[Drama 2019] Strangers from Hell, 타인은 지옥이다

larus

(Realised I probably lost my 6-year-old account after 15 minutes of repeated logins so had to create a new one. Boo! )

I'm surprised this drama hadn't generated as much traction as it deserved. I usually wait till a drama is almost completed before binging so I'm always late to the conversation as usual. :sweatingbullets: 

SFH had been billed by some as the Korean version of "Your Turn to Kill" (Anata no ban desu) but the ending of that Japanese drama disappointed me so much that I hesitated starting on SFH. But I'm glad to conclude that SFH is so, so much better. I haven't managed to finish any kdrama except for Sky Castle this year, so I'm pretty happy to have SFH to best my 1 kdrama per year quota. And a horror thriller to boot, considering I'm such a wimp.

By the way, I had been watching quite a few Chinese subbed BTS clips and a special interview hosted by Seo Yuri with the cast, those were really fun stuff. But don't think I've seen the English subbed ones. There was a part of the press con that intensified the MJ-JW(LDW-ISW) ship that I believed was not previously shared here. Basically ISW shared during the press con that after they received the script involving that "adam's apple" scene a month prior to the shoot, LDW would touch his adam's apple every time before they started the shoot for the day. :lol: (LDW: because it's the first time he touched someone's adam's apple, so he wanted to get closer to him and his adam's apple, lol). At first ISW took it that LDW was merely practising the scene, but later on he got so used to it that he would sort of feel a sense of loss when LDW did not do it to him (omgomgomg). He was also happy to report that LDW touched his adam's apple again before the press con started, haha! Isn't this ideal fanfic material? :PFfDdq7P.png

On 10/6/2019 at 12:42 PM, BaekhyunBBH said:

Where do you guys watch the drama ? I cant find it anywhere please help me

Not sure if anyone replied to you yet. You can find Eng subbed episodes on Viu and Dramafever in some countries, or google online for eng subs of the show.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/8/2019 at 1:21 PM, Sushimi said:

Not only just that, it’s almost everyone around JW is incompetent. Really they play a big part of him changing. If they just listen to him...

Ahaha this thread is so..dead:lol::P 

But Si Wan could have simply moved out & stayed at another goshiwon surely? Eden isn't the only one, or is it because it's the cheapest? I feel like the drama wanted to push for this message that we are sometimes a victim of circumstance, but what if it's innate? As in Si Wan's case. He's already suffering from PTSD & shown to have violent tendencies so the environment at goshiwon sort of pushed him over the edge..? Idk (shrug) the message just seem lost at least for me. It just seem more of a Halloween scare type of drama but hollow.

Im Siwan Talks About Wanting To Star In A Romance, What Kind Of Person He Wants To Be In 30 Years, And More

Oct 12, 2019
by S. Cho

a9d94c5caa08422ca09f51b18603ec25.jpeg?s=

Im Siwan recently sat down for an interview following the conclusion of his OCN drama “Strangers from Hell.”

In the drama, Im Siwan played the character of Yoon Jong Woo, an aspiring novelist who unexpectedly finds himself caught in a hell created by other people after moving to Seoul.

The 10-episode drama finished filming in early September, and Im Siwan described the set as a “playground,” explaining that he had a lot of fun during filming. He recalled, “Since there were only 10 episodes, it didn’t feel like the end even during the last shoot. I was disappointed, thinking, ‘I wouldn’t mind filming [a few] more [episodes].’ Director Lee Chang Hee’s style is ‘Let’s enjoy ourselves while working’ and ‘Although the genre is dark, let’s have fun while filming.'”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1358563wpp/im-siwan-talks-about-wanting-to-star-in-a-romance-what-kind-of-person-he-wants-to-be-in-30-years-and-more

18 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

But Si Wan could have simply moved out & stayed at another goshiwon surely?

I think he is saving up for his mother and his brother. So he had no choice but to stay there. Cause it's the cheapest i guess.

This drama to me tells me about how it's like to get mentally tortured So yup. haha. i would say, it is open for your own interpretations to what it meant. Like the ending. 

Hi K-drama fans! I'm the English translation staff from Strangers From Hell’s (a.k.a 'Hell is the Other People') Blu-Ray team. It’s great to know that there are people who enjoyed the series as much as we did! As some of you may know, some fans in South Korea started the process of making the Blu-Ray version of the series. We are currently taking a pre-order survey (its PRE-ORDER, there is NO COMMITMENT and NO CHARGE). This is only to see how many demands we can get so that we can give a rough estimate to the production company. The director Lee explained that the unreleased data including interviews and behind-the-scenes videos will be deleted if we do not pass the minimal demand requirement. Also, don't forget that the higher the demands we have, the better quality we will receive at the end. Even if you don't want to pay for the actual Blu-Ray, it will help us a lot if you can sign up for the pre-order survey. So if you are interested, please sign up below through Daum café. There will be English/Korean/Japanese instructions. Feel free to copy this and advertise it to other fans or if you need help/would like to ask some questions about Blu-Ray. I apologize for the abruptness of this post. Again, this is only a pre-production survey so no need to worry about payment! The personal information we ask for the Blu-Ray is strictly limited to production and shipment purposes, and it will be deleted once the project finishes. Thanks a lot guys!

