. And i lve the metaphor that JW gave his left hand (the one with his wedding ring) to her and she accepted with the hand with the ring too. It’s like they know they are married to someone else and what they did is wrong but they are not shy about it as their feelings comes first. 

And the Ep6 preview. Is NmY really pregnant??? Is it her husband’s baby??? I kinda doubt it. 

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here. I am curious to know - has anyone here watched the Japanese version of this drama? I did (last few weeks) and let’s just say my reviews are mixed. I was really looking forward to watching this version. I am 5 episodes in and I am blown-away! Will go back to silent lurking to read your posts!

Ep.6 was a great episode. I have mixed feelings again. Happy to see them finally embracing their true feelings, yet sad for them knowing they are doing something so wrong that will only have sad consequences...

I'm really curious whyyyyyy if really not feeling anything anymore with their spouses, they don't just opt for a divorce and then can be together openly? Not that I encourage divorce... Both require courage, and I'd think having an affair is so much more difficult to own up to than asking for a divorce.

The habitual liar NMY to maintain good "face" is at it again. Makes me wonder which are the things she said to her husband that is truth or lie...

2 posts on same page - my apologies, I’m not sure if this is allowed. 

I am not convinced (and I hope the writers do not try to convince the audience) that the marital problems between all couples can be solved by communication alone. Imo, there are irreparable cracks in their relationships long before the marriage. And it is very possible that each person went into the marriage thinking the other person will change once married. That rarely, if ever, happens. More often than not, the minor irritations before marriage become major irritations after marriage. 

The Japanese version had 11 episodes. It seems this version will have 12 (?).  I’m hoping that the 12th episode makes all the difference. (No pressure on the writers whatsoever :lol:). 

50 minutes ago, triplem said:

the mum in law they have not been physically intimate? ( I wonder if they have even consummated the marriage) 

The MIL came rushing to her because she just woke up from a nap with a dream that she believes interpreted to having babies. JE just said it's impossible for them to have children, so please stop talking about it.

Then the MIL went to ask her son if he is impotent, to which the son just replied that they're not thinking of having children and added they sleep holding hands.

The better Chinese sub is out now. I think next week I should just wait a little later before watching.

2 hours ago, Sejabin said:

Yeah it is strange if a man doesn’t have a normal desire to a woman who sleeps next to him every night. Unless he has different orientation. But strangely his orientation is 2 birds. This bird husband is so pathetic as a man and a husband

I just noticed; in ep 7 prev, this bird man back hugged his wife... and he look serious... i kind of dislike it.. hihihi...

Archived