[Drama 2019] Spring Night, 봄밤

0ly40

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, thistle said:

We each like different things, so if this drama isn't right for you, then that is not a bad thing.  :)

Perhaps in understanding this drama it might help to read some of the previous posts on this thread--we've all thought about this a lot and we've written about all of the facets of this drama at length.  But here's a short version of an explanation:

The boyfriend (GS) is an emotionally abusive passive-aggressive personality.  The female lead (JI) has been dating him because he is acceptable to her father (GS's father is JI's father's boss, and his family is wealthy).  At first there was some attraction between GS and JI but it quickly fizzled out as he emotionally battered and belittled her.  She lost touch with who she really is because she was only tolerating GS all the time.

The reason GS "is okay" with being "treated like that" is that he does not see JI as an individual person; instead, she is a possession that he intends to keep.  It is not because he wants her but that he doesn't want to let go of her.  Worse, he sees JH (the male lead) as someone flawed and socially inferior because JH is a single father.

JI is attracted to JH because he is the polar opposite of GS.  JH is kind and caring, and he is emotionally mature while GS is stunted and selfish.

When JI met JH, she began to wake up to how unhappy she has been with GS.  She then had to make the difficult decision to break up with GS.  She felt responsible to GS because she had been dating him for four years but she also has to deal with the expectations of her family and her friends, so it isn't easy for her.

.....at the end of the day, I'd say that if a drama is driving you up a wall, it's best to step away.  Hey, I'm the person who does not like Goblin while everyone else thinks it's the bee's knees.  ;)  It's all good as long as we watch what makes us happy.  :)

Agree what you said and I cracked up seeing what you wrote about goblin cause I share the sentiments lol :Dthe female characters written by Kim eun sook are really not likeable for me  and only work that I enjoyed of her's was "Mr sunshine" which I didn't thought I would as I started it because of Kim taeri(was totally mesmerized by her performance in "the handmaiden" ).Lee Jung in character may be not likeable by few audiences but I would take her attitude anyday over self sacrificing female leads it's refreshing to see cause hey it's okay to be selfish sometimes. She fully accepts her flaws it's up to the other person to take it or leave. If it was not because of my love for jiho characters and otp I would gladly see Jung in going solo living a single life :D.

51 minutes ago, Pmyonly said:

Agree what you said and I cracked up seeing what you wrote about goblin cause I share the sentiments lol :Dthe female characters written by Kim eun sook are really not likeable for me  and only work that I enjoyed of her's was "Mr sunshine" which I didn't thought I would as I started it because of Kim taeri(was totally mesmerized by her performance in "the handmaiden" ).Lee Jung in character may be not likeable by few audiences but I would take her attitude anyday over self sacrificing female leads it's refreshing to see cause hey it's okay to be selfish sometimes. She fully accepts her flaws it's up to the other person to take it or leave. If it was not because of my love for jiho characters and otp I would gladly see Jung in going solo living a single life :D.

Glad to know I'm not alone!  :D  The qualities of the leads can make or break a drama.  As long as a character is believable and the story doesn't offend, I'll give almost any drama a try.  Heaven help us, I almost made it all the way through Goblin by sheer gritty determination because I kept thinking, "If people absolutely love this, it has to be good--what is wrong with me that I'm missing it?"  Yeah, turns out that there was nothing wrong with me--I just didn't like a drama because I thought differently to others.

To be honest, though, I can kinda see where @Dudiemight be coming from in thinking that JI is annoying.

Here's the truth about what I think of JI (kindly do not slay me for this):  in real life, I find people like her a bit intimidating so I wouldn't be one of her friends.  But she is someone I'd admire from a distance, just the way I do with her character in this drama--sometimes I wish I could be like that but it's not in me.  JI is opinionated and sometimes over-powering; I prefer being around people with more subtlety and sagacity.  And actually there is a character like that here:  Jae In.  She appears to be noisy and pushy but is really just faking that attitude to keep herself and her heart safe.  Jae In is the sort of person you want to have your back because she's watchful, and she's always thinking of others.  I'd love being buddies with her. 

I think that JI's tendency to overpower others is not permanent and that it will be tempered with time.  Right now, she's feeling the freedom from being under GS's thumb all the time.  It has honestly bothered me a bit that she has bossed JH around (she has to hug him, she can't let him hug her; she won't let him come to her, she has to go to him; etc.) and that he has allowed her to push him.  But I still think that they are absolutely right for one another, and I love them together.  

One of the things I've really enjoyed about this drama is watching the characters grow and change.  The JI and the JH  we saw in episode one are very different people now as we near the end of the drama.  And I believe that this is one of the very best dramas I have ever seen--one of my top 5 for sure.