Daum Café: http://cafe.daum.net/strangersfromhell

15 hours ago, StrangersFromHellBluRay said:

There will be English/Korean/Japanese instructions. Feel free to copy this and advertise it to other fans or if you need help/would like to ask some questions about Blu-Ray. I apologize for the abruptness of this post. Again, this is only a pre-production survey so no need to worry about payment! The personal information we ask for the Blu-Ray is strictly limited to production and shipment purposes, and it will be deleted once the project finishes. Thanks a lot guys!

Daum Café: http://cafe.daum.net/strangersfromhell

The English instructions are here: https://m.cafe.daum.net/strangersfromhell/q4lj/11?

On 10/12/2019 at 6:06 AM, Trinitinium said:

By the way, I had been watching quite a few Chinese subbed BTS clips and a special interview hosted by Seo Yuri with the cast, those were really fun stuff. But don't think I've seen the English subbed ones. There was a part of the press con that intensified the MJ-JW(LDW-ISW) ship that I believed was not previously shared here. Basically ISW shared during the press con that after they received the script involving that "adam's apple" scene a month prior to the shoot, LDW would touch his adam's apple every time before they started the shoot for the day. :lol: (LDW: because it's the first time he touched someone's adam's apple, so he wanted to get closer to him and his adam's apple, lol). At first ISW took it that LDW was merely practising the scene, but later on he got so used to it that he would sort of feel a sense of loss when LDW did not do it to him (omgomgomg). He was also happy to report that LDW touched his adam's apple again before the press con started, haha! Isn't this ideal fanfic material? 

This is amazing and exactly the kind of content I’ve been lacking! Can you share the specific video (I think it should be on the OCN yt) and time stamp of this conversation?

cut for nsfw thoughts^^

Spoiler

It really is feeding the MJ/JW fire and I’m here for it. I’m getting dom/sub AU vibes from this lol eyyyy

And please do share more MJ/JW content you find on Weibo,  all the fun is over there and I feel left out lol. Even all the fic on ao3 is in Chinese :’(

On 10/16/2019 at 7:34 AM, ellesina said:

This is amazing and exactly the kind of content I’ve been lacking! Can you share the specific video (I think it should be on the OCN yt) and time stamp of this conversation?

cut for nsfw thoughts^^

Reveal hidden contents

It really is feeding the MJ/JW fire and I’m here for it. I’m getting dom/sub AU vibes from this lol eyyyy

I watch the videos mainly from bilibili 'barrage'/danmaku video site, where users can post real-time/live comments as they watch. Some links for sharing:

• Chinese subs of press con ("adam's apple" bit can be found from 2:40 onwards).
  • Shorter Youtube clip on the same part, from 2:50 onwards 
  • The special interview hosted by Seo Yuri organised by OCN
  • Director and the cast watching the drama together: E1-2; E3-4
  • Weibo comments and topic link for the drama 他人即地狱 

And please do share more MJ/JW content you find on Weibo,  all the fun is over there and I feel left out lol. Even all the fic on ao3 is in Chinese :’(

Will be sharing the MJ/JW content under the spoiler section as I understand some may not be interested in such stuff.

Spoiler

The MJ/JW ship is known as the 祖宗CP among the Chinese fans. CP as in 'couple' and the 祖宗 term is formed from the Chinese subbed names of Moon-jo 文祖 and Jong-woo 宗佑/钟宇 (the subbed names may be different sometimes depending on the sub teams). 祖宗 as a Chinese term actually means 'ancestor' but the Chinese fans often use common words like this for naming various CPs.

I have directly linked the search term in bilibili here. This should throw up many fanmade videos on the CP. You can just watch them for fun, no need for understanding of Chinese as they often just comprise of cuts from the drama with different BGMs. I've also included the topic link for the 祖宗CP for more weibo comments and fanarts.

Another fun tidbit I just came across on weibo: during Im Siwan's fan meeting recently, he was asked for the 'lie detector' game -

Q: "I (Im Siwan) think that compared to Sol Kyung-gu calling me 'jagiya' (darling) in "The Merciless", Lee Dongwook's 'jagiya' sounds better".

Im Siwan's ernest response: "YES."

(Lie detector response after 10 seconds: AFFIRMATIVE (i.e. he's telling the truth).

