[Drama 2019] Her Private Life 그녀의 사생활

larus

@cenching @bliss1004 
Is this the first time she reveals such a personel thought about her dramas' persona?

If it is, so it makes sense as you said before: She was not ready to let go DM because the character takes an important place in her mind. We could feel it in her farewell video. Being tired is obvious, but both PMY and KJW looked really sad and she even threw a quick glance on him to see how he was before standing up after taking the photo with the crew. 

I don't know if KJW feels the same about Ryan, but men's mind are  more often led by practical things than women's. He said farewell to HPL and Ryan right when the show finished. Men are too logical to distinguish between reality and delusion. Funny how HPL depicts this fact in ep9: DM wants to live more in delusion  by lengthen the fake date, and Ryan wants to end the fake one and start a real one. 

Each time I rewatch the videos of the romantic moments, I always ask myself how KJW and PMY would feel while watching them. It would be so hard for them to tell themselves: "No, this woman/man is not my lover. We were just acting". Of course they are professional actors, but to bewitch audience with their hyper real interactions just like a couple of pigeons, do their hearts flutter at all? 

My best dream right now is that KLW will knock her door and say: "I want to forget Ryan and Doekmi because they are not real. I want us to start our dating as KJW and PMY." :love:

• Like 17
  • Love 7

and am answering OOH OOH OOH HONEY:wub: ... ( lets see who can run fast enough into those arms ) :phew:

You can run fast into these arms :joy:

I can run faster than that into his delicious abs :mrgreen:

GIFMaker.org_fFlLd7.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 13

1 hour ago, JJChastity said:

I know how real the withdrawal can be. Here can only send you a virtual hug and kiss.

:kiss_wink:

I just watch any ongoing dramas although they don't excite me. Other than that I watch and rewatch many Kim Jae Wook's videos: movies, dramas, musics, variety shows, fanmeeting, dvd.

And browsing more articles about Kim Jae Wook and replay Her Private Life BTS.

so do I... :love:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ameera Ali said:

You can run fast into these arms :joy:

I can run faster than that into his delicious abs :mrgreen:

We are just vulnerable girls :tounge_xd:.  In KJW's abs we trust :phew: !
My husband used to have abs but recently he lose them after stopping running because o a knee injury. He told me now " Don't worry about my abs, I protect them under a little fat!" :joy:

• LOL 14

2 hours ago, lighthearted said:

I don't know if KJW feels the same about Ryan, but men's mind are  more often led by practical things than women's. He said farewell to HPL and Ryan right when the show finished. Men are too logical to distinguish between reality and delusion. Funny how HPL depicts this fact in ep9: DM wants to live more in delusion  by lengthen the fake date, and Ryan wants to end the fake one and start a real one.

Pretty sure Kim Jae-wook is done with being Ryan and has moved on. He's a method actor, and needs to shed his character quickly because otherwise it can be detrimental to health. Skilled actors know when to compartmentalise their acting and roles. He was exhausted at the wrap party, and I think his Instagram posts are pretty clear.

I can't speak for Park Min-young, but it seems she is ready to let go too. Maybe we should stop reading too much into their posts or we'll become like the other shipper thread.

• Like 14

I've seen it mentioned several times here, about KJW being a "method actor." Is this something he said so himself fairly recently? Does anyone have a link to such an interview? Google isn't turning anything up. :sweatingbullets:

I also would like to record my dissenting opinion on men being more practical and logical than women as a generalization. :D I think it is better to judge these things on an individual basis rather than generalizing it to the whole.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

We all love Ryan the Rom Com perfect lead guy .... he is the woke hero of romance

but I want to give credit to the unsung hero the silent friend/brother the 2nd lead who later gave up the idea of romancing Deokmi to remain the best of friends and brother= Eun Gi. 

