Quantcast
0ly40

[Current Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인 - Fri & Sat @ 23:00 KST

I've been reading in comments off of other forums how this is a remake of a J-Drama. I haven't watched so I have no expectations whatsoever LoL. However what's with the theme of infidelity in most dramas currently though??  

The overall impression I get from these infidelity themed dramas are how repressed the spouses are:unsure:...especially the women. How the lack of intimacy/warmth (as it is with Ji-Eun) or bored of the routined role of a housewife as Soo-Ah.. By the way the actor who plays Ji-Eun's husband is known for playin' these sleazy husband types:crazy: 

Can't stand the behavior of Ji-Eun's hubby's co-worker, ugh so off-putting:P And he's enabling it by not setting boundaries. Lee Sang-Yeob is mostly known for playin' jerky roles eheh. He's turned into a nice guy here for a change...kind of nerdy LoL. The other actor who plays the enigmatic illustrator is er---interesting:phew: 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

JE has shown feelings for JW and he will notice soon or he already realized. :o 

JW is also attracted for JE. Both JW and JE have had a solitary life for three years. 

• Like 6

Ji Eun never treated as a wife or more importantly as a woman by  her husband. Her husband never had sex with her for 3 years. Called her omma (how unromantic it is), and treats her nothing more than his birds taker. He doesn't by medicine for his wife but bought expensive medicine and pet food for the birds. He doesn't even ask "are you okay?". Ji Eun just wants those simple affections from her husband. She doesn't demand for something big. And she gets those from a complete stranger. That makes her heart waver and who can blame her. I sympathize with her and I can understand why she started the affair. it is not her fault to begin with. 

Not to mention she has a mother in law who keeps asking for a child and makes as if she is the one having problems. 

For Soo Ah, I think there are still more about her that we don't know. On why she is having this extra-marital activity in a certain schedule. 

I like that this drama has monologue voice over so at least we get to know how does she feels inside. So the drama doesn't look too dreadful. 

I watched the first episode of J-drama version and so far the two dramas are so closely alike. The korean remake follows closely like most scenes are the same. Just that the character Ji Eun in J drama is more lively as compared to Korean version. 

• Like 8

@0ly40 Thank you so much for sharing the latest BTSes! Really good to see the warmth on set. The little girl is so adorable, unable to stop giggling at our broody artist :D And it appears the bottled water is as much a source of mirth for the cast, as it is a source of acute embarrassment for SJE in the drama :phew: 

• Like 5

The birds are aptly named, "Love" and "Faith"..  How ironic that "Love" flew away.. Is this to indicate that "Love" no longer exists between Ji-Eun and her hubby as well? 

Just what does Soo-Ah have on her many lovers that they can't seem to let her go!? It's like she has them bewitched or something!  

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

Posted (edited)

Oh my oh my ..why am I enjoying this scandalous drama . :mrgreen: I was surprised at how fast two hours passed  ( despite sone melo bits )  & I wanted more . Feels like a very well shot movie with good production quality.  And I’m like dying for the affair to start btwn Ji Eun & Jung Woo.  Bad bad me ..but  the leads match & have that special connection. I agree with @0ly40 they both cut very lonely figures - JW has grown apart from his wife due to their physical separation. And Ji Eun is  starved of a husband’s physical & emotional affection . Coincidentally both began this lonely journey 3 years ago . 

Of course an affair of any sort is  wrong and there’s really no justification for it ,  but  i don’t think the drama is here to glorify that nor make exceptions to instances where it can be acceptable. On the contrary, I think it’s main narrative tells the various circumstances that act as catalysts for people to board the adultery train :D. And I am guessing as the story progresses , it will show how conscious decisions fulled by subconscious desires bring about devastating consequences for the stakeholders & those around them .

None of the cheating spouses here seem to have much in common except for feeling something lacking in their present relationship. Even in the case of Soo Ah with her seemingly perfect life ( overachieving Daughter 1 seems a little scary though & I see cracks appearing there ) , she  feels something missing and finds her teatime adventures to fill in those gaps. I find her an intriguing character, somewhat unapologetic for her daytime shenanigans as she sees them as her form of therapy . Ji Eun , on the other hand desires very much to be loved & accepted , finds the idea of an affair repulsive but yet is slowly drawn to it .

