[Drama 2019] Spring Night, 봄밤

0ly40

1 hour ago, Real_noona said:

I thought JH's friends were supportive of him when he confessed about JI though they are a little worried about the complicated situation. Even though that bank worker friend is a bit of a gossip, I hope JH's friends will stand by him.

I am in love with the moms in this episode. @greezlybee I also cried with the moms today. 

The highlight for me however was the honest conversation our leads manage to have and smile at the end of it. These conversations have helped them take their relationship in new places Everytime.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

And that's why her relationship with GS was doomed from the start. Like she said to GS's father, they started dating without thinking about the future. From their words, it becomes clear that JI had never thought about what kind of boyfriend and husband she wanted. She had no expectation from the start hence G could take advantage of her. After meeting JH, she not only realized what her relationship was missing, she also got aware about GS's flaws (he doesn't respect her, he is passive-aggressive, mean) and she realized what she needed. 

With JH, JI behaves differently. She is not submissive. She wants to show her true personality, not hide her feelings and her thoughts. She is even willing to admit her flaws so that she ensures that JH can see for whom she is: if he still likes her, then it means that he accepts her with her strengths and flaws. 

JI has already in her mind that if she decides to be with JH, then it means that this relationship will have a marriage as goal. She definitely told JH that she wanted to find what kind of boyfriend and husband she wanted... since she mentioned marriage, this means that marriage is not something she dislikes.

Both are honest with each other and JH is not passive-aggressive. Both admit their mistakes, while it took GS a while, until he admitted that he needed to change. He only did it after being cornered. He knew that if he didn't, then JI would definitely dump him. Moreover, JH is different from GS because he lets JI have the upper-hand in their relationship. He will wait for her, he lets her make the decision hence he never yells at JI.

As for the friends, they seem to accept it first. Yet, in the preview, they say as if JH was stealing JI from GS. Their remark bother me a lot, it was as if JI was an object. No, JH didn't steal JI from GS as JI never belonged to GS. Yes, she was his girlfriend but if he had been more committed to this relationship, then JI's heart wouldn't have fluttered. GS took her for granted and even abused his position to emotionally abuse her: the constant threads of breaking up was a huge sign. JI allowed him to trample on her. And now, JI has decided not to accept such a behavior any longer.

Since JI made it clear to the father that she won't marry GS, the latter can no longer hide it from his father. It was a great move from JI because if he had been there, he would have pressured her to hide it. GS is a little manipulative.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting subplot idea....Now that potential civil servant is backing off Jae In, what if the other banker friend. HU (?), tried to officially date Jae In?  He has left all sorts of foreshadowing that he is desperate to meet girls, he wishes he had a girlfriend who had him on a leash, he called both sisters gorgeous, and seemed offended that Jae In asked him where he worked and didn't remember that he had already told her he worked at the bank.  Interesting if he actually pursued her, potential civil servant might get jealous and realize he has feelings for her, and Jae In would finally have the attention she craves. I think she would pick the potential civil servant (PCS), even though her parents would prefer the other based on his resume.  She became starry eyed about him at the karaoke place when she heard his beautiful, romantic voice.  He is shorter and not as good looking, but she seems to truly like him and I think he is genuinely a responsible nice guy.  The only hitch to this fantasy is that HU demanded that JH and PCS stay away from both sisters to avoid KS's (his boss) wrath.  This could change once JI and KS really break up and KS shouldn't really care who Jae In dates.

SO GLAD the Mom told the jerk SIL to shove it 'cause I was so sure she was goin' to ask the eldest daughter to beg for mercy & rethink their marriage. As it is always the case in many many MANY K-Dramas..:rolleyes::P

The women in Jeong-In's household are a force to be reckoned with!:w00t: Although I'm not comfortable with the way Jae-In is behaving..<_< like so what if she's lived abroad!? Does that give her license to be an immature, brash, spoiled brat? I think not:angry: I do love her spunk when she told off Young-Jae that she'd kill him if he failed his exams! Hell hath no fury indeed:w00t: Like why is she bothered anyways LoL? Didn't she like Jeong-In tell the men they wanted to keep things platonic!? Ugh.:P Not cool. 

And Jeong-In ah you're not ready to be in another relationship but you've called dibs on the pharmacist WoW.

