[Drama 2019] Her Private Life 그녀의 사생활

larus

2 hours ago, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

Deokmi's answer to Ryan's proposal which was true in her character as a fangirl was also lost in translation.

She answered him, "Since I'm a fangirl, I'd answer you in my language. I'd love to be your 최애 (ultimate bias). Would you be my 최애, too?" It was translated as "greatest love" or "most-beloved"...but it's actually a Korean slang that's used by fangirls to call their most favorite idol or ultimate bias. After being with Ryan, Ryan becomes her 최애, while SIAN is downgraded to her 차애 (second bias) lol

Oooh nice. I love seeing stuff like this. I often notice that I lose much in translation when the subs don't coincide with the actors' expressions, or when their tone connotes a hidden meaning or inside joke. I actually want to make a compilation of all the missed Korean references that were lost in translation, because I'm editing my personal copy of my subs to include them. Just a few off the top of my head:

1. The one mentioned before about I-Seon-Hwa (already chosen seat) and I-Seon-Joo, the joke/pun Ryan told. 

2. The card shark/Hwatu movie, when Deok Mi called him "Tazza Ryan".

3. The time when Deok Mi gave Ryan a sarcastic reply about how he won't get drunk on Makgeolli again, which Ryan countered by giving her the exact Korean phrase when she told him she looks good in yellow. 

4. Anything that has to do with fangirling I feel has loss in meaning. I still don't know what Deok Mi and Ryan meant when she was almost caught by Shi An in SAIML attire in the elevator. She asks Ryan "why were you startled", Ryan said "I studied because my GF is a fangirl". 

5. The "ultimate bias" in the proposal, since I dunno how to translate that directly to English, I just opted to do it "I'll be your ultimate fangirl, will you be my ultimate fanboy?" 

I'm hoping some of our bilingual friends here can help, if there are other "lost in translation" conversations or phrases in the show. Since I'm getting HPL withdrawals, this has been what's been keeping me busy lmao. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

What's to come for our imagination and friends who love fanfic writing?

• Where will Ryan locate himself in his artistic career? NYC or Seoul? Cos Deokmi has certainly returned to Seoul for her career.

New York. Can't see him doing anything in Seoul. Even Deok-mi herself said that as an artist, Ryan Gold was born, raised and acknowledged in New York. His life is in New York. His career is in New York. And Deok-mi understands this, which is why she made him go back - if he didn't, he'd just be forever painting in that room of his in his apartment. That's cruel to an artist with Ryan's skill. It is likely that Deok-mi herself won't be content with staying at Cheum for long and will base herself in New York eventually, as a curator working in one of the top galleries in New York - that's going to be better than anything she can do at Cheum.

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

• Is anyone still curious about Ryan's adoptive parents? There was a remark somewhere made by Curator Yoo that Ryan's adoptive mother was native Korean, and that was the reason given for his fluency in the language. 

I will forever rue that the drama never gave Ryan's adoptive parents the credit they deserve. For me, they've done more for Ryan than anyone else in the world, and this should have been properly acknowledged. Ryan does speak of them fondly, and Deok-mi's mother did mention a few times that Ryan must have been raised by outstanding parents, but those just aren't enough. It has to be said though that Ryan's fluency in Korean is a bit unrealistic given that he's never stepped foot in Korea after being adopted - while his adoptive mother probably spoke to him in Korean, surely his adoptive father didn't. To reach that level of fluency requires more than just that. But well, we can probably handwave that away and say that he can do anything because he's Ryan Gold B)

• Like 12
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TheRoadtoPMY said:

Oooh nice. I love seeing stuff like this. I often notice that I lose much in translation when the subs don't coincide with the actors' expressions, or when their tone connotes a hidden meaning or inside joke. I actually want to make a compilation of all the missed Korean references that were lost in translation, because I'm editing my personal copy of my subs to include them. Just a few off the top of my head:

1. The one mentioned before about I-Seon-Hwa (already chosen seat) and I-Seon-Joo, the joke/pun Ryan told. 

2. The card shark/Hwatu movie, when Deok Mi called him "Tazza Ryan".

3. The time when Deok Mi gave Ryan a sarcastic reply about how he won't get drunk on Makgeolli again, which Ryan countered by giving her the exact Korean phrase when she told him she looks good in yellow. 

4. Anything that has to do with fangirling I feel has loss in meaning. I still don't know what Deok Mi and Ryan meant when she was almost caught by Shi An in SAIML attire in the elevator. She asks Ryan "why were you startled", Ryan said "I studied because my GF is a fangirl". 

5. The "ultimate bias" in the proposal, since I dunno how to translate that directly to English, I just opted to do it "I'll be your ultimate fangirl, will you be my ultimate fanboy?" 

