Quantcast
0ly40

[Current Drama 2019] Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, 신입사관 구해령 - Wed & Thu @ 21:00 KST

I’m not usually a fan of sageuks but this drama is my happy pill right now! I smiled too much during the heart-fluttering OTP scenes in this week’s episodes. The hand-holding scene is so adorable, and I just love it every time Hae Ryung fixes Rim’s hat, and the way he looks at her when she’s doing it :wub:

I really like how their relationship progresses. Once they realized they have feelings for each other, they’re being really honest & sincere in telling how they feel to each other (so glad that Rim just outright ignored Sambo’s love advice :D). And it shows that being sincere is just much more rewarding than pretending to be cold  and mysterious to someone you like. They’ve already confirmed each other’s feelings by now, even without directly saying that they like each other.

The chemistry between the casts is great and I love all the leads & supporting characters (except those evil fathers, of course) but I have to commend the comic relief characters. Sambo, the two maids, and Seol-geum are hillarious and their scenes are some of the funniest in the drama. And kudos to the one in charge of the sound effects because they make the scenes so much funnier!

Looking forward to the kiss scene in the next episode. With Hae Ryung being the more mature and experienced one in the relationship, I won’t be surprised if Rim initiates the kiss first with a peck on her lips, and Hae Ryung goes for a second (more passionate?) one. I can dream, right? :lol: 

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

11 minutes ago, shunnie said:

Looking forward to the kiss scene in the next episode. With Hae Ryung being the more mature and experienced one in the relationship, I won’t be surprised if Rim initiates the kiss first with a peck on her lips, and Hae Ryung goes for a second (more passionate?) one. I can dream, right? :lol: 

Hiring you to rewrite and film the scene if it's not already like this!

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Hi, guys.

Just a passing Korean SSK fan to tell you some stuff that we Korean fans of the show have learned or surmised or guessed.

Putting them in under spoiler just in case you don't want to know.

Spoiler

1. Dowon is the rightful crown prince.

I'm pretty sure most of you know this, but just to make sure.

Dowon is the son of the deposed king and the rightful crown prince.

The king at present is the brother of the old king, and was born of a maid of the palace, hence he's very insecure about himself.

The old king, on the other hand, was born of the queen (the queen dowager of today).

Therefore the queen dowager hates the present king and also the crown prince (since he's not of her blood),

and it looks like she's planning to get rid of the present king and the crown prince, which will probably mean both will die,

all so that she can make someone of her blood (Dowon) the next king.

We Korean fans mostly don't like her, she seems to be the boss monster of the show who's going to do everything to kill the crown prince and break YR and GHR up, just to make Dowon king even though he probably wouldn't want to be the king after his brother/cousin is dead on his account.

(BIG SPOILER: there was a picture posted on instagram a couple of days ago, which showed her interviewing potential brides for YR.

It's supposed to be in the 16th episode, and the really sad fact is that in the picture, HR was the one who was recording the proceedings...)

2. Hae Ryung has secrets of her own.

The fact that she was sent to China when she was 6, which is 20 years ago and the time when the old king was deposed, and the fact that she doesn't have parents, suggest to us Korean fans that her parents probably died supporting the old king, and her brother betrayed his own people just to protect HR, and probably sent her to China to get her away from everything as quickly as possible. We believe her background story will be made clear along with the story of Hodam, because it seems like all these stories of Hodam, YR and HR are connected.

One last thing about next week's preview:

What Min is doing is a form of protest, Ji Bu Sang So, which means protesting something with an axe in your bosom, to show that you're prepared to die for what you're protesting. That's why he's wearing all white and dishevelled, he's protesting HR's imprisonment, probably because he's the one who told her to listen in on the conversation at all costs.

Fun fact, there's actually a historical record of a historian who eavesdropped on the king because he felt it his duty to record the meeting, and he was caught and exiled to a remote place as punishment. A lot of the things happening on the show are actually based on real history. The writer of the show has been preparing this show for years, and researched quite a lot, it seems.

Hope you guys continue to enjoy the show.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 6

@lsylvia Well, the queen dowager has never tried to challenge the king before and she seems to have a close relationship with the Crown prince. She let the prince live for so long without any education hence if she had planned a putsch, she would have made it possible that he receives proper training. I doubt that she is determined to plan a coup d'état in order to get rid of the Crown prince and his father so that DW could get his rightful place. In my opinion, her true intention is more to get rid of the Second Chancellor. Sure, the crown prince is married to his daughter but the Crown Prince can divorce her and marry another noblewoman, if her father was to be arrested and convicted.

• Like 7

@bebebisous33 Things will become clearer next week, but it looks like the queen dowager made a deal with the king to raise Dowon as his son in return for her not questioning his kingship when he killed the old king and became king himself. The fact that SC does not know that Dowon is the old king's son makes it look like it was a secret deal between just the two of them.

And she couldn't have possibly educated Dowon on becoming a king without alerting the present king and putting him in danger. Not being taught how to be a king really doesn't matter if you are of the rightful line and you have the highest claim to be the king.

And the queen dowager is only pretending to like the crown prince (as can be surmised by the way her attitude toward him changed when he at first refused to call Dowon back to the palace in the smallpox episode). In the character descriptions of the show's website, her description was changed because the first one gave too much away, but I saw it and it said she only cares for Dowon because he's the only one of her blood. After all, the crown prince is the son of the man who killed her son, and the one who stands in the way of Dowon becoming king.