As I was just wondering how lee jung in is outspoken I stumbled across this one qoute on Tumblr (from the movie "Bacchus ladies" not everyone's cup of tea and definitely not easy to watch but I love these out of box kinda projects)where the main character soyoung said-"I am the main cast in my life" it reminded me of moment when ji said-"i come first" lol.Also this quote (From WWW haven't watched it)-"I want to stop blaming myself and start blaming others"(cr to uploader).Nice change from innocent ladies falling in love with the bad boys/jerk male leads(mostly chaebol)B):D

1 minute ago, Pmyonly said:

Nice change from innocent ladies falling in love with the bad boys/jerk male leads(mostly chaebol)B):D

And thank goodness for that!  Bad boys and jerk males are not the sort of guys you want in real life (we need more men like JH!).  GS = very bad boy. 

I also can't stand that chaebol drama stuff, and the shrill screaming sobbing "innocent" ladies.  JI is a very refreshing change.  Love the women on WWW, too, although (pardon me going off topic for a moment)

Spoiler

Tammy is treating Morgan the way that we used to see men treating women in old dramas--as though they are disposable and of less value--and it is completely ticking me off.  I can't get behind their relationship at all.  Really liking Scarlett and her boy-actor, though.  And I am kinda into GG and her husband's odd relationship, too.

Spring Night has really exceeded expectation.  It has shown us a variety of relationships--love, family, friends.  None are perfect.  It's in a "common" world where there are people that anyone might know (instead of the high and mighty) and where there are problems that people really do face.  I love that.  This is a beautifully written drama, and the actors have been amazing.

Fingers crossed that the last two episodes leave us breathless with happiness!

20 minutes ago, thistle said:

And thank goodness for that!  Bad boys and jerk males are not the sort of guys you want in real life (we need more men like JH!).  GS = very bad boy. 

I also can't stand that chaebol drama stuff, and the shrill screaming sobbing "innocent" ladies.  JI is a very refreshing change.  Love the women on WWW, too, although (pardon me going off topic for a moment)

Reveal hidden contents

Tammy is treating Morgan the way that we used to see men treating women in old dramas--as though they are disposable and of less value--and it is completely ticking me off.  I can't get behind their relationship at all.  Really liking Scarlett and her boy-actor, though.  And I am kinda into GG and her husband's odd relationship, too.

Spring Night has really exceeded expectation.  It has shown us a variety of relationships--love, family, friends.  None are perfect.  It's in a "common" world where there are people that anyone might know (instead of the high and mighty) and where there are problems that people really do face.  I love that.  This is a beautifully written drama, and the actors have been amazing.

Fingers crossed that the last two episodes leave us breathless with happiness!

Haven't watched the drama(WWW) but will definitely as i love the dramas which gives us strong female characters.The realistic touch in spring night is what that made me fall in love with this drama and @ bold :thumbsup:.

1 hour ago, thistle said:

Glad to know I'm not alone!  :D  The qualities of the leads can make or break a drama.  As long as a character is believable and the story doesn't offend, I'll give almost any drama a try.  Heaven help us, I almost made it all the way through Goblin by sheer gritty determination because I kept thinking, "If people absolutely love this, it has to be good--what is wrong with me that I'm missing it?"  Yeah, turns out that there was nothing wrong with me--I just didn't like a drama because I thought differently to others.

To be honest, though, I can kinda see where @Dudiemight be coming from in thinking that JI is annoying.

Here's the truth about what I think of JI (kindly do not slay me for this):  in real life, I find people like her a bit intimidating so I wouldn't be one of her friends.  But she is someone I'd admire from a distance, just the way I do with her character in this drama--sometimes I wish I could be like that but it's not in me.  JI is opinionated and sometimes over-powering; I prefer being around people with more subtlety and sagacity.  And actually there is a character like that here:  Jae In.  She appears to be noisy and pushy but is really just faking that attitude to keep herself and her heart safe.  Jae In is the sort of person you want to have your back because she's watchful, and she's always thinking of others.  I'd love being buddies with her. 

I think that JI's tendency to overpower others is not permanent and that it will be tempered with time.  Right now, she's feeling the freedom from being under GS's thumb all the time.  It has honestly bothered me a bit that she has bossed JH around (she has to hug him, she can't let him hug her; she won't let him come to her, she has to go to him; etc.) and that he has allowed her to push him.  But I still think that they are absolutely right for one another, and I love them together.  

