Quantcast

3 minutes ago, Pmyonly said:

May be i am trying to console myself lol:D but anyway if (only if) ending is bad with them not getting back together then what was the whole point of jiho-jung in falling in love,them trying to fight together for their happiness, acceptance of eunwoo,showing there is nothing wrong with jiho being a single dad and now  we have moms consoling each other(i am guessing by clips).Hoping for best.

P.s  This drama may appear slow paced and boring for few people but "Typical" its far  away from that .The reality in this show just hits you hard make you feel frustrated cause this kind of issues take place in REAL LIFE "Unoriginal" there are only few kdramas(in marriage contract we have seen single mother) which has shown how its difficult for people with flaw to survive in society as young ju said - They are the perfect target for people to gossip.Anyway opinions are welcomed here cause each have their perspective of seeing things.

I agree with you. OSN has surpassed template if kdrama in all quarters - Story, writing, acting, addressing subtle social issues, screenplay, romance etc, etc. 

• Like 10
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, Real_noona said:

I think the topic of EU's mother is super necessary to the plot. So far JH has been very understanding, even with JI going back and forth and even suggesting her to be considerate of her ex. The story would have been incomplete if we did not see JH grappling with his difficult past, and how it has affected his son, (he has never seen his mom) and to live in fear that she might come back one day and stake her claim. This must be the nightmare that JH must have lived everyday. He is keenly aware of his situation even from the beginning, therefore not even dating anyone and avoiding feeling anything for JI in the onset. I hope the next episodes helps JI understand the underlying fear that JH lives with everyday and behind this kind person, there is a past that will always lurk. This is their final hurdle in this 16 episode show and with only two episodes left it would be good to see the writer address this. Angsty or not, I am in. Bring it on last week of OSN! 

Bang On! Thanku for mentioning this :thumbsup:

• Like 9
  • Love 1

This is where I get accused of not having a sense of humor . . . whatever

I don't speak Korean so I don't fully know what is going one, but . . . 

Whenever I see actors working out physical stuff between themselves I just think how unprofessional it is.

That scene of JH practicing picking up JI looks cute until you think he has no idea what he's doing and as a result to hurt himself or hurt the other actor. 

And this:

Han Jimin said, "Come here fast, I'm embarrassed," in which Jung Haein replied, "Why are you embarrassed? I'm not embarrassed at all." 

The director then caused laughter on the set with his comment, "Why are you embarrassed? It's a blessing (to be able to shoot a bed scene with Jung Haein)"

That is never an appropriate  response.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 5

The women in this show are *not typical k drama ladies* they are neither totally whitewashed nor evil.Each of them has flaws but they always comes out as strong and the happiness that i feel  when they root for each other :wub:I really appreciate the writer for showing us this side.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

One more point before going to bed, loved the silent conversation between the two moms. I think it worked out better for JI's mom to overhear JH's mom's concerns instead of meeting JH at the pharmacy - awkward because it's his workplace and surprise because he did not expect to see her there. To hear about him from his mom was such a great plot writing ...I am impressed how this show uses characters, all the minor ones to make a point. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Kooslee said:

Previews can be misleadings too, so hang on everyone.

I'm not giving up.  I believe that the ending will be happy.  It just has to be.  The writer has crafted the script so beautifully, as though she is making up for all of the sins of SITR.  Certainly this show makes me forgive her.

But I can't do angst, especially with a drama that is as good as this one because I get so attached to the story and the characters.  It's just spoilers for me until next Thursday--this is my version of common sense.  When you know you're susceptible, it's wise to pay attention to that so that the rest of life can continue without undue interruption.

With two of my favorite dramas, (spoiler tagging in case this is too Off Topic)

Spoiler

I quit watching Just Between Lovers somewhere around episode 9.  Worse, I quit watching Come Here and Hug Me after only episode 2!  But I never left those dramas and I kept up with spoilers, knowing that I would watch when the Drama Drama was done.

Now, I have since watched and re-watched both several times.  They are absolutely the best dramas I've ever seen, and I have watched a raft-load of dramas.  But I could NOT watch them unspoiled and I absolutely had to wait until they were completed. 

The fact that I had to leave them is actually evidence of how very good they are because I was really feeling the atmosphere both of them projected.  And I think they resonated with me especially since the characters also suffer from trauma.  Maybe that's why I think JI and JH also touch a cord--they have been harmed by life but they are healing with one another.

editing.....just still thinking about this and wanted to add one thing: this is not the only drama I'm watching.  I'm also watching Angel Last Mission and Search WWW, as well as several JDoramas.  While I am enjoying all of them, I am merely entertained by the other shows and I don't turn away because they aren't all that meaningful to me.  It's only when something actually matters that it hurts.  One Spring Night matters.

