[Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인

0ly40

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

No, it’s a Friday Saturday show. I divided my recaps because I didn’t have enough time to finish all in one go. 

Thanks, I did see the episode 2. There is no sub so am waiting to read the 2nd episode re-cap. Thank you and waiting also for the posts and review for the episode. Will be back. Thank you so much for the recaps. The artist as in the first drama captured my attention and I dislike the husband of the SJE such a callous and insensitive uncaring husband. 

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone. We're all struggling on this "no-sub" kdrama we all are eager to watch. 

So I suggest maybe.... we.... can.... scream some requests in this site? I remembered they also do they subtitle of their Korean Dramas and I like it better.. Thank you

Let's tweet to them. or DM. 

80EnJae.jpg%C2%A0

深深 向深处 蔓延  Extending deep into the recesses

-- 昼颜的花语  Morning glory's language of flowers

Ep2 takes on a dream-like quality, a momentary respite after the emotional abrasiveness of the previous episode. After years of being in an emotional desert, YJW's little acts of kindness and concern is like a drop of water in SJE's long-parched soul, and slowly, involuntarily, she is drawn to him even as she tries to put an end to the stirrings in her heart. I hurt so much for her bitter tears when she is faced once more with her husband's utter lack of concern after her accident, his mind only revolving around the well-being of his two birds:

Spoiler

"I do not have any lofty expectations of my husband
Just a "It must hurt a lot" would have been enough
"You must be very tired."
I would have been so content with just this.
A corner of my heart is collapsing."

-- SJE

Is it any wonder that any small act of kindness moves her so much? I teared up alongside her when her colleague offered to cover her shift and insisted that she rested, and wished that more people treated her thus, seeing her beyond a chattel of insignificance, but a living person who deserves to be treated as someone who matters. Yet it is telling that the tiny spot of brightness she found in YJW's concern, was translated into a renewed effort to be with her husband once more, which he blatantly lied out of in order to spend time with his staff. With his continued rejection of her, how long could she last, having now had a taste of kindness elsewhere.

Thus far, CSA is unapologetic and flippant about her affairs, justifying it as her own method to heal her tired body and soul without involving her heart, something that SJE could not begin to understand in a woman who appears to have it all - a family and caring husband - all of which SJE could not hope to have in her own life. Yet she finds herself increasingly embroiled in her mysterious neighbour's affairs whether she wishes to or not, even bailing her out when her errant lover calls at her door. However, a careless drawn sketch at CSA's house party finally gives us insight to the possible reason for the emptiness in her - her life as a ballerina given up for her husband and children. Could it be that she gave up her passion for dance for her husband, a sacrifice that he trivialises, deeming what she gained in return by marrying him to be of far greater value than what she lost? Does she rail at the missed opportunities and achievements that define her, in exchange of being merely known as a wife and mother? Is that why she will be drawn to DHY - the only person who instinctively sees who she really is inside, beyond the trappings of what she shows the world?

We learn a little more about YJW's marriage - living alone for the past 3 years as his wife NMY pursues her PhD in the US, and she is now planning to move to Seoul upon her return to lecture at Korea University, fully expecting that he would also uproot and move there with her. From what little is shown, it would appear NMY makes decisions for herself on her own without considering her husband or their marriage, with the arrogance that he would naturally fall in with her plans. It indicates a lack of respect for him as a spouse and equal partner in their union, whether she realises it or not, and chips away at the foundations of their marriage. From his reaction to CSA's blatant proposition, he too balks at the thought of having an affair. As such, what is drawing him to SJE apart from her innate honesty and the few quiet moments they shared?

Still too little is revealed of DHY apart from the fact that he is crusty yet warm with children, and quick to grasp beyond what is evident. I hope we learn more of him down the road.

I never really paid attention to the title of the original jdrama, but now, the significance of 昼顔 Hirugao, the morning glory flower becomes a poignant symbolism of what is to come. Like the plant, reaching far into the deepest recesses of the earth in order to breathe yet unable to bear fruit, we see an indication of SJE's future reasons for having an affair that could only be conducted behind closed doors, hidden from the world - a desolate attempt so that she might live, feel alive even if just during those short stolen moments, even if there is no possible future in it. She already senses she is in danger of going down a path of no return, and for now, she is running furiously in the other direction, praying desperately that she would not be tested. With that, can it be the straw that breaks the camel's back is finding out about her husband's own dalliance as well? We shall see...

