Quantcast

18 hours ago, mellialuna said:

No just you, each time there is a look from the monk to Met!

I presume that is a typo : "Not just you..."

I have been re-watching the episodes. I hadn't noticed that in the Temple (Ep 3) Met disappears in the wide shots when the monk starts talking about 'spirits' ; up until the point Thun asks about taking Met back to familiar places, as a reply the Monk looks at Met (back again) and nods. That might be a continuity error as opposed to any deeper meaning.

In Ep 4 during the street scene the monk definitely nods at Met before leaving. It is quite subtle but definitely done. I was wondering on watching the previous episode if it wasn't just my imagination in the temple. Although the monk turns his head and the camera looks at Met, in those wider shots (when Met isn't there) he could have been simply turning to Plai. The street scene nails it for me. The monks can see him even if they do not interact with him.

Which makes me wonder why they were not offended that Thun had brought a spirit into the temple ? I need to get out more if I am starting to worry about Thai religious observances from a TV show :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dustinmyeye said:

I presume that is a typo : "Not just you..."

Indeed :)

5 hours ago, dustinmyeye said:

I need to get out more if I am starting to worry about Thai religious observances from a TV show :)

555 :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dustinmyeye said:

Which makes me wonder why they were not offended that Thun had brought a spirit into the temple ?

Because there was a spirit in the temple.  Spirits are not banned. The temples are places where spirits could be so in the case of Mes, he wasn't out of place. Considering the spiritual and philosophical nature of Buddhism, acknowledgement of the spirit would be more the norm than exception. For me it's when the Monk started to speak about making merit for someone else ...the eye shift of the monk and the camera focus  caught my attention...also his mention of  Karma which considering how everything played out in the end was for all of them, Mes included -  the interaction in the street scene confirmed it for me...

I really respect this director - he's subtle but direct in what he wants from a scene almost demanding that the viewer pay attention to the minute details, which in this series made watching raw was wonderful.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, deltos said:

I really respect this director - he's subtle but direct in what he wants from a scene almost demanding that the viewer pay attention to the minute details, which in this series made watching raw was wonderful.

Aye, I follow your reasoning about Mes in the temple - though the monk did behave as though this was an everyday occurrence, perhaps it is.

As for the director, you are right, you need to pay attention. I think it is harder for us foreigners because we have to watch, listen and read the subtitles. I've just watched it again over the past few evenings. Apart from a couple of moments of basketball angst which I skipped over, the rest is on the button.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dustinmyeye said:

As for the director, you are right, you need to pay attention. I think it is harder for us foreigners because we have to watch, listen and read the subtitles. I've just watched it again over the past few evenings. Apart from a couple of moments of basketball angst which I skipped over, the rest is on the button.

Well considering none of them had ever played basketball..while angsty they sorta kinda ok...along with the tight editing... I usually try to find out who the directors are - those with cinematic background  and/or 3 or more series under their belts generally produce a higher quality and intelligent BL series and understand the phrase " adaptation of a novel " more than those who shoot page by page. There are perhaps 4 such directors out there in the BL Universe.  HCTM director is one of them.  I've learned to watch raw so I don't get caught up reading dialogue on first watch. My Mandarin is much better than my Thai only cause I watch Chinese Historical Fantasies.....but I get by.

Actually,

Spoiler

the director for soon to air 2moons 2 has directed one movie,  Present Perfect, and currently has a horror flick ( kinda campy) releasing in Thailand soon.  So I am expecting a very different drama than the original one. 

8 hours ago, deltos said:

Well considering none of them had ever played basketball..while angsty they sorta kinda ok...along with the tight editing... I usually try to find out who the directors are - those with cinematic background  and/or 3 or more series under their belts generally produce a higher quality and intelligent BL series and understand the phrase " adaptation of a novel " more than those who shoot page by page. There are perhaps 4 such directors out there in the BL Universe.  HCTM director is one of them.  I've learned to watch raw so I don't get caught up reading dialogue on first watch. My Mandarin is much better than my Thai only cause I watch Chinese Historical Fantasies.....but I get by.

Actually,

Reveal hidden contents

the director for soon to air 2moons 2 has directed one movie,  Present Perfect, and currently has a horror flick ( kinda campy) releasing in Thailand soon.  So I am expecting a very different drama than the original one. 

I actually meant the arguments on court. I watched some of the BTS clips that have been subbed and they all mention how they suck at basketball. Last night I laughed because right enough, they do. I don't think that they managed to get the ball in the net once. It made the 'competition' scene between Thun and Prince even funnier because as Prince launched the ball I was thinking : god knows where that went ; it sounds as though it hit the wall rather than going through the net :)

I watched the odd episode of Sotus raw but as I had no idea what anybody was talking about it was a bit pointless aside from giving me a hint as to what was going to happen.

I can follow the odd word now in Thai, certainly enough to notice differences in translations for the more familiar phrases. I have enough trouble keeping up with French in my day to day life, so Mandarin and Thai just to watch TV are out of the question. Good on you, even if you do use them on a daily basis, because your English is excellent as well.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, dustinmyeye said:

I actually meant the arguments on court. I watched some of the BTS clips that have been subbed and they all mention how they suck at basketball. Last night I laughed because right enough, they do. I don't think that they managed to get the ball in the net once. It made the 'competition' scene between Thun and Prince even funnier because as Prince launched the ball I was thinking : god knows where that went ; it sounds as though it hit the wall rather than going through the net

Ah ok...yeah the on court convo was angsty...and necessary to move the story forward emotional conflict always works ! I also think the reason we didn't see more non-playing was the use of more than one camera...they could make the edits so it appeared they played well although their shooting form told you they didn't have a clue..lol

I watched the odd episode of Sotus raw but as I had no idea what anybody was talking about it was a bit pointless aside from giving me a hint as to what was going to happen.

