[Drama 2019] Her Private Life 그녀의 사생활

larus

Hello! Is that true that Studio Dragon has decided not to launch HPL PD cut DVD? 

p.s I am so totally into this drama and fall so deep for this couple. And since this drama will end soon, I need some place to hold on, thats why I created an account :sweatingbullets:

• Like 3

The painting that RG drew of DM reminds me of this artist’s work! The artist is a Korean American who acted as the main character’s brother in the movie, “Searching,” starring John Cho. I love his style of painting portraits so I was delighted to see something similar when RG revealed it! 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bliss1004 said:

I've already told yall that we need to trust the writer.. the writer didn't drag the whole issue until Ep 16 is definitely a wise script..

As usual, RG once again shown is his matured character to understand the whole situation without being typical kdrama male lead character.. I'm so proud of RG!!. All conflict between him and DM's family solved in this episode..

I really love the scene where RG wiped off DM tears..I was hoping this scene to happen...and once again, i really love the writer and pdnim for showing us the scene. You all know that we only watched the BTS of KJW wiped off PMY tears a few times, not in the drama. But now, I'm glad that Director decided to put this scene in the drama :D

KJW shi!! I hope you will play more rom com drama that will make us goes crazy like what you did in this drama..Looking forward to see again your hand in the pocket scene in your future drama..because that hand in the pocket scene is definitely KJW, not RG :lol:

Hide contents

i have this feelings that KJW next drama gonna be SBS drama. This SBS suddenly uploaded a lot of KJW scene in Bad Guy drama...i guess SBS staff also goes crazy over KJW after watching HPL :w00t:

Did sbs really upload his videos? I wanna watch. Could you please share the link. Thanks 

• Like 4

In defence of childhood fated romance. (This is pretty long)

I’ve been thinking about this for a couple of years—why fated childhood romance in kdramas is a trope and whether it is a good or bad trope. 

I think HPL is as good a place as any since there seems to be backlash from more than one thread on soompi about it. 

Firstly. Fated romances are NOTHING NEW. They are a fixture in literature going back hundreds of years. Fated childhood romances follow the same path (Wuthering Heights). And they happen in real life too. My grand parents met when my grandmother was 7 and my grandfather was 14. He teased her and they didn’t see each other for almost 20years before meeting again and getting married. Only she remembered their meeting. 

The reason it is an effective trope (even if over used) is that it cements the otp and basically makes up for any problems or inequalities in the relationship. A great example is She Was Pretty where there were significant inequalities in the relationship (she loved him from the get go and he only really loved her because of a childhood memory). The same with childhood trauma; it is a shortcut to explain how quickly a couple bonds/falls in love (no 16-20 episode drama has enough time to do this realistically). 

The reason it works (imo) for HPL and a few other dramas is that the relationship is already v well balanced. They love each other equally, have good communication, and are able to understand the difference between childhood memory and adult, loved reality. What bonded deok-mi and yoon-jae from the beginning was their relationship with art and how they dealt with not being able to paint. They don’t have inequalities because the foundation for the relationship was built without it. 

TBH the childhood trauma and connection is (again imo) simply a means for Lee Sol to not have abandoned Yoon-Jae. It is why we don’t get the revelation until episode 15 when normally it would come out in 13 had require a longer resolution.  Ok so why mom? Basically she has been portrayed as pretty much the perfect mother. She took in Eun-gi and cindy without any questions, showered them with love. a pretty 2d character. Really this is *her* trauma (with yoon-jae) rather than deok-mi’s. She starts off taking him in, no questions asked but it becomes too much (emotional and financial). It shows that she is capable of doing something wrong and not always being the perfect mother. As to her dropping him off in the middle of the night, I think it is meant to be symbolic of the darkest point in her and yoon-Jae’s lives. 

So the role of the childhood trauma and connection was and is not intended to be about *their* (dm and yj) relationship but about creating depth for mom and not having lee sol abandon yoon-jae. 

Deok-su is a plot device—kinda sucks to put it that way. Without him, deok-mi wouldn’t have suppressed her memories. There needed to be a *reason* that they didn’t remember each other. Basically he made it possible for my above argument. DM and YJ got to build a relationship *without* half-memories of each other. Unlike other dramas with fated childhood loves (He is Psychometric) there are no memories for them to build on. Giving DM an equal trauma puts them back on a level playing field where they can support each other without inequalities. Ok it is contrived but so is *all* fiction.

