[Drama 2019] Spring Night, 봄밤

0ly40

I usually watch melo and romcoms but i love romcoms more. I shy away from other genres like suspense thriller, legal, medical, sageuk/historical dramas. The last melo that i watch which really drained all my tears lol is the most beautiful goodbye. It was a 4 episode drama only but it is worth the watch. But the last full length melo i watched is encounter. It is okay but i did not get addicted as much as this drama(there is something in that drama that i really hate lol). If done right, until the last episode, this drama might be my all time favorite melodrama. Well i have been watching mostly 3 or more times per episode, raw, with subtitle then weekend marathon. And it keeps getting better when i watch it again. Am i the only one lol

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far, my favorite 2019 melodrama is Encounter. But this has come a close 2nd already,  it depends on writernim. 

I only watched this at first to be honest because of Jung Hae In. I loved him in Prison Playbook. I lost interest watching Something in the Rain after Episode 4 but I finished all episodes because of him :D I'm also curious what made HJM accept this drama after success of Light In Your Eyes. 

So given my not so good first impressions of the writer, I was hesitant to start this drama,  I told myself I will just watch first few episodes. But now, it seems I'm hooked. 

Unless writernim will fail my expectations on succeeding episodes. :sweatingbullets:

8 hours ago, calledtoteach said:

I may be the only one, but there is nothing I like about JI's character.  Her only redeeming quality, IMO, is the way she treats the little boy.   

It must be difficult watching a drama when you don't like one 1/2 of the romantic lead.

What do you like about the story that is making you stick with it? If you are sticking with it.

I don't fully get Jung-In.  I understand her ambivalence with Gi-suk.  Sometimes the points she makes when talking to Ji-Ho are hard to follow.  I understand that she is being pulled in several direction.  Because she is less expressive than Ji-Ho she can be difficult to read.  The way she is stubborn with Ji-Ho by not choosing but wanting something that neither can choose is hard to follow.  I assume a lot is getting lost in the translation.

50 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Sorry but it sounds so negative. Actually, JI is bringing JH back to life. He used to be more lively and brave, until he had that experience with Eun Woo's mother. What caught my attention in their different conversation is the way they express themselves. Both show their hurt and even explain how they feel and how the words and actions of the other affects them. Both describe each other as selfish also but fact is, their exchange reveal that they reveal their true personality. It also illustrates the equity in their relationship, while it was never like that with GS. The latter always saw himself superior to JI and had the upper-hand in their couple. He even declared to JH that after one month, the emotions started disappearing and this shows that GS had such an impact on JI. I have always said that JI had adapted herself to GS's wishes. It was also underlined with HS's words, when he said that GS talks about marrying JI but it doesn't look like he wants to marry her.  

I think this is very insightful.  I think both JI and JH are causing eachother's previous selves to be resurrected. I do think that JI and JH are their true selves in front of each other. They don't work at performing a better self in front of each other and speak honestly to each other--even when their conversation if elliptical. JH points are easier to follow for me than JI.  Her point may be clearer to someone steeped in Korean culture.

I'm not sure why JI began dating GS.  Her explanation to her friend suggests that they never had a strong emotional or even sexual connection.  It almost seems as if she and he began dating because "why not"?

I don't think GS's dad "hate" JI.  I think he has no use for her.  GS's Dad views all relationships as utilitarian.  He sees people in terms of how he can leverage them to get ahead.  So since he does not see how JI can help him, GS, or the family he has no use for her.

GS is interesting.  I think in general he is conflict avoidant.  This is why he works at a bank instead doing music like he wanted to.  He didn't want to have conflict with his father.  I think JI is his way of taking a stand against his dad's vision for his life.  I wish at some point GS will articulate why he chose JI/ . Maybe he chose her because she is a fighter and he thought she could help him fight his dad --- or not.

57 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

As for LSI, her refusal to confide the abuse to someone points out that she has internalized SH's words who told her that if she got divorced, she would get involved in a scandal which would ruin her career. SH makes sure with these words that she connects her marriage to her career. However, LSI should realize that SH would be the target of the scandal, people would sympathize with her. 

I suspect LSI didn't tell anyone because in patriarchal societies, it doesn't matter what is done to them, it is always a woman's fault/failure when their don't work out.  No matter how crazy your husband is, you are suppose to control him and make him behave. :rage: I don't think she believes anyone will take her side.  Afterall her parents have proven to be unreliable.

@hushhh You are right that GS is trying to avoid conflict but only with his father. With JI, it is different because he always ensures that she feels guilty, that she is the bad person... he is definitely passive-aggressive. During their first conversation at the episode 5, it was clearly shown that GS was trying to blame her for not wanting the marriage, while in reality, GS is not really defending her in front of his parents. He is not firm in his decision which is outlined when he told her the same words than to his father: "I will handle it!!" Hence JI became furious, she realized his trick.

Fact is that GS is not handling anything, he always remains vague. He thought that with these words, JI would be appeased. This would have worked, if JI hadn't changed... yet JI is no longer the same. She is no longer the obedient "wife" accepting all GS's wishes. Even HS, an outsider, noticed that GS was not really desiring this marriage and he would have kept JI as his girlfriend for a long time.

