[Drama 2019] Her Private Life 그녀의 사생활

larus

I can't believe I was dreading this ep when it turned out to be such a blast! As usual - the stuff I LOVED:

1. The pillow talk to dressing up - I was feeling like a third wheeler but I enjoyed it so much. The way they flirt is just oompf. When DM called RG a "Shy Boy" for keeping their "night" a secret from the staff, he asked her to wear HIS clothes(flustering DM because that'd mean her clothes got torn or something - my dirty dirty mind! TMI for sure) - They are such a quirky couple - I haven't talked about it much but I love how DM never lost her sarcasm throughout the series. Just. The. Best. Couple. Ever.

2. Si An is the gift(parallel with selfies!) - can only be given by someone as mature and understanding as Ryan(how great is he? how amazing is he supposed to be? Is there ANY limit?) Planning out in order to keep SNG a secret, and being such a sweetheart. He's impeccable. Protect him, love him, hug him, nurture him.

3. DM is still an expert photographer/editor - and I am so glad they still kept her true to character with Ryan's childhood photos. The way even Ryan's arc didn't let her fade into the background - such brilliant execution, really.

4. Ryan being so comforting to DM when she was overwhelmed - the quiet, reassuring "It's okay" means a lot. "It's okay - It's okay." Just listening to it comforted me as well. He can put his past beyond him, be thankful for little blessings, and comfort people who have hurt him. He's too kindhearted a soul to exist.

5. Cindy calling EG a pushover was freaking hilarious, but also apt. Also her mom panicking and checking the family registry lmao!!!!  The way she screamed "Hyo Jin is MY daughter" when DM's mom called Cindy, her daughter - it was so damn funny! "Why do you keep calling her your daughter, she's mine!" - it was precious. Beyond all pettiness and pride, I guess Eom So Hye is a very insecure mother. Cute!

6. There's even parallel in closing eyes - who's the scriptwriter? Or were all these in the webtoon? In any case, I will die to see more from them! Our tastes match!

7. DM is repeating that the painting is "perfect" thrice, when RG was so nervous about it! I will miss them so much. The absolute bond they have...they are completely perfect for each other. He called her more precious than the paintings... and to think they called each other crazy the first time - we have come so far, and in such a healthy way. They don't even need a wedding at this point of time - they've become closer than I've seen actual couples be. Time skip is the way to go, writer nim. Time skip with little lion cubs.

8. I am glad they didn't forget...that DM has a career to follow too! There were some things she wasn't able to do, and now she can finally move on and work on them - giving the female leads, their career aspirations attention, not as a plot device(for the separation of doom), but as an important part of character growth. (that was one thing that really put me off in PMY's last drama)

Sad stuff under spoilers because no:

Spoiler

Ryan Gold is a SAINT for being this forgiving to two people who gave him such trauma - the poor boy never had any choice to do otherwise either, being the understanding and mature soul he is. My poor lion cub. The control he had over his own emotions to think, understand and comfort people who were responsible for a life long pain...

But - how do I ever fault DM's mom...losing a child drives people mad, they go to any lengths - what she did was terrible but like her dad said, she couldn't have kept him. Doing this with financial difficulties. She couldn't have given him up formally for adoption/or left him in daylight with people around because he'd been living with her for a month. She could be arrested for kidnapping and all that if the people suspected. And she had just lost a child. It was the same unfortunate incident as Ryan's mom. Considering she's a lady that adopts anyone who comes her way even now - I can't imagine how terrible of a torture it must have been for her for so many years.

I am utterly weak towards brother-sister and daddy-daughter moments, due to personal reasons, so I ended up bawling my eyes out and end up getting emotional so can't critique it well.

Lastly, @tinymel thank you for your defence of childhood lovers trope. Reading your writings, it made so much sense. And I completely agree the writer is trying her best to keep them balanced and equal - with ages, competency, professions(if not a world renowned critic, at least DM was a de facto director till Eom was the formal one), amnesia - she did all she could to keep them at equal ground and that's the biggest reason why this drama is such a pleasure to watch. That's probably also why she would end with DM going to USA and finally becoming what she has wanted to be, and also standing shoulder to shoulder with RG on the world stage. A perfect match in every sense of the word. About comparisons with WWWSK:

Spoiler

To people who say the dramas are similar - are we watching the same drama?

1. The drama has made the leads here equal in everything to the greatest extent - while the power imbalance was obnoxious in WWWSK.

