[Drama 2019] Her Private Life 그녀의 사생활

larus

9 hours ago, mushforbrains said:

Wah...she is seriously playing with his ears.....lol...so cruel...given how red he is already.....

this woman knows how to tease:w00t:

So can some expert tell us why he was red each time he had skinship with PMY? Shy or what? <_<

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Hello everyone,

Still missing HPL! If anyone can recommend any other good K-drama, I'm all ears! :)

I wanted to discuss something that has been in my mind for a while.  Do you remember the episode where Ryan yells at Deok Mi for entering into his house without permission? I felt Ryan was not just angry, but very mean to Deok Mi. He insulted her for taking their fake relationship too seriously. Ryan was cruel because he attacked Deok Mi where he knew it would hurt most. At that point in time, he had already started to fall for her. But can you do that to someone you care for? Yes he apologized but I wish Deok Mi had not forgiven so easily. I wanted to see Ryan reflect more on what he insinuated and how that would be so disrespectful to Deok Mi when he was the one to offer to fake-date? I guess, a little angst of this kind would not have been all that bad! :)

What do you guys think?

42 minutes ago, niharika111 said:

Hello everyone,

Still missing HPL! If anyone can recommend any other good K-drama, I'm all ears! :)

I wanted to discuss something that has been in my mind for a while.  Do you remember the episode where Ryan yells at Deok Mi for entering into his house without permission? I felt Ryan was not just angry, but very mean to Deok Mi. He insulted her for taking their fake relationship too seriously. Ryan was cruel because he attacked Deok Mi where he knew it would hurt most. At that point in time, he had already started to fall for her. But can you do that to someone you care for? Yes he apologized but I wish Deok Mi had not forgiven so easily. I wanted to see Ryan reflect more on what he insinuated and how that would be so disrespectful to Deok Mi when he was the one to offer to fake-date? I guess, a little angst of this kind would not have been all that bad! :)

What do you guys think?

I think that Ryan always tried to hide his fragile child who was abandonned behind the image of a mature, arrogant and successful man. His nature was not arrogant (according to his attitude to children, old people and LGTB ) but he believed when he acted as an arrogant, people wouldn't see his weakness. only when people get closer to him (as Cheum's staff did from the middle of the show), they could see his kind-hearted side... Nobody, even his few friends as the doctor and Da In knew st about his private life and DM at that moment is just a colleague that he was protecting (feelings for her is just at the starting point). The fake-date at first was to cover DM's homosexual relationship in case Sian's fans stalked her (in his mind)

His secret is also his biggest trauma, to the point that caused his greatest loss of a talented artist: ability to paint. To a man who believed since his childhood that people only see his value in paintings, this ability is his pride and his identity. Nobody knew why he stopped drawing (except the doctor) and he told DM about it only when they are stabble in relationship later on. Imagine he rushed home to save his paintings from the water leak, and saw DM standing in the middle of his sacred secret that he never shared to anyone. We don't have to forget that he's American too, for them respecting one's privacy is very important and people must be allowed to enter someone's secret corner... I guess in one second he lost his mind and shouted at DM cruelly. I'm not sure that he got mad at her. For me it's more like he was shocked that his traumatic world was discovered when he was not ready to unveil it. 
That's why when it was over, he explain to DM that "I shouldn't have got angry at you. Just because I was lost for a moment" (it's translated like that in my language. Not sure in the english version it was the same). IMO, I think his reaction is totally reasonable, given that he was not a smooth-tongue guy right from the beginning.  

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

2 minutes ago, lighthearted said:

I think that Ryan always tried to hide his fragile child who was abandonned behind the image of a mature, arrogant and successful man. His nature was not arrogant (according to his attitude to children, old people and LGTB ) but he believed when he acted as an arrogant, people wouldn't see his weakness and only people get closer to him (as Cheum's staff did from the middle of the show), they could see his kind-hearted side... Nobody, even his few friends as the doctor and Da In knew st about his private life and DM at that moment is just a colleague that he was protecting (feelings for her is just at the starting point). The fake-date at first was to cover DM's homosexual relationship in case Sian's fans stalked her (in his mind)