I’m not sure if this sort of drama will have a traditional happy ending so to speak , and I think it won’t but if there’s one thing I hope for is for Ji Eun to find independence & divorce that bird man & his overbearing Mother .While I’m not for animal cruelty of any sort , I was cracking up at the preview.  So Love died ? How ironic! 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

Finished ep.3. Sorry for not being able to do detailed recap now, but the gist is in spoiler. Lots of developments and one is a shocker for me... well, I mean it shall make the whole having affair thing more complicated for SJE and YJW...

Spoiler

After SJE dashed away on her bicycle, we see YJW thinking back to all their earlier encounters. So he remembered her and recognized her after all. SJE at home sitting on sofa and husband came back with smell of alcohol, he claimed it was KTV with his boss, but looks rather guilty? He (finally) asked about whether she has taken her medicine and wanted to help massage her neck, but she pulled away.

At YJW house, he was surprised by his wife who has returned. He noticed that she put up pictures of the two of them all over the house. They sat down for dinner and he brought up registering their marriage in Korea. So they have gotten married in the US, but not yet registered their marriage in Korea. Somehow the wife sees that as something of non-priority.

CSA looking at the drawing again, and DHY drawing more dancing females.

CSA went to return the bag of shoes that SJE left behind at the hotel. She got invited inside for tea, and they talked about happiness and love. SJE revealed that she only loves her husband and never another man, that husband is her first love and will be her last love. CSA said that is yet to be determined. SJE again expressed her disapproval of affairs and CSA again encouraged her there's nothing wrong in finding happiness, go meet the person you want to meet. SJE was a little offended/defensive and chased her out saying she needs to get to work already.

CSA went shoe shopping, the young sales gave her his number, I think? But she crushed the paper as she walked away... I believe she is not interested in anyone anymore, but the artist.

DHY went to find CSA's husband, saying that he would need something from him in order to work together for the new publication. Something that is nothing to him, and yet his everything. CSA husband confused. My guess is the wife...?

CSA young lover who stopped by her house came to work at the supermarket. SJE shocked and questioned him in the storage room.

MIL found out from nosy neighbor that the fire several days ago was set by the owner of the house ~ the wife who got caught having an affair.

YJW got a text message asking to meet up later at 3pm.

CSA went to supermarket asking SJE to meet up later at 3pm. She saw the lover boy, and told him firmly at the parking that they're over.

YJW showing some concern to his student. That student went to cram school and encountered CSA older daughter who just joined the class.

CSA went o DHY's studio, asking him to draw her properly, at any price. He denied having drawn her. Some high tension here, he suggested her to take off her clothes?!? She tried to slap him, but arm held by him. He asked her to leave. She was about to tear the drawing, but changed her mind and wrote down her number on it instead, asking him to call her should he changed his mind.

SJE and YJW met up, arranged by CSA. They then have a walk while telling each other a little bit about themselves. SJE told YJW about the birds at home and he offered to guide her if she has any questions about keeping them. Wow, he actually said her husband must be a kind person, because a person who loves animals couldn't be a bad person. He wants to know what Love looks like. Got a call from his wife reminding about tonight. So they each go on their separate way.

We finally see the wife of DHY. She is a director of an art museum? She is talking to an able pretty assistant. CSA's husband came to find her. They sat down and he asked what would DHY mean when he asked for something that is nothing to him yet his everything? Wife seemed to know, smiled knowingly and told him to just find another artist. Young pretty assistant (an artist) came by and CSA husband looked her way one too many times and DHY wife noticed it. She asked if he wants to sponsor her as new artist.

YJW and wife having fancy dinner. Again she talked about his job, why worked so hard? that he's not going to be in that school for long anyway. He said he is happy where he is now. She finally agreed to register their marriage the next day but suddenly remembered that she has a full schedule tomorrow.

DHY at home enjoying music but looking at the drawing from where he is seated far away.

Morning time. MIL arrived and making kimchi at the apartment. Bird husband having breakfast and she is telling him about SJE meeting with a young guy. He didn't believe it and dismissed it, having a lot of faith that of all women, SJE will not be the one to have affair. SJE came out of her room and shocked to see her MIL already there. He asked her about the young guy despite Mom gesturing to him No, No. She was trying to explain but got cut by the MIL who tried to change the topic. Cut to CSA sitting in their living room with some baked stuff. She wanted to thank SJE for helping to guide her young cousin the other day in finding her new house. MIL is like oh so that's what happened... SJE sent CSA off to outside the building. She asked why CSA arranged her to meet YJW the other day. Isn't that what you want? CSA then said nothing wrong with having a glimpse of heaven. Yet, she hasn't have one herself. After she left, SJE thought that even to have a glimpse of heaven, she wouldn't board on that train to hell. I am not that kind of a foolish woman.