2. The childhood plotline seemed to be a cover for the power imbalance in WWWSK, and here it was a red herring which made us think the leads would break up but they didn't.

3. The character of Mi So was pretty bland there, and had no quirks. Deok Mi has a 3D personality and is a very sweet yet relatable character.

4. Brothers - the family bond there didn't seem half as strong as it was here

5. Lastly the male lead of WWWSK can't hold a candle to Ryan Gold personality wise. Not now, not ever.

Neither of it got resolved in the end. Even in the webtoon, after the secy gets pregnant, the ML reduces her responsibilities without asking her or consulting her on anything. It makes me mad whenever I think about it. That's why RG wins - DM is a partner who knows everything and has the right to take part in his decisions, while most of these chaebol-secy dynamic couples has the male lead acting like a guardian/parent to the female lead. Not. Charming. At. All.

I am not being harsh because I didn't like it - I am speaking as someone who was obsessed with WWWSK and read all of its webtoon till the end - before HPL came along and swept me off my feet.

Please recommend me more stuff - novels, webtoons, dramas, anything from this particular writer! I love her. I absolutely love her.

• Like 15
  • Love 6

4 hours ago, starrysky18 said:

Did sbs really upload his videos? I wanna watch. Could you please share the link. Thanks 

yes... quite numbers of Bad Guy drama that has his scenes in it

Spoiler

you can find others link on this channel

• Like 4
  • Love 2

57 minutes ago, extrodinairey said:

Truck of Doom made its presence. :joy:

I love this thread btw

OMG it didn't even register with me until you commented! It ain't a real K-drama if there ain't no truck of doom! Check another trope off the list. :lol:

Watched it with subs, and this line:

9cMTMMW.png

tZb8RoB.png

In your face, all you noble idiots!

As usual, I live for the mundane domestic couple-y fluff. I don't even miss having a sexy bed scene, honestly (I myself am surprised). I love that lipstick kissing scene because of how natural and comfortable they looked doing it, and that's pretty rare in my K-drama watching experience. I mean, PMY and KJW must be super used to kissing each other by now. :lol: Although I like to think in an alternate universe, instead of "I'm Ryan Gold" KJW should have said "I'm effing Hedwig, and I probably look better in full makeup than you." (Kidding, kidding, PMY is still prettier. Sorry KJW.) I also love the car singing scene; it totally suited Deokmi but Ryan just looked like a giant (lovable) dork. (Also, kid actor Deok Soo is soooo cute, cuter than Geun Woo sry2say.)

Soooo looking forward to tonight's ep and the behind the scenes video and end-of-series cast interviews and wrap party pics! PMY and KJW, I am expecting hotness from you two, please do not let me down! :D

ETA: @bliss1004 Thanks for sharing the videos. Yeah, what's up with that? SBS, wyd? :blink:

@tensaitekikuroneko I love love love your last post, I want to draw hearts around it. :D Your 7th point reminded me of the earlier episode, when Deokmi was sitting and looking at the paintings in the gallery after Director Eom slapped her, and she told Ryan she was more precious than the paintings, and Ryan didn't feel the same way about himself. I think that moment in ep 15 was a lovely callback to that, because Ryan now truly understands how Deokmi and himself are more precious than the paintings he used to pin his self-worth on. ♥

I super agree with your points about the difference between HPL and WWWSK too. Rant incoming:

Spoiler

I love Mi So because she was very different from the rom-com leads I was used too, but she wasn't really fleshed out very well. In my preferred alternate universe, the show should have built on the potential of the first episode and made the story about Mi So finding out what she really wanted in life. In the end everything was buried under the supposed love between them, but I never really felt they connected as people, and they were never really equals in that relationship. Sure, the actors' chemistry was smashing, and Park Seo Joon did a super awesome job at making LYJ even likeable; at the hands of a lesser actor I would have loathed the character through and through. Ryan Gold is pretty much a cinnamon roll, too good, too pure for this world, but I think the K-drama world desperately needed him to counter the normalized toxic masculinity of every other male lead in its history. This is the standard of what women deserve; we can no longer accept the misogyny and disrespect built into male leads as romantic. :P Anyway, that went off the rails, but the point is I totes agree with your points. :lol:

• Like 6
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3

Not a fan of the childhood trope, felt a little tacked on, but I guess at least they found a way to explain why everyone in this family are fanatics, it was their way to cope with the loss. A bit contrived though. I thought they were gonna do more with it to be honest, like maybe have Yoon Jae as the cause of the accident that killed Deok Soo. So they have to deal with RG's guilt and DM trying to forgive something that a child RG did. But maybe that was too dark or makjang? Lol. Or 2 episodes aren't enough to solve a plot point that big. 