• Like 10
  • Love 4

@hushhh  What I like about this Korean drama is how it is embracing differences in perspectives, difference in opinions,  learning societal issues and either accepting it or not:  issues such as marital rape, marital abuse, single dad, break ups, dating , etc.  It forces very "conservative" countries such like Korea ... or maybe yours to start learning different perspectives and this  maybe an opportunity to learn and embrace other societal demands and issues.  

• Like 9

1 minute ago, razledgoose said:

@hushhh  What I like about this Korean drama is how it is embracing differences in perspectives, difference in opinions,  learning societal issues and either accepting it or not:  issues such as marital rape, marital abuse, single dad, break ups, dating , etc.  It forces very "conservative" countries such like Korea ... or maybe yours to start learning different perspectives and this  maybe an opportunity to learn and embrace other societal demands and issues.  

Hi,

I can't respond to the post because I'm not sure what this is response to, if anything.

But I'm not sure Korean drama is embracing of different societal perspective, per se, but like artist everywhere kdramas examine/interrogate their own societal norms and expectation and how those norms/restriction affect individuals.

I think forums responding to kdramas tend to be more embracing of/curious about difference in perspective. That's what I like about these forum it allows me to engage with different perspectives in what I hope is a respectful way.

BTW while I consider myself a centrist, most people in North America where I live would see me as liberal or progressive.  I just see myself as someone who believes all human being as deserving the rights.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, Pmyonly said:

May be i am trying to console myself lol:D but anyway if (only if) ending is bad with them not getting back together then what was the whole point of jiho-jung in falling in love,them trying to fight together for their happiness, acceptance of eunwoo,showing there is nothing wrong with jiho being a single dad and now  we have moms consoling each other(i am guessing by clips).Hoping for best.

P.s  This drama may appear slow paced and boring for few people but "Typical" its far  away from that .The reality in this show just hits you hard make you feel frustrated cause this kind of issues take place in REAL LIFE "Unoriginal" there are only few kdramas(in marriage contract we have seen single mother) which has shown how its difficult for people with flaw to survive in society as young ju said - They are the perfect target for people to gossip.Anyway opinions are welcomed here cause each have their perspective of seeing things.

I think you misunderstood I was not talking about the whole drama!  I thought that was obvious.

I mean yall can disagree thats fine but it does not mean that I have to like these late game  setups dramas tend to break for.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

55 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

I think you misunderstood I was not talking about the whole drama!  I thought that was obvious.

I mean yall can disagree thats fine but it does not mean that I have to like these late game  setups dramas tend to break for.

I think they still haven't broken up (there is no mention in the preview)yet yes there are issues arising but may be they will try to overcome it and give each other space and time to think over it so rather than assuming I would wait and see.

Thanku for clearing it.

P.s it's okay if you don't like it as I said everyone's opinion is welcome here (+ or -)

• Like 8

Hahaha!  I cant help it but finish watching with subs.. sooo sleepy now.  Anyhow JH's ex girlfriend will never appear.  She is married and even has a child for herself.

It is just that JH gotten too emotional and upset that he started drinking himself silly.  Then he started to confuse himself and ask whether Jeong In will leave them at the end of the episode... next week we will know what other hurtful things he might say.  I guess it probably hurt JI.  Cos he already show no confidence with the relationship...

Regarding the woman voice in preview, i think it is JI... i guess it is conveying the conversation to GS.  I have full faith that she will not take GS back.  I hope JH quickly compose himself and grabbed JI and never let her go.

• Like 15

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaGDY6ZROyrLMkrcBgddbspring-night.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDYa9KV4rmu0_1CeF-cDz

I too am hoping for that happy ending mainly for a little boy who could and should have it all.  A family.   And yet a part of me is thankful that this writer not only showed but highlighted the realistic struggles of falling in love and how it effects every part of ones life.  Not only between the two falling in love but all those relationships that surround them... 

Judgements, greed, abuse, and selfishness and pure lack of faith in ones self in being able to stand up for yourself and your happiness.   Those choices that seem so simple, that is unless its giving in and giving up.  For if one makes the wrong one no matter if it's to protect or submit  it can and will change everything and there may be no second chance...

Still my heart says if you were told you could fall in love and it would be magical but brief.  Playful, laughing, holding, surrendering yourself like never before and feeling that other person and them feeling and understanding the real you. 

How could one not choose to experience that...

• Like 9
  • Love 3

I cried so much during the moms' scenes at a coffee shop and the bus stop. I enjoyed this episode more than I thought - not depressing like previous preview indicated.