Sure....when your woman tells you she wants out of the relationship, only then you pop the question LMFAo!! Aigoo~ Gi-Seok ah~ geez what's with everyone in this drama LoL. Then Jeong-In's work colleague was pretty presumptuous to think Eun-Woo was Ji-Ho's nephew:P or that he was there to see Jeong-In. I don't think there's passion between Gi-Seok/Jeong-In but I don't see compatibility with her & Ji-Ho either! I mean sure he's a hottie but what else though?   

Ep 7 (13/14), subs were early today. :D 

• The spot in the park is probably one of the most romantic spots I have ever seen. It's so quiet and peaceful, it reminds me of the spot of Weightlifting Fairy, where JH "explained" his love to BJ.
  • Guys in love or being interested in a girl are always feared to take risks or be brave. We really are losers sometimes. Feeling @Sejabin's punishing gazes here. 
  • Is GS really saying something about JH and his friend staying at JI's house? How can he be so jealous, but treat her like that? And what's suddenly about his talk about JH being no threat, since he's a single dad?
  • That was one damn good confession by JH, I like it. He told his feelings towards JI, good boy. 
  • It's time for the first kiss. I am ready for it. And please no time skip.
  • I'm honestly so glad that JH is honest to his friends and talks openly about it without letting anything out. I also love how his friends react and don't make a fuss, but rather talk about it calmly and don't make any accusations or try to talk him out of it. That is real friendship there. Sometimes friendship among guys is superb. 
  • It's so creepy if you watch someone eat. If someone would watch me eat......wouldn't end well I guess. :D 
  • Somehow I wanted SI to tell her mom about her problems with her husband, but.....honestly I liked it that she witnessed his behaviour, his status and his overall appearance first hand. Mom was always very brave and stood up if necessary, and she is so quick witted, she realized the situation right away and stepped in, defending SI. What she did was great and she executed it perfectly. It seems SI got her second ally. Her words were so powerful, by just mentioning that she will make sure that they will get a divorce, you could see that had quite an impact on him. That blow was crushing. Mom is the real MVP in this drama. :D 
  • SI almost crying, with tears in her eye, reading that her mom loves her and is one her side was probably the most beautiful moment in this drama. She totally found a new ally.
    As much as I like the main-story line, I am honestly more interested and curious how her story ends, maybe I'm a bit in love with her, due to my protective instincts and good old fashioned SLS, but she is having real problems and every step that goes into the direction makes me happy. These moments are like a ray of light that help her. 
  • This drama will set a new record for almost break-ups. It's getting tired.
  • Somehow just seeing GS at the jewelry store triggers me, must be his answer to every problem. Diamonds solve everything.
  • Last scene was kinda expected, it was somehow obvious that JI does something like this. 

Episode tomorrow will hopefully be the starting point for war. It looks promising based on the preview. It seems GS lost it and JI finally broke up. 

Although other folks liked JI's meeting with GS-dad, I really did not.  There were some undercurrents there, and it was obvious (well it's seemed so to me) that he resented that JI called him out on his own and that he thought she was rude to do so.  In fact, he said as much to JI-dad, even though he put it in a subtle way.  I found GS-dad to be rather threatening.

And can we talk about the mirror in that restaurant where JI and GS-dad went?  It was lovely but it was also very sado and it looked like a barred cage.  I thought that it was really forbidding and that it was sort of like a clue because the PD made sure to place it so prominently in the scene.  But I've been accused of over-analyzing before so you might not wanna listen to me!  <_< :P

I also thought that it was really interesting that GS goes to buy a ring only when he has been told the relationship is off.  That's not what a reasonable person does.  It's an attempt to control--like forcing a ring on JI is gonna put a fence around her.  I really hope that she's strong enough not to be pushed into a corner if GS starts plotting evil things.

Like others, one of my favorite things was the moms!  After the horrible mom situation in Something In the Rain, I was really hoping that the writer wouldn't walk that rocky road again and it looks like she isn't.  I'm so glad.

My big worry:  Eun-U.  He's the vulnerable one here, and his immediate affection for JI is the one thing that could cause a break between JI and JH because if anything happens that makes JI disappoint EU, it's gonna lead to the worst anger on JH's part.....but that's me guessing ahead again. 

Lastly, the music.  Why have I never heard of Rachael Yamagata before?  She's amazing.

It's a fantastic episode. I am going to rewatch a little later. 

