[Drama 2019] Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, 신입사관 구해령

0ly40

@mundaliv Yes. Only one married Prince AKA the Crown Prince could live in palace. The rest were married off very young and found suitable homes and positions for.  It really was very practical... kept the plots, jealousy , fratricide and revolts that happened so often in other monarchies to a minimum.

Those  Princes spoken off would have been the Kings other sons  by concubines. It also sounds as if there are also children too young to be married in the Palace. 

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. Just wanted to ask a question out of curiosity. For those of you who like Sahui, why do you like her? Most of the Korean fans of the show including me just hate her and wish her gone, because:

1. She acts like the victim even though she's the one who chose to stand on the SC's side. She made the choice to be his spy, and now she acts like she had no choices.

2. She has no sense of dignity as a historian, and has no scruples about revealing the contents of the Sachaek (which is very different from HR, who was inprisoned for not revealing the contents of an empty Sachaek).

3. She is hitting on a married man (albeit one who's married against his will, but still... we wouldn't feel so bad about that if the Crown Princess had not made an appearance, but she did and made it too real for us).

4. She criticizes Officer Seong for threatening the CP, when she's doing so much worse by spying for the SC. I mean, she's the one who caused Dowon's identity to be known to the SC, which caused the whole episode of his wedding, and she's the one crying because she feels like she doesn't have a choice in the matter? Come on!

5. She hates her father and looks on him with contempt, yet enjoys all the comforts he provides her with his ill-gotten gains. If she feels so strongly about it, she could just leave or something.

6. She could have gotten out of marrying Dowon in any way, but she chose to compromise the CP. Doesn't she understand that she's hurting the CP by doing so? How can she only think of herself?

I thought everyone else would feel the same way about her, but I've come across people who support her, so I was curious about why.

1 hour ago, lsylvia said:

Hi. Just wanted to ask a question out of curiosity. For those of you who like Sahui, why do you like her? Most of the Korean fans of the show including me just hate her and wish her gone, because:

1. She acts like the victim even though she's the one who chose to stand on the SC's side. She made the choice to be his spy, and now she acts like she had no choices.

2. She has no sense of dignity as a historian, and has no scruples about revealing the contents of the Sachaek (which is very different from HR, who was inprisoned for not revealing the contents of an empty Sachaek).

3. She is hitting on a married man (albeit one who's married against his will, but still... we wouldn't feel so bad about that if the Crown Princess had not made an appearance, but she did and made it too real for us).

4. She criticizes Officer Seong for threatening the CP, when she's doing so much worse by spying for the SC. I mean, she's the one who caused Dowon's identity to be known to the SC, which caused the whole episode of his wedding, and she's the one crying because she feels like she doesn't have a choice in the matter? Come on!

5. She hates her father and looks on him with contempt, yet enjoys all the comforts he provides her with his ill-gotten gains. If she feels so strongly about it, she could just leave or something.

6. She could have gotten out of marrying Dowon in any way, but she chose to compromise the CP. Doesn't she understand that she's hurting the CP by doing so? How can she only think of herself?

I thought everyone else would feel the same way about her, but I've come across people who support her, so I was curious about why.

I also dislike Sahui very much!!! Thank you for just speaking out my mind and enumerating it all :lol:

I honestly didn't feel any sympathy nor pity her when she cried in front of Jin on ep 16. I am also not in favor with her "relationship" with Jin. I actually feel more for the Crown Princess. She also deserves to be treated right. It's not her fault that she's the daughter of the 2nd state councilor. In contrast with Sahui who made the decision to betray everybody else to fulfill her longing of having her own identity/path.

Rookie Historian family photo uploaded by Yang Jo Ah, the actress for Seol Geum's character. I wonder if the shooting has ended already?

Look at Rim & Hae Ryung being in their own world :)

It just hit me that next week's already the last time we'll see them :tears: time flies so fast..