I thought it was understandable that JH got drunk after he learned his ex is married and had a child now. I think he was more hurt for EW to get abandon than for himself; and betrayed for EW's mom had another kid and not bother to look for her other child.  I also think as much as JH loves JI and trust her but his self confidence never fully restore since his ex left him.

Ep 13 is the best so far for me. So many cute scenes and the moment that Jae In stood up to her sorry piece of brother in laws.  I hope we get to see how they resolve the oldest sister's story.  

I still don't get GS's dad at all. 

• Like 14

I did entertain the thought that JH ex was maybe married, but wow could not belive that she was and even have a kid with her now husband. can totally understand why it hurt JH for his son. But at the same time this give hope for JH and JI staying together. at the moment what JH need is for JI to show him with action that she would stay with him and EW for the long run. To me I think next episode gonna senter around this and JH healing from his past trauma. To me JI have showed her strong personality so I do think she gonna be there to drag JH out of his mind fog. I think it is important to show his struggle to as most of this drama have been about JI taking control over her life and happiness. Now it is time for JH to find his happiness and work true his trauma :) 

• Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

@sal2  you are right ---  i didn't even think about closing the loop between EW mom and her possibly moving on to have another family.  Its normal to feel upset upon hearing that the mother of your son is remarried and with another child...  

good point

• Like 12

"Until we die, we will remember each other!" 

This drama has some coolest quotes especially  from JH. I hope this is not forshadowing something.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Oh my LORD. In next ep. preview, is Jeong-In having doubts NOW??!! WHY--- WTF. WTH. Yea I'm confused, she was like so proactive and then 1 mention of his ex & now she reconsiders goin' back to that cocky loser Gi-Seok!!! AAAARGGGGHHHHH--------:angry::crazy:

This drama is even crazier than Something in the Rain-_-

Gi-Seok thinks he's in a competition LoL!:lol: "There has to be a winner" he said sheesh. I like how both the moms bonded... and Ji-Ho's "Are you goin' to leave us too....??" just breaks my heart.... 

Personally I much prefer Something in the Rain (yea even with all the crazy adults interfering - mostly the women) still that drama struck me more 'cause of the winning and natural chemistry between Ye-Jin & Hae-In. In here I feel like the writers tried to top by adding more angst LoL & I'm sort of not feelin' it between Ji-Ho/Jeong-In #JustSayin   

• Like 4

I think next episode has a lot of misunderstanding;

-JI thinks that JH still thinks (has feeling) of his ex.

-Jh might say something (unintentionally) that makes JI question herself.

-GS thinks JI might come back to him (maybe he knows that JI and JH had a big fight or something).

But that's just my guess.

• Like 9

Episode 14 is Excellence manifest !!!

I spent the second half of the episode in tears.  Tears of the characters, tears for humanity and no tears for myself.  THIS IS WHAT ART IS MEANT TO DO.  Art does allow you to cry for yourself.

I'm sure the preview is a richard simmons pile of misdirection.

Today episode was such a gift.  They skipped the raw and presented the subs early.

Since it is early I'm going to put most responses under spoiler eye.

Spoiler

Hugs, hugs.

Healing hugs.

Hugging is an art.

Not everyone knows how to hugs well.

Not everyone can tolerate a good hug.

I remember once during my freshman or sophomore I was melting down during college and a guy friend of mine was trying to comfort me.  He was sitting beside me on my bed and the bad patting he was doing so so awkward I had to laugh.  It didn't help me deal with my issues but it distracted me from them for a little while.

I also remember during a house gathering a upperclasswoman who I barely recognized wandered into my room and started to confess about an affair she was having with a faculty member. I barely paid attention to the details.  All I heard was the pain she was going through.  I hugged her while she unburdened herself, held her until she stop crying. At the end gave her some tissues and she was on her way.  I know she was in a better place when she left than when she entered my room.

In college I met two guy who were masters of the healing non-sexual hugs.  George and DW would hold you until the tension left your body, until the pain went away and a send of wellbeing replaced it.  Then they would back off, look you in the eye and smile. 

Watching JI and JH hug reminded how healing hugs can be.

The moment when JI went into JH arms after being lambasted by her father was so healing and confirmed how good thy are for each other.

The hugs sitting on the floor was just as heartwarming.

Jae-In

Spoiler

I remember how annoying and intrusive I found Jae-In at the beginning of this drama.  But I guess everyone has a role to play in the family.

Now I see Jae-In as the family's warrior-protector, back room negotiator, strategist, and comforter in chief.

She is the distaff family members' MVP

The way she smoothly let JI know that JH is downstairs while physically trying to keep things from escalating. 

