[Drama 2019] Hotel Del Luna, 호텔 델루나

marykarmelina

17 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

He always the funny one & the innocent between them :D I couldn’t believe yesterday when he dressed for the blind date because he want to get married as if the bride wouldn’t  go to the afterlife :joy:

I agree! I was laughing at Butler telling him that employees are not allowed to play!  

His humor and innocence is so fresh that’s  why it was heart breaking to see the little snippet of his memory too when playing the piano with 4th candidate. 

I am so glad ratings are high! :D

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

I agree! I was laughing at Butler telling him that employees are not allowed to play!  

The butler so cruel :joy:

after 10 minutes you good , I am good 

couldn’t he included him :mrgreen:

5d3e30362f60c976316668.gif?download

I love the words uttered from the past between our girl  and Chung Myung & presently between her and Chan Seung  . How a scene can be so sweet yet very sad . If they are the same  , he reborn beautifully :joy::mrgreen:

GIFMaker.org_D2jbgm.gif

GIFMaker.org_hdXhzG.gif

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Lol @Ameera Ali as mean as Bartender is, i cant make myself hate him for making it hard on our CS because he has his own sense of humor too lol!! Like how he casually blamed Room Service lady for not taking better care of the rooms when Ghost 13 escaped :joy:

What do you guys all think about MW’s words to CS about feeling sad because the ocean is more beautiful than before?

I initially thought it’s because she remembered her moment with royal guard and having spent this moment with CS made her remember how she felt back then. Now the ocean is even more beautiful because CS is there..and she feels sad because it may mean that she is feeling loved once more and getting closer to having to leave. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Historical drama lovers must've enjoyed this episode a lot which was another emotional roller-coaster. Annyeong chingus, I hope you once again enjoyed this episode. I'm writing this post as I'm awaiting my turn to be called as a witness at court.  :ph34r:

Anyway, I like this episode a lot for many reasons. But if I may cite only a couple.

I like that Man-wol is more and more wearing her heart on her sleeve through her many manifestations of jealousy and projection of romantic feelings. The thought of love has again entertained her being enough to cause a flower to bloom on and a firefly to illumine -the moon tree. The beach scene was both sweet and poignant. Her conflicted feelings are understandable. But I believe that love is more powerful as a cure than as a poison. As such, I'm continuously crossing my fingers here for a happy ending. Second, I like that this episode has somewhat confirmed the theory that Chan-seung is CM/guard captain. There have been many hints as to this in the previous episodes up until the latest. But then again, it is fun and useful to have an open mind in order to see other perspectives. Thirdly, I like that as an advocate for women, the case of the cabinet ghost who can be mistaken for as Ringu's Sadako's twin is made socially relevant because it highlighted the molka epidemic in SK. 

This drama has brightened my days. And your commentaries here are making my drama journey more enjoyable and meaningful.

As such, kamsahamnida so much. I'll miss this forum, I'll miss your fun posts. I might not be able to participate in the discussion next time bec. of work and filial daughter duties as my eomma suddenly fell ill. I'll just like your fun and insightful posts when I'm again able to do so. Thanks again. Have fun watching the forthcoming episodes.  :heart:

• Like 4
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

What do you guys all think about MW’s words to CS about feeling sad because the ocean is more beautiful than before?

I initially thought it’s because she remembered her moment with royal guard and having spent this moment with CS made her remember how she felt back then. Now the ocean is even more beautiful because CS is there..and she feels sad because it may mean that she is feeling loved once more and getting closer to having to leave. 

My interpretation is that it's partly that, remembering a past tragic love, but also I think Man Wol feels that anything involving her and love (or at least affection) and another person can only end in tears for both of them/is doomed from the start/nothing good can come of it. It's not necessarily just about her leaving; I think she doesn't associate love with something that's ultimately positive, and believes that it's going to screw them all over one way or another. :)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Didn't expect episode 6 will have the highest ratings thus far :D...so happy to see another increase!