16 hours ago, mundaliv said:

When YR said that he likes her from the first time he met her, it’s actually in the bookstore. He saw a beautiful woman reading his novel. His face was so delighted to meet this woman. Only after that, it didn’t turn out well. She yawned, LOL. 

That moment is so precious, and definitely makes the romcom genre of this drama.

:lol: oh I like that scene too!  She looked like she was enjoying the novel but what a 'rude shock' to our romantic Prince (that's how I felt seeing how he stunned he was!).

It just reminded me of the other scene when he snubbed by her interpretation of the fairytale 'Rapunzel':lol:: "Beautiful my foot! It is such a cruel story"

I love to see all their interactions. This 'I'll lock the door' moment is so cheeky:wub: :lol::

(Credit video source: MBC)

9 hours ago, lsylvia said:

I am guessing there are some who wish that the Crown Prince to have a 'happy ending' too and since she is often 'paired up' with him, it comes naturally for them to root for her. 

No offence to her supporters, I actually feel odd that her behaviour seems abit too casual whenever she is with the Crown Prince, like there is no hierarchy. And talking about your point no.3 (hitting at married man) I recalled that scene - gosh! - she openingly admits she likes the Crown Prince when she was questioned by the Princess - my jaw dropped.:dizzy:

1 hour ago, shunnie said:

Look at Rim & Hae Ryung being in their own world

Oh so cute:blush:

7 hours ago, shunnie said:

Rookie Historian family photo uploaded by Yang Jo Ah, the actress for Seol Geum's character. I wonder if the shooting has ended already?

It just hit me that next week's already the last time we'll see them :tears: time flies so fast..

What a lovely photo! Thanks for sharing :D

And with what you've said it also just hit me that even though I'm so excited for tomorrow's ep 17, darn! Next week will indeed be our last time to see them. 

I've grown so attached with out Haerim/ maehwa-sparrow couple already I don't even know how to move on lol. 

No matter how the ending will be, RHGHR would prolly be my fave fusion saeguk. I just enjoyed it so much! 

17 hours ago, lsylvia said:

I like Sahui mostly because I'm rooting for her to do the right thing and turn on the Second State Councilor at a crucial time, lol. But in general, I do think she followed him thinking she had no other choice, and the first time she truly disappointed me was when she took down the notes from Dowon's meeting with the King. 

As to the Crown Princess and Yi Jin, I feel bad for her and like her very much, but it's on the Prince to do right by her and not Sahui. So for now, Sahui is in time out lol, but overall I enjoy her.

Related to the “I lock the door” moment, well, could someone explain a bit on this? Bit confuse on what GHR meant by then I lock the door. Is it: if dowon comes, she doesn’t want and she locks the door? or if dowon comes, he comes to the room, and she locks the door (so that SG can’t enter?)

I like the moment when Dowon already hugs her, and she puts her hand in his arm. I feel that this is so romantic. So warm :wub:

Whoa.. it’s true, next week is the last week to see them!! This RHGHR will also be my fave “modern” sageuk. Don’t know how to deal with after it finishes.....

9 hours ago, shunnie said:

Love this picture! It's precious. I think Soompi translated a note from the show saying they were filming before and after the Chuseok holiday, so my guess was this was a photo of their first day back. I imagine they wouldn't be done filming until the end of the week.

30 minutes ago, mundaliv said:

Related to the “I lock the door” moment, well, could someone explain a bit on this? Bit confuse on what GHR meant by then I lock the door. Is it: if dowon comes, she doesn’t want and she locks the door? or if dowon comes, he comes to the room, and she locks the door (so that SG can’t enter?)

