[Drama 2019] Spring Night, 봄밤

0ly40

5 hours ago, INJINFAN said:

Also, imagine the car scene between GS and JI where he gives her vitamins changed to a gift of jewelry wrapped in a pretty box with the words, "I feel like I have been so busy that I have neglected you.  You know I really do love you."  If he really wants to change their dynamic, why, oh, why did he think vitamins was the answer?   He truly is clueless.

I think his life is in more mess than what will happen when JI breaks up with him. He looks like someone who will not address the dragon in the room but look for little mites to kill. Instead of having a real conversation with his girlfriend, both about their relationship and his dad, he goes and gifts her some vitamin. I hope he really finds the courage to fix things in his life through the course of this story.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, INJINFAN said:

I think another variation on "Follow your heart" is JI's sister, JaeIn's bold pursuit of anyone she is drawn to, in this case the potential civil servant.  It is hard to tell yet if he likes it or finds her too much.  Her example of leaving France because of a restraining order in her pursuit of someone else shows that following your heart can be unwelcome and taken too far.  So it is not the automatic answer to all love dilemmas.  However, because she is so in tune with her own feelings, she reads other really well, and clearly dislikes her brother-in-law, although she really doesn't know the facts.  She quickly assesses KS as assertive and proud.  Writer will use her to assess true character throughout the drama, so watch for her comments.  I think she comes on too strong and would find that unattractive, but some shy men might like it.  She will certainly be a defender for both sisters' fight for happiness.

Love what you said here.  Regarding Jae-In, I suppose she represents the youth eons ago that both Seo-In and Jung-In once were - before life happens.  I like their sisterly bond and feel that both protects Jae-In for not only out of love for her but for what she reminds them of, themselves.  Now, her character can afford to be bold, unapologetic and rather frank because she feels and holds no responsibilities toward anyone.  She's spoiled, let's admit it.  She's young, but to me that is not an excuse for drifting in life, quitting schools, living off her sisters.... spending money on a guy she hardly knows (esp when Seo-In has advised her to spend it wisely).  Yes, I love that she is one character who acts or speaks out honestly what she feels when many others, especially her sisters, unable to voice their opinions in turn internalizing their unhappiness.  Jae-In is lucky to be able to witness her sisters' mistake to avoid making them hers.  Her life is carefree is because others protected her.  We cannot deny that she is impulsive when it comes to love, opposite of Jae-In's self sacrifice and Jung-In's measured actions.  I'm sure she will get into trouble in her own ways too.  She initially finds Ji-Ho attractive before moving onto his friend.  She seems to be in love with the idea of love and boyfriend more than the person.  I was quite surprised that she made her moves on him so quickly.  He seems like a simple ordinary low key guy whose personality seems totally different than her passionate one.  I have no idea what is it about him that she loves.  At least, we are not shown it clearly - feels like she falls in and out of love in a heartbeat.  Unlike her sisters whose love lives are complicated, Jae-In is impulsive and passionate, just like her character.  

I found the pharmacy owner's advice for Ji-Ho to not move back to live with his parents really poignant.  She said the moment he resigned his life to come back, he would lose his own identity and be regarded as someone's son.  There's this concern that his parents will be inputing their ideas into his life if he lives with them.  As their only son, I know the guilt Ji Ho has, this obligation to take care of our aging parents while living our own lives.  In Ji-Ho's case, he is even more indebted to them for taking care of little Eun-Woo.  So I really love that not soon after, we get a scene of the father and son drinking session where his father assured him that he is more than willing to help out and that Ji-Ho doesn't have to visit all the time.  And we get the scene ends with Ji-Ho voicing out the same parental love for his own child, saying that he will always take care of Eun-Woo no matter what.  I love how parent and child effectively conveyed their support and love for one another.  It's a stark contrast to the controlling relationship Gi Seok's dad dolled out for his own son.  In fact, there are three different kinds of fatherhood in this drama - Giseok's, Ji-Ho's and Jung-In's.  All different parental love on display with Ji-Ho's parents the most nonjudgmental and supportive.

The sisters each face their own battle against fitting into the molds made by society and their own father.  Seo-In is successful on her own term as a news anchor yet still has her identity tied to her husband.  Seeking a divorce based on domestic abuse brings fears of creating a public case that will harm her professional career and image. By the end of episode 4, we know that their wealth is only a facade as their income couldn't cover his expense and lifestyle.   Then there is this taboo on divorcee that mirrors Ji-Ho's single fatherhood.  I think is something Seo-In worries for her family reputation as well as her own. Hindsight,  Seo-In would probably be in a better position if she is not married, contrary to her father and the society's expectations. I really like her character so I am rooting for her to be strong, to take the leap of breaking free for herself knowing the risk to her career.    Hers is a case that love, respect, honesty matter in a relationship where nothing even a fancy home can compensate.

a long term relationship doesnt guarantee that it will lead to forever..and sometimes when you least expect it someone will come and makes your heart flutter.

