[Drama 2019] Spring Night, 봄밤

0ly40

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching without subs:

There is something that has been niggling my mind about GS; he stands and moves like a much older man.  He moves like a man of this father's generation.

JI apartment: I think this is the first kdrama I've seen with an apartment that front door opens on to a busy street.  Most living situations I see in dramas are either these sumptuous mansions or traditional or rooftop apartment off tiny winding streets.

I totally get why JH was trying to avoid introducing JI to his Noona Pharmacist boss, but NoonaP was determined to get an intro. JH shoo hand gesture and NoonaP "who is this" eye dart was so endearing. Something that we do so naturally in life can be so hard to explain to non-majors acting students. 

What was up with the set dressing for their coffee date.  Was the table cloth askew for a reason.  It was so distracting.  I have to assume it was on purpose because the camera lingered for so long. I sympathize with folk with OCD who may have watched the scene.

I think the reason JH would refuse to pay for JI's food previously was because it would indicate a dating relationship, that she was "his woman" and he didn't want to  go there unless they were there.

It was so delightful seeing them out in the light, even if it was only a brighter restaurant.  I wonder if JI didn't recognize GS former band members.  If she did, staying in that space was inconsiderate, even if she and GS were broken up, because she knew she hasn't accepted it as yet.

The preview looks as if JH's community is welcoming JI while GS is trying to marshal  JI community to his side.

Looking forwards to the subs.

4 hours ago, xXMzSmilesXx said:

Thank heavens its not Ediya Coffee; the excessive product placement for the coffee franchise haunts me! But it's working because now I want to know what it taste like! LMAO

Haha, the coffee date was at the cute cafe we've seen before. But just wait until the end of the episode, their dessert/live music date seems to be at an upscale Ediya venue - Ediya LAB.

1 hour ago, xXMzSmilesXx said:

@thistle What you want those ceramic mugs with that ugly blue capitalised Arial-like-font Ediya Coffee text. Um, not on my watch! Girl, I'll buy you a better one!

Big hugs!  The very best part of your translations are your comments.  You are so spot on, and you make me laugh so much, especially when you get outraged.  Thank you!  :star:

Yeah, that Ediya cup is pretty awful but it looks like it would be great for coffee.  :D  

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Each time GS smiles, I want to shake him because his smile is really so misplaced and fake. He acts as if nothing happened... really in denial.

Although I know actors are just doing their jobs, sometimes I think the rotten stuff has gotta come from somewhere inside for real.   This actor is too good at playing sleazy greasy evil hateful characters.  If I met him for real, I wouldn't trust a single word he said, and I wouldn't wanna share breathing space in an elevator either because he'd be the first person to push someone down the elevator shaft and claim it was the victim's fault.  I'm gonna have to start an Official Despised Actor List, and his name goes at the top!  

Oh, did I mention that I kinda hate GS?  <_<

..............editing because I forgot to say that I think the actress playing Pharmacy noona is just brilliant.  She also played Na Moo's stepmom in Come and Hug Me.  She looks much younger in this role.

After watching the preview with the subtitles, GS's comments made my blood boil out of anger. GS is now trying to act as a victim as if he had done nothing wrong towards JI. Jae In was right: the relationship really ends, when you see the ugliest part of the ex-partner. Even in the episode 9, JI tried to protect GS's reputation. She broke up because GS was not the right man for her.

As for the last part of the episode 9, I don't think that JI did anything wrong because she went to the cafe where his friends played. Fact is that GS hadn't visited them for a long time. He only went there, when he realized that JI had fallen in love with someone else hence JI didn't see them as close friends to GS. Moreover, she broke up with GS hence she doesn't need to hide anything.

GS is really mean and sneaky because he will use JI's relatives in order to put JI under pressure: first her sister LSI, then her parents. He acts as if he knows JI very well, in reality he doesn't. He still views her from their long term relationship. She used to comply to his needs and never really complained hence if he keeps pressuring her, he thinks, she will comply at the end. He just needs to push her, just like he did in the past by making her feel guilty.  

JI was right: GS has always looked down on her and he keeps doing it. He shows no respect for her feelings and thoughts. I have also noticed that he often gives orders to her:

- "Get in!"

- "Let us talk inside!"

