[Drama 2019] Hotel Del Luna, 호텔 델루나

marykarmelina

There is something vague abaut manwol existance.. Whether she a spirit or just froze in time.. Based on what the mean mago said she can vanish as a spirit but manwol said she existing and not dead.. Also the flower mago indicate when the flower bloom her time will start again so i guess she can die now that the tree blooming right.. The flower wilt and so is manwol time on earth thats why i guess chansung look sad seeing the flower start blooming cause in the end he knew he will send her away........... :tears:

The grim reaper also confirm that chansung will be the one that send manwol away so i guess its a possibility of this kind of ending but we also have that pink mago and flower mago thats so soft for manwol.. Considering a love for the first time in a 1000 years old will make them find a way to give manwol her happys ending (even mira going to get that).. 

I think it will hit chansung so hard if he need to send manwol away cause he truly care and love her in a way he willing to give manwol his life in ep8.. Manwol will sacrifice her 1000. Year grudge to make sure he's okay and i don't doubt she wiling to vanish to protect him.. I agree their chemistry is not a full blown spark but a very slow burn that actually make us felt how they care about each other..... Just please give us a sattisfying ending and a justice one for chansung and manwol..

• Like 8

9 hours ago, mei yang said:

just see some news said part of this drama copied a chinese drama named goodbye, my princess.and others also copied different chinese and Japanese  dramas.it is not the first time the writers of this drama copied chinese and japanese dramas. Copy is a s.h.*t. disgusting

"Nothing is new under the sun" - Ecclessiastes, some 2000+ years ago

Plagiarism is a terrible act, and they can take the Hong Sisters to court if they have enough evidence (they actually got sued but got cleared for Hwayugi - a very clear modern adaptation of the Journey to the West that I think the plagiarism claim is silly)

I haven't seen Goodbye My Princess (thanks @jasminssiii for the scene description), but I think brides killing grooms on their wedding night for vengeance must be a common trope. If there is something more similar to MW and CM's scene where MW pretended to be someone else, maybe it would be Thor pretending to be a bride to a giant to get his hammer back and then killing the giant (this story is around the 15th century). I'm sure we will find tons of other similar stories for every scene in HDL if we just want to nitpick.

And the Hong Sisters are pretty overt in their "copying" that I think they treat of it more of as homage to their favorite stories, most of their dramas are "fanfictions" of other stories (chunhyang, couple or trouble, hong gil dong, warm and cozy), and they also love using themes within (Little Mermaid in Gumiho, Beauty and the Beast here, probably lots more). @brielover had also been talking about the adaptation of the themes of the Golden Bough. So yeah, if there was really plagiarism involved, they better take it to court instead of just being malicious online

I also think that an important thing is that HDL executes their themes (whether you think it is copied or not) BEAUTIFULLY on screen, which could not be said about other shows/adaptations

• Like 6
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, aria26 said:

"Nothing is new under the sun" - Ecclessiastes, some 2000+ years ago

And the Hong Sisters are pretty overt in their "copying" that I think they treat of it more of as homage to their favorite stories,

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I was so thrilled with IU looking like Audrey Hepburn in the drama. It gives me the sense that the Hong Sisters drew from a wide area which influenced their work, from fairy tales to Greek mythology to good ole American classics. Kudos to them! 

@jen459, thanks for pointing out that the Hong Sisters held onto this story for 13 years. Amazing level of persistence to share their tale with us. Did they say why they held on so long? 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

It seems ghouls, lost spirits, and negative entities are roaming the social media... possibly escaped occupants of Room 13.  Trolling the social media sites yakking about plagiarism and copying of story ... threatened much? because HDL is at it's peak of popularity.

Does anyone have exclusive  copyright to quicksand scenes? I mean I've seen those in even the most ancient movies I can remember , even in black & white hollywood movies reruns.

These trolls, just wait til you cross path with Ma Go the 4.

:angry:

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

9 minutes ago, berny2 said:

It seems ghouls, lost spirits, and negative entities are roaming the social media... possibly escaped occupants of Room 13.  Trolling the social media sites yakking about plagiarism and copying of story ... threatened much? because HDL is at it's peak of popularity.

Does anyone have exclusive  copyright to quicksand scenes? I mean I've seen those in even the most ancient movies I can remember , even in black & white hollywood movies reruns.

These trolls, just wait til you cross path with Ma Go the 4.

:angry:

Some chinese peeps on weibo really love to nitpick and think that everything came from them lol what's new they're known for being overly sensitive with almost everything :joy:

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

16 minutes ago, jasminssiii said:

Some chinese peeps on weibo really love to nitpick and think that everything came from them lol what's new :joy:

They have so much time in their hands, even obsessing with HDL too...just in denial... :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Article on the CG involved in the show:

Spoiler

Also, super cute HDL keychains (with key)! I want a 404 one too, hahaha.