His secret is also his biggest trauma, to the point that caused his greatest loss of a talented artist: ability to paint. To a man who believed since his childhood that people only see his value in paintings, this ability is his pride and his identity. Nobody knew why he stopped drawing (except the doctor) and he told DM about it only when they are stabble in relationship later on. Imagine he rushed home to save his paintings from the water leak, and saw DM standing in the middle of his sacred secret that he never shared to anyone. We don't have to forget that he's American too, for them respecting one's privacy is very important and people must be allowed to enter someone's secret corner... I guess in one second he lost his mind and shouted at DM cruelly. I'm not sure that he got mad at her. For me it's more like he was shocked that his traumatic world was discovered when he was not ready to unveil it. 
That's why when it was over, he explain to DM that "I shouldn't have got angry at you. Just because I was lost for a moment" (it's translated like that in my language. Not sure in the english version it was the same). IMO, I think his reaction is totally reasonable, given that he was not a smooth-tongue guy right from the beginning.  

I totally get what you are saying. He had all the reason to be mad at her. She did invade his safe haven, his private space.  I'm sure DM would have been upset as well if Ryan entered into her private space without permission.

But he wasn't just angry, he was cruel to her. He probably knew at that point that DM cared about him from the way she took care of him when he was drunk, but he threw that to her face and mocked her for taking their fake relationship for real.  His exact words were "Did you really want to play the role of somebody's girlfriend so bad?" That is so hurtful, especially to someone like DM who has been nothing but sweet to him after they sorted out their earlier issues. That is why I felt that DM forgave him too easily. He hurt her pride as a woman, almost making her sound too desperate. If I were her, I'm not sure if I could have forgiven so easily. I think it is in Deok Mi's character to be happy and forgive easily, but I wanted to see more of Ryan trying to make up to her for his abrasive behavior.

• Like 2

Yes the word is "cruel", and that's why I said for 1 second he lost his mind :).   Even a man over 30 can be mad in 1 second in his situation, I guess so. 

For me, I would question why DM came into his house when she is not his real girlfriend. We audience know that Ryan started to have feelings toward her but not DM. All she knew is that they are just fake-dating. She has to say sorry to him in this case and she did it. She might have wanted to save his paintings but a stranger is still a stranger. She cannot stand in the middle of his private place - it's more than his bedroom. That room  has the proof of  his weakness,  his disability to draw again and also his tangled mind because he himself didn't know why he lost his talent after looking at a mysterious painting) and expect him to say thank you without being surprised. Here he was not surprised, he was terrified because his closed world is intruded.

I don't know if it makes sense or not but I can understand that a child who didn't know why mom refused him and always felt lonely  in his world as Ryan cannot accept someone to walk into his world without permission. We can see he told DM little by little about his life when they were already in love, and not everything at the same time. DM needed to win his heart, make him feel comfortable and then trust her with all his heart... It's how a real relationship develops.One cannot give his heart to someone after 1 night, especially a child who didn't have the feeling of security during the childhood. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

DM technically invaded his privacy by entering into his secret room which was beyond the scope of investigating the leak...

So she should not have done that. 

So he was also asking why she thought she had the right to do that..

Also if it was something that he felt very vulnerable about ... he might lash out in the heat of anger...

It's a bit like telling your someone that you hate them etc if you are quarrelling or if they hit a sore spot...this happens even in family squabbles...

You hurt them because you feel vulnerable... and sometimes the words uttered can be downright cruel...

So I put it down to the heat of the moment...it doesn't make it right of course

With regards to his red ears... can't help you... must try to watch his other more mature dramas to see if he has red ears for all his scenes... can't find them on YT though...help anyone??

If no red ears... then we should camp at the other forum....:D

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, niharika111 said:

I totally get what you are saying. He had all the reason to be mad at her. She did invade his safe haven, his private space.  I'm sure DM would have been upset as well if Ryan entered into her private space without permission.

