[Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인

0ly40

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both episodes are subbed. I just watched them. I really liked them.

I am on some discord server but nobody seems to watch this. Then i saw that here is some good discussion going on. So i signed up just for this :)

Have to do some reading.

A few first thoughts.

Regarding the pregnancy test.

I've read a post somehwere here that suggests that she might be pregnant from someone else when she was in America. I didnt even think of that but after the scene today it kind of makes sense. That "Oh no it cant be" doesnt seem like a reaction she would have if she's not pregnant. Do they even have sex? There isnt really anything that would suggest that they are intimate.

But it's still a kdrama so you never know... 

I recently watched Mama - Nothing to Fear. The husband is having an affair, she suspetcs things. When he tries to get intimate she understandably blocks him. At some point the whole thing blows up as well. Then a few episodes later she suddenly thinks she might be pregnant. And i am sitting there wondering what happened.

But coming back to NMY.. How long has it been since she has been back? Could she be pregnant from before?

1 hour ago, Fabbo said:

I've read a post somehwere here that suggests that she might be pregnant from someone else when she was in America. I didnt even think of that but after the scene today it kind of makes sense. That "Oh no it cant be" doesnt seem like a reaction she would have if she's not pregnant. Do they even have sex? There isnt really anything that would suggest that they are intimate.

Welcome to the thread and to soompi!!

We're wondering about that too... Either they got intimate (previously she did ask to make babies with JW) and she was just plainly disappointed that she isn't pregnant yet...

Or, she had sex with a lover in the US, realized she could be pregnant, so came home sooner than planned, and tried to get intimate with her husband. They didn't do it, and now she got a test that came out positive and she is frustrated what to do about it.

Whether or not they made love was purposely not shown. We're only shown JW hugging her and looking at the faraway bed.

Hm every scene when she tried to approach him or even talk to him he was very cold and distant. It's so weird for the drama to leave that out if it happened. And how would the affair effect that? Would he still sleep with his wife?

It doesnt quite add up. If she realized she is pregnant and came back to korea earlier because of it. She has been back for a few weeks now(?). But it seems like she just took the test and realizes it? Or maybe she already knew but she keeps taking tests because she is trying to deny it.

I am not too big of a fan of it. It's not cool how she treats him and is ashamed of him, doesnt want to register the marriage etc. He doesnt put any effort into their relationship though. They have their problems but it seemed like something they could work on.

Unlike the situation with Ji-Eun which felt like watching a horror movie and after the first 5-10 minutes i just wanted her to do whatever it takes to get out of there. It's very easy to pick sides there.

The other marriage seemed a bit more complex and also morally ambigious when it comes to the affair. But with NMY having a lover, even getting pregnant and wanting to hide it it kind of feels like an easy way out for the viewer. Like see what she has done. Something to morally justify his behavior.   

Re-watching with subs.

There was a very very brief moment in ep. 08 where I felt bad for Soo-Ah's husband. As he watched his wife in the arms of another man, his eyes appear to tear up - was it anger/envy/guilt/regret or all of the above?? He saw how happy Soo-Ah was; obviously he hasn't given  her many reasons to be happy lately... and yet I can't (feel sorry for him) LoL:P To think back all those other times he disrespected her & treated her as if she was beneath him<_<

I don't know why Jung-Woo's wife is so eager to have a child when she hasn't displayed any sort of maternal instinct, unlike Ji-Eun. I don't understand why/how they got married LoL. She obviously doesn't see him as her equal nor does she regard him as such. As I've mentioned before the drama is just making it look convenient for the spouses to cheat. There've been instances where spouses still cheat despite havin' contented marital lives. We're only human eh? 

And what of that sudden backhug from Ji-Eun's husband?!:blink: Didn't change anything as he griped the house was untidy & the fridge was empty OY.:rolleyes:

Korean women sure are excellent at hair pulling aren't they!? I guess Ji-Eun better start wearing a helmet from now on...y'know just in case:w00t: Do's ex was playin' coy when she showed paintings of his to Soo-Ah's husband tsk. tsk. She knew well what she was doing.

Ah---so that's why that annoying male student kept making things difficult for Jung-Woo. He was projecting his anger stemming from his parents onto him.  

Haha yes the hair pulling stuff.. I love Park Shin-hye in Doctors for that she just straight up punches the other girls in the face or kicks them somewhere where it hurts. Instead of this stupid and comedic hair pulling stuff between women.