As an added thought. They would not have cast such BRILLIANT actresses as mom and lee sol if the fated-childhood trope was meant to be a cheap trick. Both of them had to express regret and love for what happened—for *their* actions. Which takes the responsibility on their shoulders rather than yj and dm. 

Ok. All finished. Though I might expand later if I have more thoughts.

• Like 11
  • Insightful 9
  • Thanks 2

What a beautiful episode.... Many thanks to all the recappers . 

I live for all of kJW tiny facial expression...its always so on point .Not to forget PMY's too.....I doff my hat to both of them,they made love so easy and I love the way they love each other (if that makes sense).

PMY easily portrays the contentment a woman shows when she loves and she is equally loved back( easily portrayed in the morning after pillow talk) ,if this is how true love is like , I want some please:wub:

This drama has everything I have always wanted in a romantic comedy and I am so gonna miss it. Wish them both the best in all future project and KJW should please not stay away for too long ,he should ride on this wave and strike the iron while its hot.

How wonderful would it be if Mr and Mrs smith can be turned into a drama and they are both casted in it.........heavenly

• Like 17

Thank you all once again for the fast recaps, screencaps, gifs and insights on Ep15. I haven’t watched it yet but I’m glad our beloved couple came out unscathed from the whole ordeal. Now we can look forward to more enjoyable things for the finale. 

@tinymel I liked your view on the whole childhood trope. It’s a different take and a fresh perspective. 

I really don’t have big issue with all the tropes. Probably because I’m an easy to please viewer or perhaps because of the actors’ portrayal or I read the rom-com manual so I know how to manage my expectations...lol. But seriously all these tropes won’t take away the enjoyment I got from watching our couple develop and nurture their love. Arm-chair critics can tear apart the plot all they want but at the end of the day, it’s hard to deny HPL has provided one of the best couple in kdrama. 

• Like 7
  • Love 5

8 minutes ago, Ramenqueen19 said:

No matter how boring the tropes or how they overdid PPL in this drama, my love for it and the couple doesn’t change!!

I am with you on this. Love love  this drama. 

• Like 3

One more episode left! I’m happy that everything is straight with everything, and I am not really looking forward to any more out of the blue revelations or big story moments in this last episode, just let 's RG and DM enjoy their moments together:wub: Saddest part of being a kdrama fan is to see one of your favorite kdrama come to an end.

u7u0nbsxcv5d.gif

ceg9fst3esq0.gif

Spoiler

57xhrbl6u3ff.gif

vei3rtq975yw.gif

DC

• Like 13
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

@luvcrabbieshinhwa

I loved your post.  I could not agree with you more.  I enjoyed this drama because the couple acted as normal adults would.  I hope other writers take a page out of this writer's book.  This is how an adult relationship should look.  

... the skinships... I know many people who watch this drama complain it's too fluffy, cringe-worthy, too much, etc... BUT THIS DRAMA IS A ROMCOM...IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FLUFFEEYYYY. And for me, the leads did not overdo it. They did what normal couples do and still within boundaries for their status as employee and boss if they're at the gallery... (GOD IF YOU KNOW THE PDA LEVEL OF ACTUAL KOREAN COUPLES IN PUBLIC SPACES...THAT IS CRINGE-WORTHY). They're over 30s anyway...what do you expect? Spazzing over holding hands and kiss only once a month? =)))))))

Thank you, thank you and thank you again, what couple over thirty only hold hands and act as if they don't know what intimate relations are?  I remember as an adult, (not yet 30) when love as new, I just had to touch him or be touched by the him.  I remember my boyfriend, even when he was driving had to touch me, we just needed to touch and feel connected.   

• Overall plot and conflict

Some might argue that the plot is thin and predictable and resolved too easily and quickly. To some extent, I agree. Ryan's psychological trauma is kinda huge...but it resolves so quickly with an astonishing level of understanding and mere apology from Ryan himself. We still don't know what actually happened and how many time have passed since her accident so that Lee Sol couldn't find Ryan...how much effort did she even put to find him. 

I think Ryan could forgave his mother once he understood why she left him.  He was adopted by loving parents and did not have a hard life.  Perhaps his life was better, because he was adopted.  When Ryan was left at the playground, (although it is clear that his mother loved him and would have never abandoned him), his mother was struggling to put food on the table.  Ryan could also feel that she was sincere in searching for him.  As an adult, why be angry when you find out the reason the person did not show up was because they were in a serious accident.  If anything you feel relief that that person is still alive. 