What I love about the leads is that their characters always find a way to see the humor in their situation - the scene where JH is trying to explain his situation to JI but is interrupted by construction noise and at JI's apartment when her sister and his friend go buy drinks, leaving them alone - they see the complication but love that they appreciate the absurdity of it all too.

Dramabeans upload their Wed timeslot recap:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/06/one-spring-night-episodes-9-10/

One of the comments got my attention. :D

"All of these repressed feelings better explode into some truly passionate kisses later on this show, or I'll feel cheated."

i am not sure will that happen and if it did happen i am not sure my fluttering heart can take it.  Hahaha!

Oh damn, this just popped up in my mind:

Does SeoIn hold joint debts with her scumbug husband?   Because if he files for bankruptcy (let's be real, he's got no assets worth any real cash whatsoever and he's getting into MORE debt because GiSeok is gonna be stupid), SHE'LL be as good as bankrupt too! She better cut everything between them and RUN ASAP!

Gurl, you quit yo job, have yo evidence, KEEP YOUR MONEY IN YOUR OWN PERSONAL ACCOUNT, now just RUN before it is too late! Run and don't look back! Run to your parents house, hide with your sisters or plain just enjoy life in Jeju. Don't be dragged down by that ugly version of the Titanic! This is not a matter of saving face or time to be cowardly! This is a matter of saving your own life!

JI is an anti hero character, i can understand why some can't really understand or like her. She admits to be selfish, opinionated, straight forward. But i guess we have not seen the real JI yet. It seems she becomes dull, boring and not the same fearless girl her family knows because of her relationship with GS. They bring out the worst in each other it seems lol. With JH, i do think it will be the opposite. And i can't wait to see both JI and JH resurrect their old selves. And how crazy they will be in love. Why is wednesday so long to come. It is getting harder to wait.

I need these kind of gifs

I think JI moving on from GS to either be single or pursueing JH is already quite a development for her and for now that is quite enough for me, since she first have to sort herself out. She was part of a long relationship, a relationship that was based on the wrong things, she also begins to feel responsible for Eun-U and thinks about him, she kinda adapts into a new role. 

Sure her growth must continue, but so far I am really happy with her role, she remembers me a lot of the Main lead of SLA. 

JH and JI greatly improves the others life, but both are feared about the public, since both think they are flawed. That's why I think the preview already had a big scene, where JI tells JH that he will fight for him. JH needs that and visa versa.

12 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Dhakra Yes, the episodes seem to confirm that LSI's superior will be involved in her fight. He does care about her. I have the impression that LSI decided to quit in order to force her husband to divorce her. She is the one who brings the money into their household. Once she quits, SH can no longer use her job for the application of the loan. LSI has always been his cash cow. SH is narcissic and delusional. He really thinks too highly of himself. However, little by little his flaws are witnessed by others. I hope, he ends up in jail.

JI was right to say that she had other reasons why she should break up with GS. JH was the one who had her eyes opened. She realized that something was missing in her relationship, then she got aware of her boyfriend's flaws. GS says that he would break up with his girlfriend if she cheated but actually the opposite will happen in my opinion. Since GS used the word "revenge" and "bruised ego", I think, this is going to happen.

While JH met GS, he could see how GS perceives JI. He doesn't really love her.

I don't think, GS's father is warming up to JI. I had rather the impression that the chairman wanted to give him a job and in exchange, there would be no marriage between their children. The father smiled, when he asked f they had broken up. Since JI's father is stupid, he thought that the chairman was creating more ties between the two families with this job but he didn't pay attention to the chairman's words.    

Yes, I do think so now aswell. SI superior chose a few very interesting words, I think he will play a part in her storyline. 

That's an interesting reason and makes sense, SH always points out about her being a "famous newscaster", she is his punching bag and cash cow. 

I hope he will end up in jail and tastes his own medicine. LSI storyline really puts me at unease.

4 hours ago, richelle said:

I usually watch melo and romcoms but i love romcoms more. I shy away from other genres like suspense thriller, legal, medical, sageuk/historical dramas. 

Haha, funnily it's the other way around with me. I pretty much only watch melos, thrillers oder legal dramas. I don't find anything interesting in romcoms. :D 

2 hours ago, xxPeepsxx said:

Oh damn, this just popped up in my mind:

Does SeoIn hold joint debts with her scumbug husband?  Because if he files for bankruptcy (let's be real, he's got no assets worth any real cash whatsoever and he's getting into MORE debt because GiSeok is gonna be stupid), SHE'LL be as good as bankrupt too! She better cut everything between them and RUN ASAP!

Gurl, you quit yo job, have yo evidence, KEEP YOUR MONEY IN YOUR OWN PERSONAL ACCOUNT, now just RUN before it is too late! Run and don't look back! Run to your parents house, hide with your sisters or plain just enjoy life in Jeju. Don't be dragged down by that ugly version of the Titanic! This is not a matter of saving face or time to be cowardly! This is a matter of saving your own life!

