Quantcast
Jump to content
larus

[Drama 2019] Her Private Life 그녀의 사생활

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, cind3r3lla said:

I cant seem to move on. Last time i was this crazy about kdrama; is when i watched My Girl and fall hard for LDW.. and then Innocent Defendant with Ji Sung but not that severe withdrawal syndrome. Lol. KJW is my top 3 fav actor now!

For me the hardest drama to withdrawal syndrome was goong (princess hour) that time.im so adicted with yoon eun hey n ju ji hoon.even i repeat at 2017 i still take time to withdrawal. But then HPL came out.i think this will be my double harderst for me to forget.

 

Some more, most u all share how to withdrawal the syndrome of HPL.for me its not working because we still clinge with them.unless u all sugest new drama with new actors.ngeeee..

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I like about PMY in this drama is she really look like the girl in Japanese anime/manga at the first half of the drama. Maybe because of her hair style that makes her looks young and sweet. She is really supercute during the writer cabin house (with less makeup) and waking up next to RG. That’s one of my favourite part of this drama. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone here know where to download episodes with both Korean and English subtitles? I watched HPL videos, raw episodes, understand a bit of Korean so I want to rewatch it again with Korean subs and learn more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Latte07 said:

Does anyone here know where to download episodes with both Korean and English subtitles? I watched HPL videos, raw episodes, understand a bit of Korean so I want to rewatch it again with Korean subs and learn more.

Try dramacool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone!

This is my first time writing a reply in soompi.I haven't watch a kdrama more than 5 years, I guess. I feel so lucky that

 I watched HPL! It has became my favorite Kdrama now. I just finished rewatched it

from beginning. So jealous about De-mi

has Ryan in her life!  Enjoyed reading your comments here, wish all  of you a happy day!

 

Ps: I’m not a English speaker, if there has something wrong I wrote, please forgive me haha!

  • Like 9
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, musyi17 said:

For me the hardest drama to withdrawal syndrome was goong (princess hour) that time.im so adicted with yoon eun hey n ju ji hoon.even i repeat at 2017 i still take time to withdrawal. But then HPL came out.i think this will be my double harderst for me to forget.

 

Some more, most u all share how to withdrawal the syndrome of HPL.for me its not working because we still clinge with them.unless u all sugest new drama with new actors.ngeeee..

ME TOO

I was having heavy withdrawal with Goong. And I was in Junior HS at the time. Cant fo much but kept thinking bout them lol.

 

1 hour ago, orion00 said:

What I like about PMY in this drama is she really look like the girl in Japanese anime/manga at the first half of the drama. Maybe because of her hair style that makes her looks young and sweet. She is really supercute during the writer cabin house (with less makeup) and waking up next to RG. That’s one of my favourite part of this drama. 

Truu.

Both KJW and PMY make up and style at the first half of drama is so much better and appealing 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JemrieThanks for these! I'm always telling my wife, you should watch this drama, PMY wears the most gorgeous things (she's a fashion junkie). I'm gonna show her these. As brilliant as HPL is as a show, even if it were a load of crap I'd watch it to ogle PMY.

 

Then again, even without the gorgeous outfits, PMY would look stunning in a garbage bag. 

  • Like 7
  • LOL 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Latte07 said:

Does anyone here know where to download episodes with both Korean and English subtitles? I watched HPL videos, raw episodes, understand a bit of Korean so I want to rewatch it again with Korean subs and learn more.

 

3 hours ago, sksen said:

Try dramacool.

May I know which servers in dramacool that has video with KR subtitle? 

I'd checked it myself but there's a problem with my laptop's video view (hard to explain but I cannot play video normally)...so I had to download everything if I wanna view videos properly :sweatingbullets:

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
26
11 hours ago, Dramageek said:

 

Thank U so much @Ondine and @Sky8lue for this list. Looking at that list make me realise that Her Private Life was Deok Mi journey to become a sucessful fan (the ideas taken from the webtoon). She is one lucky fangirl indeed. Let me recap all Deok Me sucessful fangirl moment.

