Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, 신입사관 구해령

this episode was so good .CP's attitude is  disappointing but i want to believe that he is in a state of turmoil, doesn't really know what to do and is trying to obey his father .so far he has been quite honorable, but this is literally a matter of life and death and he needs time to process it .

the scene where GHR forgives her brother is so beautiful and emotionally heart rendering but i'm glad she chose a path of forgiveness rather than resentment .as for yirim my heart's been breaking for him since the last 3 episodes but i'm hopeful things will work out for all of them .

in tomorrow's preview ghr and yirim hold hands and run off somewhere ,well let's see what tomorrow brings. i am so proud of how he is fighting to get to the root of the matter and claim his heritage ,not necessarily the throne but to get to the truth of what happened ,clear and bear his father's name .my baby eunwoo is killing it .

• Like 7

I was so moved by Rim/Queen Dowager and Haeryung/Jaegyung, as heart-wrenching as both scenes were. But then Yi Jin had to go and break my whole heart with his reaction. I feel like he has to turn back and protect Rim, or else have something up his sleeve to stop the Second State Councilor, tomorrow. But for now I'm very disappointed in him.

Also, I can't believe there's only an hour left of this show! I really hope we get a satisfactory resolution for the palace and a romantic happy ending for our babies.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, G.r.a.s.s said:

Yes I am a little surprised too considering the leads have quite a number of fans :sweatingbullets:.

Btw seems like lots of Chinese fans enjoy this drama -  over at Weibo discussion thread, there are over 10k comments (with 40 millions views).

i have looked up some other recent dramas on soompi forum and looks like traffic is just very slow on the forum generally but there are lots of topics about the drama on reddit  and other viewing sites.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I didn't expect Jin to react strongly like that.. But I still hope his love for Rim will triumph over his desire for the throne.

At this point I think the reality struck him too hard so he's still in denial and isn't ready to accept the truth, so he's kind of lashing out at Rim. But we know Jin is better man than that.. I'll be really disappointed at him if he isn't.

As for Rim, I don't see him actually eyeing to take over the throne, but more of wanting to set the truth free and punish the people behind the injustice that his father and Seoraewon people suffered 20 years ago.

I wish we still have 2-3 more episodes to wrap everything up... I'm a bit worried the last episode will feel rushed.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, kangminjae said:

I was so moved by Rim/Queen Dowager and Haeryung/Jaegyung, as heart-wrenching as both scenes were. But then Yi Jin had to go and break my whole heart with his reaction. I feel like he has to turn back and protect Rim, or else have something up his sleeve to stop the Second State Councilor, tomorrow. But for now I'm very disappointed in him.

Also, I can't believe there's only an hour left of this show! I really hope we get a satisfactory resolution for the palace and a romantic happy ending for our babies.

me too , seems like so much stuff is going on that should have started a while back but im confident it will all be sorted out .writers pls dont give us any open ended finale just settle all the scores. min ik pyeong needs to go though ,whether his head is chopped off or his limbs are chopped off he needs to leave joseon  dead or alive

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@may Robinson, it is indeed a matter of life and death but other people already died a horribly unfair death because of this matter. That’s why I say Yejin is protecting himself and his father.  I can only hope he comes to his senses soon but it looks like Yerim and Hae Ryung are going to extremes in the preview to prevent the coverup of the past. Both Yerim and Hae Ryung’s fathers died horribly unfairly from the portion of the truth that has already been revealed. And if there really wasn’t a fire where there was smoke, second minister monster wouldn’t be so hurried to cover it all up. I hope in this final episode I get the satisfaction of seeing him executed or hearing he was executed. How much blood he has on his hands is probably a lot more than we know from the show. It would be unfair to those he had murdered if the writer doesn’t kill him off. 

• Like 6

Sorry. I am not really following the drama. Where is the scene where the prince was shot by an arrow protecting HR? It suddenly popped up on my FB newsfeed. I don't even know why it did. Now it's bugging me. And none of your spoilers are commenting on it.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Sorry. I am not really following the drama. Where is the scene where the prince was shot by an arrow protecting HR? It suddenly popped up on my FB newsfeed. I don't even know why it did. Now it's bugging me. And none of your spoilers are commenting on it.

Thank you.

The scene happened in episode 33-34 (ep 17 on Netflix). I guess we didn't really comment on it because the arrow wound wasn't very deep (intentionally, as it was not meant to kill him) and he recovered very quickly from it. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Hah. I thought it will be a major scene. Nothing like searching for a scene when you don't know the story. Just no patience for a saguek and I have gone off Kdramas the last month or so. And dropped 4 dramas hallway because of it.