Correct me if I'm wrong but the apartment is under SI name, however the it's signed with a joint/SI/SH legal seal (ambiguous because the subs says it's his legal seal but I don't know how one can sign off on something and not have their name listed as an owner)? Because SI went to see SH to get the legal seal so that she can sign off on the house, which of course that scumbag refuses to give. 

My problem with SH loaning debt is that he is going to get into more debt because GS seems like he's about to approve SH loan... all because SH said he would help convince JI to marry him. Cannot believe GS is going to jeopardise his career over a non-family member asking for an unreasonable favour. I'm all about helping people but when this helping delves into your professional life, then there has to be clear cut boundaries. 

I wouldn't compare SH and SI to an "ugly version of the Titanic" just because I hate SH character so much (props to Lee Moo-Saeng who plays him, he is really doing a stellar job) and I would not be able to compare him to Jack - the OG of self-sacrificial ML (how freaking hot was a young Leonardo DiCaprio). 

Spoiler

This is off topic (please forgive me mods :wub:) but I feel like it's necessary to appreciate one of God's gift:

tumblr_nxnldnMSwZ1t3in2oo3_500.gif

3eAx.gif

1 hour ago, Phoenix26 said:

I'm still in doubt on the character development of JI. I hope writer won't make her like SYJ's character in SITR. I want JI to always be assertive. 

Haven't watched SITR, just cuz I haven't gotten around to it. But I'm for certain of JI ability to grow as a character because she is progressing bit by bit in terms of returning to her old-vivacious-assertive self. There are glimpses that I'm seeing, and I'm gleeing over. My favourite being when she went to JH house because he didn't pick up her calls. I mean girl, wow! I think the call culture these days is different especially for people in my age bracket of their 20s maybe early 30s. No one calls each other UNLESS its super important and need to be dealt with immediately, or else a text message would suffice. I literally went on a tangent about the current call/message culture BUT I think what I'm trying to say is that JI went to JH house because she wants to see him and talk to him. Despite how confused she is with her feelings, he always puts a smile on her face. Have you noticed, whenever she is with GS she is either exasperated or annoyed.... LMAO bby girl if your man makes you feel like this constantly, just say goodbye to the relationship.

@bebebisous33 looks like my wording was incorrect:sweatingbullets:. I didn't mean it in a negative way chingu. Indeed, the more JH interacts with JI, the more he is going back to his old self and the more we viewers are seeing a new side of him which we never saw. He is starting not to pity himself anymore and is going all for it to get JI. I love what the writer is doing with his character development and I hope we continue to see his new sides.

@Phoenix26 I hope she sticks to the words she told JH in the preview:( because poor JH is going to get crushed if another woman leaves him again. I want this drama to be different and to show us how JH and JI get through the obstacles while they are together as a couple. In her previous drama, I dropped it after episode 8 and watched the last episode lol:sweat_smile::mrgreen:. I have no tolerance:sweatingbullets:. Hopefully they don't screw this up for us.

1 hour ago, xXMzSmilesXx said:

wouldn't compare SH and SI to an "ugly version of the Titanic" just because I hate SH character so much (props to Lee Moo-Saeng who plays him, he is really doing a stellar job) and I would not be able to compare him to Jack - the OG of self-sacrificial ML (how freaking hot was a young Leonardo DiCaprio). 

LMAO, no, ShiHoon is no Jack. I was just calling him the Titanic and referred to how it would drag anybody nearby into the abyss of the deep dark sea as it sank and descended into the depths of the sea after cracking into 2.

SeoIn's gotta be out of reach when his whole career and finances implode in his face.

3 hours ago, lu09 said:

@bebebisous33 looks like my wording was incorrect:sweatingbullets:. I didn't mean it in a negative way chingu. Indeed, the more JH interacts with JI, the more he is going back to his old self and the more we viewers are seeing a new side of him which we never saw. He is starting not to pity himself anymore and is going all for it to get JI. I love what the writer is doing with his character development and I hope we continue to see his new sides.

@Phoenix26 I hope she sticks to the words she told JH in the preview:( because poor JH is going to get crushed if another woman leaves him again. I want this drama to be different and to show us how JH and JI get through the obstacles while they are together as a couple. In her previous drama, I dropped it after episode 8 and watched the last episode lol:sweat_smile::mrgreen:. I have no tolerance:sweatingbullets:. Hopefully they don't screw this up for us.

Oh my god, :crazy: with my reply I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable. Seeing you like this :sweatingbullets: made me feel embarrassed, it was as if I had scolded you:D

Like @Dhakra, I am enjoying the progression of the drama. JI is taking her time but I sense that as soon as she has decided to be with JH, she will do anything for him. It was interesting that although JI told GS that she wanted to break up with him, when GS visited her flat, it looked like they had reconciled. However, we can see in GS's face that this "reconciliation" is not real. His words towards his father clearly showed that his father had missed the timing. GS has already sensed that JI has moved away from him and it can never be like before. 

I have the impression that GS's decision about the loan might be the reason why JI will resent GS even more than before because GS helped SH and increased the pressure on LSI. I can imagine that the domestic abuse could be revealed at the end of the next episode.  

Archived