Husband admiring the Alhambra Palace again on the computer at work.

At the supermarket, SJE is stocking the display unit, and YJW's wife passed by. She called out her name. Yes, they were high school classmates (this is the shocker I mentioned!). From her body language, it is obvious that SJE is all not confident while talking to YJW's wife but it seems that she is quite up to date with what's happening in her life. Wife suggested to have a drink when she got off work that day, but she said she cannot because of a family event. Wife asked for her number. As SJE rode home that day, she met CSA. They sat down at her garden to have tea. CSA asked her did you know YJW has changed his profile picture. Really? SJE checked and saw it's the Morning Glory. Her face changed and CSA noticed it. More talks about men and love. SJE suddenly got a call from husband. She rushed home and he chided her for loitering around and not taking care of the birds properly. SJE burst out in tears asking him what she needs to do then? telling him what kind of life that she's been living. That she doesn't want to be called Omma anymore. She is not a bird. LOL...

Night time. Silent montage of all our four leads contemplating and looking at their phones.

Morning. SJE feeding and cleaning the bird cage. In the meantime, Alhambra Palace arrived at husband's office, which he received and admired adoringly. She forgot to close the cage when getting water for them. Love flew out, and she tried to catch it, but it flew out the window. She went downstairs in panic to find it, even leaving one of her slippers behind and went barefooted. Finally she made the call to husband. He screamed and rushed out of the office, carrying the Alhambra Palace in one hand. At home, he screamed at her again, with tears in his eyes (I roll eyes here) and accused her for having intention to release the birds all along because she didn't like them. He demanded her to find it back, NOW. She screamed of course she will just do that. She took out a net from the closet and went out to find Love, calling its name until her throat is hurting. At one point, YJW suddenly was standing in a distance and asked her, did she lose Love? They looked at each other under showers of cherry blossoms ~ End of episode.

I really should start remembering the names of the spouses :P

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

@ktcjdrama Thanks for the recap chingu:). But what a mess lol. I'm still gonna watch it though:mrgreen:.

Spoiler

So they were high school classmates. A disaster is waiting to happen..... :(. Not to mention, their marriage is not even registered in South Korea yet but they are still legally married in USA.  But I wonder if he will register even when the affair starts. Hopefully not.

By the way, I thought the artist wasn't married. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Thanks @ktcjdrama Omg , you’re right @lu09

Spoiler

JE & JW’s Wife are school mates . Yikes messy. Not to mention , SA’s Husband has the hots for some young girl. It’s like affairs everywhere! :mrgreen: . But yeah , I’m gonna continue watching. It’s too juicy 

By the way slight rise in ratings to 1% which is pretty good cuz this is a very small cable channel unlike tvN etc

Edited by triplem
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

Guys we can finally see what k nets think :w00t:

credit melohwa 

https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/07/love-affairs-in-afternoon-pilot-eps-1-2.html?m=1

Spoiler

Love Affairs in the Afternoon] PILOT Eps 1 & 2 spoilers, Park Ha Sun x Lee Sang Yeob

1.jpg
Article: Naver 'Love Affairs in the Afternoon' Park Ha Sun x Lee Sang Yeob, the conversation between the two of them only in the forest 'Risky' [Ep 1]

1. [+36, -2]
Is it a remake of the Japanese drama 'Hirugao'?

2. [+22, -3]
The two-shot is pretty. I like Lee Sang Yeob.

3. [+19, -2]
It's a nice windy day. 

4. [+15, -0]
Both of them look good on the screen~~

5. [+14, -5]
Isn't the director Hong Sang Soo? ㅋㅋㅋ

6. [+3, -0]
Is this drama good? No. No matter what the reason is, they should to mend their relationship, communicate with each other and change the situation, isn't it? ㅋ Do you mean that whenever couples are having it hard, it's understandable for them to cheat on each other?

