[Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인

0ly40

So proud of Soo-Ah's eldest!:thumbsup:

The husband kept demanding Soo-Ah to fill up his cup at breakfast and the eldest daughter's retort was, "Don't you have hands!?".. And then she adds, "If ever my husband mistreats me the same, I'd get rid of him!" WooHoo! I was applauding:D

Soo-Ah may be married to an @$$ but at the very least, she's blessed with 2 adorable daughters, I love the youngest LoL - So Cute! 

Soo-Ah's husband is a hypocrite. Just 'cause his wife has a lover, he can't accept it. As if he's any better sheesh:P

LoL at Ji-Eun's MIL that after 3 years of marriage the couple still have no kids. She thinks her son is sterile ha-ha. It's ridiculous that they go to bed holding hands. Really LoL!? 

Ooo that backhug & kiss at the end...although I'm worried for what would come next when all is revealed in coming episodes... It'd be like Armageddon~ :unsure::crazy:  

Great post as always @liddi 

The drama seem to simply skimp over the details over all 3 couples probably so it's easier to accept why they feel the need to go astray maybe Idk? 

@triplem

Yup timing is everything. But the fact that very little is known of the 3 couples backstories like how they met etc. It's hard to see what their motivations are for their marriage other than mere convenience?  

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all this Ji Eun's monologue, why do I feel she got married to Bird Lover due to family arrange? Or more precisely his mother's arrangement. I have a feeling the MIL in law is so fond of her and ask to marry her son maybe after one blind date. Being the nice and naive girl she married him and thinks that she loves him. Or probably she is indebted to hi and her MIL.  Looks like, she first just figure out what is love and what is the happiness of being in love with YJW. She's really like a teenager falling in love for the first time. And she is brave enough to go against the world but not letting the man she loves go. 

8 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Place Forest

Timing Thursday 3-5 pm.

JW : I always make a note in this timing. Do you want to join me? 

Bwahahahaha...... 

Is that the English subs? 

@liltash85 SJE mentioned to CSA that her husband is her first love, her only love and her last love. She has never dated anyone else but her husband. I have impression they know each other from school. 

I agree with the k-netz comment above. This drama is mermerizing. The cinematography, the acting, script, and the narration. When Ji Eun has her narration, sometimes I think "Ahhh this is true! I understand you! Oh, this is so real."

Episode 6 is a huge step for Ji Eun and Jung Woo. I can't wait for their next story but on the other side I sometimes feel sorry for Jung Woo's wife. What a mixed feeling.

Anyway this is totally a recommended drama. I actually have expectation on this drama. Lee Sang Yeob fits his role perfectly although we have seen his comical babo side for a while. He's back into serious role. While Park Ha Sun with her melo side. They are so great!

13 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Ep.6 was a great episode. I have mixed feelings again. Happy to see them finally embracing their true feelings, yet sad for them knowing they are doing something so wrong that will only have sad consequences...

I'm really curious whyyyyyy if really not feeling anything anymore with their spouses, they don't just opt for a divorce and then can be together openly? Not that I encourage divorce... Both require courage, and I'd think having an affair is so much more difficult to own up to than asking for a divorce.

The habitual liar NMY to maintain good "face" is at it again. Makes me wonder which are the things she said to her husband that is truth or lie...

Re: NMY - I agree. I’m wondering if she’s already pregnant by someone else — which is why she is trying so hard to have a baby with JW (?) Just speculating here (and secretly hoping it’s true :lol:). Besides their common interest in science, these two are just two pieces of a puzzle that don’t fit together. I like her the least of all the ladies.

@triplem Thank you for the welcome!

1 hour ago, nat_phoenix88 said:

but on the other side I sometimes feel sorry for Jung Woo's wife.

Hm... I don't feel sorry for her at all... She loves herself more. Being separated with him for 3 years by her choice, we don't even know if she remained faithful to him or not, since she previously didn't even mind dating a married person. And upon hearing CSA confession of her afternoon affairs, she wasn't at all shocked and even a little envious. She even lamented that out of the three ladies, she is the one without a lover... She is taking advantage of his kind soul.

5 minutes ago, TomiCh said:

Re: NMY - I agree. I’m wondering if she’s already pregnant by someone else — which is why she is trying so hard to have a baby with JW (?) Just speculating here (and secretly hoping it’s true :lol:). Besides their common interest in science, these two are just two pieces of a puzzle that don’t fit together. 

