[Drama 2020] Forest, 포레스트

larus

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

"The woman who took my man. No matter how much I try, I can never get ahead of that woman."

"Maybe she didn't take your man away but she took trash away from you."

Yes.  It is actually these moments that make me stay.  Little nuggets of insights.  The other moment was where she told him in the car that the self worth that matters is how you perceive yourself and it is independent of the aura that you surround yourself with based on the opinions of others.

The part that I particularly like about the drama is its attempt to explore the role of outsiders intruding into a closed, tightly-knit rural community that have their unspoken rules, that have their own ways of doing things, that are cut off from the urban centre and neglected. Hostility towards outsiders come more from suspicion rather than prejudice... although that may feature.

Yes but I think this drama seems to focus more on the fact that the rural community believe the “outsider” is merely “passing by” with no intention on staying.  Hence their jaded and often belligerent responses and staunch refusal to invest in anyone new who breezes in...because what’s the point?  They will leave soon anyway.  Why bother building bridges which would be dismantled in a couple of months?  There’s a tinge of bitterness in there.  Even Dr Park who seems content with origami rather than “waste” any time with patients.  He carts them off to a city facility for their healthcare instead of dealing with them in Miryeong.  There’s an apathy and disillusionment which I think stems from past failures.  He’s tried and failed so why bother trying?  YJ herself is looking to return to Seoul and sees Miryeong as a pit stop.  Yet to her credit, she still wants to “doctor”.  Making house calls (bringing the hospital to the people instead of waiting for them to come).  Somehow I think no matter how enthusiastic she is, she needs to first establish that she will stay for the long run.  She needs to commit to staying for a couple of years at least to build the trust of a community disenchanted by drive bys.  Otherwise she may as well just sit back and do nothing because nobody will continue the legacy she leaves behind.

I'm not sure I entirely understand SH's motives in getting closer to YJ. For a guy who doesn't do anything unless it benefits him, it baffles me a little as to what he's getting out of it. On some level it feels like pity but then there are times when I think he actually really does like her. My guess is that he likes that she's determined to be her own person, map out her own track, not try to conform to the demands of the larger cultural context of how her life should be. It's what I like about her too actually.

I think initially it’s the fact that she seems to be the only one to have witnessed what he’s said/done during his Midazolam (sedative) stupor.  So he needed her to “remember” those moments for him.  And she baffles him.  She’s so different from him.  He sees nothing wrong with her “using” the situation he set up for her (that she’s a fiancé of a VVIP :lol:) so that she can get a step up back into the hallowed halls of Seoul hospital.  She on the other hand asks him the pertinent question, “how does that make me any different from my ex then?”  His point was to use any and every means to achieve your goal.  Her point was that her value as a person would plummet (in her own eyes) were she to stoop that low to go down that path.  And when she wolfs down his steak after the blackout, he unwittingly bolsters her self worth by nagging her with statements like, “you shouldn’t just eat cereal because you are not livestock.  The hospital staff say you’re an up and coming ace surgeon.”  Her behavior intrigues and confounds him.  And vice versa.  They make the other person pause for thought.  I think that’s why they work as a couple for me.

But yes the drama is certainly not the most cohesive and seems to have weird tangential bents to it at times.  I couldn’t be bothered about the politics behind the whole business dealings.  I just needed to know that SH is plotting to evict the Miryeong villagers and Rescue Unit for his company.  He will likely (predictably) have some sort of epiphany and turnaround to redeem his character.  And YJ would probably be the catalyst for that change.  The usual KDrama logic.  Nothing mind blowing.  But I am staying for the 2 leads.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forest: Episodes 5-8 Open Thread

by missvictrix

F2_1.jpg

Our hero and heroine make their home in Miryeong Forest, whether that means building deep(ish) cover within the 119 Forest Rescue Unit, or turning the dilapidated hospital into a success. With a village full of timber magnates, paper-pushing bureaucrats, hot-headed rescue workers, and cranky elders, there’s really not much magic happening in the forest (yet).