Side note: It seems JI's father was threatening to hit her, so physical violence is not out of the realm of experience in the family. This would also explain LTH ability to overlook SH's physical abuse of SI.  [Before anyone thinks I'm pissing on cultural differences, I was raised in a culture where corporeal punishment was the norm. As I child I could tell the adults who hit because they thought that was the proper way to discipline a child, those who hit because they were angry and frustrated, and those who hit because they were bloody sadists.] 

I've gone on about JH+JI hug after JI leaving her parents home being like coming home. But another element that stood out in that scene was Young-Jae effort to give the lovers privacy. 

When I was growing up the adult as a way of constraining the children would say, "show me your company and I'll tell you who you are."  JH friends, especially Pharmacy Noona and Young Jae tells you he's quality people.  

From today's episode I wonder if EW mom also study pharmacy, or met JH through Pharmacy Noona.

At the end of the Seo-In, Jae-In, lawyer consultation the thought that flashed through my mind was please let Seo-In survive the drama. Please don't let her die from SH's abuse.

JI

Spoiler

JI, like all characters, the is result of the writer/PD/actors effort.

Although the PD and actor did and have done excellent work throughout, today I just have to give major props to the writer.  

The scene the JI confronts Kwon father and son was a amazing piece of plotting and character development.  It was a twist deserving of a thriller.  [EDIT*When JI said that the pictures were great* mistook this] When she said he shouldn't have taken the pictures and she was uncomfortable with him having them and please send all of them to her office, I knew were were in the hands of a master. 

Every character development note with JI in this episode was masterful.  The way she stood up to her father, the way she protected those pictures from her father.  Everything was glorious.

One funny moment was when JI was alone in JH's apartment it was clear that she was redecorating the apartment in her mind to accommodate her family of three. 

The Moms

Spoiler

JI's mom was so funny [not funny haha] today as she was immobilize trying to figure what to say to and do for JI and JH.

Drama substantiate my life choices: I live about 7 minutes [by car] from where I teach. It's a city but I still won't discuss anything personal, work related or anything about colleagues when I'm in the neighborhood.  I figure you never know who knows who and might be involved in what you are talking about.

The moms' scene was sublimely acted. I cried through the entire scene.  I wonder if there was ever any dialogue originally written for it.  I highly recommend you go watch these highly accomplished actors' work in I Heard it Through the Grapevine.

Opinions no one what to hear.

Spoiler

I feel so sorry for GS.  

Episode 14 made me understand why I feel such pain for him.

GS is truly damaged. His self-esteem is so low that he does not love himself.  Because he does not love himself, he cannot imagine that anyone can love him  Therefore no matter how much love is sent his way, he can't recognize it as such.  He's like someone bewitched who is sitting before a banquet, hungry, but the spell he is under makes him unable to recognize the food in front of him.  No matter how beautiful and delicious the food all he sees are rocks.

-GS had no idea how deeply he hurt JI and how finally he confirmed that they are not meant to be a couple when he summed up their relationship as not being based on love.

-That why JI was starving in their relationship.  She was sending love towards GS, love that GS didn't recognize as such.  GS not knowing what love was, not recognizing the love that was around him, was covering JI with status, thinking that was what she wanted from him.  GS thought so little of himself, he never imagined that he himself could be enough. Poor sad clueless rich boy.

-GS confab with SH was the nadir of his fall. All GS has of value to him is his pride and he has thrown it away in a battle that he cannot win. And he's made poor choices for allies Poor guy is seeking help from a person who is a greater loser than him.  GS and SH are members of the Rich, arrogant, and clueless club.

-GS doesn't get how much his father loves him.  While CEO Kwon doesn't seem capable of verbalizing his love for GS he works hard to do his love. 

-It was clear in Episode 13 when we can him agonizing over the foundation's organizational chart trying to fit JI"s Dad in so GS could get what he wanted.

-It was also apparent in this episode when he accepted the blame for the pictures being sent to JI's Dad.  

-CEO Kwon also feel responsible for GS stunted humanity. Yesterday he asked GS if he think that he, CEO Kwon, had lived a dirty life? Today in a thematic follow up, CEO Kwon tell GS not to become like him.
-It seems that as much as he love GS, and a much money as he has, CEOKwon is at a lost for how to help GS. --me too.  i feel sorry for him but don't know how to help him.

One thing I find unusual about this drama is that it deals with a single father.  We've had dramas with the damaged single mother, and the hero who rides in to rescue her from a life of poverty. 

I don't remember many drama's about single fathers.  What we usually get are rich father with a grown "outside" usually son, and the drama is about that sons struggle to find acceptance or leave the snakepit of family dynamics.

Thank you OCN for today's gift.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1