One of the things I've really enjoyed about this drama is watching the characters grow and change.  The JI and the JH  we saw in episode one are very different people now as we near the end of the drama.  And I believe that this is one of the very best dramas I have ever seen--one of my top 5 for sure.

So much of what you have said resonates with me! I also couldn't stand Goblin LOL!. I also felt uncomfortable at first with JI's pushiness with JH and in real life, she would intimidate me. However, I came to realize that it was not that she was necessarily being pushy but that she had finally met a man who unlike her father and her boyfriend, allowed her to be herself and make choices rather than try to overpower her or belittle her. She is finding her feet and herself again with JH and I think in time (and we already see it, as you noted, the JI and JH from the beginning are quite different people at the end) their relationship will balance out. When someone is not trying to force you to follow them, it makes it easier to see their intentions, understand their point of view and let them lead/lean on them if it makes sense. She is learning that she can lead and he will follow and it allows her let him lead because he will not destroy her sense of self in the process. Does that make sense?

I liked that scene (I forget which episode now) where she said she wanted to be like him, that he inspired her (they were sitting at his dining table); he has also said that he learns from her. This is my ideal in a relationship: two people who can learn from each other to become better people together and apart. Am loving this drama so much!!!!!

7 hours ago, Dudie said:

I just started watching this Kdrama (I'm at episode 9 (5) now) and the female lead annoys me a lot. I don't get why she's so angry at her boyfriend. Why is he even her boyfriend because she seems to absolutely hate him. And why is he okay with being treated like that.

And then she plays around with that other guy and keep giving him false hope and gets pissed at him too.

Urgh I think I try to complete this eps and then decide if I will drop it. I never was this annoyed with the female lead I think...

You should drop it.

She doesn't end up being nicer to her boyfriend.  Or her father.

If she's annoying you now, you'll find her infuriating in the future.

1 hour ago, chistarr said:

So much of what you have said resonates with me! I also couldn't stand Goblin LOL!. I also felt uncomfortable at first with JI's pushiness with JH and in real life, she would intimidate me. However, I came to realize that it was not that she was necessarily being pushy but that she had finally met a man who unlike her father and her boyfriend, allowed her to be herself and make choices rather than try to overpower her or belittle her. She is finding her feet and herself again with JH and I think in time (and we already see it, as you noted, the JI and JH from the beginning are quite different people at the end) their relationship will balance out. When someone is not trying to force you to follow them, it makes it easier to see their intentions, understand their point of view and let them lead/lean on them if it makes sense. She is learning that she can lead and he will follow and it allows her let him lead because he will not destroy her sense of self in the process. Does that make sense?

I liked that scene (I forget which episode now) where she said she wanted to be like him, that he inspired her (they were sitting at his dining table); he has also said that he learns from her. This is my ideal in a relationship: two people who can learn from each other to become better people together and apart. Am loving this drama so much!!!!!

You make perfect sense, and you've made some really excellent points.  I am so excited to see where this drama takes us in the last two episode.

Because I have been burned by so many dramas having bad endings (yeah, I'm looking at you Ghost Detective and Hwayugi), of course I'm gonna worry a little bit.  However, writer-nim has really, really, really followed through on this drama, so I'm gonna keep believing that it will end well.  Wish we'd get happy endings for the sisters, too.

@tomo74i am not alone too. I did not even started that drama. I don't know but even if the writer's works are rating high, i don't like her dramas. I am even wondering how in the world her dramas are top rated lol. Off topic apologies.

It's wednesday yay. Last 2 episodes:wub: A hug last this is enough for me.

Hello everyone!. I am very late in joining this thread. I have been watching or should I say “chasing” One Spring Night” every week since it started. And loving every episode. It is very rare for me to watch a drama like that as I am more into thrillers. However OSN has one of the most realistic storylines and well executed. I am loving every minute of it. The characters have been brought to life beautifully not only by Jung Hae In/Han Jimin but every supporting cast is great. The character development of the leads are amazing. I can see JI grow stronger every day with JH’s stoic and dependable character. JH on the other hand has been one of the most supportive man .. selfless, understanding, loving, strong father and boyfriend and now we are going to see his other side which he had kept hidden for so long.. the fear and also the hurt which he had suppressed for so long in order to stay strong for his family. 

I believe the story will stay strong till the end and the JH and JI Will overcome the final obstacle and be happy. I am waiting to see the peaceful and happy smile from JH (Jung Hae In.. you definitely have a smile that melts a lot of hearts) basking in love with JI.

to the directors and writer of OSN, congratulations for the beautiful cinematography and script writing. One of the best dramas I have seen in 2019.  

Waiting for the final 2 episodes!

Archived