1. Episode 1: getting Cha Shi An used water bottle (imagine that you have something that your idol's lip touch).

2. Episode 3: meeting Cha Shi An at his own home

3. Episode 3: finding out that Cha Si An notice Si Na Gil, even thankful to the point framing and displaying a photo taken by Si Na Gil.

4. Episode 6: meeting Cha Shi An at work

5. Episode 7: win a spot in fansigning with only one album purchase

6. Episode 7: win a selca/selfie with Shi An with Kong Plussy as a bonus

7. Episode 8: meeting with Shi An (but she was not enjoying this as much, coz he was expecting date with Lion).

8. Episode 9: another meeting (she was brokenhearted by Lion)

9. Episode 13: meeting Cha Shi An's mother

10. Episode 13: breakfast with sandwich made by Cha Shi An's mother

11. Episode 14: Cha Shi An asking if Deok Mi is a fan

12. Episode 15: having Cha Shi An as birthday present.

13. Episode 16: chance to take family potrait

14: Episode 16: knowing that Cha Shi An was sad for Si Na Gil fansite hiatus.

Offcourse the most succesful thing as fan is being together with Shi An brother, which mean that Shi An will become her family: her brother in law.  This is the main idea taken from the webtoon, albeit very different story.

 

So I am not agree with people who said that HPL deviated from fangirling theme. Even though the OTP were written and acted realisticly, but still HPL is kinda cinderella story from fangirl POV (Damn Deok Mi luck as fangirl is too good to be true).

 

Not to mention the whole my boyfriend don't mind and support her as fangirl.

Episode 6 (Ryan knows that Deok Mi is Sinagil).

Episode 11 (Deok Mi find out that Ryan knows her secret and find out about Latte)

Episode 11 (Deok Mi invites Ryan to her fangirling shrine: her penthouse).

Episode 16 (Ryan help Deok Mi securing concert ticket).

In ep 12 story puts emphasis in Ryan's secret. But there is a scene when Deok Mi fangirling/admiring Shi An generosity for donating plussies and scene when Cindy donate her Cha Si An cd for the kids at the orphanage. So fangirling theme was never forgotten in each episode (in ep 2 there is a flashback about why Deok Mi must hide her identity as a fangirl). Not to mention fangirling slang thrown here ad there that (kinda lost in translation for us who do not speak korean).

 

Too bad that the tv show about fangirling that Seon Ju's hubby made, was only used as plot devices (we only see the aftermath). This is missed opportunity to explore how mainstream media and society perceived kpop fandom culture.

 

I agree that this drama stays true to its main theme: fangirling.

Though Deokmi is no longer dressed as fansite master or go to events or even update her fansites, she still sees Sian as her bias and continues flailing over him (under Ryan's amused expression or annoyed glare lol). What makes me sad is I'd love to see her bonding with Sian and Ryan as a family (I NEED RYAN-SIAN BROMANCE AFTER THEY CONFIRM THAT THEY'RE SIBLINGS TOO)...too bad this drama has no time to convey it haha.

 

Regarding her updating her fansite, in the last BTS, Ryan did ask her about why she did not update or run the page...she answered that she's got no time so SeonJoo is running it on her behalf, then teased him that she has a new bias now aka RYAN lol. But the scene was cut from the actual drama.

 

Deokmi's answer to Ryan's proposal which was true in her character as a fangirl was also lost in translation.

She answered him, "Since I'm a fangirl, I'd answer you in my language. I'd love to be your 최애 (ultimate bias). Would you be my 최애, too?" It was translated as "greatest love" or "most-beloved"...but it's actually a Korean slang that's used by fangirls to call their most favorite idol or ultimate bias. After being with Ryan, Ryan becomes her 최애, while SIAN is downgraded to her 차애 (second bias) lol

  • Like 7
  • Insightful 9
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The final recap from Dramas with a Side of Kimchi:

 

https://dramaswithasideofkimchi.com/2019/06/03/her-private-life-episodes-1516-a-chatty-recap/

 

My favorite bits:

Quote

 

Kmuse: I’ve said it before and I will say it again. These two just make intimacy look so effortless. I appreciate that the drama worked so hard to make their relationship be based on mature adult actions regarding dating. And I just don’t mean having a sexual relationship. They both put each other first in their lives while not losing their own identity. It is a nice change.