This writer nailed the script.  I have such high praise for the writer.  

Thank you again for your post.  It expressed everything I was feeling about this drama.  Great insight.

I just thought about it, both of them will go to the USA, DM will probably study, however, RG must to introduce her to his adopted parents, before there is a wedding.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

@luvcrabbieshinhwa

I loved your post.  I could not agree with you more.  I enjoyed this drama because the couple acted as normal adults would.  I hope other writers take a page out of this writer's book.  This is how an adult relationship should look.  

... the skinships... I know many people who watch this drama complain it's too fluffy, cringe-worthy, too much, etc... BUT THIS DRAMA IS A ROMCOM...IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FLUFFEEYYYY. And for me, the leads did not overdo it. They did what normal couples do and still within boundaries for their status as employee and boss if they're at the gallery... (GOD IF YOU KNOW THE PDA LEVEL OF ACTUAL KOREAN COUPLES IN PUBLIC SPACES...THAT IS CRINGE-WORTHY). They're over 30s anyway...what do you expect? Spazzing over holding hands and kiss only once a month? =)))))))

Thank you, thank you and thank you again, what couple over thirty only hold hands and act as if they don't know what intimate relations are?  I remember as an adult, (not yet 30) when love as new, I just had to touch him or be touched by the him.  I remember my boyfriend, even when he was driving had to touch me, we just needed to touch and feel connected.   

• Overall plot and conflict

Some might argue that the plot is thin and predictable and resolved too easily and quickly. To some extent, I agree. Ryan's psychological trauma is kinda huge...but it resolves so quickly with an astonishing level of understanding and mere apology from Ryan himself. We still don't know what actually happened and how many time have passed since her accident so that Lee Sol couldn't find Ryan...how much effort did she even put to find him. 

I think Ryan could forgave his mother once he understood why she left him.  He was adopted by loving parents and did not have a hard life.  Perhaps his life was better, because he was adopted.  When Ryan was left at the playground, (although it is clear that his mother loved him and would have never abandoned him), his mother was struggling to put food on the table.  Ryan could also feel that she was sincere in searching for him.  As an adult, why be angry when you find out the reason the person did not show up was because they were in a serious accident.  If anything you feel relief that that person is still alive. 

This writer nailed the script.  I have such high praise for the writer.  

Thank you again for your post.  It expressed everything I was feeling about this drama.  Great insight.

I agree with you on your points. Yup, being in relationship when you are in your 30s is different when you are in your teens or early 20s. When you are young, you have the tendency and urge to explore everything. You want to compete being PDA the most if possible. You want to show everyone you have a boyfriend. That’s normal as you are still young and in exploring phase. 

But whe you are in 30s, having a boyfriend/girlfriend is more like having companion and/or best friend. I don’t know about you guys but me personally I prefer subtle gestures like forehead kiss, holding hands, lying on the shoulders. It feels more genuine and more assurance in it. 

And just like normal matured couples are, they don’t do PDA in front of others that much. They just hold hands and being professional at work. Their intimate scenes are more private to themselves. That’s why they only kiss when they are alone. 

Maybe the writer didn’t dwell it so much so it looks like the way the issue is handled too quickly but to me it’s not. I agree with you that Ryan is raised with full of love by his adoptive parents. He parents never once told him that he was abandoned. His parents always reminded him that his birth mother loves him that is why he didn’t have resentment towards his mother or the one who left him in the orphanage (DM mom). 

We also needs to remember that Ryan wants to find his mother not because to blame her or anything he just wants to get his missing memories and to draw again. So when he easily understands DM mom circumstances and be able to qccept is not to rush of a choice to me. He is being Ryan. Rational and understanding. He doesn’t judge people. 

It’s not he already overcome his trauma. He still slowly overcoming it. He admitted to DM that his hands are still trembling but he tries his best to draw again. 

This writer didn’t want to wate time to esplain something in few scenes, she just explains itvin few words during conversations. She’s saving the airtime for more important stuffs. 

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2

So here's the kneitz response:

[Her Private Life] Ep 15 spoilers, Park Min Young & Kim Jae Wook

private.png
Spoiler

life.png

Article: Naver 'Her Private Life' "More precious than paintings" Kim Jae Wook forgives Kim Mi Kyung  Park Min Young's portrait as a gift  

1. [+545,-19]
Ryan~ His soft eyes, gestures, the way he speaks.. and even his every move, everything about him is so sweet.. Kim Jae Wook is getting his title of the romcom king from this drama. 