Long ago when they were 6 or 7 years old, Deokmi had a younger brother Deoksu and Eungi the adopted child who is of the same age as Deokmi. The family picked up a little boy Heo Yeon Jae who was waiting for his mother at the playground but mom never arrived and the Sung family took Yeon Jae in. DM and Deoksu were being driven to the kindergarten when car accident occurred involving the car they were in and Deoksu died but DM lived. Deokmi and the whole family were traumatized especially Deok Mi whose mind chose to forget about the incidents. Devastated with the loss and also financially strapped DM's mom decided to leave Yeon Jae at the orphanage. After a month DM's mom went to back to take Yeon Jae but he was already adopted by American parents and brought to the US where his name was changed to Ryan Gold. Deokmi's mind protected herself by forgetting about the loss of Deoksu and Yeonjae but Eungi remembered. Eun Gi must have had a very hard time too. A 7 year old learning about death the loss of a younger brother and another young kid who lived temporarily with them who suddenly disappeared. On top of that Eun Gi was asked to keep  the death of Deoksu and loss of Yeon Jae a secret from the traumatized Deokmi because she had forgotten and Eungi took that responsibility seriously. It must have been hard for Eun Gi to understand that he can't share his pain and loss with the sister and he must have asked the adults. I have no idea what the adults told him including his mom but he must have understood that it was to protect DM so he kept the secret to himself all this time. We also learned later from their talks that EG once ran away from home because he did not want to go to school and gave up on being an athlete and told DM he was not family anyway. It was DM who looked for him and brought him back home and beat him for saying he was not family but he may have really felt that way at times.

Fast forward to the confrontation with Ryan when he said that there are things he as the closest friend of DM only knows about, he was not talking of only knowing DM's fangirling but something more personal and that he thinks could be more devastating or hurtful to DM and her love relationship if she suddenly remembers what she had forgotten. So, yes EG's behavior was not so likable and territorial but now we know why. He has held this secret to himself since he was 7 years old because he did not want to hurt his friend/sister. He said that he just realized how he felt about DM when DM started being attracted to another man. I now wonder if he mistook his concern for DM as liking her as a woman. Maybe his feelings were real but whatever unlikable behavior he did at the time trying to undermine DM's feelings for Ryan, he more than made up for it later. It was him who realized who Ryan was when he heard his Korean name is Heo Yeon Jae. He got his bio mom for support when they both told DM's parents who Ryan was. He was the one who talked and confirmed to Ryan who he was. When DM's parents finally talked to DM about Ryan and DM was upset he was the one who followed DM silently to her house and waited at the steps until the dad arrived to talk to DM and revealed and clarified evrything of what she had forgotten. DM and her mom reconciled and later she and EG had a long talk at the swing and put their relationship to where it had always been as best friends and  step siblings. I think that when he moved into DM's room when DM moved out he was trying to fulfill the obligation of the eldest son to remain in the house and take care of both bio and adoptive parents as they grow older. However, at a later talk with his mom, EG said that he was going to take out his savingsand live with mom, probably buy a place of his own? Hyeon Jae is now the elder son in law who will take the responsibility of taking care of the parents and EG concentrates of taking care of his mom. There are times when silver is more useful than gold. Here is to EG. Cheers and much of luck with Cindy.

Credits to the other characters:

As for Director EOM chaebol re: EG and Cindy, I won't be too worried about her. First of all, Cindy's second parents is also EG's adoptive parents and DM the VC Director of Cheum Museum and is Ryan the golden boy of art's fiancee who is the brother of Si An whom Director EOM is now fangirling on. I think they will all support EG and will EOM win against her daughter? DM and Seon Jo will be so surprised to learn who EG's girlfriend is. Yeah and SJ is the chaebol best friend and will support EG too and together with husband and Gun Woo. 

Curator Kyunga and Yeosup the best coworkers and subordinates and loyalty to Ryan and DM. Best ending for all.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I've seen it mentioned several times here, about KJW being a "method actor." Is this something he said so himself fairly recently? Does anyone have a link to such an interview? Google isn't turning anything up. :sweatingbullets:

I also would like to record my dissenting opinion on men being more practical and logical than women as a generalization. :D I think it is better to judge these things on an individual basis rather than generalizing it to the whole.

It's alright and you are welcome. I know when it comes to sexist themes, things become more sensitve. I understand especially when I'm living in a world where the 3rd wave of feminisism resonates in all directions. I respect all the opinions and also consider them from my own perspectives. I don't idealise anything and keep observing things by my own eyes and say my opinions - as well as never claim that my opinions are always right. Luckily internet is not a totalitarian regime and personal views are not controlled. I also want to say that my phrase doesn't carry a negative persective towards women at all. 

