Is there a German in Canada here? I'm looking for a tutor and a friend.

bearstevenlee

is this thread becoming a thing now?

@angelangieNah, I just need one fan. And that shouldn't be about my abs. And she doesn't even need to share, she will be the first to see them and the only one to...."play" (?) with them. :joy:

@SejabinNo.

@mouse007Okay, so based on this. Chest is also off the list. 

Glad someone already did the explaining. :D 

@bebebisous33Oh thank god you explained it. Explaining german as german is way harder. Since we just know how things have to look like or how it's correct. Most germans don't know their own cases, they just know how to build them.

@sushilicious @cenchingI know, I know. She just wants to brag. Sigh.....but no. Maybe in the distant future, when there is no hope left for Mrs.D and I just give up. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread started as lil weird, sometimes creepy and at one point pervy thread that really got out of hand. When did we reach the point where it turned into abs-eating ahju girls hunt an innocent german for his abs?

But okay, okay. I'm not a bad guy, I made a promise with mom @cenching. Soon is my birthday, and a few days before I have a meeting with my personal trainer, who's job is to create the perfect plan to make them perfectly shaped. So in exactly one year, when my next birthday hits, 33, I will show them to you. Which is fits, cause like you know, my 33 birthday is my deadline.So I will be devasted on that day anyway.  

Just one condition, not here, not in public. We do it either on CoL or you know where. Not here. 

@bebebisous33 oh my goodness, German sounds so complicated! How did you learn it? Did you just study it yourself or did you attend classes? It seems pretty difficult to learn on your own. 

I find it difficult to comprehend how they determine which plural form to use without such clear rules. I guess English is somewhat similar in that you know how certain words are pronounced simply by familiarizing yourself with them.

Tagalog is somewhat similar in that we can say the same thing in different ways and people will still understand what it means. Our pronouns are always neutral. Like "siya" refers to either him/her, "tayo" is us, "sila" is they/them, "ikaw" is you, "kami" is we, "ako" or "ko" is I or me.

Our articles are simple:

Ang = The

ng = a or an

A word can also change in form depending on where it is in a sentence. Like if I say "I am eating an apple", I can either say:

"Kumakain ako ng mansanas" (objective) which if I were to translate word per word would say "Eating I an apple" 

or it can be said as  "Ang mansanas ay kinakain ko" (nominative) which would translate to "The apple is being eaten by me". 

The verb here is "kain" which means "eat" but you'll notice it changes a little depending on where it is even though the tense is the same which is present tense in this instance. In Tagalog, usually a verb comes first. Although a noun can come first, it sounds a little weird and somewhat formal and that's not really how people speak in everyday life.

I find languages interesting and definitely would like to learn other languages but I do not pick them up as quickly as other people do.

@mouse007 I learnt it at school. But once I understood how it worked, it was not complicated. But I have to say that I learnt other languages (English, Latin, Spanish, Dutch) and at some point, it gets easier to learn a foreign language. Sure, I like learning foreign languages, on the other hand I could never have the patience to learn playing a music instrument. 

As for the plural forms in German, since there is no rule, then German learn them intuitive... and for the others, you just have to learn the form for each word. Striking is that in German, the verb always has to be placed in the second place, while the subject can be placed before or behind the verb.

to see = sehen

1. Ich sehe heute einen Vogel im Himmel
  2. Einen Vogel sehe ich heute im Himmel
  3. Heute sehe ich einen Vogel im Himmel.
  4. Im Himmel sehe ich heute einen Vogel.

The reason I like learning foreign languages is because each culture has its own vision and perception of the world. I find it very fascinating. For example, the verb "to land" in French is atterrir and in German "landen". When I say "atterrir", I have this picture: the plane is flying towards the earth... I see how the plane is moving into that direction. A German will have a different picture in his head: with "landen" he sees how the plane touches the earth. He doesn't see the movement but the point/moment when it touches the land. And this different "vision" explains why in German after the verb "landen" you use the case "dative... and a French would make the mistake (speaking in German) to use the case "accusative". Another example is the expression "in the picture". In French and in German, you would say "sur l'image"/"auf dem Bild" (translated word for word: on the picture) which means we see the surface of the picture, while English consider the frame (usually square). Do you understand the difference? Each language sees the world totally differently which is quite intriguing and amazing.  

@bebebisous33 I love your explanation of why you love languages. I have to say I've never looked at it that way. But perhaps that's because I don't know that many languages. What I do love about languages is how you can learn so much about people's cultures by the way the speak and the words they use. Like how in some Asian countries, respect and authority are conveyed both in words and actions. I find that in itself to be quite lovely. For example, I am the eldest of 3 children and you will never hear my younger siblings call me by my name. Doing so would be considered disrespectful in my culture. Instead,  they call me "Ate" (pronounce "ah teh") which means "older sister". It is a simple word but by referring to me as such, they show that they respect me and recognize my position in the family. Even when speaking to others about me, they still refer to me as "ate". To me, it's a form of love and affection and I can see that in other cultures as well. 

I also find it interesting how in different languages, a simple phrase can mean so much depending on the language, how it is used and even the manner by which it is delivered. Which is why it saddens me to rely on subbed versions of the dramas I watch because I do feel that the depth of a conversation is lost in translation. Similar to how a joke loses its meaning when translated. There's also phrases that only make sense when you understand the culture. 

@mouse007 Actually this is something I like in other languages like korean, asian and, as it seems, tagalog. 

Having so many titles to honor elder people, family or loved ones. "Ate" sounds like a very respectful term.

Our language lack of such. Although we have a whole part dedicated to talk to strangers or elder people to respect them, we lack of such titles. We pretty much call them by their name or use the word "Sie" instead of "du" (you) as term to refer to a stranger. "Sie" & "du" are both just "You" in english, but in germany the first one is term of respect, which is also showcased by the fact that the first letter "S" of "Sie" will always be written in a large letter. It's also be used at work to talk with colleagues you are not familiar with or your CEO.