Spoiler

"An affair too begins in this way, without any warning or sign
Lying to the family
Hurting those around you
Losing friends
Trapping yourself deep in the black swamp in the end,
Someone unable to be forgiven, an affair.
Never have I imagined [this] even in my dreams
This story definitely has nothing to do with me
Still lately, I have been strangely afraid,
Like being trapped in a maze with no escape
Yet without the courage of a moth that abandons all and flutters into the fire.
Before I fall any deeper,
I will try to turn back.
God, I beg of You not to test me."

-- SJE

Ep2 remains excellent and keeps me firmly invested in the emotional journey, primarily SJE's, but now gradually, too of the other characters. Its exposition brings us through their inner struggles and thoughts, slowly and surely allowing us as viewers to understand, if not condone what is to come. Well done.

@liddi Thanks for the write-up on ep.2. You wrote out the essence of this episode beautifully, and I couldn't agree more with everything. The preview shows that SJE's husband blowing up at her because of the birds. I can't believe he actually screamed on top of his lungs at this office... tsk tsk tsk....

Looking at each of their spouses, I can see how SJE and YJW become attracted to each other. I wonder if without prompting from CSA, would they still carry on furthering their relationship? They have met before that, and may even still cross paths in future. Somehow I feel that CSA is only a catalyst to speed up what might have happened on its own.

Recaps coming soon. It's a Sunday, so may not be home that much to finish the recaps as quick. 

@ktcjdrama That is a good question. Without CSA dragging her in to lie for her to the police, would they really have taken further steps to interact with one another apart from accidental encounters at her workplace or the convenience store? They might have gravitated naturally towards each other through their similar temperaments, but perhaps not taken any further steps beyond the perfunctory greetings, since they both view affairs as forbidden.

(I'm translating loosely from Chinese subs)

Episode 2 - There's a pair of hands that is shaking up Spring

Spoiler

Backtrack a bit to YJW giving SJE the sneakers at hospital. They got out and she wanted to get on the cab herself but he insisted to accompany her home. The cab pulled up in front of her building and they got out. SJE told him to just end it here if it is about the settlement of violence from his student. YJW replied that she should take care of herself first and they can talk about the settlement much later on. He assured her that they will pay for the hospital bills and he asked her to enter her number to his phone. Their exchange is witnessed by CSA from her upstairs balcony. YJW apologized on behalf of his student, then gave her the medicine for her shingles. The whole time SJE is mainly avoiding eye contact with him. He left and CSA walked towards SJE. She noticed the sneakers, then asked about how she is doing. When she turned to leave, SJE said shouldn't we have a talk? Cut to both of them seated in CSA's house. SJE cut to the chase and confronted CSA about the young men, and whether she does not feel ashamed at all? CSA answered calmly that she is just doing whatever she needs to fill the void in her life, and that she is not ashamed of it, and that she is just living her life, to find happiness. Isn't that the reason SJE steal the lipstick as well? To be happy? She could see that it's not because SJE desperately needed that lipstick that she stole. SJE explained that she was out of her mind at that moment and that it's her first time. CSA said she believed it's the first time, but whether or not it's the last time, she needs to live her life out to find out, doesn't she? SJE refused to be used by her. CSA explained that she is doing those things to relax and heal herself, that she does it everyday for 2 hours in the afternoon. SJE became upset and walked out of the house, saying that she wishes that they will have no need to meet again. As she walked out, she narrated, "For me, infidelity is very bad, it cannot be explained away. However, the calm bold way that she said it made me shiver. That made me very angry"

YJW reached his apartment and got a call from his wife telling him she is going to the airport now. He doesn't sound enthusiastic. When he hang up the phone, he saw the bag containing SJE's broken heels.