Applause everywhere.):lol:

[*Edit: added link to above video)

0078JQXsly1g801rz1uccj31jk1jk4p2.jpg

006qj5LKgy1g7sv7s9atlj31e02gw4qp.jpg

I've watched until episode 8 and this drama is so good ! :lol: I can feel the situation being a burden for the main character, I can feel his emotions and it is really well portrayed in this drama. There were many times where I felt so uncomfortable watching the drama omg. OCN, the actors and actresses does such a great job. I am always impressed by that. At this point, the MC is confused and it is like there are two persons in his mind, it is cliché but like the good person and the bad person. He is struggling inside.

I'm taking my time to watch this drama because there are ONLY 10 episodes and I feel it will not be enough for me :(

I hope I am wrong, I still have 2 episodes to watch so maybe I am wrong. I'll see. However, because I've watched many OCN dramas, I know that at the end there will be a plot twist or something similar that will make me want to claim a second season, I know it.

I have a question, for those who have read the webtoon comic, does the drama follows the webtoon perfectly or are there little, huge and important differences ? I am really curious. I've read 2 or 3 chapters only because I couldnt find the english version.

1 minute ago, BaekhyunBBH said:

have a question, for those who have read the webtoon comic, does the drama follows the webtoon perfectly or are there little, huge and important differences ? I am really curious. I've read 2 or 3 chapters only because I couldnt find the english version.

I would say they did change up some stuff, but the story of the ending stayed the same. :) it’s really good! The ending!

I've just finished to watch the last episode.

But there is something that really bothers me and I dont understand : the guy who was at the hospital at the end, is he the thug who was locked in the basement during all these time ? But why did he say it was the main character who tried to killed him ? I am so confused with that part.

There is also the woman who lived on the ground floor, the christian, who went into a karaoke .. I dont understand why she was shown, her parts were really useless and irrelevant...

Also, I am so sad for the young man (the rapper) who was killed too and the other guy who was in the army.

That being said, I think the drama doesnt really need a second season after all. The main character said something like 'everything will end when you'll die' (to the dentist psycho) and he's true.

13 minutes ago, BaekhyunBBH said:

is he the thug who was locked in the basement during all these time ? But why did he say it was the main character who tried to killed him ? I am so confused with that part.

Yes it’s the thug. I don’t think he was telling the cops that a JW is apart of it. I think it was just to throw everyone off.

That being said, I think the drama doesnt really need a second season after all. The main character said something like 'everything will end when you'll die' (to the dentist psycho) and he's true.

Yes. He was reborn in a sense. It will never be the same ever again. Pretty much it sums up for him. But do you believe he actually died? Could you imagine if the Dentist survives? Honestly this series ending gave a lot of endless possibilities of theories. Haha this series is indeed really nice. It’s one of its kind & it’s hard to find. Sad that it ended..

Oh about the woman on the ground floor..it could be possible that the auntie killed her so they can coverup everything.

19 hours ago, BaekhyunBBH said:

But there is something that really bothers me and I dont understand : the guy who was at the hospital at the end, is he the thug who was locked in the basement during all these time ? But why did he say it was the main character who tried to killed him ? I am so confused with that part.

I thought he pointed that everyone expcept JW tried to kill him, bc he wasn't part of the murder gang that tortured him. 

21 hours ago, Sushimi said:

Yes it’s the thug. I don’t think he was telling the cops that a JW is apart of it. I think it was just to throw everyone off.

Yes. He was reborn in a sense. It will never be the same ever again. Pretty much it sums up for him. But do you believe he actually died? Could you imagine if the Dentist survives? Honestly this series ending gave a lot of endless possibilities of theories. Haha this series is indeed really nice. It’s one of its kind & it’s hard to find. Sad that it ended..

Oh about the woman on the ground floor..it could be possible that the auntie killed her so they can coverup everything.

Ok thank you for confirming it was the thug. Okay I really was confused.

And yes it will never be the same. It must have been traumatizing for JW (he was manipulated, poor, living in this kind of apartment, working alongside a jealous annoying person, and everything...). I guess no one will be the same after that.

To be honest, I hope the dentist is not dead. But I think he is really dead. I did not wanted him to die, I wanted him to be able to escape somewhere else or something like that...  Now that he is dead, I cant imagine a second season.

Oh yes for the woman on the ground floor, you are right maybe how come I did not think about that ? You must be right

The craziest remains the dentist tho, he wanted JW to kill everyone and he wanted JW to kill him as well just to 'create another kind of him, of crazy person". Still I doubt he succeeded, because maybe JW will not kill anymore. What do you think ?

14 minutes ago, BaekhyunBBH said:

The craziest remains the dentist tho, he wanted JW to kill everyone and he wanted JW to kill him as well just to 'create another kind of him, of crazy person". Still I doubt he succeeded, because maybe JW will not kill anymore. What do you think ?