Whoa, I didn't think of that. But that could be, following my speculations above...

Okay, let's hope together :naughty:

I just rewatching  ep 6 with subtitle... seriously JE  just holding hand with her husband while sleeping! In previous episode we know that JE  did asked for ‘that’ from her husband but he turn her down. In my religion if this kind of thing happened in marriage, the wife could get permission from the syariah law to terminate the marriage/ divorce. Pity her..

i skip most of soo ah scene. Hahaha... her hot scene with bad boy van gogh also did not interest me... unfortunately, ep 6 was full of their scene. Hopefully we got more scene from our otp next week...

9 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Ok i really don't know how this affair couple will end up. The previous dialogue of JE, i have a dilligent husband and he have a sweet wife, kind of true at some level and make me worry. 

We have to remember this monologue is from JE POV and we know she is the sweetest and most innocent among the three. Her husband is a diligent office worker no doubt but as a husband, he is almost useless (I said almost because at least he still provides house and money for her - i assume). 

And we know NMY is not as sweet as ppl thought. She is embarassed her husband is just a teacher and lied to the colleagues. She cannot accept her husband chose a school in suburb instead of choosing a popular school in Seoul.  And she always ask him to accept her parents help just because she is embarassed. So I am not feel sorry for her although normally I back up the first wife. 

I kinda agree that she is already pregnant by someone else that is why she is going full force and desperate to sleep with him.  

Ep6 is a slow burn which brings so many confronting questions to the fore, even as I feel for the characters and hope there is some form of happiness to be found, fearing for them as I see them go down the path of no return.

Through an unexpected external intervention of the damning photo taken by PJM, SJE and YJW have finally taken the first steps to having an affair, though it is arguable that they have not already been unfaithful to their respective spouses in their hearts and mind long before then. "Why do people get ensnared in a forbidden web? If all the people in the world lived only to love the person they are allowed to love, will everyone be happy?" SJE's musings is confronting, yet I have to agree with her question, since the root of the problems here stem from the fact that all of them are no longer happy in their marriages. Whether they have fallen out of love, or were never really in love with each other in the first place, it still stands true that love has indeed gone, for at least one if not both parties. Nonetheless, I cannot help but wonder why they are unable to walk away from their marriage before embarking in an affair. In YJW's case, does it stem from a deep-rooted loyalty to NMY after all they've gone through, or the fact that nothing drastic has happened to justify him leaving her, not just yet anyway? As for SJE, is it lack of financial independence, or her guilt towards someone whom she once loved? I wonder... if the 3rd party had never shown up in their lives, would they have continued to persevere in their respective marriages despite their own unhappiness, perhaps trying to mend what is fractured and save it before it is too late?

CSA's conflict and struggles resonate with me in a way her infidelities did not - breaking down in the face of her daughters' love, seeing them stand up for her to their father over his treatment of her, and the video expressing their adoration and concern. Did it even occur to her during her dalliances in the past, what she is risking - not so much her materially comfortable life, but her children - hurting them because of her affair, and the possibility of losing them, since she is less likely to have custody of them in the event of a divorce. YJW beautifully depicts CSA's fragility and pain even as she puts on a cavalier mask in front of her two confidantes, which SJE astutely realises just how much it must have cost her to be able to say those words... herself now in the same shoes, going through a similar struggle. Yet, ultimately, she still chooses to go to the hotel for an assignation with someone she wasn't even sure to be DHY. Is it in the frail hope that it would be him, despite all that's happened? Or is it out of curiosity? It is clear that she is one who is recklessly driven by her own emotions and needs without considering the consequences. Having used and thrown away countless lovers, did it never occur to her that one might come back to haunt her, having had had some empathy for those she rejected without a thought in the past when DHY pushed her away the first time.

NMY is a strange one to understand. She seems awed by the rampant infidelity that is going on among married women, even wondering if she is the only one without a lover. For someone who is ashamed of her husband's qualifications, not even keen to make their marriage legal, why the sudden eagerness to be pregnant? Does she instinctively feel that YJW is drawing further and further away from him, and she hopes to hold to him with a child of their own? We shall see.