 

Kdrama Jen: I can see them as a married couple. Sometimes I can’t really see drama relationships working out in real life, but I can picture this one.

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So glad so many are still here on this thread! I haven't exactly moved on from the drama yet either. Just wanted to put up a post on how much I love how the story in all was developed (especially Ryan Gold's character) and why it'll be a tough act to follow.

 

Despite some areas which I still wish they hadn't gone to or since they did, should have presented it better (read: reason for Yoon Jae's adoption), the show was just lovely because:

 

1. Ryan and Doekmi's was truly an adult relationship with adult responses to adult concerns, even if they were very "korean drama tropish".

- there were no idiotic, righteous breakups

- there was passion but they spent their first night only after they were firmly certain they loved each other (there were lots of comparisons with WWWSK, and as much as that was an enjoyable story, I have to say I did not like how their first night together was portrayed. It felt like Secy Kim was feeling pressured into a sexual relationship when she was not quite ready yet. Her entire body language said so. Which well, points to PMY's excellent acting - those 2 characters were not the same!)

- they supported each other by standing in each other's gap

- they forgave each other for each misunderstanding, disagreement or hurt, and moved on

 

2. Everyone's back story moving forward was nicely wrapped up.

- Deokmi's parents were communicating again (in part cos of their son-in-law!)

- Eungi moved back with his birth mother

- Eungi moved on from Deokmi

- Dain also moved on and returned to NYC, satisfied that she had gotten over her artistic slump and Ryan was certainly no longer on the shelf for her

- Director Eom's family life was on the road to recovery. As a person she was also no longer someone who needed control, putting that aside in favour of spending time with her husband. That's also in part a recognition that marriage life is between husband and wife and your child must be allowed to grow up become her own person

- Seonjoo and Seungmin more than made up - there's an addition to the family

- Ryan re-established himself as an artist

- Deokmi got recognised at her work place and got the directorship as earlier promised by Director Eom

- Yooseob finally got Curator Yoo to date him

- Lee Seol finally debuted (albeit her first and last exhibition) so that chapter closes nicely and she returns to her husband overseas. It sounds like she lives in the US though? She said she teaches Korean to Korean adoptees? Or did I get that wrong? And she attributed that to how she got reunited with Yoonjae... but really? That remark I did not get.

 

What's to come for our imagination and friends who love fanfic writing?

• Where will Ryan locate himself in his artistic career? NYC or Seoul? Cos Deokmi has certainly returned to Seoul for her career.

• Sindy and Eungi's life - how will her mother respond to him and his (clearly by Korean Chaebol standards) different beginnings and life

• When will Ryan and Deokmi go through their wedding ceremony?

• Will Sian ever find out who Sinagil is? 

• How will Joo Hyuk's career progress?

And...

• Is anyone still curious about Ryan's adoptive parents? There was a remark somewhere made by Curator Yoo that Ryan's adoptive mother was native Korean, and that was the reason given for his fluency in the language. 

 

 

  • Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

Deokmi's answer to Ryan's proposal which was true in her character as a fangirl was also lost in translation.

She answered him, "Since I'm a fangirl, I'd answer you in my language. I'd love to be your 최애 (ultimate bias). Would you be my 최애, too?" It was translated as "greatest love" or "most-beloved"...but it's actually a Korean slang that's used by fangirls to call their most favorite idol or ultimate bias. After being with Ryan, Ryan becomes her 최애, while SIAN is downgraded to her 차애 (second bias) lol

Oooh nice. I love seeing stuff like this. I often notice that I lose much in translation when the subs don't coincide with the actors' expressions, or when their tone connotes a hidden meaning or inside joke. I actually want to make a compilation of all the missed Korean references that were lost in translation, because I'm editing my personal copy of my subs to include them. Just a few off the top of my head:

 

1. The one mentioned before about I-Seon-Hwa (already chosen seat) and I-Seon-Joo, the joke/pun Ryan told. 

 

2. The card shark/Hwatu movie, when Deok Mi called him "Tazza Ryan".

 

3. The time when Deok Mi gave Ryan a sarcastic reply about how he won't get drunk on Makgeolli again, which Ryan countered by giving her the exact Korean phrase when she told him she looks good in yellow. 