I love how subtle and romantic our OTP's moments at the park, the hug, the restaurant.  All innocent and squeal worthy. Our OTP is just so honest with their feelings.  Hopefully, this open communications would emain strong until the end.

I think Gi-Seok is starting to connect the dots. The poor guy is too stubborn to break-up.  Their moments together were so uncomfortable, especially the car scene.

10 minutes ago, thistle said:

Lastly, the music.  Why have I never heard of Rachael Yamagata before?  She's amazing.

I feel you. I was also wondering why I never heard of her before, but then I found it she is quite successful. I watched quite a lot of live performances on YouTube of her.

I really hope there will be a physical copy of the OST. 

12 minutes ago, thistle said:

There were some undercurrents there, and it was obvious (well it's seemed so to me) that he resented that JI called him out on his own and that he thought she was rude to do so.  In fact, he said as much to JI-dad, even though he put it in a subtle way.  I found GS-dad to be rather threatening.

He totally is threatening and he is always surrounded by such a shady aura. You can never feel comfortable around him. 

But I think he was rather surprised that someone is so brave and goes heads up against him. Even JI's dad is always very obliging and rather avoids contact. I guess he is used to people being intimidated by him and try to not cross his path too often. 

Even his own son is very careful and although he doesn't follow his dads path, he doesn't dare to talk back. 

So I guess it was very surprising to him that someone is bold enough to directly contact him, especially since he sees himself in a higher position, that also doesn't approve or think high of her. 

That actually might turn the tides for him and he could create an interest in her, since that is something that probably is missing in his family. So this could maybe bite JI in the end. 

Epidose 7 was lovely. 

It feels like the calm before the storm.

Every time JI and JH were out in public together, I found myself acting as look out, as if I could do anything if GS showed up.:lol:

I think I really got to see who Mom was in this episode--and she is terrific!

Let's hear it for Mom.

Mom's the champion you want in your corner.

giphy.gif

I agree with you, Dhakra,  I think her directness made him like her.  He was impressed with her and now may want to help son hold onto her.  She is much smarter and braver than her father.  She did a great job of boxing him in on her father's job offer, commending him for not tying it to personal considerations, but on merit. You can see why KS picked her; she probably would have stood up to his father for him, if he hadn't already lost her.  When Dad thinks about it though, he probably will not want a daughter-in-law helping his son rebel against him.  Surprised, but no.

GS said that he is interested in knowing who the woman JH is seeing. He even said that in a laugh lol. Once he learns about it tonight that it was JI, as JH's friends said, he'll lost it. It will be war. Tonight' episode was just so good especially seeing their mom stand againts SH. Saranghanda, that brought tears to my eyes:tears:

It will be you, me and EU againts the world. Their love should be strong enough to weather all the storms coming their way. It will not be easy.

7 hours ago, thistle said:

And can we talk about the mirror in that restaurant where JI and GS-dad went?  It was lovely but it was also very sado and it looked like a barred cage.  I thought that it was really forbidding and that it was sort of like a clue because the PD made sure to place it so prominently in the scene.  But I've been accused of over-analyzing before so you might not wanna listen to me!  <_< :P

I also thought that it was really interesting that GS goes to buy a ring only when he has been told the relationship is off.  That's not what a reasonable person does.  It's an attempt to control--like forcing a ring on JI is gonna put a fence around her.  I really hope that she's strong enough not to be pushed into a corner if GS starts plotting evil things.

My big worry:  Eun-U.  He's the vulnerable one here, and his immediate affection for JI is the one thing that could cause a break between JI and JH because if anything happens that makes JI disappoint EU, it's gonna lead to the worst anger on JH's part.....but that's me guessing ahead again. 

LOL good observation at the restaurant, I completely missed that. I went back and looked at the scene after you said that and I agree. It look like a barred cage scene. Kind of like a prison with all those cool tones and the reds. You can say it's like a torture chamber. Which technically is because JI does not want to be there. GS dad doesn't want to be there either. LMAO the only person who wants to be there is bloody GS who is shopping for he ring. My eyes rolled so hard when I saw those montage scenes, he is sooo infuriating. 

Also note the juxtaposition between JI/JH dinner scene and GS dad/JH. 

The former has a lot of warm tones, JI is wearing lighter and she's wearing a funky scarf to add a touch of lightheartedness. BTW I hated her outfit, trying to be retro but looking frumpy instead.