EPISODES 5-8 WEECAP

F2_2.jpg

An undisclosed amount of time has gone by since last week, and our main characters are busy settling into their new positions. Young-jae decides to take the initiative while she’s locked away in the woods, and starts treating patients (or trying to) and improving the hospital.

San-hyuk has it a little tougher — he’s joined the forest rescue unit (with his lurking ulterior motives), but he’s shamelessly bullied by the team. CHOI CHANG (Noh Kwang-shik) seems to particularly mistrust him… and I think I smell some rivalry cooking up for the future — especially since Chang is already driving Young-jae around in his fancy sports car and taking her out for whole chicken dinners.

F2_4C.jpg

http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/02/forest-episodes-5-8-open-thread/

16 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Same thought I have! 

I love to see how she enjoys the food. Almost thought I am watching Let’s Eat 4 :lol: Still imagining the taste of that chicken dish she had with 2ML :P

Oh yeah, that chicken looked delicious! And they promised each other to go eat other delicious food too! I actually enjoy all the food scenes even though they are probably ppl :lol:

21 hours ago, nrllee said:

I am rewatching with full subs now.  Actually did the rescue worker she operated on survive?  YJ hits an artery, there’s arterial spatter and anesthetist barks, “BP is dropping”.  YJ clamps off the artery and bleeding seems to be stemmed.  But then the subs have the nurse in the OR saying, “Doctor, it seems the patient won’t make it.”?   The next scene has her stumbling out of the lift.  Preview seems to imply that she ran off?  Voice over says, “I ran away cowardly.  A doctor abandoned her patient”.

You mean the female doctor/nurse? I think she said something like "it is done." When she said that, YJ sighed in a way that the work is complete and now she can relax.

I guess YJ was mentally exhausted and blood didn't help her. And another dying patient that she saw as she walked out escalated her panic attack. 

Thank you for your thoughts @40somethingahjumma it was very insightful and I loved reading the whole post.  Thanks also to @nrllee and the rest of the Foresters for sharing your thoughts.  I'll share mine once I am done with the subbed episodes, the struggle is real! :(

------------------------------------------------------------- 

'포레스트' 박해진 파워에 가파른 상승세…수목 확고한 1위

'Forest' steep rise in power … The firm first place

Forest had established it's no. 1 spot among the airing dramas with the rise in ratings and number 1 in search rankings.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/215/0000846632

A202002100328_1_20200210142508565.jpg?ty

포레스트' 박해진X조보아, '강정 커플'이라 가능…'숲속 힐링 데이트' 모음

Forest' Park x JoBoa,  possible 'gangjeong couple'… Forest Healing Date Collection

0000624270_001_20200209114313821.jpg?typ

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/468/0000624270

200210 ‘포레스트’ 소방관 박해진, 낭떠러지 누비는 아찔한 스틸컷

'Forest' Park Hae-jin, playing an active part in a still cuts a firefighter.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/609/0000245461

202002101043310310_1_20200210104517245.j202002101043310310_2_20200210104517247.j202002101043310310_5_20200210104517255.j

Spoiler

202002101043310310_4_20200210104517253.j202002101043310310_3_20200210104517250.j

37 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Photo evidence of my subbed English version. <_<  I thought it was weird because YJ looked relieved?  English subbed version is not to be trusted. :blink:  I am going to watch the Chinese subbed version henceforth.

the same subs on my vid copy and from a different streaming site, poor us who don't know Hangul and Chinese.

Thank you for pointing this out @nrllee

Spoiler

E9-B1066-C-13-C7-4-F17-A0-FF-187-BA8-D63

I just finished watching the latest Eng subbed episode... I agree that the struggle is real. :sweatingbullets:

But it's worth the waiting and I couldn't help but to admire KSH more. 