 

4. Anything that has to do with fangirling I feel has loss in meaning. I still don't know what Deok Mi and Ryan meant when she was almost caught by Shi An in SAIML attire in the elevator. She asks Ryan "why were you startled", Ryan said "I studied because my GF is a fangirl". 

 

5. The "ultimate bias" in the proposal, since I dunno how to translate that directly to English, I just opted to do it "I'll be your ultimate fangirl, will you be my ultimate fanboy?" 

 

I'm hoping some of our bilingual friends here can help, if there are other "lost in translation" conversations or phrases in the show. Since I'm getting HPL withdrawals, this has been what's been keeping me busy lmao. 

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

 

What's to come for our imagination and friends who love fanfic writing?

 

• Where will Ryan locate himself in his artistic career? NYC or Seoul? Cos Deokmi has certainly returned to Seoul for her career.

 

 

New York. Can't see him doing anything in Seoul. Even Deok-mi herself said that as an artist, Ryan Gold was born, raised and acknowledged in New York. His life is in New York. His career is in New York. And Deok-mi understands this, which is why she made him go back - if he didn't, he'd just be forever painting in that room of his in his apartment. That's cruel to an artist with Ryan's skill. It is likely that Deok-mi herself won't be content with staying at Cheum for long and will base herself in New York eventually, as a curator working in one of the top galleries in New York - that's going to be better than anything she can do at Cheum.

 

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

 

• Is anyone still curious about Ryan's adoptive parents? There was a remark somewhere made by Curator Yoo that Ryan's adoptive mother was native Korean, and that was the reason given for his fluency in the language. 

 

 

I will forever rue that the drama never gave Ryan's adoptive parents the credit they deserve. For me, they've done more for Ryan than anyone else in the world, and this should have been properly acknowledged. Ryan does speak of them fondly, and Deok-mi's mother did mention a few times that Ryan must have been raised by outstanding parents, but those just aren't enough. It has to be said though that Ryan's fluency in Korean is a bit unrealistic given that he's never stepped foot in Korea after being adopted - while his adoptive mother probably spoke to him in Korean, surely his adoptive father didn't. To reach that level of fluency requires more than just that. But well, we can probably handwave that away and say that he can do anything because he's Ryan Gold B)

  • Like 12
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
 
5
11 minutes ago, TheRoadtoPMY said:

Oooh nice. I love seeing stuff like this. I often notice that I lose much in translation when the subs don't coincide with the actors' expressions, or when their tone connotes a hidden meaning or inside joke. I actually want to make a compilation of all the missed Korean references that were lost in translation, because I'm editing my personal copy of my subs to include them. Just a few off the top of my head:

 

1. The one mentioned before about I-Seon-Hwa (already chosen seat) and I-Seon-Joo, the joke/pun Ryan told. 

 

2. The card shark/Hwatu movie, when Deok Mi called him "Tazza Ryan".

 

3. The time when Deok Mi gave Ryan a sarcastic reply about how he won't get drunk on Makgeolli again, which Ryan countered by giving her the exact Korean phrase when she told him she looks good in yellow. 

 

4. Anything that has to do with fangirling I feel has loss in meaning. I still don't know what Deok Mi and Ryan meant when she was almost caught by Shi An in SAIML attire in the elevator. She asks Ryan "why were you startled", Ryan said "I studied because my GF is a fangirl". 

 

5. The "ultimate bias" in the proposal, since I dunno how to translate that directly to English, I just opted to do it "I'll be your ultimate fangirl, will you be my ultimate fanboy?" 