But outside of that, a very sweet episode. RG-DM again proves they're the most mature couple in kdramaland. Amazing birthday gift from RG for DM, both of them. Birthday scene with SA was hilarious, I felt DM's ecstatic fangirliness in that scene, she can barely keep it together. Lol And as what another person here said, I love love how this drama uses parallels to strengthen its scenes. Off the top of my head.

-3 or 4 different versions of "I want it"

-Selfie with SA

-"Annyeong" at Nho Seok's and upon finishing DM painting

-DM going to Cheum after she got slapped by Eom. RG going to Cheum after revealing he is HYJ to his mother

-3 or 4 instances of EG and DM in the swings

-You can badmouth him in front of me vs. Don't say anything bad about my "saja seki"

-Team dinner as a fake couple and as a real couple

I dunno if I missed anything, but those are the ones I remember. Can't wait for the last episode, I'm gonna really miss this drama. It's been dominating my attention for the 2 months it aired, lol.

• Like 14

de-lurking to say that I LOVE HPL SOOOOO MUCH:heart: all things aside, I especially love how they solve the drama's conflicts, out of all kdramas I've watched, HPL solves its conflicts in a fastest, simplest, sweetest (my personal opinion) way possible, no dragging, no noble idiocy, setting the bar for perfect leads and OTP so high for kdrama. Yeah they didn't delve deeper into some conflicts (or all, idk), but sometimes it really didn't needed and many dramas tend to drag the issue for sooooo long when the solution can be very simple.

Try not to care so much about the rating, after all, it's a cable drama, tho the standard may be higher now but it's not that much higher imo, I think many productions give reward vacation when dramas pass around 5-6%, it means 5-6% is still considered as a very good (high?) rating, so the ratings for HPL is still okay when even many public dramas' ratings are also around HPL, I guess 2-3% can be around 7-8% or 8-9% for public channel? definitely not a flop, since I saw many comments (esp from those who dislike HPL) saying HPL ratings are low as if it's flopping so hard.

And about the comparison.... I'm a fan of PMY's previous drama and OTP too when it was airing, there might be some similar aspects or scenes or whatever, but it's kdrama, unless the genre is different, chance you encounter similar things is always there lol don't mind them

Ryan Gold is really a gold standard for kdrama male lead:wub: and Park Minyoung, urghh LOVE HER:wub:

Spoiler

I would add Cha Eun Ho from Romance is a Bonus Book too haha

Edited by hyuuhikari
deleting one of the hidden contents and adding comment
  • Like 8

Dear, TVN:

If there's no sexy RG/DM bed scene in episode 16, could we please have a sexy magazine photo shoot with PMY and KJW together? Or maybe have them promote the drama together overseas? Or maybe another drama of them together?  :joy:

Love,

The World

• Like 10
  • LOL 2

22 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

would I be able to go work :joy::mrgreen: 

Let's take a bet! I bet the "why are you shaking?' and probably 70% of this scene was ad-lib :joy:

Spoiler

I was upset yesterday because someone commented that HPL is copying WWWSK about the past connection and HPL did it with lesser quality :crazy: I mean.. it's a Korean drama! How many dramas in South Korea that the leads will be turned out to have past connection? Watch Kill Me Heal Me and the lead will have past connection too. :rage: Why always dragging HPL?? tsk.. Sorry for my rant :D

• Like 3
  • Love 4

15 hours ago, mmac80 said:

Dear, TVN:

If there's no sexy RG/DM bed scene in episode 16, could we please have a sexy magazine photo shoot with PMY and KJW together? Or maybe have them promote the drama together overseas? Or maybe another drama of them together?  :joy:

Love,

The World

A MOVIE WITH............ GENRE:MATURE ...hahahahha!

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

Let's take a bet! I bet the "why are you shaking?' and probably 70% of this scene was ad-lib :joy:

Reveal hidden contents

I was upset yesterday because someone commented that HPL is copying WWWSK about the past connection and HPL did it with lesser quality :crazy: I mean.. it's a Korean drama! How many dramas in South Korea that the leads will be turned out to have past connection? Watch Kill Me Heal Me and the lead will have past connection too. :rage: Why always dragging HPL?? tsk.. Sorry for my rant :D

The best way to ignore those none sense comparisons is to not let it bothers you. They are missing out on the goodies that this show offers. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, brutal29 said:

A MOVIE WITH............ GENRE:MATURE ...hahahahha!