7. [+2, -0]
This drama is interesting ㅋ

8. [+2, -1]
The background is beautiful.

9. [+5, -5]
TV Chosun / Channel A, I  skip all their dramas.

2.jpg
Article: Naver 'Love Affairs in the Afternoon' Park Ha Sun's calm and melodramatic emotional outburst [Ep 2]

1. [+66, -3]
No matter how much they try to make it look nice, an affair is an affair.

2. [+32, -8]
Park Ha Sun is pure and innocent.

3. [+24, -8]
They are just writing this to create excuses for having an affair.

4. [+12, -2]
Change the title. 'Love Affair at 3 p.m. Every Day' is more appropriate.

5. [+9, -0]
Even if you don't stay out, it's broad daylight ㅁㅌ at exactly 3 p.m. 

6. [+10, -3]
I'm not even looking at the shame!!!! ㅋㅋㅋㅋ they are romanticizing affairs. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

7. [+8, -1]
It's just showing us that there can be a situation like that. I'm a realistic person so I can understand it. But the story set-up that the woman wants a child, but the man doesn't want any is a little... The statistics shows that many women do not want children, but whatever. I think it is going to be a well-made drama reflecting the reality.

8. [+7, -0]
I'm disgusted that her mother-in-law just presses their passcode and enters to clean their fridge.

9. [+6, -1]
Their acting is so good to the extent I empathize with them~~

10. [+6, -1]
Why isn't anyone swearing at her husband ㅋㅋ He's the one making her have an affair. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Ep3 leaves me with mixed feelings even as it begins to reveal more of the men in the story.

So YJW is not legally married, but merely had a wedding ceremony in the US. Yet he committed to paying for NMY's PhD studies at the expense of his own after obtaining his Masters degree, by teaching in what she dismisses as a rundown school. Of the two, it is clear the legality of their marriage means far more to him, while she considers it a mere formality, deeming their feelings for each other to be more important. He appears the more committed of the two to their marriage, and the disparity of that commitment has chipped away at their relationship as far as he is concerned, hence slowly gravitating towards SJE. I wonder too, whether he is drawn to her because there is no sense of inferiority when they are together, as opposed to with his wife, who is now better educated, and commands a more prestigious post than he as a mere biology teacher? 

DHY is a grey character for now, and I cannot help but wonder whether he is baiting CSA with the sketch to obtain inspiration for his work, since the book covers the topic of a married woman who is desperately clinging to her lover. Is he deliberately enticing her towards him then drawing her in deeper by a show of disdain for her, just so that he could live out first hand, the raging affair that he is meant to illustrate? I am curious at his estranged (?) wife's reaction when she heard that the cryptic one thing he wants from LYJ is something means nothing to him, yet is his all. Can it be that DHY's MO is to conduct affairs with wives of those he is collaborating? Or does she suspect what he is really asking for, knowing his predilection for immersing himself in the topic at hand in order to produce his best work? If that really is true, does he then, end up falling into his own trap, and be as hopelessly entangled with the woman he is deliberately trying to seduce?

JCK's sudden change towards SJE early on in the episode comes as a surprise. Whatever brought it about? A stab of guilty conscience as he finds himself drawn to his colleague, and a belated effort to remind himself that he is married? It is pure irony to see his utter confidence that his wife would never cheat on him, which goes to show, not so much his trust in her love, but rather how much he has taken her for granted. Of course, that does not stop him from going hysterical over the loss of Love, nor his unreasonable demands that SJE finds it back for him. With the symbolic loss of Love, would we see Faith take flight next, or die of the virus that JCK keeps harping about? 

Apart from a roving eye and a callous attitude, LYJ reveals an often masked disdain for his wife when he disapproves of her choice of companions, preferring that she spends time with people from a higher class. His one statement effectively tears her down, relegating her to being the same as those he despises. Is that her real reason for meaningless dalliances after dalliances? To numb herself from her eroding self-worth and identity, as well as using it as her way of getting back at her husband who belittles her in his own way?