But he wasn't just angry, he was cruel to her. He probably knew at that point that DM cared about him from the way she took care of him when he was drunk, but he threw that to her face and mocked her for taking their fake relationship for real.  His exact words were "Did you really want to play the role of somebody's girlfriend so bad?" That is so hurtful, especially to someone like DM who has been nothing but sweet to him after they sorted out their earlier issues. That is why I felt that DM forgave him too easily. He hurt her pride as a woman, almost making her sound too desperate. If I were her, I'm not sure if I could have forgiven so easily. I think it is in Deok Mi's character to be happy and forgive easily, but I wanted to see more of Ryan trying to make up to her for his abrasive behavior.

Yes, he was cruel.

Why Deok Me forgave him so easily? We must take into account next scene. When Deokmi with EG and SJ, Deokmi said it her self, that at that moment she was more afraid that Saja will be dissapointed at her and hate her. She knew that her being in the studio room was wrong. She did know that Ryan didn't paint anymore and realised at that time that somehow that was connected to Lee Sol painting (she knows that he lied about buying Lee Sol painting for his client). She realized that did something that may be unvorgivable to Ryan, like uncovered his secret?.

So when she saw that Ryan chased her right away to her home, out of breath after running for fourth storeys high, she forgave him right away. She was relieved that Ryan did not hate her and dissapointed at her like she was afraid of. She even apologized her self.

Then take account two scenes unfold after that, when Ryan acted as full fake boyfriend mode right away. Thumb kiss to protect her from stalker Cindy and politely agreed to have dinner at her parents house. Those two acts, for me somehow, was Ryan's made it up to Deokmi. It was like, in his mind he said, I did said that did you really want to play somebody's girlfriend so bad. That must hurt you. But I regret what I do and I am sorry. So I really want to act as your "fake" boyfriend... so the bold move: the thumb kiss.

Even after that He dropped her at home and sincerely apologized again in his car.

In the later episodes, Deokmi herself, said that now that she understand Ryan more (after knowing all of Ryan secret), she owes him apologize for having entered his studio at that time...

• Like 7
  • Insightful 4

8 hours ago, niharika111 said:

Hello everyone,

I'm not currently watching any, but I have my eye on IU's upcoming "Hotel del Luna" (although I hear the correct phrase should be Hotel de Luna if it's Spanish?). I'll definitely give that a look come July 13th. :)

8 hours ago, niharika111 said:

What do you guys think?

Yes, I think some people can be intentionally cruel at certain moments to people they care for. I know it happens even between lovingly married people, family members, etc. When some people are hit in the deepest part of themselves that hurts the most, they can lash out in that moment and want to hurt the other person as much as they are hurting. Of course it's not a good thing, but I think it's a human thing. Looking back at that moment after having finished the drama, I actually appreciate it because at least there was a time that Ryan had understandable human faults. He was way too perfect after that, although I'll definitely take it as a counterbalance to how trashy 90% of K-drama male leads are (the figure is probably an exaggeration, but the point stands). :P

I saw the subbed Life Bar video where KJW talked about playing a murderer in Voice. (I love his interviews, even in print; he gives interesting answers.) I thought it was interesting, when he talked about how it took a toll on him and his "energy level" even when he wasn't on set. I wonder how he would describe filming HPL in a similar manner, like did it affect his energy level to play someone who was so in love?

Finally, here's a cute comparison of Seon Joo's fake-dating photo inspiration vs Ryan and Deokmi's eventual versions. :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 12

10 hours ago, lighthearted said:

So can some expert tell us why he was red each time he had skinship with PMY? Shy or what? 

@lighthearted I looked up blushing and I got this excerpt from an article written about blushing. It is not something that we can control. KJW is a superb actor and very believable in his character portrayal but he can't control his autonomic nervous system like everyone else. But it is cute since it gives a clue of what is really going on with him??  poor baby.... he is shy or excited or both? 

"Physical Causes of Blushing

According to Britain's National Health Service, blushing is caused by muscles in the blood vessels in the face that are controlled by the autonomic nervous system. The autonomic nervous system is not something that people consciously control. When the autonomic nervous system is overtaxed, it causes a slight swelling in these muscles and a slight reddening of the skin. There are many possible triggers for the autonomic nervous system, including emotional and physical stimuli. Some diseases, such as rosacea, can cause the long-term appearance of blushing. There is even a condition called erythrophobia, or the fear of blushing, which causes some individuals to blush even more in situations where they might blush.