I'm hoping some of our bilingual friends here can help, if there are other "lost in translation" conversations or phrases in the show. Since I'm getting HPL withdrawals, this has been what's been keeping me busy lmao. 

Some points: 

2. The card shark/Hwatu movie, when Deok Mi called him "Tazza Ryan". --> I still don't get this one ... my Korean isn't advanced...:unsure:

4. Anything that has to do with fangirling I feel has loss in meaning. I still don't know what Deok Mi and Ryan meant when she was almost caught by Shi An in SAIML attire in the elevator. She asks Ryan "why were you startled", Ryan said "I studied because my GF is a fangirl". --> DM asked why was he surprised too (she's the one who's supposed to be in shock lol). Ryan actually answered that it's because of HER...because he's worried her cosplay (il-ko = ilban-cosplay = cosplaying as normal person) will be revealed. That's why DM is surprised. What she said after that was literally translated to "HOW DID YOU KNOW SUCH VOCAB?" So that's why Ryan told her he's been studying [fangirl vocab] cuz his gf is a fangirl...and you can see DM's slight smile after that. 

5. The "ultimate bias" in the proposal, since I dunno how to translate that directly to English, I just opted to do it "I'll be your ultimate fangirl, will you be my ultimate fanboy?" --> nope... [ultimate] BIAS refers someone who's being fangirled or the idol...it cannot be translated into "fangirl/fanboy" cuz it has the opposite meaning.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

@luvcrabbieshinhwaFor the Tazza one, I actually got that on my own, lol. There's a movie called Tazza that's pretty popular in Korea I think, it's about high-stakes Hwatu. For the ultimate bias point, yeah I get that now, thanks. It's opposite in meaning, Deok Mi is declaring herself to becoming Ryan's ultimate bias, while also asking Ryan if he could be hers. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything else that can be done translation-wise lol, the closest on meaning is probably "number 1 idol", but even then it's a bit too different. I guess I'll stick with ultimate/greatest love then, lol.

For point #4, thank you! Been wracking my head trying to figure out what they were talking about. I guess I'm gonna re-watch again and ask you gals here if I missed any references again, lmao. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jaemin kimpark said:
PMY instagram update

KJW : Paper

PMY : scissor

The Winner is.......... : P M Y......:D

I find it strange that she hasn't even acknowledged the end of the show on her own social media. I think from a PR/business perspective it should be a standard move; it's a way to project yourself as gracious and grateful for your projects. But then again, it's her account; she can do (or not do) what she wants. :)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

Some points: 

2. The card shark/Hwatu movie, when Deok Mi called him "Tazza Ryan". --> I still don't get this one ... my Korean isn't advanced...:unsure:

4. Anything that has to do with fangirling I feel has loss in meaning. I still don't know what Deok Mi and Ryan meant when she was almost caught by Shi An in SAIML attire in the elevator. She asks Ryan "why were you startled", Ryan said "I studied because my GF is a fangirl". --> DM asked why was he surprised too (she's the one who's supposed to be in shock lol). Ryan actually answered that it's because of HER...because he's worried her cosplay (il-ko = ilban-cosplay = cosplaying as normal person) will be revealed. That's why DM is surprised. What she said after that was literally translated to "HOW DID YOU KNOW SUCH VOCAB?" So that's why Ryan told her he's been studying [fangirl vocab] cuz his gf is a fangirl...and you can see DM's slight smile after that. 

5. The "ultimate bias" in the proposal, since I dunno how to translate that directly to English, I just opted to do it "I'll be your ultimate fangirl, will you be my ultimate fanboy?" --> nope... [ultimate] BIAS refers someone who's being fangirled or the idol...it cannot be translated into "fangirl/fanboy" cuz it has the opposite meaning.

최애 (Chui Ae)'s actual meaning is most beloved whom you love someone deeply. In chinese will be '最愛' (Zui Ai) as it sounds similar in terms of pronouncation with Korean. So it depends on how individual look at 최애. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

The latest Buzzworthy List from Gooddata Corp:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1329752wpp/song-joong-ki-and-arthdal-chronicles-top-rankings-for-most-buzzworthy-actors-and-dramas

Arthdal Chronicles was in first place, HPL in second. The actors:

1. Song Joong Ki (“Arthdal Chronicles”)
2. Jung Hae In (“One Spring Night”)
3. Han Ji Min (“One Spring Night”)
4. Park Min Young (“Her Private Life”)
5. Kim Jae Wook (“Her Private Life”)

• Like 8
  • Love 5

17 hours ago, Ondine said:

@sillygal I don't remember ever tearing up over a film or TV proposal before HPL. When Ryan suddenly started speaking seriously, I may have started screaming "ohmygod!" (Eom. So. Hye. style of course) several times. For someone who has never seen or done a proposal before and has only killed people, KJW did such an excellent job I thought ---so excellent he made himself cry in the process too, hehe. 