Ooh, I like this one better because they'll eventually promote it everywhere and have a bunch of photo shoots together :kiss_wink:.  3 birds with one stone, haha!

• Like 5

Hey, whoever said that this drama has to much kiss or too fluffy just don't get it. First of all, if U have a boyfriend like Ryan Gold, U are crazy if you just kiss him once or twice. Don't forget that Deok Mi is a fangirl (fangirl always love fanfictions) and we see for our selves that her imagination is wild (blindfold kiss imagination). She got a boyfriend that is amazingly handsome and her type, can be cute, very caring and overal has good personality (always saying sorry first), having the same passion in art, and understanding to her hobby as a fangirl: almost too good to be true. If I am Deok Mi, I'll also will shower him with love, hug and kisses. It is illogical if the writer opt for less skinship. I think other TvN Drama, Another Oh Hae Young also has a lot of kisses, true to the OTP character.

I do also think that people who comment that PMY character or the HPL plot is too similar to WWWSK just don't get it. WWWSK use childhood story as plot device to bridge different social status between the OTP (chaebol and her secretary) and due to his trauma YJ cannot be with other adult women: Miso is his one and only. While in HPL their bond is through the same passion: art, their childhood connection is not the reason that they are together now.

In WWWSK YJ chose to hide his identity for 9 years, sacrificing himself, so Mi So won't get hurt, but finally made a move coz he was not willing to loose her. In HPL nothing was kept secret for too long, when the pain from the past appear, they handled it together maturely. Between two dramas, there are vast differences in OTP characters and how they handled issues in their relationship.

I love HPL, but I also still love WWWSK (I love PSJ since One Warm Words). Both HPL and WWWSK in my opinion are good rom-com kdrama. And oh I also still loves Healer so much.

No wonder PMY, fastly agree to work in HPL right after WWWSK, because she was falling in love and cannot forget DM character. Here in HPL, Deok Mi is a bold girl who do not afraid to take the lead (Mi So is more pure, at one time she felt that YJ was moving too fast in their relationship). There are similarity between Deok Mi and Mi So, that they are a sweet cheerful girl who competent and professional in their job, but poor Mi So did not have a luxury of work-life balance, while Deok Mi does balance her work with her private life. I think PMY briliant in both roles.

Through her acting, I can see Young Shin, Mi So and Deok Mi as different personality. So kudos to her. PMY's acting shines more if she is paired with a co-star with a good acting skill (remember that trainwreck drama involving ever beautiful mr. Hand Towel_the most handsome of PMY's co-star_ where PMY's acting was wasted, and OTP was not believable). Ji Chang Wook, Park Seo Joon and Kim Jae Wook, all very handsome with good acting skill, so their collaboration with PMY are resulting in some of the best Kdrama OTP pairings, even initiate the fanwar between shippers. As for me, I'll be happy for PMY, whoever she chose as a real life partner.

• Like 19
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Although I like to think in an alternate universe, instead of "I'm Ryan Gold" KJW should have said "I'm effing Hedwig

LOL.. i was thinking like you too when i watch the lipstick scene.. it would be fun if the bts  can show us KJW jokingly said "Yahh... I'm KJW... I've done Hedwig role before!" :lol:

I think the shave scene is definitely an adlib..no need a script..KJW is trembling for real... probably afraid PMY will hurt his damn fine face..ekekekekkee

• Like 1
  • LOL 17

It was cliche and unrealistic.  Even more so when we threw in a death. But  I still cried anyway while scolding  the  writer.

Plus I was flabbergasted they sorted that out in ONE episode. And  not even a hint of a break up.

Pity my week is so busy,  i now have to catch  up on 6 episodes of last week's  dramas. So bye....

Why did I post? The OTP is good but how much is adlibbed? The couple  scenes were fanservice but the chemistry sparks elevated  it to insane levels  of voyeurism feels.

But the birthday fanservice? I seriously  laughed so much. The writer is just playing  with  the viewers secret fantasies  for the unobtainable, improbable  and zero possibility  of meeting their bias. And having them fawn  over  you  instead.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, extrodinairey said:

Truck of Doom made its presence. :joy:

I love this thread btw

I was wondering why Lee Sol was hit by a sedan of doom. Finally the truck of doom appear...:lol: It's k drama after all. At least watching Kdrama will always remind me to drive savely and be careful when crossing the street.

• LOL 11