[Drama 2019] Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, 신입사관 구해령

0ly40

The last scene with Rim and Queen Dowager is heartbreaking. Even more sad because we know his desperate plea will not be approved since they're still going through with choosing the candidates.

Well I guess the writer is kind enough to give us some cute couple scenes before all the angst begin... 

And we shall be prepared for more angst tonight!

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My heart goes out to poor Haeryung in that last set of pics. Even though she's much more practical and composed than Yi Rim, she's clearly very fond of and affected by him. It would be painful to watch him marry someone else even if she was resolved not to marry him at all.

I couldn't catch the show properly, mainly because of the language used and partly because my live stream kept buffering. I do wonder though is it because she has no intention of becoming the wife of a prince or is it because she doesn't want to affect Yi Rim anymore than he is already affected? Though, I do get it that she won't want to sit around and look pretty - that would be un-characteristic of her. There's only 4 more episodes to go...probably revealing Haeryung's parentage and Yi Rim's legitimacy to the throne?

@shunnie yes, there were cute 'imaginary' couple scenes tonight, timed just before the tears fell for the couple.

@selen4ever thanks for the preview. I wonder if she feels grateful for his protection and decides to stick by him or 'runs away' even more because he gets hurt because of her? 

So...what’s going on with the Ho Dam book? Anyone?

She just does not want to marry. She would not marry the guy her “brother” picked out either.  Her dreams of travel and general freedom of choice, movement would be pretty much over if she becomes a Joseon era wife.

Oh nooo.. they gave us such episode.. very sad,.. and then they gave us preview like that???? make it worse, we have to wait 2 weeks to watch the new episode. 

I think GHR’s feeling is divided. She surely likes YiRim. But to be a wife of a prince will change her life completely. And it’s really heartbreaking to see the last scene, YiRim said GHR you know that you are my everything. And she said she doesn’t feel that way. Crying a river watching that. Come to think that YiRim does not have anyone beside him except SamBo. He found another life after meeting GHR. I understand why he said GHR is his everything. 

15 minutes ago, mundaliv said:

Oh nooo.. they gave us such episode.. very sad,.. and then they gave us preview like that???? make it worse, we have to wait 2 weeks to watch the new episode. 

I think GHR’s feeling is divided. She surely likes YiRim. But to be a wife of a prince will change her life completely. And it’s really heartbreaking to see the last scene, YiRim said GHR you know that you are my everything. And she said she doesn’t feel that way. Crying a river watching that. Come to think that YiRim does not have anyone beside him except SamBo. He found another life after meeting GHR. I understand why he said GHR is his everything. 

I think she will understand that being with him she will not stop to be independent, if you think, he also never really lived, maybe he is a direct descendant of the king and the throne belongs to him, but the question is, does he need a throne? I think not. He also wants adventure travelers, why they can't open this world together and learn a new one.
If he becomes king, then he will be chained to the palace again for life. A worthy king will be his brother, and the prince needs space and freedom with a loved one.

So in this episode (16) Goo Hae-ryung & Prince Dowon are siblings which I have suspected from the time GHR introduced Mo-hwa to her brother. Therefore they cannot have an intimate relationship wether the Queen Dowager forbids it or not! 

I am looking forward seeing the next episode (17) when the Second State Councilor finds out that Prince Dowon is the son of the dethroned King which is also Mo-hwa & Jae-gyeong’s teacher in Seoraewon. I am curious to know whom their mother was but I’m thinking she was a commoner judging from the current King’s word towards Prince Dowon that he may be a prince on the outside but from within he’s nothing but a lowlife basically. 

For now, we’ll just have to wait until next Wednesday & anticipate what happens next...

5 hours ago, RobinM said:

She just does not want to marry. She would not marry the guy her “brother” picked out either.  Her dreams of travel and general freedom of choice, movement would be pretty much over if she becomes a Joseon era wife.

You’re the only other person that caught Prince Dowon & Goo Hae-ryung as siblings!!! The dethroned King was their FATHER ...

That’s why they can’t be LOVERS!!! I can’t wait to find out how they will take it in when they both discover that they are BROTHER’s & SISTER’s...

You’re 

22 minutes ago, Bev said:

So in this episode (16) Goo Hae-ryung & Prince Dowon are siblings which I have suspected from the time GHR introduced Mo-hwa to her brother. Therefore they cannot have an intimate relationship wether the Queen Dowager forbids it or not! 

I am looking forward seeing the next episode (17) when the Second State Councilor finds out that Prince Dowon is the son of the dethroned King which is also Mo-hwa & Jae-gyeong’s teacher in Seoraewon. I am curious to know whom their mother was but I’m thinking she was a commoner judging from the current King’s word towards Prince Dowon that he may be a prince on the outside but from within he’s nothing but a lowlife basically. 