8 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

The ending was not a huge revelation (I didn’t know what to expect but was just anticipating it lol) but it was such a beautiful sad moment from MW to CS. There’s this yearning we see from the previous scene when MW thinks about Firefly guard and their moment at the river bank. The scene suddenly becomes prettier because of firefly guard’s beautiful perspective addition of “you will be waiting for me to show up like today one day..” and behold there was CS who showed up and made her view of the beach even more beautiful with his thought of wanting her to be happy (this was so sweet). Someone mentioned the parallel between firefly guard scene and this one. And i see how beautifully sad it is. 

Why do I feel like this isn't actually about MW waiting for the Captain or Yeon Woo? Sure, those employees have been implying she's waiting for a certain someone, but it wasn't outrightly said so by MW. Yes, she is being punished for her past sin, we all know that. Ma Go sending CS to her is the main point of all of this. She was frozen in time because for her, it didn't matter whether she's living or not. Ma Go wants to help her move on. Waiting may mean she is most likely waiting to FEEL AGAIN, to be human. For every happiness, pain and sadness she feels, a flower blooms. And when the tree blooms its final flower is when MW will be whole again, freed, and finally forgiving herself.

CS entering her life, and knowing bits and pieces of her past life, brings back all the memories/feelings kept hidden inside her. "You will be waiting for me to show up like today one day" also equates to "you will be waiting for someone to make you feel again just like today". Everything looks the same in her eyes for a thousand years, but CS in the picture now makes it a whole lot more beautiful and meaningful....but again...sad. Sad because no matter how beautiful it might be, it probably won't end like she wanted it to.

6 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

His humor and innocence is so fresh that’s  why it was heart breaking to see the little snippet of his memory too when playing the piano with 4th candidate. 

Didn't expect P.O.'s character to have such sad history given his bubbly personality. Indeed, the saddest people smile the brightest. Looks like his ending will be when he finally crosses into afterlife.

BTW, I'm surprised myself that I don't find the ghosts that scary when literally I usually watch this like 12am or 1am when subs are released...ha ha...I guess I'm used with all the makeup that I don't find them scary anymore and since this isn't actually entirely a horror drama, so all good :D.

EDIT:  OST Part 5...I love this song, when it shifts from the present to past...

Edited by lightbringer06
  • Like 8
  • Love 2

@Ondine

Those were my faves too especially the one that mentioned how Chan-Sung's gf was a leech from her other drama Sky Castle - I said that out loud while watching actually ha-ha! :lol:

@vangsweetie637

You got it right though & it's how I interpret it as well.. I think she meant that when viewing it (the ocean) with someone special/or someone you like makes it (the memory) more beautiful/meaningful. Which is why Man-Weol said this to Chan-Sung... The view is even more beautiful because you are here...

And as you also mentioned, she's afraid of feeling too much joy as sadness often awaits whenever it does.. Oh man someone's been cutting them onions again!! :tears::unsure::(

• Like 5

I thought I'd do a mythology post because the Hong Sisters are very pointedly using The Golden Bough and its description of the Diana ritual at Nemi as inspiration.  The Golden Bough is a book written by James Frazier that tries to show that a particular myth and ritual of a dying but reborn king/queen, correlating to the harvest, can be found in myths everywhere in the world.

The golden bough itself was a branch from a tree that allowed heroes of the past to enter the underworld. This is the branch - variously also symbolic of a quilled pen, an arrow, or simply a branch - that cuts through the moon brooches that the Hotel del Luna employees wear.

Man Weol, whose name means full moon, who identifies herself continuously with the moon from Moon River in Breakfast at Tiffany's to a space mission to the moon to actually saying I am the moon or the moon belongs to me, is inspired by Diana, Roman goddess of the moon.  Other moon goddesses go into her portrayal too but I'm saying Diana in particular because of her ritual, which I'll get to in a moment.I

Diana is always portrayed as a young virgin huntress, a tripartite goddess - of the woods and wild animals, of the moon, and of the underworld.  She sometimes also absorbed the qualities of Laverna, goddess of thieves and outlaws because they operated at night.  After we initially see MW in the first episode,  we next see her with drawn bow - the archer, the huntress, the thief.  We also see her affiliated with wild animals almost in the first ghost case - the tiger, which she returns to its home.  We know she is affiliated with the underworld or afterlife, just as Diana was, a guide at the crossroads between life and death.