And yeah the scene with the husband kind of suprised me and i liked it. I still have him in mind from Spring turns to Spring where he plays the typical kdrama cheating husband. Goofy and exaggerated, pretty pathetic. Or the biggest joke on planet. Always hard to see why the female lead married him and also hard to see what his lover finds so attractive about him or why she thinks he is such a good catch. The affairs are filled with exaggerated and ridiculous situations to highlight how naive the female lead is. 

So yeah i am glad we dont have that here. 

Oh and i actually liked the scenes with the mom. Asking his colleague who the f she is :D

Morning!

My take on NMY is that she might have had an affair In US but things turned out wrong .  That's why she came back suddenly.  She obviously doesn't treat JW as a equal as she tells others that he has a doctorate and that she wants him to get out of what she thinks is a crappy school.

I love the MIL.  She might be meddlesome.  But she does it with a good heart.  And she dotes on JE.  the scene where she ask the intern why she calls her mum is seriously funny.  :P

I love this week's episodes. I love how the secret affairs of our OTP progresses to the next level (I can't believe I am actually approving affairs. not one but two affairS). But how can I not when the secret affair's loves are more genuine and healthy compared to the toxic marriages. Non of them have/had a healthy marriage including Artist Do and his ex wife.But luckily they are divorced but still the ex wife clings on him and wants to use him as business pawn. 

I love that Ji Eun is being more bold and arranging excursions to mee YJW. And i love that her moral walls crumbles and she put herself first before others. She wants to be happy and she is willing to take the risk. I thought she felt guilty when she get a call in the middle of making out with YJW and came back to a 'softer' husband but apparently her love for MR Biology teacher is stronger. It's true as she said, the moment she started the affair, all the lingering feelings and hope she wants from the husband disappear so what ever mr birdman did now is nothing. 

Lee Sang Yeob stare is dangerous. He is a man with few words but the way she looks at Ji Eun, you know she cannot escape from him. "He is holding her with his stares not words." I still believe that  this is the first time both of them are really in love hence they are acting like 17 year old. Same as how Ah Jin (Soo Ah's daughter and YJW student kind of love) but of course with a bit extra (sleeping together :w00t:).

I know many of you said that you cannot feel when is the moment Soo Ah is falling head over heels of artist Do and vice versa. But I think I can understand them. Their love connection are more subtle though their action is bolder than SJE-YJW. Being emotionally surpressed for at least 17 years DHY seems like the first person who knows who she is even before she told him anything. He makes her his muse when he came over to the house and draw her as a ballerina. Eventhough it is his imagination but CSA was caught by surprised how well can he draw her exactly as what she used to be in her ballet days. To her he is her savior who understands her when her own husband don't (I am so shocked to know that he does not even know she used to do ballet. I wonder how much he know about his wife). That is why she is chasing for his love and luck is on her side because this struggling artist also fall for her just like her other '3pm affairs'. 

For DHY, he found his muse after 3 years struggling to find one and come out with great masterpiece. Drawing CSA awakens the great artist inside him. 

I love this weeks episodes and worried for next week's episodes. Seems like both of our couple will face danger and tough decision. I hope it won't last long and they can resolve it ASAP. 

I definitely think YJW's wife is having an affair on the side. Her character seems very conflicting and hypocritical. Remember how she said "oh am I the only one without a boyfriend??" - it might be a joke but who knows. She might have gone out and find one that is why she started suspecting her husband of having an affair. You only starts to suspect others of the same crime you commit because you feel guilty of yourself. Is her storyline the same in the Japanese version as well? Somebody fill me in!

Oh i dont think the ex wife wants to use him just as a business pawn. She might still have feelings for him or at least she cares about him. She is worried that the affair might harm him. Maybe there is also a bit of jealousy involved. That's why she wants to break off the affair but she doesnt want everyone to know. (She makes hints towards the husband but she tells the assistant off)

If there is anything I have learnt from Ep8, it is that the solution to all the unhappy couples' problems is the brainstorm of aunt Soon-Ae, with the all-effective "Do a good job" :D Is it too late to distribute the miracle pill among the troubled couples and see everything fall into place with happy endings for all? :P

But seriously... since I think "Do a good job" is a little too late for our couples...