2. [+319,-52]
I really hope Park Min Young and Kim Jae Wook date in real life... They are born in '83, and '86, even their age difference shows their chemistry as a couple. ♡ I really like them^^ To add, that lion brat. ㅜㅜ I'm a man, but I think I'm falling for him too. ㅜㅜ
- [+53,-2]
I'm not sure if the two really have feelings for each other... But I think this is too delusional and burdensome for them. 

3. [+220,-7]
I'm currently bewitched by Kim Jae Wook. ㅜㅜ To think it's the final episode tomorrow, what a pity. ㅜㅜㅜ

4. [+193,-4]
I was afraid of Deok Mi having some other ideas, but she's a really pretty character. I hope she leads a happy life together with gold lion. 

5. [+73,-1]
For me, Uhm. So. Hye was so funny today. ㅋㅋ Deok Mi's father has the most lines in this episode too. ㅋㅋ Their acting are really natural and good~~

6. [+70,-3]
Kim Jae Wook is really sweet. Let's do lots of romcoms~~

7. [+47,-2]
Ah~ What should I do with Kim Jae Wook's corrupted beauty that's overflowing? ㅠㅠ He's just too cool. ㅠㅠ

8. [+46,-3]
He's perfect... Ryan-nim.

Spoiler

park.png

Article: Naver 'Her Private Life' Park Min Young discovers Kim Mi Kyung had sent Kim Jae Wook to the orphanage in the past 'shocked'

1. [+51,-3]
I was hit by Kim Jae Wook multple times today. ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

2. [+33,-0]
I had tears and mucus all flowing out today. ㅠㅠㅠ There is no drama with Kim Mi Kyung sunbaenim as a mother that doesn't make me tear up. ㅠㅠㅠ Park Min Young cried when she saw the picture of Deok Soo today. ㅠㅠㅠ Anyway, my eyes are swollen now. Take responsibility!! 

3. [+18,-2]
These days, it's a trend to have the leads meet as children and meet again when they grow up. Not sure why are all the scriptwriters writing it this way. And it's too unrealistic, even if it's fantasy, don't turn it into a makjang. 

4. [+18,-2]
The script was written cleanly. I like it~~

5. [+6,-0]
They should hand him over to the police station. Why did they raise him for a month???

6. [+6,-1]
They found him pitiful and they wanted to raise him like what they did with Eun Gi, but their circumstances changed all of a sudden, that's perhaps why they took him to the orphanage... They thought Yoon Jae was a kid abandoned by his parents, which is why they sent him to the orphanage instead of going to the police station. Could it be that way?

7. [+5,-0]
But... Ever since the past was revealed, but leads' perspectives and Park Min Young's previous drama 'What's Wrong With Secretary Kim' kept overlapping with this drama. The only difference is that the male lead isn't a chaebol, but it's too similar.... The fangirling part was just to help the story develop. Even if it's switched with 'What's Wrong With Secretary Kim', there'd be not much of a difference... 

8. [+16,-14]
Scriptwriter, please write it realistically. Why are you writing things that don't make sense at all? What's this? Is this makjang? You should write something that's relatable. 

9. [+1,-0]
That isn't ill-fate. They had no choice to do that back then. 

cr. melowah

Love the positive vibes - KJW is PERFECT to being a rom com King betwitching many fans. Was the first few comments from this thread lol!  :lol:

The negatives - I think Kneitz gotta realise this script was based on a webtoon thus the plotline was fixed. Scriptwriter cannot change too much of it. The fact that the leads had a childhood connection was already set in stone. Cliche but still cute - Im a sucker for it esp when they look this cute. :heart:

D7wX-PiV4AAI1_u.jpg Though I agree DM mother cared for young YJ for 1 month before leaving him at the orphanage. Even if she circumstances change it was so out of character for her. It shouldve been written handled better. Maybe she did try to find Ryan's mother but failed and had no other option... or maybe Ryan reminded her too much of her own lil son and she couldnt bear the heartbreak :cold_sweat:.  I need to watch the sub eps to understand it more 

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

So here's the kneitz response:

[Her Private Life] Ep 15 spoilers, Park Min Young & Kim Jae Wook

Hide contents

Article: Naver 'Her Private Life' "More precious than paintings" Kim Jae Wook forgives Kim Mi Kyung  Park Min Young's portrait as a gift  

1. [+545,-19]
Ryan~ His soft eyes, gestures, the way he speaks.. and even his every move, everything about him is so sweet.. Kim Jae Wook is getting his title of the romcom king from this drama. 