I also think what made HCTM shine is that even without the subs ( like in a old-time silent movie) you could follow plot of the story - the dialogue added to a deeper understanding. Some think Sotus is the Holy Grail...others ( me ) think even with subs it wasn't clear - so there's that...raw was painful. 

I can follow the odd word now in Thai, certainly enough to notice differences in translations for the more familiar phrases. I have enough trouble keeping up with French in my day to day life, so Mandarin and Thai just to watch TV are out of the question. Good on you, even if you do use them on a daily basis, because your English is excellent as well.

thanks !  it's a linguistic challenge all the way around sometimes...I think it's rather elitist of me to intentionally watch a show in another language then demand subs..when I can help myself a bit...although it seems with the increase in international viewers, more BL series are aired with subs right off the starting block.  I know 2moon2 too will be sub at airing. Not sure what they are going to do with Theory of Love - gmmtv is kinda slow on the uptake with subs...:joy:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, deltos said:

gmmtv is kinda slow on the uptake with subs...

Are they? Because their latest series get engsub quite quickly. So i don't think we should be worried about sub for ToL, DBK and other GMM-series.;)

44 minutes ago, WeLoveSoompi said:

OST COVER by Singto

Every time i listen Singto singing i just can hear how hard he tries to do his best. And his efforts pays off. He did nice with the song, and i like a capella part in the end.

19 hours ago, dustinmyeye said:

though the monk did behave as though this was an everyday occurrence, perhaps it is.

May be in the series reality it is typical for monk to gain the ability to see ghosts eventually after being a monk for long time.

But I'm actually mostly curious about Khem: can he see all ghosts now or only Ngoon?:D

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, aniola said:

Every time i listen Singto singing i just can hear how hard he tries to do his best. And his efforts pays off. He did nice with the song, and i like a capella part in the end.

I was impressed with the ending..because it says a lot to stay on pitch ....I wish they would drop the register...his voice would really open up

5 minutes ago, aniola said:

But I'm actually mostly curious about Khem: can he see all ghosts now or only Ngoon?:D

I think that was Karma.  Payback for how he acted with Thun....LOL. I'm thinking only Ngoon...but they certainly left enough for a season 2...there is still the rest of the book to do.

1 hour ago, aniola said:

Yes he did and the song is really difficult to sing!

1 hour ago, deltos said:

I think that was Karma.  Payback for how he acted with Thun....LOL. I'm thinking only Ngoon...

I can't get rid of the idea of ghost-double-date with Thun/Met and Khem/Ngoon.:lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

13 hours ago, aniola said:

Every time I listen Singto singing I just can hear how hard he tries to do his best. And his efforts pays off. He did nice with the song, and I like a capella part in the end.

13 hours ago, deltos said:

I was impressed with the ending..because it says a lot to stay on pitch ....I wish they would drop the register...his voice would really open up

I was getting ready to cringe last night when I hit the play button but it was actually quite good. I am always of the impression that they are miming to themselves when they do the video. That doesn't detract from his voice, in fact I think the add-on shows that his voice was stronger than the released version where they seem to have softened it.

I just wished they had binned the over the top instrumental bit in the middle. At first I thought it was somebody in dreadful pain. There were times where it was used to heighten the emotional tension and I found myself thinking, for goodness sake just go to the hospital and get it treated. Then I realised that it was an instrument - my apologies to the artist concerned.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, aniola said:

I can't get rid of the idea of ghost-double-date with Thun/Met and Khem/Ngoon.:lol:

That could be quite funny to say the least !:joy: I think a HCTM2 is in order ( to finish the novel of course ). Ohm and Singto are under the gmmtv house so it's possible - they do have a nice connection and flow. 

I just wished they had binned the over the top instrumental bit in the middle. At first I thought it was somebody in dreadful pain. There were times where it was used to heighten the emotional tension and I found myself thinking, for goodness sake just go to the hospital and get it treated. Then I realised that it was an instrument - my apologies to the artist concerned.

LOL...although that seems to be the norm in a lot of Thai instrumentation . Not sure sometimes if its the actual instrument ( non western ) or just too much top. Not every vocalist can have BTS's flawless falsetto, so I think they use the instruments in lieu of...there are times I think, could ya add a bass line riff to that ?  LOL I listen to quite a bit of Korean, Chinese and Thai performers ( including Kpop).  However,   I do give credit where credit is due -  it seems of late that there is a trend for ML's to do OST covers; actors expanding their repertoire and since gmm  has music division - why not !  

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 6:02 PM, mellialuna said:
On 5/18/2019 at 9:45 PM, dustinmyeye said:

I don't know if it was just me but I had the impression that the Monks could always see Met.

No just you, each time there is a look from the monk to Met!

Maybe (surely, for me) it is an error from actor playing monk that forgot to not watch/have a look on "ghost"!!!

I am not even going to say that I am in the least bit shamed to announce that I was so influenced by this series that I bought myself a small Bingsu machine. I would have liked an electric one but finally went for a manual one because it didn't require the extra expense of needing a power transformer.

I shall now have lots of fun over the summer trying to create my own dishes with those ingredients available in France :)

• Like 1