• Like 2

I'm glad kjw took on this project and regarding method acting...it was a statement in passing at the life bar

He worked for free at a trans bar to get into character for hedwig.

So to expose himself n live the life so that he can develop the  delicate nuances...

That was my. Take

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I don't think KJW has literally said he is a method actor, but he does put a lot of work and research into becoming his character. He spoke about working at a transgender bar to prepare for Hedwig and going to gay bars for his role in Antique Bakery when he was on Life Bar with Jo Jung Suk: 

So while he may not method act in the completely technical sense (otherwise Mo Tae Gu would be very problematic!), he does seem to try and fully embody his characters. A few blogs here and there do refer to this, but they are not expert sources on acting techniques. In any event, I can imagine that being Ryan for three months and falling in love with Deok Mi may very well require a shedding of the character in order to return to real life.

My two cents because none of us can truly know what he or PMY is experiencing. :)

• Like 10

@mushforbrains & @jd50, thanks for your inputs. I tried to read up on what method acting was on the internets and I don't get it, haha. :sweatingbullets: Wikipedia did say that "A widespread misconception about method acting—particularly in the popular media—equates method actors with actors who choose to remain in character even offstage or off-camera for the duration of a project. [citation needed]" It doesn't seem like he stays in character off-camera at least. And yes, I think it's best to keep in mind that we'll never  know what they really feel, and that our interpretations are based on our own experiences, which may not be the same for them. :)

ETA: Timely article from Soompi on suggestions for what to watch after HPL: :D

Park Min Young, Perfect Boyfriends, And More: What To Watch After “Her Private Life”

• Like 6

It didn’t take long for us to get sucked into the world of fangirling, White Ocean, and Ryan Gold. “Her Private Life” has been the series that has been setting the standard for “perfect guy” VERY high. On top of that, we had the beautiful Park Min Young and the very handsome second-male lead Ahn Bo Hyun. With all these amazing things about the series, it’s no wonder why we’re so down now that the series is over. If you’re wondering which K-dramas to watch next to fill that empty void in your heart, here are a few suggestions based on the things we loved about “Her Private Life.”

1. Park Min Young in all her glory

It’s pretty much official. Any series that Park Min Young stars in is guaranteed to be a hit. You can call it luck or you can call it having a good sense of knowing a good script when she’s offered one, but regardless, she’s a gem. She not only picks amazing roles, but she really nails the characters with her amazing acting skills! If you’re looking for another dose of Park Min Young, here are a couple of suggestions.

Spoiler

City Hunter

Park Min Young stars alongside Lee Min Ho in this action-packed romance about a trained fighter who is under the disguise on an IT expert in the Blue House. He eventually meets and falls in love with a bodyguard named Kim Na Na (Park Min Young), who also works at the Blue House. The two come to work together to get revenge.

Park Min Young is gold in any role. She’s got so many charms and abilities to make any character come to life. In “City Hunter,” she’s able to pull off being a tough bodyguard while also being a lovable female lead.

park-min-young1.gif

The story is also amazing at keeping you wanting to watch the next episode. It’s got the perfect balance of action and romance!

city-hunter1.jpg

Sungkyunkwan Scandal

Another classic K-drama that stars our beautiful Park Min Young is “Sungkyunkwan Scandal.” This classic sageuk tells the story of a brilliant and beautiful woman named Kim Yoon Hee (Park Min Young) who disguises herself as a man to take an exam at Sungkyunkwan University. Her father had passed away and she takes it upon herself to become successful.

park-min-young9.jpg

Park Min Young is superb in this series as Kim Yoon Hee. She’s younger in this particular series and you can really see her shine in this role. It also takes quite the beauty to be able to pull off traditional men’s clothing!

park-min-young10.jpg

park-min-young11.jpg

2. Kim Jae Wook’s serious acting skills

If you’re a serious K-drama fan, you know of a lot of the eclectic roles that Kim Jae Wook took on throughout his acting career. He hasn’t always been the male lead and he hasn’t always taken on rom-coms, which is why his role in “Her Private Life” is so special.

kim-jae-wook4.jpg

Spoiler

Voice

If you really want to see Kim Jae Wook’s acting capabilities, his role as the psychopath Mo Tae Goo in the action-packed “Voice” is definitely one that can’t be missed. What made his performance so bone-chilling was just how handsome and charismatic a serial killer could actually be.