To be honest, I have a hard time reconciling what is bandied around as "love", with the context that I am seeing it in the drama. I can't understand how being rebuffed in such derogatory terms after approaching DHY at his studio with the clear intention of adding him to her list of lovers, would serve to make CSA believe that she has found love. If that is what she thinks it is, her concept of love is purely superficial, since she clearly knows nothing about him, and her reaction smacks more of a child who is so used to getting what she wants, that she is fixated on the one thing that is denied her. As for SJE, I can empathise more why she is captivated by YJW, but I have to wonder if she would have even entertained a closer relationship with him, if not for CSA's machinations and skewed but so alluring rationale. Or perhaps she was already at the brink anyway, that all she needed was just a slight nudge towards the first person who treated her like a human being.

I am unsure if my discomfort in the narrative is deliberately provoked by the script, or naivety on the part of the writer to somehow encourage the viewers' sympathy for the soon-to-be adulterers. Hopefully the former. We'll see... 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

I wanted to punch Ji-Eun's idiotic husband badly..:angry:  I mean when he wailed like a baby over the loss of his pet bird, I couldn't help but burst out laughing. He sounded like a dying seal!:lol:

I find myself snoozing at certain parts of this drama LoL:P 

@liddi

I like reading your post as it was both articulate and echoed my thoughts exactly.

It does appear the writers are making it OK for the characters to commit adultery in particular, Soo-Ah & Ji-Eun. But I don't know why I can't seem to get into this drama & maybe that's why I've a hard time staying awake ha:lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

@Latte_Anyday Thank you very much for your kind words. I don't know yet that the script is advocating adultery - during the press conference, the PD and PHS were very vehement about not glorifying it at all. As such, I hope that it will be a stark look at choices made out of circumstances, and the consequences of those decisions, even though we as viewers may sympathise and root for them to find happiness in their lives. 

OST Part 1 sung by Jang Hye Jin has been released:

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Have only watched the first 15 minutes of ep.4... and I am so emotional about it ~ anger, sadness... There are good dialogues/reference about Love (the bird and the abstract noun)

Spoiler

YJW asked SJE are you looking for Love? Did you lose Love?

So the search for Love continued till late night. SJE injuring her leg in the process, while JCK at home drowning his sorrow for the loss of Love in bottles of soju. Later he went out of the building, standing there and screaming out the name of Love that the neighbor (MIL's friend) noticed him while taking out the trash. Later at home, SJE returned, JCK immediately asked her whether she found Love. She told him calmly no, and Love is not going to return. Why would it return when it has gained freedom from being caged in a pathetic life. He said then it will die. SJE replied it's the bird's fate then. The bird has made a choice so let it live the life it has chosen. JCK said do you know how scared it might be? SJE replied "If you love it that much, why don't you go look for it then? Maybe your love can move its heart to come back" He claimed he did try to find it all night and again yelling at her "whyyyyy?! why did you leave the door opened?!" SJE screamed back at him is that all he cared about? That Love has flown away. Does he not care about her heart at all? Where her heart is heading? JCK replied: What are you talking about? We're talking about Love here. SJE: Exactly, love, we're talking about love. She continued that one day she might just walk out the door and disappear. She went out again. In front of the building, she thought, how wonderful it is if she has wings like Love. Then on days like this she could fly away somewhere else. Fly to the person she wants to see most. MIL came rushing, must have heard of it from neighbor. She saw SJE and confirmed the Love incident and angrily went upstairs to smack her son. He was seated at the sofa and thought it was SJE returning and even asked why did you return so fast? have you found Love? MIL smacked him for making her DIL suffer, but he dared talk back to her and demanded her not to interfere in his marriage.

SJE continued walking and sat by a garden. YJW called her and asked if she is safely home. She lied, but he knew she is out because he could hear the crickets in the background. She just leave the phone on and started crying.

Okay, I am an animal lover, but the way JCK is reacting to Love's flying away is really really too much! And then, if he really love the bird so much, why is he not trying to find it immediately but have time to drink soju.... <_<

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Just some tidbits, because I can't do the recaps yet.

- DHY and wife are divorced. But ex-wife is quick to pick up that he fell in love, and that's why he is drawing again.

- YJW's wife is really something. She picked him up at school, they argued about the school he works at again, and she got angry, stopped the car and asked him to go home by himself, using the excuse that she left something at school, which was clearly something made up.

And first date started for both the couples...

Spoiler

The males initiated the meetings, and then there were skinship, handholding... and the females initiated the kiss ~ one full kissing and embracing, another is just an almost kiss as the cliffhanger.

But in next episode preview, we see that the affairs seem going to be quickly discovered by each of the spouse.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1