I think she meant she would lock the door so that the two of them would be alone, yes, lol. And then suggested going out back where no one would hear them... :ph34r::wub:

17 hours ago, lsylvia said:

2. She has no sense of dignity as a historian, and has no scruples about revealing the contents of the Sachaek (which is very different from HR, who was imprisoned for not revealing the contents of an empty Sachaek).

honestly i dont understand why some of the audience are so taken with her .at some point someone said she wished sahui was the FL and that she rocked ,but i promptly questioned their definition of "rock".just because you are rude and contemptuous  of your own father doesn't make you rock ,when you have been flirting with the married crown prince , betraying the other historians and hasn't really done anything positive to help the group.

if we all remember after the night of the hazing she was so rude to haeryung and tried to discredit what haerung  did for them .i felt like she was so selfish considering the fact that but for HR's help, her failure to "drink well" would have affected the entire group making the male historians treat them with utmost disregard.not a word of thanks but a warning to HR to not interfere in her (their ) business. i really don't dig her that much but to each his own.

35 minutes ago, may Robinson said:

honestly i dont understand why some of the audience are so taken with her .at some point someone said she wished sahui was the FL and that she rocked ,but i promptly questioned their definition of "rock".just because you are rude and contemptuous  of your own father doesn't make you rock ,when you have been flirting with the married crown prince , betraying the other historians and hasn't really done anything positive to help the group.

I can't imagine wanting Sahui as the female lead, mostly because Haeryung is far and away my favorite female lead of the year. I think Sahui is interesting and complex, but she is of course lacking in many areas.

As for the married man issue, I have a question. Is the Crown Prince allowed to have concubines, or must he wait until he's king? Because while I don't condone polyamory, it was a common practice for royalty, so I'm wondering if it would only be a scandal because Sahui is not officially a concubine - or if it's because Yi Jin is not supposed to have any at all.

1 hour ago, may Robinson said:

if we all remember after the night of the hazing she was so rude to haeryung and tried to discredit what haerung  did for them .i felt like she was so selfish considering the fact that but for HR's help, her failure to "drink well" would have affected the entire group making the male historians treat them with utmost disregard.not a word of thanks but a warning to HR to not interfere in her (their ) business. i really don't dig her that much but to each his own.

Yeah! I even saw some tweets wishing Sahui was the FL. And I was like whuuut?!?!?!?! HAHAHA but to each their own, I guess. 

And Hae Ryung is also my female lead of the year! What are your plans after RHGHR? I need some concrete plan to deal with my pre-empted separation anxiety with this show. Pls share your plans lol 

1 hour ago, SuperTank said:

And Hae Ryung is also my female lead of the year! What are your plans after RHGHR? I need some concrete plan to deal with my pre-empted separation anxiety with this show. Pls share your plans lol 

LOL, well, I'm planning to watching Joseon Marriage Agency (which started today) and Tale of Nokdu (starts September 30th). I'm not sure if either will be as well-written as Rookie Historian, but you can't have it all.

Plus, there's a few saeguks left of Shin Sekyung's that I need to watch, and Astro will probably have a comeback soon now that Eunwoo's filming is done. :D

I really hope SSK gets some kind of award recognition for Haeryung, because she's done so well and it's such a nicely layered character too. Honestly, I think this drama has surpassed almost all my expectations. Now I just need a satisfying ending and at least one kiss that's not a freeze-frame lmao.

1 hour ago, kangminjae said:

I really hope SSK gets some kind of award recognition for Haeryung, because she's done so well and it's such a nicely layered character too. Honestly, I think this drama has surpassed almost all my expectations. Now I just need a satisfying ending and at least one kiss that's not a freeze-frame lmao.

Awww as a SSK fan, thank you so much for recognizing her!:blush:  Biases aside, I honestly think she deserves an acting award for playing Hae Ryung really well. And yes, this drama also exceeded my expectations in so many levels. 

Can I recommend some of her saeguks? Hehe my personal fave is her performance in Deep Rooted Tree (she's like 20 there and yet her emotions were spot on!) And of course, the classic, Six Flying Dragons. Both are of the same writer and seem to love her lol. 

And omg I couldn't agree more with the bothersome freeze-frame kiss scene LOL!!! We deserve a better and a little more passionate kiss from them! We pretty much know both of them are good kissers from their prev dramas:lol:

@G.r.a.s.s Yes, forgot to mention that too. She acts so high and mighty when she's with the CP, from the very first meeting. I mean, I don't expect her to grovel or anything, but show a little respect toward the CP! And I don't think ending up with her is going to be a happy ending for the CP when he learns that she's the spy who's been giving information to the SC.