- "Let us love each other more"

- "We should get married"

- "I will forget about it, so should you as well"

- "I said nothing will change"

- "Come to your senses"

- "Get yourself a reality check"

He thinks that his words are laws and JI has no saying. She just has to obey. Striking are the following words ("I mean, talking about making things work out over and over again could have tired me out, and I could have said, we should just call it quits") which reveal what I had written earlier. He can be the only one who breaks up, not the other way around. He won't let JI go because he can not accept that she broke up with him. His pride can not accept it. Furthermore in his mind, she chose another man who is far inferior compared to him. His words outlines that his refusal and denial have nothing to do with love. He doesn't love JI, he treats her like a possession hence he has no problem to bring trouble into JI's life. He will hurt her so that respect for him will vanish for good.   

Damn satisfying when Ji-Ho stood his ground against Gi-Seok. Boy he just walked away with his tail between his legs LoL. As expected, Gi-Seok's like every other bully who's all talk but just plain wimps when confronted. (sighs heavily) Gi-Seok is toxic yo. He's just so darn unlikable.

What's with the men UGH!??! Seo-In's ******* hubby & Gi-Seok share a brain cell they're both in over their heads. My blood's boiling right now. This is pretty prevalent in contemporary South Korea btw... There're men who have conservative views on gender roles and are misogynistic as Gi-Seok & Jeong-In's BIL. 

Er---Gi-Seok's dad thinks Jeong-In's too good for him but still want them to...work out....??!! What---the W-H-A-T. (facepalms)

Watching this last night gives me a lot of emotions( to think that i can barely understand what they are saying). That conversation between GS and JH then JI and GS. Oh my i can feel JI's pain. She is only asking for an apology for her feelings that have been long gone. And if he truly cares, she should let her go. In the car when GS called her, JI said do your best try to stop me lol. That's my girl:wub: That hug makes up for everything. JI will be the last woman for JH so i know he will shower her with so much love. Episode 9 is the best:D My sleep has been erratic because of this drama lol

This writer is going to kill me. My heart stopped at the cliffhanger.

They did everything in ep 9 what it takes other dramas 4 episodes or more. Might be watching with alcohol in hand for ep 12 tonight.

Right.

I now have to get ready for work. But oh mm gee, those 2 are recklessly brave. They know what they are doing but its not doing the viewers hearts any favours.

Good episode. Once my heart starts beating normally again. I haven't even had my morning coffee yet.

@annamchoi I am sure if this was not MBC vs tv we would or rather the actors can show ours love just as well with some better skinship.  I am confident a deep kiss followed by gazing deeply into the partner's eyes can be done by the PD. The pan away must be all MBC. Hug is good but burning with emotions Ji Ho could do more. If allowed.

2 hours ago, thistle said:

Although I know actors are just doing their jobs, sometimes I think the rotten stuff has gotta come from somewhere inside for real.   This actor is too good at playing sleazy greasy evil hateful characters.  If I met him for real, I wouldn't trust a single word he said, and I wouldn't wanna share breathing space in an elevator either because he'd be the first person to push someone down the elevator shaft and claim it was the victim's fault.  I'm gonna have to start an Official Despised Actor List, and his name goes at the top!  

Oh, did I mention that I kinda hate GS?  <_<

..............editing because I forgot to say that I think the actress playing Pharmacy noona is just brilliant.  She also played Na Moo's stepmom in Come and Hug Me.  She looks much younger in this role.

Minority opinion: I've got to say, even though I assume much of this is written is jest, as an actor ( who doesn't act much any more) and as a teacher of actors, I find this sentiment very disturbing.

It's sentiments like this that keep actors from doing their best work

Just as problematic is the real world "shipping" that insist that an actor doing their job well must be in some kind of romantic place with their costar.

Also the clamoring for deeper longer kisses.  Sometimes it all feels disrespectful of acting as a profession and actors as human beings.

NoonaPharmacist is terrific

Was anyone else screaming at the TV urging Jeong-In to not get in the car with Gi-Seok? From a safety perspective that seemed like a bad idea when you've talked about his "short fuse".

Harking back to the wardrobe discussion, I've founfd Jeong-In's clothing to be okay, sometimes one part of the outfit is a bit off but nothing offensive. Today - it was her shoes. I thought her casual outfits could have looked way nicer with sneakers, or flats of some kind. Not a fan of the chunky heal.