kim-jae-wook1.gif

His performance will send chills down your spine. I mean, just look at this scene:

Degree of Love

How can we forget his role as the second-lead who wore his heart on his sleeve, Park Jung Woo? If you’re looking for something a bit more light-hearted and not so scary, then you should see him in this role!

kim-jae-wook5.jpg

Degree of Love” stars Seo Hyun Jin and Yang Se Jong in a story about a chef who falls in love with a writer. It’s a sweet little tale about love at first sight, and if you’re into romantic second-leads, then this series is right up your alley. But this drama is also great if you want to see Kim Jae Wook as the totally swoon-worthy Jung Woo.

kim-jae-wook3.gif

You can really sense the love he has for Lee Hyun Soo (Seo Hyun Jin) and you can also see the charm she sees in him despite the fact that her heart lies with someone else. He exudes so much charm that you’ll be wondering why Hyun Soo isn’t going for Jung Woo.

kim-jae-wook2.gif

ETA: Oops, I didn't realize the link was already posted above. Oh well! :sweat_smile:

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

I love your comments and thoughts about "method acting" guys! I will share a link that describe about method acting. At first I thought "method acting" is when the actor live in their character even when camera is not rolling. Such as Daniel Day Lewis when he didn't want to be him (Lewis) when he filmed Lincoln. So when camera was not rolling Lewis still talked like how Lincoln talks (with precise mannerism). 

I found this. 

https://filmschoolrejects.com/method-acting-explained-2dc3d73eeba6/

So, I think KJW already did "method acting" for his projects Hedwig and Antique Bakery. For Mo Tae Gu character he went to a psychologist several times to find a proper characteristic and mannerism of a psychopath. He used Christian Bale character in American Psycho (Patrick Bateman) as references. He did research when he played as Priest Mateo in The Guest. Months before The Guest filming, he came to Philippines and interviewed the priest who does exorcism. 

Not many actors use this technique because it needs a lot of energy, time and concentration. 

• Like 6
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 4

I seriously have a difficult time to move on from HPL :tears:. I keep checking any posts related to HPL and the casts. I'm now listening to Lee Hae-Ri's Maybe while typing this. 

I was hoping to see the casts and the director to do post-drama interview but I guess we won't be getting it since now is already Thursday. I'm eager to know who is the one who thought of pairing KJW and PMY together because she/he shall be blessed for that good idea :wub:.

PMY is definitely the first choice of the female lead because she was cast first in December while KJW was cast at the end of January. For KJW's previous role as a priest in The Guest, the director already decided the role is definitely for HIM since beginning which means he never had other actor in mind except KJW.  Hence, I was curious to know whether HPL team already decided to choose him at the first place or did it after consideration of few actors for the male lead. 

Hope KJW won't take too long to come back with a new project. As for PMY, she will be back with Busted season 2 so it's good to see her again soon.

• Like 9

@TripleNa If I remember correctly, there was no news about casting offer to someone else but KJW for the male lead...so he was probably the first choice. 

Actually I'm curious on why he finally decided to take this role, particularly after I heard he rejected offers for male lead prior to this project. After seeing how the drama progresses, I assume that he took the role because Ryan is not a typical romcom male lead. I remember seeing one comment about him being typically arrogant jerk at the first episode...but even then, I thought the fact that he's berating himself for being biased against DM and SJ's sexuality was very new for standard K-drama. His character also becomes more layered as he's actually a very soft cinnamon roll and has no qualms in showing his vulnerability. And KJW did very awesome job in portraying all of those...

For his next project, somehow I feel that he won't be taking another romcom right away or even as a male lead...it doesn't feel like him hahaha. I wish he'd take up a musical project next (HEDWIG PLEASE LOL)...cuz musical is the only project where we can see him often :p

As for them shedding their roles...for me, they're both professional actors who know what to do with their characters and projects. I agree that they are both humans before actors who also can feel things beyond their supposed-roles...but I think they'd handle it well. Nevertheless, I'd support them both as individual actor cuz they're simply awesome actors :)

EDITED: regarding method acting, I can't add much but...