Spoiler

Cute photos with bff Sanchez:

Spoiler

And an article in Soompi with an interesting take on Chansung: that he's a weak male lead.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1345066wpp/7-times-hotel-del-luna-episodes-9-and-10-were-an-emotional-roller-coaster

If the roles were reversed, and Chan Sung were a female lead hopelessly clinging to a man who is selfish to the point of putting her at risk to enact his own revenge, would we not complain that she’s a weak character who needs to dump him, gain some self-esteem, and stand up for herself? The drama does itself no favors by giving us little insight into Chan Sung’s emotional world other than portraying him as simply extremely kindhearted.

• Like 10
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Cute photos with bff Sanchez:

Reveal hidden contents

I need a drama with a Sanchez-like main lead. Someone always looking clueless (but actually perceptive), indifferent (but actually very caring), and just basically chill (while being really lucky). I need neutral his facial expression in all kinds of dramatic and romantic situations (interacting with overly dramatic Veronica)

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

Hello *waves* everyone a new lurker :ph34r: here that finally decide to join in on the conversation :)

It's been a long time since I've watched a K drama.  I've never watched a Hong Sisters drama either so not sure how they typically end things.  Crossing fingers  we get a happy ending for Man Wol who has been through a lot.  I just want her to get a happier ending this time around.  

Thus far episode 10 is shaping up to be one of my favorite episodes.  It seemed to have a little bit of everything.  

Chang Seong and Man Wol  :wub: - I really enjoyed seeing how their relationship was changing; specifically how MW was changing.  She's a very lonely individual. She has emotionally shut everyone out for a thousand years due to her own guilt. You see it in the way she interacts with her own staff.  They've worked together for years but they only know things about each other on the surface level.  Manager Noh seemed to have some understanding about MW and it seemed she had a slighter deeper bond with him but even still she kept him at a distance.  So MW latched on to the only things that could provide "happiness" without any cost...her obsession with money, her collection of cars,  her wardrobe, and her champagne and caviar. 

In the library scene, for the first time we see MW being active in taking a direct interest in a relationship.  The way her hand reached out yet still hesitant and unsure how to console CS and then eventually dropping to give way to the only emotion she's known these few hundred years; Anger. And then that look of immediately regret upon CS's reply and the tug at his arm :tears: it was just a wonderfully played out scene.

I just loved the confession hug in front of the tree :w00t:  To me it felt just right.  I know some of you all want a little more romance and I'm all for that too but I think in this instance the hug made sense especially for MW.  This has probably been her first real hug in ages.  Probably the last time she was hugged was by her mom or dad.  CS's hug started out gentle almost reassuring...a warm embrace of safety and when she reciprocated he lowered his hand to her lower waist and tightened the hug in more intimate loving way :wub:

Now that we know next episode CS and MW are suppose to be having a secret office romance I'm tapping my fingers giddily hopeful for some cute scenes with eye locks, hand holding, and near missed kisses because of the three stooges :lol:  I want a kiss scene of course but I think it will be a lot more fun and entertaining this way  :sweatingbullets: 

Yeon Woo (Young Su) and Man Wol - I teared up when they saw each other :tears:  Such a beautifully executed scene. That spark of recognition or deja vu from YW/YS and MW's tearful but warm smile happy he got reincarnated and is living a good life.

Yeon Woo (Young Su) and Princess Song Hwa (MiRa) - don't hate me :ph34r: but I actually found them cute together :vicx:  MiRa has debt to pay.  She decided not to pursue CS to give way for MW.  So I guess for YW/YS she is becoming a friend or more to give support and a possible life together instead taking his life away?  :huh: 

Serial Killer arch  - I wonder if this is going to play out to the finale or will be wrapped up in the next couple of episodes.  This one seems pretty important considering Sanchez, CS, and MiRa know him. And now it seems the Serial Killer has a way to get to CS and Yuna.  I wonder if this will be a test for MW.  We know how protective she can be and considering how she had lost her family (rebel group) so if the Serial Killer as so much as hurt a single hair on CS's head she'd go after him.  Which makes me wonder how Chung Myung is going to appear?  I am of the theory that CS is not CM.  I kind of prefer it that way that CS is his own character who is teaching MW how to let go of her grudges.  Will CM some how get involved in this case and MW and gang maybe think he is the Serial Killer when the twist is of course he is not but is actually a good guy that tried to save CS and Yuna?  Maybe he ends up helping YW/YS  in the case but MW in her grudge rage may doubt CM and try to harm him :unsure:  All these theories :mellow: :wacko::sweatingbullets:

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Re: Chansung being "a weak male lead"; if this were reality and Chansung was my friend, I'd definitely tell him to stay far away from Man Wol. But as a TV drama, I find it very satisfying to see a story that's really all about the female lead and the male lead is playing second fiddle to her, instead of stories where it ends up becoming all about the male lead and his manpain, even when the show is named after her (*coughsecretarykimcough* *coughherprivatelifecough*). :P