1 minute ago, hushhh said:

Minority opinion: I've got to say, even though I assume much of this is written is jest, as an actor ( who doesn't act much any more) and as a teacher of actors, I find this sentiment very disturbing.

Just as problematic is the real world "shipping" that insist that an actor doing their job well must be in some kind of romantic place with their costar.

Apologies for causing a disturbance in your sense of peace.  :)

Actually, I also find real-life shipping to be questionable and, without a doubt, an invasion of the actor's privacy.  Those are the sort of posts that I find unseemly and uncomfortable and quite salacious.  And I avoid some drama threads because of them. 

I respect the work of actors because they give so much of themselves in a very personal way.  However, it is true that the "real face" of some actors does come through in their roles.  I have known enough actors to be aware of this; it is not true of every actor but it is the case with some.  So when I see someone repeatedly playing the same sort of character, I question whether this is talent or reality.  It is not unreasonable to wonder.

As with when we meet people in real life, sometimes the "people" we meet in dramas can be off-putting.  For me, Kim Joon Han is one of those people.  To be fair, I also distinctly disliked Robin Williams who also gave off (as far as I was concerned) an extremely creepy air no matter what role he played and I wouldn't have wanted to be in a small space alone with him either. 

In any case, I hardly think that the dislike of one small-town non-entity like me is causing anyone to lose sleep, much less lose work--so your statement on that is just a tad unfair.

15 minutes ago, hushhh said:

Also the clamoring for deeper longer kisses.  Sometimes it all feels disrespectful of acting as a profession and actors as human beings.

The profession must bow to at least some of what the audience wants, and in this case it is not disrespect but a desire to see more realism.  Few things are more of a wet blanket than have to watch "wall kisses" in a romantic drama.

...............anyway, I'd rather discuss our drama than be called unnecessarily onto the carpet for my views.  That indeed is distracting and not nice and it is extremely far from the point.  Please do not do this again.

4 hours ago, hushhh said:

Watching without subs:

There is something that has been niggling my mind about GS; he stands and moves like a much older man.  He moves like a man of this father's generation.

JI apartment: I think this is the first kdrama I've seen with an apartment that front door opens on to a busy street.  Most living situations I see in dramas are either these sumptuous mansions or traditional or rooftop apartment off tiny winding streets.

I totally get why JH was trying to avoid introducing JI to his Noona Pharmacist boss, but NoonaP was determined to get an intro. JH shoo hand gesture and NoonaP "who is this" eye dart was so endearing. Something that we do so naturally in life can be so hard to explain to non-majors acting students. 

What was up with the set dressing for their coffee date.  Was the table cloth askew for a reason.  It was so distracting.  I have to assume it was on purpose because the camera lingered for so long. I sympathize with folk with OCD who may have watched the scene.

I think the reason JH would refuse to pay for JI's food previously was because it would indicate a dating relationship, that she was "his woman" and he didn't want to  go there unless they were there.

It was so delightful seeing them out in the light, even if it was only a brighter restaurant.  I wonder if JI didn't recognize GS former band members.  If she did, staying in that space was inconsiderate, even if she and GS were broken up, because she knew she hasn't accepted it as yet.

The preview looks as if JH's community is welcoming JI while GS is trying to marshal  JI community to his side.

Looking forwards to the subs.

I too think GS doesn't walk like a young man, but I think he may have a knee injury.  I think his real age is close to 40.  JI's apartment reminds me Jun Hee's apartment house in SITR.  When GS showed up at club where his old band was playing, I thought the friend who recognized JI might have called and tipped him off.  Maybe it was just coincidence.  I don't think she recognized them.

Why do I always get nervous when they show our couples on a date happy and enjoy themselves? 

When they zoomed in the back of a woman's head near the end, I thought it was Eun-woo's mom and readied to curse at the screen. Why can we bask in happiness for awhile? Aigooo!

@hushhh said:-

NoonaPharmacist is terrific

Right? Just 'cause the actor has a bad personality that makes him a worthy villain LoL? I just think that makes 'em just that - good actors. It takes a LOT for a person to give up all vanity & be open, vulnerable enough to immerse themselves into their roles~

I NEVER understood that either! Or maybe I'm gettin' too old for it:rolleyes: It just seem pointless tbh. If the otp manage to make (you) the viewer to be convinced by their love then their job is a success.  

THIS. Every. Single. Time:rolleyes: I get y'all probably lack some lovin' in your lives or whatever but honestly it's too much. It comes across Idk...juvenile? 