For Hedwig, KJW took the role at the same time with Kim Dongwan (as suggested by my username, I'm a Shinhwa fan)...I remember during that time, KDW also said that Hedwig was particularly difficult role to play so he did a lot of research on how to play the role properly. After the project, he also said that it was difficult for him to shed some of Hedwig's mannerism, so that he often crosses his leg automatically in a very Hedwig-way after some time have passed LMAO. To conclude, for some actors, like KJW and KDW, they did proper and thorough research on their roles to be able to portray the characters properly, down to the gestures and mannerisms...to the extent that they needed some time to completely shed off the role from their daily lives. In order to shed the role, they'd take a very different role for the next project...which both usually did after their projects. It might also be done to avoid being typecast to certain roles. I don't think KJW (and KDW) has ever taken similar roles twice and back-to-back...(also why KDW never reprised his role as Hedwig).

• Like 2
  • Love 6
  • Thanks 1

Other than Method Acting that we have been discussing, is there other systematic way for acting skills?

I always very curious how could they simply cry on the spot, do they totally immense with the character situation to present their emotions or they simply pull in their life experiences to feel it? 

Some roles will definitely required more research as the actors need to understand the character profession and mindset when they portray for the roles so that they could devise a charismatic role that the audience would remember vividly.

Like, PMY mention, she also did her research of a fangirl by consulting her sister, and then she would devise her own fangirl char. One thing that the drama did not shows more how a fangirl would do more, e.g. participating in whatever website votings, purchase your bias CF products etc. For sure, she would not stalk or hang around her bias after their events, this is consider as a healthy fangirl.

Edited by SGahjumma
  • Like 4

Ie during that time...he is in love with DM...and so remains in role throughout which is why bts remains so lovely n heart fluttering...

Which is why I ship them but also take into acct that they remain in their roles etc

I suspect that's why he took on this role because it wasn't entirely a typical romcom lead...he engages on multiple levels and the role was more 3d

He subverts all the tropes

• Like 9

1 hour ago, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

Actually I'm curious on why he finally decided to take this role, particularly after I heard he rejected offers for male lead prior to this project. After seeing how the drama progresses, I assume that he took the role because Ryan is not a typical romcom male lead. I remember seeing one comment about him being typically arrogant jerk at the first episode...but even then, I thought the fact that he's berating himself for being biased against DM and SJ's sexuality was very new for standard K-drama. His character also becomes more layered as he's actually a very soft cinnamon roll and has no qualms in showing his vulnerability. And KJW did very awesome job in portraying all of those...

I think Kim Jae-wook said in an interview that he had received feedback that people were afraid to watch his dramas because of the intense roles he tends to take, so he was a bit upset. He was just thinking about taking on something lighter when the offer for Ryan Gold came along. I would assume he read the initial scripts and thought Ryan was different from the usual alpha male jerks, and decided to do it. Besides, he'd never done a rom-com lead, so it was a challenge for him as well, and he likes challenges. I would say he's risen superbly to this one.

As for his next project, I also think he won't take on another rom-com or even lead role - he's said before that he doesn't mind the size of the role so long as he can be of use to the drama. I like that about him. I hope he gets a solid film role.

Edit: I appreciate all this talk about method acting, it's been interesting to read the various posts and I'm glad people are understanding it more. I think it is important to appreciate the fact that the bulk of the things actors do for a drama are in relation to promoting the drama to viewers. This includes BTS videos, posts, photos, etc, where actors are in character for a lot of the things they do.

• Like 14

47 minutes ago, Aziraphale said:

Edit: I appreciate all this talk about method acting, it's been interesting to read the various posts and I'm glad people are understanding it more. I think it is important to appreciate the fact that the bulk of the things actors do for a drama are in relation to promoting the drama to viewers. This includes BTS videos, posts, photos, etc, where actors are in character for a lot of the things they do.

This also brings to my mind how actors (and directors) usually call each other by their character names instead of their actual names while on set, even when the cameras aren't rolling.

Here are a couple of tidbits from ABH's Vlive yesterday translated from The Kdramaholic (they said they're going to translate more upon rewatch). If you thought Geun Woo couldn't be any cuter...:D

Edit: Dramabeans featured KJW in their Actor Spotlight article:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/06/actor-spotlight-kim-jae-wook/

• Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1