Keep over-analysing girl! I do it too all the time because I'm an English minor in uni, and I do a lot of essays where I have analyse of film/novels. 

Our baby EW, :wub: He deserves the whole world, all kids do. I just want to mother him and protect him from the bloody discrimination he's gonna get because the doesn't have a mother. You know the conversation between JI and he friend, I have an inkling it's about JH having a son.

Spoiler

JI: What if... you were about to do something that might make everyone turn your back on you? What would you do? Move forward or give up?

JI Friend: The choice will vary depending on what it exactly is. However, something that is frowned upon by everyone can't be right. It means that it's a reckless decision. 

Is it the pharmacist?

JI: No.

JI Friend: Why not? Is there an issue with him?

JI: Of course not.

JI Friend: Does he... have a girlfriend?

*JI scoffs at her friend*

Then what could be the issue?

JI: I'm the one with the issue.  

Also in the preview JI is giving EW a hug, I feel like EW got scared because he couldn't find JH who was walking around. I'm waiting for more E/JI/JH scene! You can just see how much he melts when he sees JI and EW together.

Wishing.....this doesn't exactly have a lot to do with today's episode but I'll share anyway.

What is it about running water?  I always have my best ideas either in the shower or washing the dishes.  Just now it was the latter.  And here's what I was thinking while I was scrubbing pots and pans:  I would really, really like it if writer-nim does something that I do NOT believe could happen. 

I do not like GS, and I do not trust him.  Typical drama trope:  vengeful evil ex-boyfriend.  Wouldn't it be interesting if writer-nim put a new twist on the old trope and somehow made GS a salvageable character?  Now I do Not want him back with JI; absolutely not.  But what if, just what if, he somehow ended up being a hero in the end?

This is a huge leap.  I can't stand either the character or the actor.  Yes, Kim Joon Han is talented but he's much too talented at playing hateful people; I'd like to see if he has more acting chops than that or if he is only a one-note actor  And since our writer Kim Eun* has been showing us a different canvas that the one she painted in Something In the Rain, I'd like to see what more she can do.  She's also super-talented, and I would love it if she surprised us.

.....interesting:  Writer Kim Eun.  Eun-U.  I wonder why she shared her name with the little boy character.  Somebody who knows Korean, please tell me what Eun means!  

Okay, I've just batted the baseball way out into left field.  Stepping back from the plate now.

Thanks for indulging my silly ideas.

11 minutes ago, thistle said:

Wishing.....this doesn't exactly have a lot to do with today's episode but I'll share anyway.

What is it about running water?  I always have my best ideas either in the shower or washing the dishes.  Just now it was the latter.  And here's what I was thinking while I was scrubbing pots and pans:  I would really, really like it if writer-nim does something that I do NOT believe could happen. 

I do not like GS, and I do not trust him.  Typical drama trope:  vengeful evil ex-boyfriend.  Wouldn't it be interesting if writer-nim put a new twist on the old trope and somehow made GS a salvageable character?  Now I do Not want him back with JI; absolutely not.  But what if, just what if, he somehow ended up being a hero in the end?

LMAO, I agree with you about running water and basically monotonous actions. Since we are doing things that "soothes" us in a way, our brain relaxes and sometimes we just have deep thoughts.

It would be interesting to make GS a "salvageable character", there is still time for that to happen BUT man he is so annoying to watch on screen. It's like he has a mental block when it comes to breaking up with JI, like he can keep saying it to her BUT when she says it to him - he's in disbelief. And some of the things that come out of his mouth, it's shocking. But if writer-nim can salvage his character in a way where he also has character development & apologises to JI about his actions, then that would be good.

11 minutes ago, thistle said:

.....interesting:  Writer Kim Eun.  Eun-U.  I wonder why she shared her name with the little boy character.  Somebody who knows Korean, please tell me what Eun means!  

Girl, Doctor Google has all your answers cr: Behind the Name

From Sino-Korean 恩 (eun) meaning "kindness, mercy, charity" or 銀 (eun) meaning "silver, money", as well as other hanja characters which are pronounced in the same way. It usually occurs in combination with another character, though it is sometimes used as a stand-alone name.

Before JI has any concrete feelings for JH, she is already very clear to her dad that she is not marrying GS.  Now she also admitted to GS dad that they started dating without much thoughts for their future.

She admitted she yearn for the kind of relationship @xXMzSmilesXx has recapped:

A relationship that I'm not the only passionate one and the kind of love where I don't get hurt.