 

I'm hoping some of our bilingual friends here can help, if there are other "lost in translation" conversations or phrases in the show. Since I'm getting HPL withdrawals, this has been what's been keeping me busy lmao. 

 

Some points: 

2. The card shark/Hwatu movie, when Deok Mi called him "Tazza Ryan". --> I still don't get this one ... my Korean isn't advanced...:unsure:

 

4. Anything that has to do with fangirling I feel has loss in meaning. I still don't know what Deok Mi and Ryan meant when she was almost caught by Shi An in SAIML attire in the elevator. She asks Ryan "why were you startled", Ryan said "I studied because my GF is a fangirl". --> DM asked why was he surprised too (she's the one who's supposed to be in shock lol). Ryan actually answered that it's because of HER...because he's worried her cosplay (il-ko = ilban-cosplay = cosplaying as normal person) will be revealed. That's why DM is surprised. What she said after that was literally translated to "HOW DID YOU KNOW SUCH VOCAB?" So that's why Ryan told her he's been studying [fangirl vocab] cuz his gf is a fangirl...and you can see DM's slight smile after that. 

 

5. The "ultimate bias" in the proposal, since I dunno how to translate that directly to English, I just opted to do it "I'll be your ultimate fangirl, will you be my ultimate fanboy?" --> nope... [ultimate] BIAS refers someone who's being fangirled or the idol...it cannot be translated into "fangirl/fanboy" cuz it has the opposite meaning.

  • Like 6
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@luvcrabbieshinhwaFor the Tazza one, I actually got that on my own, lol. There's a movie called Tazza that's pretty popular in Korea I think, it's about high-stakes Hwatu. For the ultimate bias point, yeah I get that now, thanks. It's opposite in meaning, Deok Mi is declaring herself to becoming Ryan's ultimate bias, while also asking Ryan if he could be hers. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything else that can be done translation-wise lol, the closest on meaning is probably "number 1 idol", but even then it's a bit too different. I guess I'll stick with ultimate/greatest love then, lol.

 

For point #4, thank you! Been wracking my head trying to figure out what they were talking about. I guess I'm gonna re-watch again and ask you gals here if I missed any references again, lmao. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaemin kimpark said:
PMY instagram update

KJW : Paper

PMY : scissor

 

The Winner is.......... : P M Y......:D

 

I find it strange that she hasn't even acknowledged the end of the show on her own social media. I think from a PR/business perspective it should be a standard move; it's a way to project yourself as gracious and grateful for your projects. But then again, it's her account; she can do (or not do) what she wants. :)

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

 

Some points: 

2. The card shark/Hwatu movie, when Deok Mi called him "Tazza Ryan". --> I still don't get this one ... my Korean isn't advanced...:unsure:

 

4. Anything that has to do with fangirling I feel has loss in meaning. I still don't know what Deok Mi and Ryan meant when she was almost caught by Shi An in SAIML attire in the elevator. She asks Ryan "why were you startled", Ryan said "I studied because my GF is a fangirl". --> DM asked why was he surprised too (she's the one who's supposed to be in shock lol). Ryan actually answered that it's because of HER...because he's worried her cosplay (il-ko = ilban-cosplay = cosplaying as normal person) will be revealed. That's why DM is surprised. What she said after that was literally translated to "HOW DID YOU KNOW SUCH VOCAB?" So that's why Ryan told her he's been studying [fangirl vocab] cuz his gf is a fangirl...and you can see DM's slight smile after that. 

 

5. The "ultimate bias" in the proposal, since I dunno how to translate that directly to English, I just opted to do it "I'll be your ultimate fangirl, will you be my ultimate fanboy?" --> nope... [ultimate] BIAS refers someone who's being fangirled or the idol...it cannot be translated into "fangirl/fanboy" cuz it has the opposite meaning.

 

최애 (Chui Ae)'s actual meaning is most beloved whom you love someone deeply. In chinese will be '最愛' (Zui Ai) as it sounds similar in terms of pronouncation with Korean. So it depends on how individual look at 최애. 

  • Like 4
  • Insightful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...