But the tree is where this gets really interesting.  From the most ancient of days, there was a forest grove at Nemi in Italy called Diana's grove where a real life ritual took place.  One tree in particular (from which the golden bough is broken) is actually a stand in for Diana herself.  A priest called the King in the Woods is symbolically married to this tree, is Diana's knight and protector as well as her priest, and is killed by his replacement.

So I'm just going to enumerate how closely the Hong Sisters have tied in the hiring of Chan Sung as manager for Man Well to the replacement of a new priest-king for Diana:

1. A branch from the tree must be broken, signalling a challenger.  This is what CS's father did unbeknownst to himself.  Also, CS's father was a thief - his proper goddess is Diana/Laverna.  Lastly, that snake that followed him - snakes are almost universally a symbol of rebirth because they shed their skins.  CS's father does die and is reborn - and the ritual at Nemi is all about resurrection

2. The challenger must be a runaway slave.  Now where would you find one of those in the modern age?  The Hong Sisters make Man Weol actually buy CS from his dad!  Not only that, but when the time comes, CS actually ran away!  He was gone longer than his 20 year contractual promise.  When he finally takes up his position, he could technically be called a runaway slave.

3. The challenger kills the current priest-king ( manager) in single combat.  CS does not do so, but nevertheless the Hong Sisters make sure to show us that Manager Oh dies.  He does not retire as he wanted to do; he has to die before CS can take up his position.

4. The new King of the Woods (manager) is technically married to the tree, which is Diana herself.

I had posted at Drama Beans a few of my suspicions about Diana and Man Weol.  I also identify Ma Go quite strongly with the goddess Hecate, another many-faced goddess like Diana.  But as Ma Go says in episode 6, there are more than 3 of her (she is not merely the 3 Fates), so while I believe the Hong Sisters are drawing very strongly upon Diana and Hecate for inspiration, they are also telling us , as Frazier does in The Golden Bough, that these stories have echoes and reverberations across cultures.  

Still, I don't think we can go wrong by looking at the men in the goddess Diana's life to seek clues as to the roles Yeon Woo and Historical Hottie might have played in MW's past.  

• Like 3
  • Insightful 9

Hello.. I'm new to this thread...I rarely post something on any thread but I'm really curious about the piano instrumental that Played in minute 22.45

I remember listening the song version before, and I think it's the ost from old drama...but I forget from which dramas or the singer name...it's beautiful and calming song...

Anyone here knows that song?

Thank you

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, nisfii said:

Hello.. I'm new to this thread...I rarely post something on any thread but I'm really curious about the piano instrumental that Played in minute 22.45

I remember listening the song version before, and I think it's the ost from old drama...but I forget from which dramas or the singer name...it's beautiful and calming song...

Anyone here knows that song?

Thank you

It's from the OST of Tree of Heaven, titled His Whistle!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Holy Moly - it just hit me.....

https://mythology.net/greek/greek-gods/the-fates/

Composed of three sisters—Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos—the Fates were a trinity of goddesses. They were the personifications of man’s life and destiny. These three immortals decided man’s fate as a singular force: his life, lifespan and death. Consequently, they were in control of the past, the present and the future. They were not only feared and respected by mortals—they were also in control of the fates of the gods.

The Fates controlled the birth, death and lifespan of all gods and mortals. Every time a child was born, it was believed that the Fates would visit them three days after and decide whether the child should live. As soon as a child was born, the threads that the sisters used to determine life began to be spun. Each of the sisters had different roles. Clotho weaved the web of life from her distaff onto her roll, referred to as the Book of Fate. Lachesis would mature these threads to determine how long each life would last using her measuring staff. She would also point this staff at Horoscopes on the globe. Atropos decided exactly how someone was going to die using and would use shears to cut the thread when the time came. Atropos translates as “inevitable”. She was also the eldest and the wisest of the Three Sisters.