@may Robinson Yes, I also thought her very rude. If she had been able to handle the situation, HR wouldn't have stepped in in the first place. To me, it feels like she always acts like she's better than everyone else, and what really throws me off is that, given she's the SC's spy, she doesn't ever feel guilty or remorseful, even a little. I mean, she's been working with these people for months, how can she not feel guilty or remorseful about betraying them?

@kangminjae I, too, have been waiting for her to redeem herself, but then she went and spied for the SC again! I was pretty sure she would not spy for him after she developed feelings for the CP, but she went and did it again. That, for me, was the last straw.

On a different note, I looked it up, and the CP was allowed to have concubines, because kings and CPs needed to have as many children as possible (on account of the fact that the mortality rate of children was very high back then, and one of their chief jobs was to procreate as many heirs as possible). Of course, there are cases where there were too many brothers and they fought amongst themselves for the throne, but more usually the king only had one or two sons and sometimes none at all. In RHGHR, the current king is the son of a palace maid so I'm guessing the old king before the last one (the dethroned king who's the current king's brother) only had two sons, one with the legitimate queen (the queen dowager) and the other with the maid.

The scandal with Sahui I think is that the CP spent the night with a historian, an officer chosen and appointed by the government. Or it could be that they spent the night together before getting officially hitched.

And omg I couldn't agree more with the bothersome freeze-frame kiss scene LOL!!! We deserve a better and a little more passionate kiss from them! We pretty much know both of them are good kissers from their prev dramas:lol:

Precisely, haha. We already know they can kiss, the director isn't fooling anyone! I forgave it the first time because of Haeryung's tears and because the backdrop was so pretty, but enough is enough.

@lsylvia Thanks for the info! And, yeah, Sahui should've known better than to let the Second State Councilor mess with her prince's brother. OH WELL.

6 hours ago, lsylvia said:

The scandal with Sahui I think is that the CP spent the night with a historian, an officer chosen and appointed by the government. Or it could be that they spent the night together before getting officially hitched.

Oh I wondered if she had planned the scandal. We cant tell if they had really spent the night together.  I remembered she tried to explain herself to the senior historian but was interrupted. She didnt look like she was lying. Plus the Crown Prince comes across to me as someone who dare not make serious mistakes that might put him in bad light.

12 hours ago, kangminjae said:
12 hours ago, mundaliv said:

I think she meant she would lock the door so that the two of them would be alone, yes, lol. And then suggested going out back where no one would hear them..

I am definitely on the same page as @kangminjae:lol::wub:

5 hours ago, kangminjae said:
7 hours ago, SuperTank said:

Precisely, haha. We already know they can kiss, the director isn't fooling anyone! I forgave it the first time because of Haeryung's tears and because the backdrop was so pretty, but enough is enough

:sweatingbullets:Mm.. I didnt want to be a party pooper but then just a gentle reminder that our 'innocent and pure' Prince is still a Rookie in Kissing :P: (he needs more practice to get used to it!!)

He already looks so contented with his first milestone (in kissing):lol::

(credit video source to youtube owner: Rvs cnd)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Coming soon!:

(Cr mbc)

Ohhh the latest stilla for the upcoming ep 17 tomorrow makes me wonder why Hae Ryung seems to be intently staring at the portrait of (the former king???). I'm pretty sure her dad is the teacher/doctor but why is she looking at the portrait like that??

Perhaps she remembers the king? She was only 6 when he died, but she might have a faint memory - like how she remembered her father vaccinating her. Or maybe she's looking for the resemblance with Yi Rim, which is apparently very great.

@G.r.a.s.s ROFL, he may be a rookie, but I have faith he will have learned to move his mouth by the end of the show. Maybe the director is saving it for a wedding kiss. :lol: (I'm mostly kidding, I'll just have to accept the kisses as they are!)

Archived