2. [+319,-52]
I really hope Park Min Young and Kim Jae Wook date in real life... They are born in '83, and '86, even their age difference shows their chemistry as a couple. ♡ I really like them^^ To add, that lion brat. ㅜㅜ I'm a man, but I think I'm falling for him too. ㅜㅜ
- [+53,-2]
I'm not sure if the two really have feelings for each other... But I think this is too delusional and burdensome for them. 

3. [+220,-7]
I'm currently bewitched by Kim Jae Wook. ㅜㅜ To think it's the final episode tomorrow, what a pity. ㅜㅜㅜ

4. [+193,-4]
I was afraid of Deok Mi having some other ideas, but she's a really pretty character. I hope she leads a happy life together with gold lion. 

5. [+73,-1]
For me, Uhm. So. Hye was so funny today. ㅋㅋ Deok Mi's father has the most lines in this episode too. ㅋㅋ Their acting are really natural and good~~

6. [+70,-3]
Kim Jae Wook is really sweet. Let's do lots of romcoms~~

7. [+47,-2]
Ah~ What should I do with Kim Jae Wook's corrupted beauty that's overflowing? ㅠㅠ He's just too cool. ㅠㅠ

8. [+46,-3]
He's perfect... Ryan-nim.

Reveal hidden contents

park.png

Article: Naver 'Her Private Life' Park Min Young discovers Kim Mi Kyung had sent Kim Jae Wook to the orphanage in the past 'shocked'

1. [+51,-3]
I was hit by Kim Jae Wook multple times today. ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

2. [+33,-0]
I had tears and mucus all flowing out today. ㅠㅠㅠ There is no drama with Kim Mi Kyung sunbaenim as a mother that doesn't make me tear up. ㅠㅠㅠ Park Min Young cried when she saw the picture of Deok Soo today. ㅠㅠㅠ Anyway, my eyes are swollen now. Take responsibility!! 

3. [+18,-2]
These days, it's a trend to have the leads meet as children and meet again when they grow up. Not sure why are all the scriptwriters writing it this way. And it's too unrealistic, even if it's fantasy, don't turn it into a makjang. 

4. [+18,-2]
The script was written cleanly. I like it~~

5. [+6,-0]
They should hand him over to the police station. Why did they raise him for a month???

6. [+6,-1]
They found him pitiful and they wanted to raise him like what they did with Eun Gi, but their circumstances changed all of a sudden, that's perhaps why they took him to the orphanage... They thought Yoon Jae was a kid abandoned by his parents, which is why they sent him to the orphanage instead of going to the police station. Could it be that way?

7. [+5,-0]
But... Ever since the past was revealed, but leads' perspectives and Park Min Young's previous drama 'What's Wrong With Secretary Kim' kept overlapping with this drama. The only difference is that the male lead isn't a chaebol, but it's too similar.... The fangirling part was just to help the story develop. Even if it's switched with 'What's Wrong With Secretary Kim', there'd be not much of a difference... 

8. [+16,-14]
Scriptwriter, please write it realistically. Why are you writing things that don't make sense at all? What's this? Is this makjang? You should write something that's relatable. 

9. [+1,-0]
That isn't ill-fate. They had no choice to do that back then. 

cr. melowah

Love the positive vibes - KJW is PERFECT to being a rom com King betwitching many fans  :lol:

The negatives - I think Kneitz gotta realise this script was based on a webtoon thus the plotline was fixed. Scriptwriter cannot change too much of it. The fact that the leads had a childhood connection was already set in stone. Cliche but still cute - Im a sucker for it esp when they look this cute. :heart:

Though I agree DM mother cared for young YJ for 1 month before leaving him at the orphanage. Even if she circumstances change it was so out of character for her. It shouldve been written handled better. Maybe she did try to find Ryan's mother but failed and had no other option... or maybe Ryan reminded her too much of her own lil son and she couldnt bear the heartbreak :cold_sweat:.  I need to watch the sub eps to understand it more 

In the comment no 2 about the fans who is falling in love with KJW, 

like really?

cause bruh, just get in line..... long lines btw...

as it is not only who you the only one who fall with him.

So, queue.

• Like 1
  • LOL 10