[Drama 2019] Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, 신입사관 구해령

0ly40

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2019] Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, 신입사관 구해령 - Wed & Thu @ 21:00 KST - Premieres on July 17th
  • Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, spark101 said:

"I didn't want to live like a flower."

*edit: her name is park ji hyun, not ji yeon. There's another actress with a similar name, whoops, lol.

Thanks for the translation and correction! I'm very intrigued by all these interconnecting story lines.

9 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I wonder how Cha Eun Woo acting will be in this drama i love his visuals and the visuals of the teasers just hope the actors are good. 

Apparently the prince is very naive and soft-hearted, so it'll be quite different from MIIBG. He said he thought of his group's maknae Sanha while playing the role, which is adorable.

It looks like so much fun! I wonder where that teaser was from, since I haven't seen anyone post it on the official sites.

Speaking of: I don't know if we knew this, but it looks like Netflix will be carrying the drama, as I came across it this morning.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:17 PM, kangminjae said:

It looks like so much fun! I wonder where that teaser was from, since I haven't seen anyone post it on the official sites.

It looks like they showed it right before one spring night(current mbc drama) aired last night's episode. 

edit: 5th teaser. 

Okay, I'm very confused and intrigued at 0:34- that's definitely cha eunwoo/lee rim, and he's wearing the king's robes? Wonder what the context is behind that. 
This is looking better and better! We've seen a lot of comical/lighthearted stuff from lee rim and goo hae ryung; can't wait for the more serious political thrill from the queen dowager and crown prince as well. 

Relationship chart! From the drama homepage on mbc's site. 

cast-v3.jpg

I'm a noob so I don't know how to make an english version, but I'll just translate some key points here: 

The king and the dowager are enemies. 

Right minister/minister min and the king cooperate- business relationship. 

Right minister is allies with goo jae kyung(hae ryung's brother) and song sa hee. 

Right minister is proud of his son, min woo won, while woo won(played by lee ji hoon) is ashamed of his father. 

min woo won and the crown prince are friends. 

minister min is the crown prince's father in law. 

Lee ji hoon cares about goo hae ryung as a department hoobae (junior). Unclear if there are anymore feelings beyond a senior/junior relationship. 

Song sa hee(played by park ji hyun), hae ryung's colleague, likes the crown prince. 

The crown prince and the king have an unsteady relationship. 

lee rim is a precious younger brother to the crown prince. 

lee rim is very precious to the dowager and has her sympathies. 

eunuch heo (played by sung ji roo), and mo hwa(played by jeon ik ryeong), are husband and wife. Yes, eunuchs actually did get married. It was usually the well off/higher ranked eunuchs, to be clear.

mo hwa and the queen dowager are allies. 

So it looks like crown prince's people vs lee rim's people, with the princes being reluctantly pitted against each other. The king/right minister vs. the dowager, to be exact. Min woo won going against his father, possibly/probably, and song sa hee possibly against hae ryung (Nooo!! Keep the sisterhood alive!) 

A little concerned how much they plan to have min woo won like hae ryung, but no love triangle between her and the two princes, which is great! I'm glad the writer kept the problem between the brothers down to the political stuff. That's a headache enough without any romance issues between them. 

I'm most interested to see how lee rim will react to the political stuff. He's described to be a naive, sheltered(due to his dangerous status as 2nd to the throne) prince who learns about the world through goo hae ryung, so how he does in the gritty affairs will be intriguing, not only as lee rim is a bright character, but also in testing cha eunwoo's acting chops. He's done comedic and lighthearted very well in The Best Hit and had to play a emotionally unreactive character in gangnam beauty(which you really need a lot of nuance to not appear robotic- which ironically, robotic is a pretty accurate descriptor of the actual webtoon character. but I digress.). 

Like other fluffy sageuks(sungkyunkwan scandal, 100 days my prince, etc), the ending will probably be happy, but since the writer also made solomon's perjury(a very different drama in just about every single way) I'm even more excited and curious how the politics will play out. 

27 minutes ago, spark101 said:

Relationship chart! From the drama homepage on mbc's site. 

Thanks so much for the explanation! I tried translating it for myself, but I missed some things so I'm glad to have yours. I'm surprised and impressed by all the political clashes going on in the background here, but I'm glad the brothers seem to get along even if the people around them don't.

31 minutes ago, spark101 said:

Like other fluffy sageuks(sungkyunkwan scandal, 100 days my prince, etc), the ending will probably be happy, but since the writer also made solomon's perjury(a very different drama in just about every single way) I'm even more excited and curious how the politics will play out. 

I'm expecting the same. It seems like there'll be a balance of comedy/fluff with Eunwoo and Sekyung and then Kiwoong heading up the political/drama side, but we'll see. Hopefully all three of them make it out alive, lol.

3 hours ago, agnelle said:

Among upcoming dramas, "Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung" is the most exciting.

That's certainly true for me, although I'm already biased because I wanted to see Eunwoo in another drama period. But I am very attracted to the story of a female historian, exploring gender roles in Joseon, and the overall comedic tone.

Archived