SJE hanging laundry at her balcony and she saw CSA coming out of her house to fetch her little daughter from the school bus. She shook her head at their loving kisses and turned to the bird cage. She put the lipstick in the bird nest saying that she felt too ashamed about it to even throw away the lipstick. Later on, her husband came home, she was lying in bed. He asked her what is she doing there. She got up with a whining face, and her husband asked what happened. She told him that it's nothing, she had a small accident at the market. Husband just dismissed it saying why she is not being more careful, and then said let's eat, I'm hungry. Cut to SJE in the kitchen doing stuff with a heavy heart while the husband just commented on the birds looking better and that they should find them new feed, shall they order online? She replied whatever, and went inside the restroom. In there, she thought about the little caring things that YJW did to her and started crying, with the monologue that liddi shared in her post above.

YJW in school talking to his student. We found out that his parents got divorced recently and he claimed that he thought CSA was his mother because they look very much alike. YJW asked him to apologize to SJE but he insisted that she is a liar too. If she doesn't want settlement, then just send him to correctional facility.

SJE at home drinking medicine from her MIL who is cleaning the kitchen. She got a call from CSA which she hang up abruptly, earning questioning from MIL. SJE said it's just spam, but she got a text from CSA asking to meet later that day at 3pm. SJE walked out of her building, intending to throw the sneakers into recycling bin but as she was considering, CSA walked over and reminded her to make time for her later.

YJW is at a shoe repair shop to repair the heels. The man told him it's easier to just throw them away since they're old pair of shoes anyway. He insisted on repair.

At the market, SJE was putting labels on products when a text from YJW came in, first asking how she is and whether she is taking the medicine regularly. Then he asked to meet to return her heels. She told him to just throw them away, but he sent a photo that the heels are fixed. He told her to contact him at any time convenient for her. She continued her work, but pasted the labels upside down because she was nervous. She walked away when super annoying sunbae came by. And she became dizzy and started seeing images of YJW all over the market. She squatted down and wanting to delete the messages from YJW but the kind sunbae came by and rushed her into the employee room to rest because she is still feverish. She opened her locker and saw the sneakers, then peeked at her phone again, intending to delete, but hesitated again.

CSA arrived at the market, and slipped SJE a business card of a hotel, asking her to make sure to come later, she would be waiting. Later on, SJE went to the hotel to meet her, she asked why CSA asked her to come? when she already said that she doesn't wish to see her again. CSA just asked SJE directly what she thinks of the teacher?

To be continued....

To be continued...

Recap part 2

Spoiler

CSA arrived at the market, and slipped SJE the business card of a hotel, asking her to make sure to come later, she would be waiting. Later on, SJE went to the hotel to meet her, she asked why CSA asked her to come? when she already said that she doesn't wish to see her again. CSA just asked SJE directly what she thinks of that man, the teacher? I see that you rather like him

SJE: Are you crazy?! 

CSA: Strong denial means strong confirmation. Looks like it's true.

SJE: Don't take me to be someone like you. I'm definitely not that kind of a woman.

CSA: That kind of woman? Interesting...

SJE: If there is nothing else, I'm leaving (got up and about to leave)

CSA: Have you looked into the mirror? You're just like a wilting rose. Just by being still, flowers can dry up, There is no need to struggle much. For the coming 70 years, is it just going to be dryness?

SJE: What are you trying to say actually?

CSA: Just that I feel that you're wasting your youth.

SJE: For a moment, I did long for a life like yours 10 years from now, but I never thought that you're an easy woman who hook up with any guy. (turned to leave)

CSA: Over here, Teacher (waving to YJW who just arrived)

SJE was shocked and became rather awkward while YJW apologized for being late. CSA just smiled. They sat down with papers to sign for settlement. YJW handed SJE her heels. He apologized and thanked them for settling. CSA said just with words? YJW asked what he can do for her? CSA suggested for him to date with her for one day since it seems to be fate that they met. YJW stuttered "A date?" CSA continued saying that he knows full well what she means, why is he feigning ignorance. SJE yelled at CSA "What's wrong with you really?"  CSA said that it's a good proposal, she is an attractive woman after all, right Teacher? YJW apologized and excused himself by saying that they can sign the settlement paper another time. He got up and left. SJE asked CSA "are you insane?" to which she replied "can you continue living without being insane? I can't." SJE also got up and left, forgetting the heels in the paper bag again. CSA picked it up and went up to the hotel room for a rendezvous with yet another young man.