Triggers for Blushing

In addition to medical conditions and physical attraction, blushing can be triggered by a variety of strong emotions including guilt, anger or embarrassment. It can also be caused by excitement of a non-sexual in nature. Beyond emotional triggers, heat, rapid changes in temperature, exercise and exertion can cause blushing. Certain foods can also trigger blushing. The list includes spicy foods, alcohol, hot drinks and anything that contains monosodium glutamate, or MSG, a common flavor enhancer in food."

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

55 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Finally, here's a cute comparison of Seon Joo's fake-dating photo inspiration vs Ryan and Deokmi's eventual versions. :D

:joy:  Do you guys remember RY's and DM's expression when SJ showed them these couple's  "concepts". Both of them looked like " Ew, No way. Who wants to imitate those cheesy couples?".  And then when it was their turn, they violated the single hearts  in Cheum. Those poor people :joy: got sore eyes almost everyday :naughty:

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

26 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

@lighthearted I looked up blushing and I got this excerpt from an article written about blushing. It is not something that we can control. KJW is a superb actor and very believable in his character portrayal but he can't control his autonomic nervous system like everyone else. But it is cute since it gives a clue of what is really going on with him??  poor baby.... he is shy or excited or both? 

"Physical Causes of Blushing

According to Britain's National Health Service, blushing is caused by muscles in the blood vessels in the face that are controlled by the autonomic nervous system. The autonomic nervous system is not something that people consciously control. When the autonomic nervous system is overtaxed, it causes a slight swelling in these muscles and a slight reddening of the skin. There are many possible triggers for the autonomic nervous system, including emotional and physical stimuli. Some diseases, such as rosacea, can cause the long-term appearance of blushing. There is even a condition called erythrophobia, or the fear of blushing, which causes some individuals to blush even more in situations where they might blush.

Triggers for Blushing

In addition to medical conditions and physical attraction, blushing can be triggered by a variety of strong emotions including guilt, anger or embarrassment. It can also be caused by excitement of a non-sexual in nature. Beyond emotional triggers, heat, rapid changes in temperature, exercise and exertion can cause blushing. Certain foods can also trigger blushing. The list includes spicy foods, alcohol, hot drinks and anything that contains monosodium glutamate, or MSG, a common flavor enhancer in food."

So I choose to believe in "emotional and physical stimuli."   :joy: . I saw his red ears in the scene he cried after telling Lee Sol he was HYJ and he was totally in his character's emotion. He was very touched and also make audience to be moved to tear.

So, yes, I guess "Emotion" is the key to solve the "red skin" problem. Your answer is just perfect for my delulu mind :wub:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

42 minutes ago, lighthearted said:

So I choose to believe in "emotional and physical stimuli."   :joy: . I saw his red ears in the scene he cried after telling Lee Sol he was HYJ and he was totally in his character's emotion. He was very touched and also make audience to be moved to tear.

So, yes, I guess "Emotion" is the key to solve the "red skin" problem. Your answer is just perfect for my delulu mind :wub:

True, now that I think about it, has nothing to do with shyness because he knows he is just too sexy and irrisistible when he said "do you want me" and no blushing there. So yeah it has to be the emotion and the physical nearness hehehe :blush:

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, lighthearted said:

:joy:  Do you guys remember RY's and DM's expression when SJ showed them these couple's  "concepts". Both of them looked like " Ew, No way. Who wants to imitate those cheesy couples?".  And then when it was their turn, they violated the single hearts  in Cheum. Those poor people :joy: got sore eyes almost everyday

Never saw a more "intimate" and "dangerous" scene in K drama....:sweat_smile: She practically put all of her "assets" onto his face and put him in a verge of death by Asphyxia....:skull:

• LOL 13

21 minutes ago, cenching said:

Never saw a more "intimate" and "dangerous" scene in K drama....:sweat_smile: She practically put all of her "assets" onto his face and put him in a verge of death by Asphyxia....:skull:

Let's say that even the three reluctant audience who witnessed that spectacle were also suffering from Asphyxia. That's why Cindy offered sugar bars to 2 others to balance their blood-pressure :joy: 

• LOL 9