On the other hand "du" is a term between friends or people that you know, it's also used towards people that are younger. Traditionally always the elder person offers to use "Du" instead of "Sie" to showcase friendship and the end of being strangers. "Du" resembles familiary and becoming closer, ending the distance between two people and becoming more comfortable to each other.

People around the same age normally use "Du" automatically though as long as it isn't working related. For example at the store or at the bank you always address to the employee as "Sie": 

1 hour ago, Sejabin said:

@bebebisous33 if you live in my country you will have a very very very very very lot of fortune :blush: you can be teacher or private tutor or translator or anything. There are thousands of jobs for people like you :heart:

P.S. We are pervy right? We even created abs events :kiss_closed: supergal99 even was one of a very active poster there! sigh sigh.. that guy is a very shy person :relaxed:

May I ask where you live? Out of curiosity. Back then, my mother complained wondering why I was so determined to learn German and later Dutch as in her eyes only English was important. But like @mouse007 said, by learning a language you get to know the culture and the traditions which is really interesting as well. Based on my own experiences, you are better received and perceived if you try to speak their language. Mit the help from a book, I could speak Italian in Italy, Croatian in Croatia aso. For Italian, I got used pretty quickly as it is similar to French and Spanish. At some point, I could even talk to the landlord of our vacation flat and understand a little what was on TV. It also helps to create contact with local people. 

@Dhakra Oh and I forgot to mention that typically when you are addressing someone who is older that you or someone you aren't close to or familiar with, you would insert "po" in your conversation. It's not a name nor an article and it isn't a pronoun either. I don't really know what it is called but from a young age, we are taught to speak with it to convey respect.

So for example, if I were to say to an older person that "Can I please have some water?" I would say it as "Pwede po maka-hingi ng tubig" But if I were to ask someone who is familiar AND of the same age or younger, I would remove the "po" and just say "Pwede maka-hingi ng tubig"

It is also common courtesy to use "po" when speaking to someone who you aren't sure is the same age or if you are speaking to a stranger. However, usually if there is a small age gap, it is acceptable to drop "po". 

Korean is a little more complex when showing respect to other people. Like for example, if it is a guy referring to an older girl, they would use "noona" but if it is a girl referring to an older girl, the use "unni". In Tagalog, it doesn't matter whether the person saying "ate" is male or female. They both refer to an older girl as "ate" and to an older boy as "kuya".

All uncles are "tito" and aunts as "tita" regardless from which side of the family. And we can also refer to family members of our close friends this way. So if I am over at a friend's house and want to greet his/her parents, I would call them tito and tita.

I really like this aspect of asian cultures.

@bebebisous33 I agree, you are better perceived and received when you speak the local language. It actually brings down barriers and people are more open to what you say and they feel more comfortable opening up to you.

There is truth in that a person will learn best when taught using the language of his heart.

Glad we have another topic here.

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Mit the help from a book

I giggled. :D I guess by speaking so many languages sometimes you mix them up. 

@mouse007Well I know the korean terms of course, since I have more than one noona-crush. :D But Interesting to read about tagalog versions of it and what's different. 

@mouse007

Talking about addressing family members, Chinese got the most detailed ones.....We addressed our family from mother's and father's side differently.....Grandparent from mother's and father's side specifically and differently addressed including uncles and aunties. For uncles or aunties who are older or younger than our parent, we addressed them differently too not to mentioned another bunch of uncles or aunties by marriages....Usually in Filipino or English when someone said, "He is my uncle", we will ask, "From which side?". But in Chinese when you said, "二叔" or "Er Shu", all Chinese will know that the person is your Second uncle from father's side who is younger than your father.....:mrgreen:

5 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Glad we have another topic here.

I giggled. :D I guess by speaking so many languages sometimes you mix them up. 

@mouse007Well I know the korean terms of course, since I have more than one noona-crush. :D But Interesting to read about tagalog versions of it and what's different. 

No, it doesn't happen. What happens is that I sometimes can not remember the word in the language I am speaking, while my mind remembers the word in the other languages... so I need some time until the word pops up. As for the help with the book, since I hadn't learnt the language before, I need some support.   

@Sejabin I really like music but I had not the patience to learn how to play the flute at school.  

• 3 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 8:42 PM, bebebisous33 said:

May I ask where you live? Out of curiosity. Back then, my mother complained wondering why I was so determined to learn German and later Dutch as in her eyes only English was important. But like @mouse007 said, by learning a language you get to know the culture and the traditions which is really interesting as well. Based on my own experiences, you are better received and perceived if you try to speak their language. Mit the help from a book, I could speak Italian in Italy, Croatian in Croatia aso. For Italian, I got used pretty quickly as it is similar to French and Spanish. At some point, I could even talk to the landlord of our vacation flat and understand a little what was on TV. It also helps to create contact with local people. 

Just out of curiosity, for what reasons did you wanted to learn Dutch for? Sure it is a very interesting language and very similar to German(it was probably easy to learn since you already kind of knew German). I am Dutch, so from my perspective, I just don't see the point in learning the language, so please enlighten me ;p 

30 minutes ago, ='' ) said:

Just out of curiosity, for what reasons did you wanted to learn Dutch for? Sure it is a very interesting language and very similar to German(it was probably easy to learn since you already kind of knew German). I am Dutch, so from my perspective, I just don't see the point in learning the language, so please enlighten me ;p 

It is not just about learning a language but also a culture. Why not Dutch? There are a lot of Dutch tourists in France and people are always surprised to hear that someone can speak a little their language. 

Archived