For now, we’ll just have to wait until next Wednesday & anticipate what happens next...

they are not siblings . was the dethroned king mohwa and jaegyeong's teacher ? i dont see where that was implied .

@Bev The former king and the teacher at Seoraewon are NOT the same person. The dethroned king supported Seoraewon (and it's western teaching and Catholics) which is why he (and everyone else) was killed by his conservative brother - the current king.

And the two characters are played by different actors too.

Yi Gyeom - The former king and Yi Rim's father is played by Yoon Jong Hoon

Hae Ryung's father is played by Lee Seung Ho

3imJgbx.jpg

On 8/29/2019 at 9:35 AM, lsylvia said:

Hey guys.

Just dropped by and saw the comment above, and wanted to clarify that HR is NOT YR's sister.

HR is the daughter of the doctor who used to lead Seoraewon, a place of learning Western (or foreign) things. I think the old king (YR's father) was very open-minded and accepting of such things, and that's why the present king and SC rose up in rebellion against him, Korea being a very conservative country at the time and such goings-on being frowned upon. When the old king was killed, so were HR's father and the Western doctor and probably most of the people in Seoraewon (except Jae Gyeong, who probably betrayed them to save HR because she's his teacher's daughter, and Mohwa). I believe the why and how of the death of the old king and HR's father and the coup will be made more clear later, along with the clarification of who HR and YR are.

So, in a word, HR's father and YR's father were friends, and not related at all.

PS. Wasn't the preview mind-blowing? It looks like next week's episodes are going to be really really interesting.

exactly , that's what i have suspected that both parents were academics and friends .they are not brother and sister .would be totally pointless having them as each others love interest. on the tombstone yi rim saw at the hanyang palace it says hodam and yeongsan who i suspect is the teacher  or the murdered kings love interest aka yi rims mom.

1 hour ago, mundaliv said:

I also can see how he thinks of her as his everything. She was there for him all this time  with all the challenges and what was going on. When I think about, I think he really loved her the first time he saw her. But when she dissed his novel. They conflict between them started. But, he really wanted her to be with him regardless.

I think Hae Ryung really loves him. But, I think she is worried that their different dreams might ruin the love. She surly wants to travel and do more things in her life. But, I think she can tell that he is not ready to leave everything behind and be with her even if he says so. Yes, he might be ok at the with for a while. But then the resentment would resurface even if he promised not to resent it. I actually like that they r bring this issues. To many times, people think that if couple came together, then it’s the happy ending. But that not true in real life. To be with someone and spend ur life with a person and star a family, it requires compromise from both parties. Usually, this is highly neglected in kdrama. It good to see a drama present the idea especially that some of South Korea celebrities are getting divorced this year. 

I think the next episode preview is interesting because it will maybe teach them more about what is important and about compromise too. 

34 minutes ago, may Robinson said:

is that what mbc is saying ?

Yes, there is no new episode this coming week because of Chuseok holiday. So the show will finish airing on September 26th.

Meanwhile, today's episode was super painful but I loved it. Seeing Yi Rim's vision of married life and how it conflicts with what Haeryung wants for herself is delicious angst. I am sure she does love him as well, but she doesn't trust that they can be happy making all these sacrifices for each other. Besides, I don't think she wants to tear him away from his comforts and his brother, etc.

Hopefully the next episodes show her that their affection can indeed help them overcome obstacles. I'm actually surprised their interacting as civilly as they are in the preview! Clearly Yi Rim is not one to hold a grudge against her.

Awesome ep! Sincerely touched with the dialogues of HR and LR. I can perfectly understand both sides and it clearly shows how different their characters. HR pointed out a very important point about life not stopping at having a happy ending once they've managed to escape the palace and be together. Life isn't simply a novel, contrasting to what LR thought it would be. Glad that realist HR pointed this out. She surely hates typical fairy tale romances as opposed to what is generally shown even in modern love stories now. Really can't blame her on this, ehat she said about having even the slightest feeling of resentment is true and would destroy their love for each other in the long run. 

It was painful to watch. Commending both Se Kyung and Eunwoo for making me cry buckets at that scene. I can see that they desperately love each other. 

And my gaaaahd, the preview. Can it just be a dream? Although I'm pretty sure LR would survive since we still have 4 more eps.

Btw, am I the only one who fears that HR's life would also be put in danger? Cos of LR's words on his poem "I hope you live a long life". It's like hinting something bad will happen and LR being shot by an arrow is just the beginning. Damn this show it's giving me too much to think about hahaha

Archived