SJE was pushing her bicycle near a park when she passed YJW who was taking picture of a flower (the Morning Glory). She walked up to him and asked what he's doing. She apologized about earlier, that the joke went too far. He replied it doesn't look like she was joking. SJE was about to say something but changed her mind and quickly left on her bicycle, but she stopped and turned back. She approached YJW again and told him the truth that his student was telling the truth. They then squat down and talked about the flower. He told her the meaning of the flower and revealed that he is a biology teacher which is why he knew so much about it. Then he got a reminder from his phone to go to the airport. SJE asked who is coming? He told her about his wife coming back from the US. They acknowledged that they're both a married person. YJW then left. SJE looked at the flower again and smiled just very slightly.

At the airport, YJW was standing far behind an older man. When his wife came out, she hugged him first instead of her dad who was standing more in front. In the car, she was being cuddly with YJW while Dad is seated at the back, but he seems rather uneasy with the show of affection. He also apologized to the father.

SJE is pushing her bicycle on a street, smiling and thinking about YJW telling her he is a married person. She belatedly realized she is right in front of her husband's office, so she made a call to him. He was walking out with his female colleague, but lied to her that he is on his way out with his superior. They missed each other.

At the house of YJW's in-laws, all seated to have dinner. FIL talked about the two of them moving to a bigger unit since his wife is back because his place was more suitable for living alone. Don't worry about the money. YJW was reluctant and the wife also think it's not a rush. Anyway, she is going to stay at her parents for a few days before going back home.... (I wonder why though?? 3 years apart!!)

CSA driving her older daughter home. She thought about her earlier rendezvous, then daughter asked about her day (to which she lied), and then demanded a tutor.

SJE's husband and colleague arrived at a flat, inspecting the residence of an old lady. The lady has a dementia I think. She forgot that she has a son, and then she mistaken them to be a couple and that the female colleague is pregnant with child but why isn't it showing. The both of them just laughed at it.

In the evening, SJE on her laptop looking at Morning Glory, and thought about YJW explanation earlier. She thought "His voice was ringing in my ears all day long. I cannot understand why I'm like this”. “Am I lying when I say that I immediately stopped [thinking about him] the moment I heard he is married?" (cr.to @liddi for more correct interpretation)

CSA busy preparing her house to receive guests. Meanwhile, Artist Do called her husband and complained about not being able to draw for them. Husband invited him over to his house since he is having an event. The doorbell rang and she was shocked to see one of her lovers in the screen. She quickly call SJE to help her. SJE ignored the call at first but ended up picking it up anyway. The doorbell kept ringing while CSA hesitated to go answer the door. Husband came and said he will do it. Lover Boy was about to say something to the husband but SJE came rushing and telling him no, that's the house. She apologized for the mistake and introduced herself as neighbor from next building. CSA came out and they exchanged some pleasantries. SJE pulled Lover Boy away. After chiding herself in her mind for helping CSA when she should meet with consequences of her affairs, she scolded Lover Boy for coming this way and asked him to give up since CSA is a married woman. He begged with her to help her, and the end of their conversation was overheard by SJE's MIL who was passing by. Lover Boy even knelt down to beg SJE to help him. MIL shocked and sank to the ground.

CSA answered the door for Artist Do. He went in and handed the manuscript back to CSA's husband, just then a group of people arrived for the housewarming party. They all went inside.

SJE arrived at home and realized she left the sneakers at the locker, so she went out to get it. She saw her MIL taking pictures of the license plate of nearby parked cars. She asked her what she is doing. MIL also asked where she is going, but SJE is giving a vague answer about going back to the market to pick up something. MIL became more suspicious.

At CSA's home. Everyone out in the garden dining and wining. CSA sat in the kitchen while Artist Do in the living room, drawing.

To be continued

To be continued...

@ktcjdrama I think my interpretation of what SJE was thinking is this:

Spoiler

"Am I lying when I say that I immediately stopped [thinking about him] the moment I heard he is married?"