Lastly, heck yea the lady pharmacist rocks!

@sally2

More than that I was pissed that Jeong-In hasn't blocked Gi-Seok's number:crazy: Furthermore she indulged by prolonging the phone conversation more than necessary<_< The entire time I was yelling for her to Hang Up the Phone Damnit LoL. This drama is bad for my health:lol: 

Reason why JI's front place is near a busy street is because of the PPL for NH bank. Have you seen the ATM at the front. There are so many PPL's in this drama lol

JI i think will still answer GS's phone as a courtesy for him. But she already have made it clear that she is done with him. He better realize it sooner or he will just make JI hate him:)

5 hours ago, hushhh said:

On the table cloth, I was super distracted by the mustard colour, which is highly contrast to the tones that JI and JH was wearing. So during the conversation when they had mid shots, my eyes kept being drawn to the table cloth. The colour palette was the scene was aesthetically please but I'm gonna over analyse this; JH is wearing vintage baby blue, symbolising he is emerging out of his self-imposed love exile and he is ready for a new relationship; JI is in vintage green symbolising her regrowth as a person and the start of a new beginning; the mustard yellow, floral tablecloth symbolises happiness and notion that their going to walk together on a "flowery road".

Also about JH refusing to pay, I think it's just playful banter! I feel like they both reverted back to child giddiness and fun when their together! That's the best type of relationships when you can just have fun with the other. :) 

I'm excited to hear your thoughts when you watch episode 9! :wub:

1 hour ago, hushhh said:

I agree with @thistle that kissing scenes need to have a sense of realism, and further emphasis that it is highly context based. For example when it's clearly a passionate scene and all their doing is pecking the others lips, it undermines the point of the entire emotions of the scene. Have you ever watched thai slap/kiss lakorns, man their basically like korean-melodramas on steroid. They're basically like crack, you can't stop watching it. Anyways due to the highly conservative Thai society - kiss scene are reduced to either angle shots that "appears to like they're kissing" or these days just full on long scenes of front pecks.

5 hours ago, sally2 said:

Haha, the coffee date was at the cute cafe we've seen before. But just wait until the end of the episode, their dessert/live music date seems to be at an upscale Ediya venue - Ediya LAB.

I SAW THAT! They were at least trying to inconspicuous, rather than shoving the brand left, right and centre.

Finished ep 9.

• JH was so badass talking to GS. "I'm certain it won't be me" was quite powerful, so are pretty much every word he's saying after standing up.
  • GS is such a selfish richard simmons. He "overlooks" her mistake? Dude, you are already sorted out, it's no mistake, YOU are the mistake. He really thinks JI pities JH? Nothing will change? Gosh, in retrospect JH should have punched him. 
    He really doesn't understand anything, it's like he misses even the basics of how human relationships work. JI is talking against a wall, GS is so trapped in his own mindset and his world, JI needs to really shake him up. It's like he cannot accept defeat from someone who he thinks is below him.
    There is nothing to save, JI already left the relationship, she left the phone-call, she left the building so to speak, so no matter how hard you try, she is already gone. 
  • It's interesting that GS hears from two different people in a short matter of time that he looks down on people. Should make him thinking.
  • JI apology towards GS was like a stab towards the heart with the sharpest dagger you can imagine. Ouch! That was a big hit.
  • SI is pregnant? That honestly hurts a lot, I don't like where her arc is going. I wish the writers would have a better storyline for her, this will make it more complicated, especially since it's most likely that he forced himself on her. 
    She may try to raise her kid on her own, but her husband won't give in so easily even more now. Since he is violent, who knows that he will do to her and the kid. It also means a divorce is even more unlikely.
  • Hye-Jeong was so cute, she's my MVP for the episode just for her smiling and telling JI that she needs to tell her a lot about JH. :D
    Okay after the car scene, she really is the MVP of the episode.
  • Well......her love confession in the cafe was so unexpected: :D JH's facial expression was on point. He was so happy.
  • GS's ego will be his doom. He's more worried about his pride than everything else. 
  • When I see these dad scenes, I realize I really so miss my dad sometimes.
  • I simply love how JI turns around without even saying a word to Jae-In when JH sends her a message 
  • Decent first kiss (6/10),  close to perfect second kiss (9/10)

Archived