All the best to you all for a satisfying ending. I never know how many saguek dramas have happy endings. There's always too much politics at play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, may Robinson said:

i have looked up some other recent dramas on soompi forum and looks like traffic is just very slow on the forum generally but there are lots of topics about the drama on reddit  and other viewing sites.

May I know what are the other discussion sites/forums for the drama? I'd love to hear more people's thoughts on the drama.

I do think this drama deserves more hype and better ratings. But I read an article some time ago that it's doing pretty well on Netflix. The comments that I read on twitter are mostly positive too. I hope the cast & crew know that many people are loving their work.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, shunnie said:

May I know what are the other discussion sites/forums for the drama? I'd love to hear more people's thoughts on the drama

reddit, my dramalist.com,asian wiki, google review ,drama beans is doing a recap on the series for every 4 episodes, the swoon is a youtube video site run by netflix, they put up clips of the drama and u can comment, etc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have read the comments about the disappointment in the CP. So far, I can not make my mind about it. Did he do what he did to protect his dad (the king) and his own legacy. If the truth is revealed, the king will be disgraced as well as the CP as his son. But I can’t be quiet sure if it’s for this reason he did what he did or for the other reason of still being protective of prince rim. From what it seams, rim dad (the dethroned king)  allowed all sort of new medical and science  development to be brought back to Korea and that why people believed he actually converted to the Catholic faith. If we look at it realistically, most people won’t be happy for that. People in general try to hold for the old cultural believes because if is deeply embedded within their society and change does not come easily. In a way, I can see that the dethroned king, while trying his best to bring knowledge and wealth to his country, maybe he underestimated those who hate change and wants to preserve the norms of their time. If we remember, the CP prince was the one who got angry with Hae Ryun honest answer in the historical exam. She answered using scientific information. But, he criticized her lack of understanding for the social norms around them.  So, maybe that what actually worries him. Maybe, he does not want rim to end up like his dad, being sacrificed by people who really don’t get it and think that the norms of the time is good enough for them. 

On other note, I have spend some time looking at how Korea became catholic. It’s was definitely not a rosy thing. Many Korean lost their life trying to bring the Catholic faith to Korea. They were fascinated with the faith because of It fundamental  principal that all people are born equal and free (while at that time korean has a rigged class classification were most people were considered slaves). The number of people who killed for the cause was the biggest through Asia. It’s funny how we live in our world taking so much for granted these days when not long ago people would die for these things.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

@sirena82, only people who don’t know history take their freedom for granted. Actually, there are many people who are still not free even today and many people who live freely who don’t cherish their freedom. 

Regarding the dethroned king, it seems like the historical daily records that Hae Ryung found exonerated the king on the Catholic charge. Otherwise, why would the head historian say the following:

“The dethroned King wasn’t Catholic and Soraewon was just an educational institution?”

After they realized the truth of the historical daily records, the other historians dropped the papers like hot coals? My understanding of their reaction is that they now realized that the king was set up and the students also died simply for getting a Western education. The entire thing was a setup where a fake letter was used to accuse the dethroned king of inviting a Catholic priest to propagate the religion in Korea. It’s already hinted before that Hae Ryung’s older brother was some way involved in this fake letter.

• Like 6

@celebrianna, thank you. I was just writing so fast. I just made an edit to clarify that he would have actually be seen as a convert due to the modern knowledge of science and medicine he was trying to get his people. I’m still really trying my best to believe that the CP is not really that selfish person who just care for himself and his dad. I mean, so far, he showed to be this person who care for justice and the well-being of people. I hope this situation does not sway him and he stays true to his convections. But, I can also understand that it’s very hard to sacrifice family for beliefs.

• Like 4

@sirena82, I don’t simply see the CP as selfish because I know he’s in a terrible predicament which he inherited as the current king’s son. I don’t think he’s necessarily protecting his position but is more likely trying to eliminate the terrible stain the truth will put on his father and by extension, himself as well. However, the dethroned king, Hae Ryung’s father and the students at Seoraewon all died accused of treason. Their reputation and what history say about them is unfair. I hope the truth isn’t covered up and their names are cleared.

• Like 3

How amazing did Prince Dowon look when he pulled that sword on the soldier?? :o  I mean, it looked so good that I will ignore that it's totally inconsistent with his character, who is a bit weak and coddled, to be so good with a sword.

@sirena82 I'm watching episode 19 now, and having read your comment, I'd like to think that you're right.  After all, the CP's response to GHR was exactly that - the people are uneducated, and they are easily frightened - it's ill-conceived and arrogant to think that with just a few conversations their outlook will change.  How can you teach people who cannot read or write, have likely never left their home town - so cannot understand many societal concepts which are only imparted from books?  It has to be a gradual process.  