8c20bd7d3ea041fcf22de64bc8564606a694c0a2

9fd5478c69a72307005251cf76c906b08a065c52

01599fa61e0ee8727d9f8aa3b5fb577d13401895

PHJ is so strong when he carried JBA effortless that I couldn't help but to remember that with her tall height others were shaky or struggled at lifting her up. :D

Spoiler

03bcb2e1e635a59fd76fa8e403abe84fbc37c72b

No offense to Exo Baekhyun's fans. (peace)... :P

original.gif

weheartit.com

i'm behind with this drama. Just finished with ep4/8 and came here to quick read all the postings here. Some how this drama just doesn't cut it for me. The only thing i like is the FL and ML cute interactions and PHJ killer abs:D

I will come here from time to time to check on you guys. Happy watching

'포레스트' 박해진, 심장 붙들 새 없이 '훅' 들어오네

'Forest' Park Hae-jin, let it come to grips new 'hook' without heart.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/015/0004287425

0004287425_001_20200210164601836.jpg?typ

'포레스트' 박해진-조보아, 한밤중 '파스 범벅 어부바' 포착

Forest Park Hae jin & Jo Bo A, in the middle of the night, Body covered with pain relief patch and piggyback captured. ( _happytea_ twitter)

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/076/0003529801

2020021201000772000050451_20200211091806

'포레스트' 박해진 "연기 비결? 대본이 구멍이 날 때까지 본다"

"Forest" Park Hae-jin said, "The secret to acting? I watch the script until it's perforated."

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/312/0000435263

A202002110323_1_20200211140710073.jpg?ty

Park Hae Jin Gives Jo Bo Ah An Unexpected Piggyback Ride In “Forest”

Feb 11, 2020
by S. Nam
1e5e8eb455ae4c2297ea27583cec04b8.jpeg?s=

KBS 2TV’s Wednesday-Thursday drama “Forest” has released new stills of Park Hae Jin and Jo Bo Ah!

“Forest” tells the story of a man who has everything but a heart and a woman who has lost everything but her heart as they meet in a mystical forest and attempt to uncover the secrets within it.

Park Hae Jin plays Kang San Hyuk, a man who is willing to do anything to achieve his goal of amassing a personal fortune of one trillion won (approximately $850 million) and is interested in nothing else. Jo Bo Ah plays Jung Young Jae, a skilled surgeon who wants to teach a lesson to people who show off.

Spoiler

In the previous broadcast, Kang San Hyuk caused a power outage at their shared house, and Kang San Hyuk and Jung Young Jae bickered while trying to generate energy themselves. While sharing a meal together, Jung Young Jae talked about the time when she first entered medical school and was a poor student who didn’t even have time to eat proper meals. At this story, Kang San Hyuk chided her to eat proper meals now that she is the rising ace of the surgery department.

The newly released stills showcase the moment in which Kang San Hyuk runs over to Jung Young Jae’s room at the sound of her scream. When Kang San Hyuk appears, Jung Young Jae climbs onto his back and attaches herself to him while looking terrified. When she finally becomes embarrassed by her actions, she quickly climbs down from Kang San Hyuk’s back, only to realize that his shoulders are covered in pain relief patches. His hair is also a complete bird’s nest as he had to suddenly run over, making viewers curious to find out what could have caused the unexpected uproar.

Park-Hae-Jin-Jo-Bo-Ah2.jpg

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1382417wpp/park-hae-jin-gives-jo-bo-ah-an-unexpected-piggyback-ride-in-forest

Ewwww when he caught it, but bwahahahahhaaa with the panicking and head steering....

I hate that thing so much too, but her reaction is really over the top :lol: I have a SIL, a niece and a cousin who will react like that at the sight of a cockroach, especially flying ones. For cockroach, I am not afraid to catch it with my hand (using tissue of course), but no thanks with the lizzy... shooing it away will do, hahahaaa

Archived