The cross signals between the two husbands at the club are amusing to watch - both unable to quite hear what the other is saying yet agreeing with each other as if they were on the same page, ending with their off-sync toasts. It is also another commentary on how one hears, but does not really hear what the other is speaking yet not bothering to clarify, until both finds themselves on totally different paths despite starting from the same point, because there is no effort to confirm and correct any possible misconception along the way. Is that the issue with all the marriages that are portrayed? Is communication breakdown really the root of their marital problems? Or is there also a disparity where one is unwilling to voice out, while the other is unwilling to see beyond what they want? 

SJE's MIL is a riot. Despite her fusspot and oft-interfering ways, she seems to care for SJE, which SJE herself acknowledges when she suggested bringing her MIL for an outing over the weekend, which her precious son shoots down because he doesn't want to hear her nagging. I had a good laugh when she confronts her son at his workplace, outright asking him if he had erectile dysfunction :D Like many others here, I do wonder why JCK is not sexually interested in his wife, pouring all his passion into his birds instead. Is it because of the old saying that familiarity breeds contempt? Yet he must have loved her once, at least enough to marry her, and we do see a crazy side to him as well when he lets himself loose in the club. I hope this will be answered going forward rather than just simplistically putting the blame on being bored with their mundane lives.

At last, LYJ suspects that his wife is having an affair, something he never even considered possible, very telling by the way he had scoffed when he found lingerie which he obviously never saw her wear, in the laundry basket. Will she admit to her infidelities if he confronts her? He has the upper hand in the marriage, and I do not believe he will forgive and forget, having seen his nasty temperament in the past. Is CSA ready for his retaliation, and by extension DHY?

This drama continues to be well paced and sensitively portrayed, deliberate in its execution yet hitting the mark where it matters, in more ways than one. The performances are all on point, everyone embodying their roles which makes me empathise with them that much more. Am not sure if it is meant to be 12 or 16 episodes due to the conflicting news, but either way, please continue to maintain if not outdo this excellent standard to the end, however painful that end may be.

15 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Is that the English subs? 

@liltash85 SJE mentioned to CSA that her husband is her first love, her only love and her last love. She has never dated anyone else but her husband. I have impression they know each other from school. 

i know she did said that but I still doubt that bird lover is SJE first love. It's either he said that to CSA wearing a nice wife mask or she does not really know what love really means. I believe the later because she really become someone new when she is with YJW. To say that YJW is too different from bird lover is not so. YJW is obsessed with flora and fauna too. just that he looks better as a man. So I do believe SJE never really know what love is prior meeting YJW. 

N I have a feeling they never consummate their marriage. 

17 minutes ago, liltash85 said:

i know she did said that but I still doubt that bird lover is SJE first love. It's either he said that to CSA wearing a nice wife mask or she does not really know what love really means. I believe the later because she really become someone new when she is with YJW. To say that YJW is too different from bird lover is not so. YJW is obsessed with flora and fauna too. just that he looks better as a man. So I do believe SJE never really know what love is prior meeting YJW. 

N I have a feeling they never consummate their marriage. 

I believe marriage is consummated before. No normal man would not do it with a legal wife. Just that husband not too interested in it, so probably never happen again. I am curious when they get the birds. 

I too believe SJE only has one man in her life, and she mistook it as Love of her life. There are many naive women like that out there. 

YJW loves nature indeed, but I won’t call it obsession. He loves nature in general, whereas JCK is obsesssed with Love and Faith. He didn’t like the sickly sparrow. 

@triplem

Interesting. 

Honestly, I find them so dull as a married couple LoL. They have so little in common also. I just find her annoying, it just irks me whenever she shows up eheheh:P She's like..really bossy? Like "Oh why aren't there pictures of me?" or... "Don't you want to have kids?":crazy::rolleyes: 

I'm guessing it's the money that drew Soo-Ah to her husband, or he could've knocked her up & that ended her ballet career Idk. As for Ji-Eun, it definitely looks like a arranged marriage. She's really sweet & feminine and is considered to be the ideal type for most Korean men so why is her husband indifferent!?  

Why is Soo-Ah so candid in sharing with Jung-Woo's wife on her cheating transgressions? It's not like somethin' to be proud of! And to think that Jung-Woo's wife has yet to find out on her husband & Ji-Eun yikes. 

That scene at the club cracked me up too! Especially when they couldn't hear each other:lol:

Yes,  I noticed that segment as well during their dinner!! His wife clearly saw him as the only option at the time and he was convenient to her, just like what he said about the restaurant that she likes. There are a lot of hidden meaning to the dialogues in this drama - I love it!  And CSA definitely got the flu from the artist LOL! 

Archived