When I saw that scene with the red thread and scissors - those scissors which could only belong to a deity...

• Like 3
  • Insightful 5

8 hours ago, brielover said:

I thought I'd do a mythology post because the Hong Sisters are very pointedly using The Golden Bough and its description of the Diana ritual at Nemi as inspiration.  The Golden Bough is a book written by James Frazier that tries to show that a particular myth and ritual of a dying but reborn king/queen, correlating to the harvest, can be found in myths everywhere in the world.

The golden bough itself was a branch from a tree that allowed heroes of the past to enter the underworld. This is the branch - variously also symbolic of a quilled pen, an arrow, or simply a branch - that cuts through the moon brooches that the Hotel del Luna employees wear.

Man Weol, whose name means full moon, who identifies herself continuously with the moon from Moon River in Breakfast at Tiffany's to a space mission to the moon to actually saying I am the moon or the moon belongs to me, is inspired by Diana, Roman goddess of the moon.  Other moon goddesses go into her portrayal too but I'm saying Diana in particular because of her ritual, which I'll get to in a moment.I

Diana is always portrayed as a young virgin huntress, a tripartite goddess - of the woods and wild animals, of the moon, and of the underworld.  She sometimes also absorbed the qualities of Laverna, goddess of thieves and outlaws because they operated at night.  After we initially see MW in the first episode,  we next see her with drawn bow - the archer, the huntress, the thief.  We also see her affiliated with wild animals almost in the first ghost case - the tiger, which she returns to its home.  We know she is affiliated with the underworld or afterlife, just as Diana was, a guide at the crossroads between life and death.

But the tree is where this gets really interesting.  From the most ancient of days, there was a forest grove at Nemi in Italy called Diana's grove where a real life ritual took place.  One tree in particular (from which the golden bough is broken) is actually a stand in for Diana herself.  A priest called the King in the Woods is symbolically married to this tree, is Diana's knight and protector as well as her priest, and is killed by his replacement.

So I'm just going to enumerate how closely the Hong Sisters have tied in the hiring of Chan Sung as manager for Man Well to the replacement of a new priest-king for Diana:

1. A branch from the tree must be broken, signalling a challenger.  This is what CS's father did unbeknownst to himself.  Also, CS's father was a thief - his proper goddess is Diana/Laverna.  Lastly, that snake that followed him - snakes are almost universally a symbol of rebirth because they shed their skins.  CS's father does die and is reborn - and the ritual at Nemi is all about resurrection

2. The challenger must be a runaway slave.  Now where would you find one of those in the modern age?  The Hong Sisters make Man Weol actually buy CS from his dad!  Not only that, but when the time comes, CS actually ran away!  He was gone longer than his 20 year contractual promise.  When he finally takes up his position, he could technically be called a runaway slave.

3. The challenger kills the current priest-king ( manager) in single combat.  CS does not do so, but nevertheless the Hong Sisters make sure to show us that Manager Oh dies.  He does not retire as he wanted to do; he has to die before CS can take up his position.

4. The new King of the Woods (manager) is technically married to the tree, which is Diana herself.

I had posted at Drama Beans a few of my suspicions about Diana and Man Weol.  I also identify Ma Go quite strongly with the goddess Hecate, another many-faced goddess like Diana.  But as Ma Go says in episode 6, there are more than 3 of her (she is not merely the 3 Fates), so while I believe the Hong Sisters are drawing very strongly upon Diana and Hecate for inspiration, they are also telling us , as Frazier does in The Golden Bough, that these stories have echoes and reverberations across cultures.  

Still, I don't think we can go wrong by looking at the men in the goddess Diana's life to seek clues as to the roles Yeon Woo and Historical Hottie might have played in MW's past.  

@brielover very interesting, thanks for sharing. so based on your theory, is it right to say that CS is not a reincarnation of MW's past love (either the captain or Yeon Woo)?

• Like 3