Can those who have watched Hirugao tell us how closely this version follows the original thus far? During the press conference, PD KJM did say it will be 16 eps after all, which is significantly longer than the original. They're halfway through the filming, and I am already trying to prepare for the worst after reading what PHS said about hoping it will have a thoroughly sad ending :(

5 hours ago, liddi said:

Can those who have watched Hirugao tell us how closely this version follows the original thus far? During the press conference, PD KJM did say it will be 16 eps after all, which is significantly longer than the original.

Very close except there are some differences in some scenes and some dialogues. In the original, episode 1 is comprised of 1 and 2 episodes in the K drama that is why K is longer. 

Spoiler

There was no hospital stint in the J drama. Somehow, K dramas like hospitals.  Also, SJE's sentiments were more poetic in the K drama. In the J drama when the there was a fire in the first scene of the drama in the evening which Sawa the equivalent of SJE witnessed in her balcony. In the morning after serving her husband breakfast and preparing his clothes for work she got dressed to go out to work with husband and at the elevator, husband told her your sneakers are not tied. When she bent down to tie her shoes, the husband took the elevator pressed it closed and left her. She never wore heels to work. When she got on her bike is when she said: "It must be hard on the people whose house got burnt down to lose everything they have cherished. I don't have anything that I consider precious in my house so it could burn down and would not hurt. Maybe if the house got burnt, I would be able to go back to where life was like before." It does not really say what she meant by what it was like before if she meant before she got married which for me was what she was saying because she is obviously not happy in this marriage. Also the husband had pet hamsters and not birds. At the lipstick scene, Sawa fell and hurt her hand. At the police station, Kitano the biology teacher offered to take her to the hospital but she refused and left angry at Rikako and on the way home she talked to God saying she was sorry for what she did and she asked if that woman deserves punishment for hurting her husband and her 2 beautiful daughters just for a frivolous affair and that she hated the woman. Rikako also arranged for them 3 to meet at the hotel for settlement of the police affair with the student. When they met, Rikako insulted Kitano who walked out angry for the same reason that JW was angry at SA. Rikako went to her hotel room to meet a lover and looked at the window witnessing Kato bent down digging under a tree in the hotel lawn for bugs and talking to Sawa about the smelly monogamous beetles he was collecting. They had a conversation about beetles where a laughing Sawa said the beetles are yucky and then they parted but then she turned her bike back to talk to Kitano and tell him that she wanted him to know that she lied, that she did not know Rikako who just moved into her neighborhood. She obviously did not want Kitano to think that she is like Rikako. Kitano observed her shoes untied and bent down to tie it for her showing her to tie a better knot which touched Sawa, different from how her husband who used her untied shoes to leave her while he took the elevator. At home Sawa asked herself why she could not help but think of his voice and started researching the smelly beetles. In school, while Kitano was lecturing about the monogamous beetles his thoughts showed Sawa's laughing face and at his desk he was talking to the beetles he collected saying, "so she thinks we are smelly" laughing. 

Next scene is the party at Rikako's house where her husband invited the staff to talk about the article his magazine published of women having afternoon affairs. Sawa not knowing there was a party went to see Rikako with the intention of telling her to tell her boyfriend not to bother Sawa at work asking for favors to help him see Rikako. When she was at the door and told Rikako about her lover boy, the husband came to the door and was introduced to Sawa as the neighbor. The husband then invited Sawa who  was pulled by Rikako to join the party. When they were all seated the subject went to the fire and husband said that it was not accidental that it was arson caused by the wife who caught her husband cheating. Sawa then said that it could be the other way around that it was the wife having the affair and the husband was the one who got killed. Then the doorbell rang and as Rikako went to answer the door it was the boyfriend. Sawa then rescued Rikako again telling everyone that it was her brother who came to get her because she told him that she will be at Rikako's house. Sawa told Rikako that she did it for her children's sake. In the kitchen Rikako was taking beer out of the refrigerator not knowing that the artist was drawing at a chair nearby. Her husband went to get the beer and told Rikako that he thinks the man who rang the doorbell was not Sawa's brother but her boyfriend. Rikako said that it could not be but husband said that Rikako does not know much about people and to stay away from Sawa. When husband left, Rikako leaned at the refrigerator her face pensive. She told Sawa at the hotel that after the third year of marriage her husband thought of her as a refrigerator a useful appliance. When the husband left, artist Kato stood up and showed her his drawing it was a simple linear drawing which looked like her but also like a refrigerator. END of ep one