Marriage is a life long commitment thats involves love, faith and trust between the couple.

and I dont see sparks anymore in the relationship of JI and GS..it has been long gone..so I dont see any marriage happening for these two.

break up is invetible when both are unhappy.why continue to be in a relationship that has already died? and you are accepted in the family..

I wonder what is that thing that really trigger JI to break up wirh GS, besides the existence of JH..and made her feel that GS'  parents dislikes her..

In every relationship, there will always be ending and a new beginning

For JH and JI with them being together,  we all know there will be complications, problems along the way .  

I only hope that both will surpass whatever trials, they may face Love, faith trust will be the keys for them to overcome such hurdles.

looking to next week's episodes!

Cant wait to see JI following her heart and her happiness! 

Library BTS

Honestly, I doubt that GS and JI used to be a lovey-dovey couple right from the start because if so, JI would have recognized these feelings she started having for JH. For me, JH represents her real first love. GS had a negative influence on JI because she became "boring". She adapted herself to him and his life style which explains why she was so in tune with him. But everything evolved around GS and his life.

We heard right from the start from her colleague that GS and JI were never passionate, behaving like an old couple. In my opinion, deep love didn't really exist in this couple, GS must have admired JI for her frankness and honesty because she hates lies which GS knows. However, GS is the exact opposite from her in that matter. He is manipulative and he lies too. He never mentioned that his father wanted him to break up or to arrange a marriage between him and the daughter Jang. GS was never honest in reality. He lies to his "friends" saying that he is getting married because he knows that his father won't approve. Furthermore, JI and GS never really agreed. When he proposed, she refused and when she proposed herself, he refuses it too. Both rejected the proposal because of the way it was made: too casual. By saying that he will get married, he creates a false image of the couple. Once she breaks up with him, JH and JI's reputation will be tarnished: they are the bad guys. However, he never really rejected his father's offer. He even told his father, he won't break up with her right away... he gave the impression that he won't marry her accepting his father's opposition.                      

I am convinced that GS knows about the attraction between JH and JI, as there were too many coincidences. Yet, the director and writer did a wonderful job by not showing any scene indicating it. That way, GS doesn't seem to be a bad guy, unlike SH. Nonetheless, the writer is intelligent to create such an ambiguous character because humans are usually like that. It is not easy to judge people in general.

For some reason I am more nervous about Seo-In and her marriage, relationship. The scene in the parking lot was so small, but already so dangerous and horrible. Who knows that he would have done to her.

Seo-In is such a great woman, she must have struggled a lot in her marriage. She and her sisters know that their father pretty much wasted her, she will need a lot of strength to go through the divorce.

But now that we know that her husband doesn't stop before anything, even fraud or violence, she is in a lot of danger. 

Her "case" concers me more than the actual OTP, because at the end of the day, JI and GS just go through a change of heart, leaving a relationship and find a new love. Yes, they will struggle and there will be a lot of pain and bad blood involved, but GS doesn't seem like the person who would hurt JI physically. JI also isn't a pushover, in every possible situation she confronted GS, talked back and defended her position. GS surely will try to do his tricks on her,  but I think he will have a hard time. 

@bedifferentI loved your (first) analysis, especially about GS and his pov about the relationship.

KS has the relationship he wants with JI; he just wants it to be more convenient for him, since his work has gotten busier. That's why he wants to get married or live together.   His dad says the same thing, but not about JI; he wants him to get married so his wife can be supportive of his career.  JI is finally realizing she wants something more, but it will be up to her to speak up for herself.  KS is comfortable with the way it is and even if he tries to please her for awhile, he will fall back into his default comfort level if they get married.  JI only has unhappy marriages to observe:: SI and husband and her mother and father.  No wonder she is in no hurry to give up her independence.  Only JH's parents seem happy.

Understand @bebebisous33's opinions of Gi Seok.  This drama reminds me much of On The Way to the Airport, a drama which I liked but wished the resolution of Shin Sun Rok's character more satisfactory.  Coupled with the fact that I just finished Beautiful World so I am cautiously optimistic in humanity to give Gi Seok a pass at this point until the full reveal of his character. :lol:  He has the potential and capable of becoming his father's son... what's the fun in that huh? Too bleak for me.  A better arc for his character would be a man willing to turn away from what others expectation of him given his background and personality to change for the better by the end of the drama.  Yes, he chose to stay in a comfortable relationship where he has the upper hand in social status and wealth, where he doesn't have to deal with demanding in laws or wife... a non clingy working girlfriend who gives him freedom to have his own social life outside of their relationship.  She gives him space. What's lacking, what we see as a dull relationship, is also what Gi Seok desires... peace from the expectations placed on him by his job and father.  Sure, his actions are ambiguous since we only see from one viewpoint in the relationship, his.  I hope the drama switches stance to show JI's side soon to give us the full picture of their relationship history.  