For the first time, YJW's reticence and passiveness begins to get on my nerves. The fact that he does not stand up for himself but only drags NMY away when she tells outright lies about his intended length of service at the school and insisting that the principal fired him, is a disturbing, unpromising indication that he would perhaps be equally passive about SJE when their affair blows up in their faces. Would he stand up for her, for them when it comes down to it? Or would he allow himself to be cowed by stronger external forces once more. It is already troubling that he does not appear to really consider the consequences of their affair, nor does he appear to think of breaking up with NMY when they are not even legally married. When the backlash happens, and it will happen, will YJW be firm enough to stand by SJE's side, after all his declarations of wanting to stay with her? All this while, we have only heard SJE's monologue about how she feels, and the steps she is willing to take to be with him, even in the face of opposition of everyone who condemns her love as something less. We shall see whether their resolve to be together come what may, remains as firm, when the truth is revealed.

Much as I am happy for CSA and her new lease in life, I find their carelessness in their rendezvous by the beach to be incredibly frustrating. Knowing that her husband already suspects her, does she not think that he would somehow be keeping tabs on her? The fact that she did not even consider the possibility, and was even oblivious that he put a GPS tracker in her car, made it such a painful watch, knowing that they are already found out. LYJ's panicked search for them among the camper vans indicates that he is overwhelmed by what he already knows he will find, but needs to see for himself. Is it due to fury that he is being cuckolded, or devastation out of some remnants of love he still has for her, or perhaps a combination of both? Thus far, he has been seen as crass and nasty so it is a given that there will be hell to pay at the end of it all. CSA is perhaps the most financially dependent among the two women while her lover is a starving artist, so she is at a massive disadvantage as and when her husband decides to retaliate against them both. 

DHY's ex-wife is an enigma. I believe she still loves him despite their divorce, even to the extent of asking that his name be removed from the book so as not to be associated with such a subpar work when she promotes his art in Europe. Yet she is not above maliciously showing LYJ the painting with the tell-tale earring. Is it to break up the affair through LYJ, knowing her university friend well enough as she does? Why then did she tell DHY never to tell anyone the identity of his lover? Does she think that on his own, DHY will never be able to leave the woman he loves, and that there is a need for a forced separation to put an end to the affair? If she discerns CSA to be DHY's muse, does she believe that the experience of a cruel separation would propel DHY into greater heights in terms of his work? I don't know.

From the very brief glimpse of the pregnancy test kit, I don't believe NMY is pregnant. If so, she is probably trying to conceive in a last-ditch effort to grasp on to YJW, whom she instinctively realises loves someone else. I wonder if she already suspects the other woman to be SJE since she has been asking rather leading questions, though I can't really see the basis for that yet.

It is also unexpected to see JCK suddenly warm and far more understanding to his wife after the years of emotional abuse. Why the sudden change of heart? To be honest, if YJW never came into her life, would his change of attitude towards her be enough for SJE to try and salvage their marriage? Or could it be his change is due to her behaving differently around him now, riddled by guilt as she is. Do her outbursts finally make him realise the kind of hell she has been enduring for so long? I don't believe he has even any inkling that she is conducting an affair at the moment, so that could be possible. In which case, I really wish SJE had lashed out long ago, if only to make herself heard in her marriage, instead of enduring to the brink of depression until she goes down the path of no return.

Just watched the subbed eps 7 and 8 and catching up on your posts. 

The pregnancy test stick fell to the ground as NMY tossed it to the floor. Is anyone else confused about what the results might be? I’m still suspecting that she’s already pregnant. By someone else. I don’t remember if there was a scene where she and YJW slept together (?) after she returned from abroad.

I do not support a YJW-NMY reconciliation. I’m rooting for the writer to find any reason that these two separate forever. She doesn’t deserve him. And life is too short for him to continue living with a wife like that. I also cannot imagine a scenario where NMY changes into a better woman, a better wife. 12 episodes is too short for that miraculous change. Maybe 54 episodes (?) B)

on another note:

I love CSA’s youngest daughter! She is adorable. 

With all this talk about the drama ending in 4 eps, something struck me.

In terms of plot comparison, K-version Ep8 comes up to Ep5 of 11 in the J-version, which means the original is not even up to halfway done with its narrative.

Do we have any confirmation whether it is a 12 or 16-episoder?

As for the group photos, I love that SJE appears in a scene with her MIL following the time jump. As @triplem mentioned, SJE's MIL does always seem to care for her daughter-in-law despite her fusspot ways (Kim Mi Kyung is an absolute riot and brilliant as always!), so I hope we will see that the affection is still mutual regardless of how her marriage turned out in the end. 

Archived