I haven't yet got to the part where clearly the CP starts acting against Prince Dowon yet though, but I feel that given his character so far, and that his goal has always been to free the royal family from the second state councillor, he could actually be behaving like that as a show?  You know how often they show us scenes that make it look like our protagonists are losing, but actually they've been colluding with the others all along?  That's what I'm hoping will happen.  If CP turns out to be like his father, I would feel really cheated as I was actually invested in his character.  

Anyone really unnerved with how casually they are just bandying about that historian's daily records? The ones that everyone has been searching for for 20 years??? Of which there is only one copy??  When Prince Dowon was just going to rush off with them to confront Queen Dowager? The King?? (not sure who) I was like 'NOOOOOO YOU COMPLETE IDIOT!  They can just rip it out of your hand and tear it to shreds and then it will have all been for nothing!'  Read it and make a copy!! Make lots of copies!!

• Like 5

It is indeed realistic for people to be afraid of what they don’t know and changes they might feel is not good for their country. However, does this mean that second state minister is justified in his plot to dethrone the king and execute everyone tied to him because  he didn’t agree with the dethrone king’s vision for the country?

Also, from what I understand, the school was teaching poor people like Hae Ryung’s older brother and giving them a chance to read and write. It was not the entire population. It was just a few select young people who were probably used as a sample group to see how educating them would benefit the country. But I suppose every country had their Dark Ages.

• Like 6

@celebrianna, no, the second state minister is not at all justified in killing everybody who were trying to work for the best of their people for his political gain. Nothing justifies that in my opinion and I’m sure most people feel the same. It was just a reading of the reality of the situation. Unfortunately as people were not that educated, they were easily used as a tool by him to kill innocent people and a good king. I mean this happens even in today’s world. I’m not sure if u follow international politics. But, several months ago a Saudi citizen was killed inside the Saudi embassy in Turkey for criticizing the Saudi  royal family. It was a big deal. but u see the problem, He was made to look as the villain for people in his country and the fear was used to create legitimacy and silence voices of reason by their government for such despicable act. I’m just giving an example to show how bad people can use anything to legitimize their actions even in today’s world. If the second state minister was a good official, he would have helped the dethroned king in doing his job well. He could have used his position to do good, create jobs, educate more people, bridging the gab between the other people and those in this medical school. But he chose to get political leverage rather than helping people in his land by doing his evil deeds. 

• Like 3

Can’t back read fast enough and I want to get in on the conversations, so, sorry if this has already been answered, but why is Jin acting as regent when his father is clearly not indisposed and sits in on certain court sessions? Was this the practice in the Korean royal courts back then when CPs who came of age would act as regents as a form of training? 

Watched the latest episode on Netflix last night (love that it’s on Netflix!) and thought it was another wonderful episode. More answers are coming as the intrigue continues to unfold and we now see the tension that is developing between the brothers. I don’t get the sense that Jin is preventing an inquiry because he wants to protect his throne though. As shocking as it was for him to discover who Rim really is, I think he’s trying to buy the time to see how he can prevent more bloodshed which he knows can potentially come with the opening up of the books again. Jin isn’t politically ambitious and actually feels stifled in the palace. He believes his wife is there as a political spy for her father but has kept his distance for 10 years I believe to protect her — if she has nothing on him because of the distancing, her father cannot manipulate her. And now that he knows that Rim’s true identity can harm him if it comes out openly in court, he will do what he can to protect his brother. Jin is, if nothing else, fiercely responsible.

Poor Rim though. How many times did my heart break for him in the last few episodes! He’s a smart child, but forced to live in neglect except for his retinue and occasional visits with the Dowager. He has for most parts lived in much naivety save learning about the world through the stories told to him by Sambo. But as he uncovers more with his coming of age and spending more time with GHR, he is maturing and it’s not just simple curiosities he has now. He wants answers and justice.

And on that note, I have to say I don’t understand the fuss about CEW’s acting. Admittedly, when I first started watching the show, I didn’t know who he was and thought he really had a very pretty boy look. He was clearly a lot younger than SSK too and I did wonder if they had meant to deliberately cast such a young actor as love interest of a much older actress, which I am satisfied that it is so — GHR is indeed meant to be a female character who is ahead of her time, and has intentionally fought against traditional expectations to marry by her late teens. She is meant to be the more widely read and older female @26. Rim however is meant to be that young, innocent, bright-eye-bushy-tailed prince whose coming of age has brought more than he imagined it would. We are supposed to see him grow in that process. I think CEW has exactly brought that out very well from episode 1. What’s wrong with his acting again? 

• Like 10