@zenya22 Thank you so much for the detailed comparison between the two versions. From what I can see, Sawa and SJE are two very different characters, the latter leading a far more miserable life compared to her feisty J-counterpart, eliciting a sympathetic reaction to her plight pretty much from the get-go. Am I mistaken or Rikako's husband's treatment of her seems to be more flippant compared to CSA's, who seems thus far to dote on her? I like Kitano's quip about smelly bugs, which shows he associates himself as one of them. Guess that won't be true for long either. Is there any mention of the morning glory flower in the original, which appears to be the prevalent theme in this version?

Can I just say how impressed I am that the adaptation is thus far staying true to the original yet presenting its own spin on a familiar story? The smelly bugs of the original indicates the current mindset of a preferred state of monogamy, while morning glory of the remake portends what is to come for both of them. And how devastatingly on point is that drawing of Kitano's in reflecting Rikako's current situationjust as DHY's sketch captures the true essence of who CSA is inside. Brilliantly done.

Now you have me wondering if I should watch the original as well, or at least perhaps pace myself so that it is on par with what is aired, thus ensuring I do not spoil the story for myself until I have actually watched the Korean version. Decisions decisions.

@ktcjdrama Incidentally, saw another C-translation of SJE's above-mentioned monologue which says:

"Upon hearing he is married, [I thought], 'It's fine, I'm relieved.' Could that be a lie?"

Will be interested to see how the English subs interpret her words. Not for the first time, I wish I actually understood Korean. Gah.

Last part of recap

Spoiler

At CSA's home. Everyone out in the garden dining and wining. CSA sat in the kitchen while Artist Do in the living room, drawing. She saw her little daughter talking to him and he responded warmly to her. CSA prepared a pot of flower tea and brought it to Artist Do. She reminded her daughter not to disturb the ahjusshi because he is a guest of her father. Little girl said goodbye to him and left the living room. She commented that he doesn't seem to drink wine so have tea instead please. He just kept quiet, not responding to her. A while later, one of the staff came out of the toilet a little bit tipsy, and he invited Artist Do to join them outside instead of drawing inside. But he quickly grew impatient and started yelling at Do for ignoring/looking down at him as usual. He went forward but fell. CSA quickly rushed to him but was held back by Do. Husband came and reprimanded the staff for always causing a scene whenever he is drunk. Do eventually left the party in a huff, not realizing he dropped a page of drawing.

YJW at his desk looking at the pictures he took earlier and he saw one pic of SJE that he took accidentally. He thought about their conversation earlier, and then his phone rang. It's the wife, asking if he'll be home that night, sorry but he'll be busy and working late. She cheerfully announced to him that she was recruited by HanKook University, to which he said congratulations but she said that he said it without any excitement at all. He told her he would just go back to his place instead of going to find her at her parent's home that night since he'd be late.

It's evening and CSA clearing the living room and picked up the drawing dropped by Artist Do. It's a sketch of a dancing female. She was stunned by it. Husband came by, snatched it, took a look before mocking his work and throwing it on the floor again. CSA picked it up and went to dig up some old photos of her dancing. Flashback to her dancing while she looks at the drawing. 

SJE reached her locker and took out the sneakers. She thought about some of her encounters with YJW while thinking about the meaning of the flower again, comparing it to "affairs" that also started slowly and taking deep roots slowly. And as she walked home with her bicycle, she accidentally met YJW at a park. They exchanged long meaningful look. Cut to YJW's wife arriving at his house. She looked around the house and amused that there is not a single photo of her on display. When he noticed her shoelace is untied, he bent down to help her. Cut to SJE's husband with his female colleague toasting with coffee at a mini-mart. Her narration started (see liddi's post above). Cut to YJW's wife looking fondly at his picture, cut to Do arriving at home, cut to CSA looking at her image in the mirror and feeling down. Back to SJE and YJW. She said nothing after he tied up her laces and just rushed away, and cycling with all her might along a bridge as she said out her prayer. ~ end of episode 2

@liddi Earlier I was watching with the subs from Hanmi. And for this last part, I was using the one from TSKS. I saw that their translation is very different at the part when SJE was thinking in front of her laptop. I have noticed that TSKS usually has a better (closer to original) translation than Hanmi. I should make sure to watch with TSKS next time.