Same here!! At the most, I am only on the verge in tearing but not crying. Every single time I start to watch the proposal, I can literally just cry it out. I have been re-watching their BTS and KJW mentioned that rom-com is not easy for him, from someone who has been second male lead, serial killer then to first male lead for rom-com is definitely KJW's biggest challenge. I remember he went onto Rain's V LIVE and Rain mentioned that KJW is someone who will always make small yet realistic goals that's achievable for himself compared to wants to have cars, girlfriends, houses etc. So I believe KJW wants to take up the challenge to achieve this goal for himself this year, and YES HE MADE IT!! I am very proud of him. :)

• Like 12
  • Love 3

35 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I find it strange that she hasn't even acknowledged the end of the show on her own social media. I think from a PR/business perspective it should be a standard move; it's a way to project yourself as gracious and grateful for your projects. But then again, it's her account; she can do (or not do) what she wants. :)

She worked extremely hard for SDM and most likely she cherishes the character much so she needs time gathering all of her thoughts to get out of the character and to bids her farewell...:)  I read so many stories of how some actors needed much longer time to shed off their characters. 

Some of HPL’s fans are having hard time to move on, much more PMY who was directly involved....:)

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, cenching said:

She worked extremely hard for SDM and most likely she cherishes the character much so she needs time gathering all of her thoughts to get out of the character and to bids her farewell...:)  I read so many stories of how some actors needed much longer time to shed off their characters. 

Some of HPL’s fans are having hard time to move on, much more PMY who was directly involved....:)

That's certainly possible. I guess only time will tell. :)

• Like 4

I tried watching Healer, but decided to give up in Ep 3, too political, sibling rivalry, can’t stand the story plot line, still prefer HPL since it is a simple, warmth drama, with not much thoughts and agony. 

• Like 1

@luvcrabbieshinhwaThanks for the translations, I really I appreciate it! I have another favor though, I'm getting confused over what Deok Mi says in the proposal, right after she says "I'm a fangirl, so I will answer in a way that befits me". In most subs, she replies: "Yes. I will be your greatest love. Will you be my greatest love as well?"

But I'm sure she doesn't say "Yes." in the first sentence. It sounds like joahaeyo, so I'm guessing she says "I like you"? I'm sensing another mistranslated part here. 

@SGahjummaI get what you mean. If we're being objective (about as objective one can get with viewing shows), Healer is perhaps the better drama. It has a meatier plot, more action, higher stakes, gripping mystery, etc. HPL is just some story about how 2 adults fall in love, and what other stuff the people around them do. That's it. If we're talking food, Healer might be some amazing roast beef made by the finest chef in the world, while HPL is the most delicious candy ever. No one will ever say the candy is better food than the roast beef. And yet everyone can eat and will eat candy (unless you hate sweets). You won't always have the appeitie for a heavy gourmet dinner. But we can always use a little candy in our lives. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sillygal said:

최애 (Chui Ae)'s actual meaning is most beloved whom you love someone deeply. In chinese will be '最愛' (Zui Ai) as it sounds similar in terms of pronouncation with Korean. So it depends on how individual look at 최애. 

Wah thanks for the reference to Chinese *takes notes*

but here I'm talking about translating it within a context of fangirling, because Deokmi refers to herself as a fangirl when she said that...so i think 'ultimate bias' is more appropriate diction as a fangirl, compared to what it literally means.

30 minutes ago, TheRoadtoPMY said:

@luvcrabbieshinhwaThanks for the translations, I really I appreciate it! I have another favor though, I'm getting confused over what Deok Mi says in the proposal, right after she says "I'm a fangirl, so I will answer in a way that befits me". In most subs, she replies: "Yes. I will be your greatest love. Will you be my greatest love as well?"

But I'm sure she doesn't say "Yes." in the first sentence. It sounds like joahaeyo, so I'm guessing she says "I like you"? I'm sensing another mistranslated part here. 

Nope...she doesn't say "I like you." In this context, the sentence expresses an agreement = a YES/OK!

48 minutes ago, SGahjumma said:

I tried watching Healer, but decided to give up in Ep 3, too political, sibling rivalry, can’t stand the story plot line, still prefer HPL since it is a simple, warmth drama, with not much thoughts and agony. 

I LOVE HEALER though it was full of conflicts and complicated back stories.

But yeah, sometimes we do need candies instead of fully-cooked meat anyway...and it isn't even in the same genre with HPL so nothing to compare except chemistry between leads (and the fact it's PMY!) hehe... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4