Another reason it looks like she's trying to make Dowon king is that she refuses to let him leave the palace, even though he's clearly miserable there. It was the custom of the time that when princes reached a certain age, they left the palace and lived in their own homes, but she's refusing to let him leave, saying it's his rightful home. I don't know how things will turn out, but I do think there will be a coup, or at the least, the attempt of one.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Oh my! That raises another Question: will she try to separate The budding couple because it interferes with her plan? Does not think HR is worthy? But I don’t think so as this is ultimately a Rom Com with serious parts not a dark convoluted twisty palace melo:)

• Like 6

12 hours ago, lsylvia said:

@bebebisous33 Things will become clearer next week, but it looks like the queen dowager made a deal with the king to raise Dowon as his son in return for her not questioning his kingship when he killed the old king and became king himself. The fact that SC does not know that Dowon is the old king's son makes it look like it was a secret deal between just the two of them.

If the SC really doesn't know that Dowon is the old king's son, why did he try to send Dowon to Pyongyang?

Didn't he wish Dowon would die of the smallpox?

• Like 6

I actually have a different view on the ending. I think LR will become King, because it’s not a choice he can make, it’s a responsibility he was born with. I think his growth arc is about him discovering that he is not only kind, but strong willed and braver than he thought - these are qualities for a king. Remember that in MDBTC (another fluffy sageuk to compare!) the CP becomes king but it’s not all doom and gloom. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2019 at 6:05 AM, lsylvia said:

One last thing about next week's preview:

What Min is doing is a form of protest, Ji Bu Sang So, which means protesting something with an axe in your bosom, to show that you're prepared to die for what you're protesting. That's why he's wearing all white and dishevelled, he's protesting HR's imprisonment, probably because he's the one who told her to listen in on the conversation at all costs.

Fun fact, there's actually a historical record of a historian who eavesdropped on the king because he felt it his duty to record the meeting, and he was caught and exiled to a remote place as punishment. A lot of the things happening on the show are actually based on real history. The writer of the show has been preparing this show for years, and researched quite a lot, it seems.

Hope you guys continue to enjoy the show.

Thanks so much for the valuable information! The spoiler(ish) things too, but this is particularly interesting. I love all the detail that's gone into the show so far, so I hope it continues opening a door into what lives outside the palace itself were like.

As for the Queen Dowager trying to separate Haeryung and Prince Dowon, I have no doubt she will try. Even if she's the nicest grandma in the world and not out to get the king or the crown prince, she'd want someone of higher rank with her favorite grandson lol. But perhaps that's where Haeryung's past will come in. If it's revealed that her family sided with the old king, that might change her mind.

Alternately, it could be the king who wants to separate them for precisely that reason. We shall see...

• Like 6

On 8/17/2019 at 8:24 PM, shunnie said:

She was very proactive when she invented the tiger story to spend more time and hold hands with him :P, so I wouldn't be surprised if she takes the initiative with a kiss :D

• Like 5

@cantbreathe This is my personal opinion, but for me, a truly happy ending for this show would be for the king and SC to die, for the crown prince to become king since he's been preparing for it his whole life, to have children with his charming wife (with whom he wouldn't have a problem anymore because her father's dead and the only reason he doesn't want to have kids with her now is that he doesn't want to make the SC more powerful than he already is by making him the grandfather of the future king), and be happy, and for YR and HR to leave together to travel around the world.

When they were on the beach, YR and HR talked about the places they wanted to see and stuff, and I thought that it was a foreshadowing of what the future holds for them: both of them free as a bird, going where the wind takes them, with no obligations but to each other. If YR became king, he would either have to make HR queen which would make her miserable, which in turn would make him miserable, or break up with her, which would make both of them miserable. She's too free a spirit to be cooped up in the palace like the crown princess is now, and I can't imagine her living like that the rest of her life.

I actually picture the ending as being something like this: the CP, now made king, returns to his room and finds a book, which is the lastest book by Maehwa and tells of a love story between a female historian and a prince, who met, fell in love, survived a coup and ended up leaving together to travel the world. Then we see a scene with them together on a boat or something, on their way to Dokdo to see the Korean seals, and bickering the whole while, but happy as can be.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Preview pics for tomorrow's episode. Seems like we'll get to see Jin and Sahui getting closer!

0000076919_002_20190820102732068.jpg?typ

0000076919_005_20190820102732120.jpg?typ

Spoiler

0000076919_006_20190820102732139.jpg?typ

0000076919_007_20190820102732168.jpg?typ

0000076919_008_20190820102732191.jpg?typ

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 8

Loved today's episode! I was expecting a drama and instead got a comedy in 11 (21-22), but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Head Historian Yang is shaping up to be an honorable man after all, the female historians joining in on the fight was hysterical, and I adored Lee Rim visiting his lady with loving bundles of food. I KNEW the kiss would be a fakeout, but his reaction to the cheek kiss was totally worth it.

Meanwhile, I missed our Crown Prince, but thankfully we're getting a ton of him and Sahui tomorrow. And more Haeryung/Rim outside the palace, which is where they shine most.

• Like 9

@morningdew Awww Shucks! They are too precious! They better have a happy ending for them, I am not sure I can stand having such a sweet and pure romance end with a bittersweet ending. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 7

I was not putting on any hope for a real kiss. I knew it would be a typical K drama fake out. When the guy goes in that slow it always is. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1