Just now, liddi said:

@ktcjdrama I noticed that too, but will probably watch both versions to compare (as if I needed any reason to rewatch anyway).

Wonder what the ratings are for Ep2, and what K-viewers have to say about the drama.

Haha, I sometimes do that too for conversations that I wanted to be more sure of. At times using English subs too.

@triplem any k-nets reaction from melohwa about this show?

9 hours ago, liddi said:

They might have gravitated naturally towards each other through their similar temperaments, but perhaps not taken any further steps beyond the perfunctory greetings, since they both view affairs as forbidden.

Been thinking about this... Maybe I should wait until more is shown before commenting, but here goes... Sure they both are appalled with the idea of having affairs. However, circumstances might throw them to go find respite in each other. We've been shown how unexcited YJW is about his wife coming home, and her being so cheerful about her new post and a chance to move to Seoul, obviously does not align with what he wants for himself. They might have a disagreement soon on this matter. As for SJE, in the preview of ep.3, we saw that husband is yelling at her about the birds, and she finally voiced out her frustration about being called Omma of the birds.

@ktcjdrama It is possible, but I wonder what circumstances would have gotten them engaging with one another if it had not been for the forced proximity due to her accident, all of which was due to CSA. With SJE's character, would she really have reached out to another person much less a man, when she is so withdrawn and isolated emotionally? I don't know.

Isn’t it like fate/destiny that they keep crossing paths? The helping with bottled water, the dosirak at mini-mart. SJE was already feeling something for YJW that made her feel awkward and shy around him. And then CSA being her new neighbor, caught her stealing and using her as alibi. YJW being the student’s teacher. I mean it’s as if they’re meant to be entangled together. Thus for me, it’s very interesting that SJE ended her monologue pleading to God not to test her. 

Never mind me, just sharing my thoughts out loud. Not that I’m approving their affairs :sweatingbullets:

Anyway, the writer is already laying the way that SJE’s affairs will surely be found out, with the MIL suspecting her meeting another man (CSA’s lover boy) and already playing detective by snapping pictures of license plates. 

5 hours ago, liddi said:

Thank you so much for the detailed comparison between the two versions. From what I can see, Sawa and SJE are two very different characters, the latter leading a far more miserable life compared to her feisty J-counterpart, eliciting a sympathetic reaction to her plight pretty much from the get-go. Am I mistaken or Rikako's husband's treatment of her seems to be more flippant compared to CSA's, who seems thus far to dote on her? I like Kitano's quip about smelly bugs, which shows he associates himself as one of them. Guess that won't be true for long either. Is there any mention of the morning glory flower in the original, which appears to be the prevalent theme in this version?

@liddiNo, there is no morning glory in the J version. Kitano was into bugs.  I see Sawa as more frustrated and angry while SJE seems to be on the verge of depression if not already there. Rikako also said that marriage is for stability not love. So she regards her marriage as security and her husband also seems to think that way. I give you stability in exchange for being the ideal wife. Maybe Rikako would have wanted to be romanced by her husband. She said that to one of her lovers that a woman needs to be romanced which he answered that it was an afternoon liaison and he did not think she was there to talk about romance. Also the J version, Rikako had met Kato going into the house and she actually flirted and tapped his face then showed a dead bug in her palm. Kato said resentfully that he did not want to eat food in her house but still showed up. Rikako said she knew he was a painter and wanted him to paint her. Kato ignored her but later drew her anyway. Kato's drawing was to show Rikako how he saw her which I thought was more insensitive different from the drawing of DHY in K drama which was more perceptive and touchy? I kind of like DHY's drawing more.

Archived