I don't know if GS ever believes he is truly loved and liked.  Whether he would have the same friends if he was not the son of the man who owns the basketball gym.  He knows that his family's wealth attract others, it's an advantage and insecurities GS hates and loves at the same time.  For now, he revels and manipulates that power.  For a person who has never experience real love, it's not a surprise that he doesn't know how to manage relationships.

What I want is to see a good break up between GS and JI.  Why not?  Of all the things we think are GS' reasons for his relationship, I believe Jung-In can help him be honest and brave to his true feelings.  Admitting that their relationship does not work is a courageous and most mature decision for GS to make.  Cuz that means he takes into consideration someone's else happiness and feelings... it's hard for someone who really doesn't have any parental love and support to learn to display.  It shows that he is capable of love, generosity, selflessness... those qualities that his father doesn't believe in.  What better way to show it to his dad and I can't think of any better person to help him coming to this realization than JI.  It's the best present they can give each other, not vitamins.

7 hours ago, Dhakra said:

For some reason I am more nervous about Seo-In and her marriage, relationship. The scene in the parking lot was so small, but already so dangerous and horrible. Who knows that he would have done to her.

Seo-In is such a great woman, she must have struggled a lot in her marriage. She and her sisters know that their father pretty much wasted her, she will need a lot of strength to go through the divorce.

But now that we know that her husband doesn't stop before anything, even fraud or violence, she is in a lot of danger. 

Her "case" concers me more than the actual OTP, because at the end of the day, JI and GS just go through a change of heart, leaving a relationship and find a new love. Yes, they will struggle and there will be a lot of pain and bad blood involved, but GS doesn't seem like the person who would hurt JI physically. JI also isn't a pushover, in every possible situation she confronted GS, talked back and defended her position. GS surely will try to do his tricks on her,  but I think he will have a hard time. 

Me too, she is alone in life and in that great big apartment of hers.  I wish she confides more in her sisters of her marriage, what her husband is truly like, her financial woes... It's hard being in a public position. I think she actually has the platform and more power on her side to deal with this husband of hers.  Why not use her newscaster position to fight for domestic abuse? The best defense for Seo-In against her husband is the truth.  It's not only the case of he said she said.. it's a mental battle against the burdens she shoulders for her family and her career.  You know what can empower her against him?  Taking kick boxing lessons!

I agree about concern for SI.  It is imperative that she confide in someone: mother, sisters, friend, colleague and show them her proof.  Maybe give the proof to someone for safe keeping.  Her husband is going to find those pictures in the safe, and if he does, then, what does she have?   I am so anxious for her. Be smart, girl.

29 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Understand @bebebisous33's opinions of Gi Seok.  This drama reminds me much of On The Way to the Airport, a drama which I liked but wished the resolution of Shin Sun Rok's character more satisfactory.  Coupled with the fact that I just finished Beautiful World so I am cautiously optimistic in humanity to give Gi Seok a pass at this point until the full reveal of his character. :lol:  He has the potential and capable of becoming his father's son... what's the fun in that huh? Too bleak for me.  A better arc for his character would be a man willing to turn away from what others expectation of him given his background and personality to change for the better by the end of the drama.  Yes, he chose to stay in a comfortable relationship where he has the upper hand in social status and wealth, where he doesn't have to deal with demanding in laws or wife... a non clingy working girlfriend who gives him freedom to have his own social life outside of their relationship.  She gives him space. What's lacking, what we see as a dull relationship, is also what Gi Seok desires... peace from the expectations placed on him by his job and father.  Sure, his actions are ambiguous since we only see from one viewpoint in the relationship, his.  I hope the drama switches stance to show JI's side soon to give us the full picture of their relationship history.  

I don't know if GS ever believes he is truly loved and liked.  Whether he would have the same friends if he was not the son of the man who owns the basketball gym.  He knows that his family's wealth attract others, it's an advantage and insecurities GS hates and loves at the same time.  For now, he revels and manipulates that power.  For a person who has never experience real love, it's not a surprise that he doesn't know how to manage relationships.

What I want is to see a good break up between GS and JI.  Why not?  Of all the things we think are GS' reasons for his relationship, I believe Jung-In can help him be honest and brave to his true feelings.  Admitting that their relationship does not work is a courageous and most mature decision for GS to make.  Cuz that means he takes into consideration someone's else happiness and feelings... it's hard for someone who really doesn't have any parental love and support to learn to display.  It shows that he is capable of love, generosity, selflessness... those qualities that his father doesn't believe in.  What better way to show it to his dad and I can't think of any better person to help him coming to this realization than JI.  It's the best present they can give each other, not vitamins.