• Like 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, Ondine said:

And an article in Soompi with an interesting take on Chansung: that he's a weak male lead.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1345066wpp/7-times-hotel-del-luna-episodes-9-and-10-were-an-emotional-roller-coaster

hmmm, I am not sure about this. Chan Sung is only weak against all the supernatural players in the story, but he is actually very strong willed and courageous as a human and as a drama character, so I think it is unfair to tag him as a genderbended clingy romantic half. I think they have talked about this in the drama, that he was not helplessly brought in by fate, but in contrast, he has chosen where he is, to be at Man Wol's side. He knows in himself that he is a capable person (he got in and survived highly competitive Harvard, worked in Forbes listed hotels, served royalty, and have even been very successful in giving satisfaction to his new ghost customers, he does not do what MW wants but goes against her to what he thinks is right), so when he told Man Weol that he wont let her vanish, it was not just a romantic declaration, he has confidence in himself that he can do something to save her... I think

• Like 11
  • Love 1

@aria26 I agree with your assessment.

I also find MW's words may been taken too literal in the article.  MW essentially told telling CS I need your help in stopping myself.  I may get blinded by my anger and not listen in that moment but I need you to not give up on me.  If you think about it MW may be strong on the outside but she is actual very weak emotionally.  She was abandoned by CM and she lost her family (gang) .  She had no one to console her or help her release her grudges.  No one seemed to care to find out her story over these 1000 of years.  No one cared enough to get to know her and see past her mean front.  CS is the first person to do so.  MW has a reason to do the right thing because someone believes in her.   That when the moment counts she will pull through and do the right thing.    

• Like 5
  • Love 4

My take on the similarities/plagiarism :

I watched a fair share of historical dramas when I was younger - let's just say that brides switcheroos and killing people on wedding days are seriously nothing new. If they don't kill someone, they kill themselves in front of the groom.

"I'll preserve my dignity and will never marry you! You can have my body but never my heart!" *cue self stab or stab the other person* because someone must die.

I'd even go far to think of bridal sedans getting switched halfway on the journey to the groom's houses and etc. 

Reincarnation tropes are also nothing new either. Death by hanging/arrows/poison and having fellow loved ones watch them suffer? Cruel and yet not uncommon in historical drama plots.

Things can get very similar, but for me (now this is just my own personal opinion) I think till now it still seems ok? I think for me these details are just common in such plots. 

I think what is important is how the writers weave new and old stories/plots/tropes together and the entire team carry out the writings to bring it to life.

Of course for those who have watched c dramas and feel there is plagiarism, we are all definitely entitled to our own opinions. I only hope that it does not take the joy out of watching the show for you:)

• Like 10
  • Love 2

I watched the preview for episode 11 again. Not much was revealed for us but perhaps the white rose is part of the secret office romance :w00t: 

Wow. This drama was on hold for 13 years. But it does require a lot of CG work to make it realistic. I still love how they created the tiger realistically. It was a good choice to showcase it now when CG effects have advanced ;)

1 hour ago, RiceGirl1212 said:

@aria26 I agree with your assessment.

I also find MW's words may been taken too literal in the article.  MW essentially told telling CS I need your help in stopping myself.  I may get blinded by my anger and not listen in that moment but I need you to not give up on me.  If you think about it MW may be strong on the outside but she is actual very weak emotionally.  She was abandoned by CM and she lost her family (gang) .  She had no one to console her or help her release her grudges.  No one seemed to care to find out her story over these 1000 of years.  No one cared enough to get to know her and see past her mean front.  CS is the first person to do so.  MW has a reason to do the right thing because someone believes in her.   That when the moment counts she will pull through and do the right thing.    

I agree! I think in order for us to see what CS means, we have to understand what he means to MW. I don’t think he is a weak male lead. He himself stated to Mago that he doesn’t like to be seen like that (as someone who just gets in the way and becomes second place). But CS himself knows what he wants and how he wants it so he is not afraid to go for it. I just dont find any huge flaws with CS. Even he has learnt to deal with the ghosts. To me, he and MW both need each other. And while they don’t directly tell us that they love each other, their expressions, the things they do for each other and their way of speech do show us. I love this about them. Of course i want to see more hands on but somehow every little thing makes me flutter too about them :wub:

@brielover i see that you know a lot about greek myths and goddesses :) I too love greek myths and goddesses but I don’t know remember too much since it has been a long time for me lol. The myth of the golden bough sounds so sweet (although I haven’t heard of it until you mentioned it). If they take that similar route, it would be a happy ending. But at this point, i am not even sure how it will end. I just want CS and MW happily together :D

• Like 8
  • Love 1