But she does not know how to like she said. I think she started her relationship because she is attracted by the good person vibes of GS... but when they continue, she gotten hurt along the way.  She mentioned before they are nevwr lovey dovey in the beginning.

My thought for last night episode.

Thumb up for moms! I love how mom reaction to their child problems. I'm very happy her mom finally know she was getting divorce to his unpolite husband. And i love hiw her mom find out just from the gesture how he ringing the bell unpatientlly and how he talk to her daugther, and i like it ended by her mom texting her, i feel touch. Getting her mom support is what she need. I'm glad she have mom like that. 

And i'm also happy with JH friends reaction after finding out the truth who JH like is. In that short of scene, i get a feeling -- ah, they've been his friends for years...so they know each personality -- i'm happy that his friend, probably not agree with the situation...but i'm glad they don't blame him after they know, JH and JI know each other before JH know JI is GS girlfriend. And what i love how JH tell honestly to his friend, you can not lie to your best friends, right? That confession to his friend are sign, how close the 3 of them are. OMG...this drama is so good. I'm itching in every episode. Thankfullness that sub come of really fast..wow...just wow. 

And lastly. I'm still not get the meaning between JH and JI conversation...i don't find it right...but i don't now why. But i love what JI said on phone while she walk behind him. I think that what JH need, and that hug is in right moment and for right reason :wub:

29 minutes ago, xXMzSmilesXx said:

Also note the juxtaposition between JI/JH dinner scene and GS dad/JH. 

The former has a lot of warm tones, JI is wearing lighter and she's wearing a funky scarf to add a touch of lightheartedness. BTW I hated her outfit, trying to be retro but looking frumpy instead.

Keep over-analysing girl! I do it too all the time because I'm an English minor in uni, and I do a lot of essays where I have analyse of film/novels. 

Good catch on the juxtaposition.  Oh that outfit!  I hesitated to say so after the previous anti-fashion discussions on this thread but, seriously, it looked precisely like she had tied a paper sack around her.  The jacket didn't fit right and she kept fussing with it trying to pull it into line (which, given the bad way it was cut, it was never gonna do).  And it had all the color, texture, and flavor of oatmeal.  Oh my.  She did not look either good or comfortable.  But she was both during the JI/JH dinner scene, and she knew it:  she was comfortable and bright and fierce.

English is a brilliant subject for teaching how to analyze.  And I can see you're putting the skill to good use with your analyses here. 

Spoiler

Spoiler tag since I'm going OT again.....I did a double major in English/History; minor in Philosophy.  Some might say I don't really "use" my education (like for work purposes) but I believe that I employ it every minute of every day for thinking purposes of all sorts (even when doing the dishes while my cat Frank watches me from the kitchen windowsill; he patiently listens to all my theories), and clear thinking is very valuable. 

5 minutes ago, xXMzSmilesXx said:

It would be interesting to make GS a "salvageable character", there is still time for that to happen BUT man he is so annoying to watch on screen. It's like he has a mental block when it comes to breaking up with JI, like he can keep saying it to her BUT when she says it to him - he's in disbelief. And some of the things that come out of his mouth, it's shocking. But if writer-nim can salvage his character in a way where he also has character development & apologises to JI about his actions, then that would be good.

Girl, Doctor Google has all your answers cr: Behind the Name

GS is is Completely Annoying.  But I admittedly have a bad attitude where the actor is concerned.  Did you watch Time?  The role the actor played there left me with such a deep abiding disgust that I will never get over it, so I worry that my views on GS are tainted and unreliable from the get-go.  That's partly why I'd like the writer to surprise me and tell me I'm wrong.

GS is being a stereotypical old-school passive-aggressive dominant male.  Now I don't necessarily mind a guy taking charge but that's only if he does it Right because he actually takes the female side into the equation.  GS doesn't.  He's only listening to his own ego, and sometimes just to his id.  He seems to be pretty much lacking in the superego arena because he's reacting rather than taking action.

I'd like to see a character do the unexpected and turn off the trope.  I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.  This drama is just so good that I believe that the writer has lots more to surprise us with, and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the translation and the idea of using Google.  Why do I never think of that?  Probably for the same reason that I absolutely cannot "hear" Korean--there's just some glitch in my brain that glosses over it. Life is funny like that.  

Archived