Me too, she is alone in life and in that great big apartment of hers.  I wish she confides more in her sisters of her marriage, what her husband is truly like, her financial woes... It's hard being in a public position. I think she actually has the platform and more power on her side to deal with this husband of hers.  Why not use her newscaster position to fight for domestic abuse? The best defense for Seo-In against her husband is the truth.  It's not only the case of he said she said.. it's a mental battle against the burdens she shoulders for her family and her career.  You know what can empower her against him?  Taking kick boxing lessons!

So far, GS hasn't been presented as a bad man because unlike his father, he doesn't really look down on others. He likes playing basketball with his alumni which indicates that he is much more open-minded than his father who wants to move among the same social circle. We can see that GS is not arrogant. To me, GS is definitely flawed but this was not really visible, only if you analyzed his behavior and words.

That's why we need to see the darker side of GS. People are blaming JI for her lies but forget that GS is not different. Even if he behaves more and more like his father, I believe that at some point GS will realize his own shortcomings and that he needs to make a strong stand against his father. Actually, I would like to see his father to get scammed by the assemblyman Jang with the marriage of convenience. 

On the other hand, I agree with your analysis about Jae In. She is too spoiled in my opinion because after her return, she didn't even try to fix her situation. She just hides from her family and lives off her sister JI and later SI. She is not really looking for a job, even relies on her sister SI. She has no real goal in life... she is just obsessed with love and boyfriend. She is immature that's why JI acts like her mother. But the truth is that JI needs to learn to live on her own, she relies too much on her sisters and even her mother. Yet, she is pretty accurate when it comes to judge people. She dislikes SH and she is right, this man is definitely a jerk. by the way, I have been wondering if SH's family let him marry LSI because his family knew that SH was the black sheep of the family and LSI didn't belong to a strong and powerful family.  

3 hours ago, bedifferent said:

You don't have to underestimate fear, although she wants a divorce, she knows her husband is not afraid to use violence and might even kill her. She also knows that her husband, or his father, are very powerful people, who also can probably control the public opinion.

Seo-In is very cautious, also a reason why she only told one person about her plan to get divorced. 

After all she is a victim of domestic violence and these people are afraid of realizing that.

Remember the scene where she said her bones hurt, but instead of telling why, she used an excuse.

I agree that she should tell her mother and her younger sister, but I think her younger sister is very impulsive and since she already hates Seo-In husband, she would do something stupid and do more damage. 

It is true that the truth is her biggest ally, but fighting alone is a very hard fight without allies, it would also damage her clean reputation. Yes, she has a folder where she documented every bruise, but for people with enough power it is easy to defuse something like that.

Seo-In has to carefully plan every step, she needs allies fast and that's what concerns me. My SLS is totally active here. 

Well, yeah......then we should probably ask if Mr.Miyagi is nearby.....

and btw. ya, fav doc, I'm sick, can you give me some crazy mixture of hardcore medicine aka pills that get me back on track? All this sneezing is killing me.

And I scare the crap out of cat every time. 

I hope that GS is intelligent enough not to approve the loan of SH. But his hoobae already has warned him, and he is intelligent enough, he would sense that GS is only using him to get the loan. Getting a loan will which cause problems eventually will make it so tangled when it comes to JI. Right now, the only connection JI has with GS is there long time relationship, but i feel like once GS wants JI back, he will use all the connection that he has. He will not let JI go that easily. Especially once he learns that a single father is the one JI is falling in love too. This drama has more conflicts which i hope will fill the 16 episodes unlike the previous drama of both the writer and PD which the storyline is too thin so the 2nd half has been a mess. I am really hoping the writer has learned her lesson well:)

What i like about these 2 is their eyes. When their eyes meet, fireworks everywhere lol. I don't know how can i handle it once they really fall in love without GS in the picture:wub:

One more:wub:

Wednesday is still far away, so I ended up rewatch their V Live. Their chemistry is so on point, I can't help squealing because of these two :wub: and there's something interesting about JI from this snippet

Here, the MC gave them a role play what their answers would be (as JI/JH character) from the given text message

(chatroom) Jiho: are you sleeping?

MC: so what's JI answer gonna be?

Jeongin: I'm dreaming about Yoo Jiho :D:D

MC: omo omo omo *squealing* (and ofc me too lmao)

JH: *shimkung*

lol HJM explained that originally JI likes to throw some jokes, it may not seen yet on the drama now, but JI is supposed to be like that (wait, is it consider as mild spoiler, no?). Huhu I wanna see the bright and bubbly sides of JI ><

Archived