Oh, this part i think i have different thoughts than you. I actually think he succeeded. My guess is that once JW killed them, it sort of put JW in this space in which, he will have the urges to kill again. He likes to kill actually, if you recall. So to me, when MJ breaks JW's barrier to not kill and JW ended up killing people. MJ succeeded already. I think MJ is there to see people's true nature. which is to kill people not for a purpose, but to feel excited/happy. So MJ killed his original artwork because he was trying to tie lose ends which is not even about being happy or excited. So therefore MJ killed him.

You can see JW who looks pretty excited to kill people or when he beat the co-worker up, the aftermath, he looks so excited. So i believe, whenever JW is leading his own life and someone cross him in the wrong way, his MJ personality will come in and push him to kill people.

---

For me, i am very curious about what happened after the series ends. Like how the mother and the girlfriend will react to this 'new' JW. Will he inhabit a new place and recruit people and act exactly like MJ? What happened to the female cop? Can she arrest JW? 

@BaekhyunBBH have you imagine the entire killing spree by MJ in the shoes of JW? The auntie was killing the pervert. I see some pointers that can indicate auntie was in the shoes of JW at one point. Like how the auntie was telling the pervert "I told you not to touch my items." and then when auntie talks to MJ, it feels like JW was talking to MJ...Ahhh...It's so good...Thus MJ leads JW to the auntie.

Sorry for the long post, i really love this series. Have to talk more haha

28 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

Oh, this part i think i have different thoughts than you. I actually think he succeeded. My guess is that once JW killed them, it sort of put JW in this space in which, he will have the urges to kill again. He likes to kill actually, if you recall. So to me, when MJ breaks JW's barrier to not kill and JW ended up killing people. MJ succeeded already. I think MJ is there to see people's true nature. which is to kill people not for a purpose, but to feel excited/happy. So MJ killed his original artwork because he was trying to tie lose ends which is not even about being happy or excited. So therefore MJ killed him.

You can see JW who looks pretty excited to kill people or when he beat the co-worker up, the aftermath, he looks so excited. So i believe, whenever JW is leading his own life and someone cross him in the wrong way, his MJ personality will come in and push him to kill people.

---

For me, i am very curious about what happened after the series ends. Like how the mother and the girlfriend will react to this 'new' JW. Will he inhabit a new place and recruit people and act exactly like MJ? What happened to the female cop? Can she arrest JW? 

@BaekhyunBBH have you imagine the entire killing spree by MJ in the shoes of JW? The auntie was killing the pervert. I see some pointers that can indicate auntie was in the shoes of JW at one point. Like how the auntie was telling the pervert "I told you not to touch my items." and then when auntie talks to MJ, it feels like JW was talking to MJ...Ahhh...It's so good...Thus MJ leads JW to the auntie.

Sorry for the long post, i really love this series. Have to talk more haha

What you said make sense, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I was wondering why he killed his original 'artwork' so you answered to that too. Yes you must be right. It is so creepy when I think about it now.

After the series ends, I really have no idea. If JW really is a 'psycho, a serial killer, and everything' then he shouldnt be able to 'care and love', or maybe I am wrong, since he has cognitive dissonance, then it is possible when he is with his family and gf his behaviour will automatically change. I also believe that his gf will be annoyed by his 'creepy' behaviour and she will leave him by fear. For his mother, I have absolutely no idea. She was the one who told him something like 'be careful of strangers' lol. I believe if his mother remains near him, his 'evil' side will gradually disappear and she will not reject his son. In fact, I believe it is the people around him who can influence him either to the right side (his mother), or to the wrong side (like the eden studio ppl for example).

For the killing spree part, it was disturbing. And I think MJ did talk to the auntie and leads her to JW. Also, during the scene when it was the auntie who was fighting with the pervert, I was surprised because I was wondering how an old woman like that can actually be able to fight this way lol.

4 minutes ago, BaekhyunBBH said:

She was the one who told him something like 'be careful of strangers' lol.

I also wonder what triggers her to tell him that Haha. Like as if, she predicted it :skull:

49 minutes ago, BaekhyunBBH said:

To be honest, I hope the dentist is not dead.

I know that a lot of people have like problems with how the story goes (Ending) I only can think of two different endings. If we think of the lift scene, that guy to be JW then yes, MJ is officially in JW and JW is giving the vibes of MJ. That MJ will forever live in JW.

But if you look at the lift scene, in which, it is really MJ, then it could also mean that MJ survive why? Because when the female cop & JW talks in the park. He wasn't wearing the teeth bracelet. Female cop enters the hospital and then sees the supposed MJ in the lift. Then it takes sometime for her to go up the ward. Then when the cop enters, she sees JW with the teeth bracelet.  So it could mean, MJ could come in and give him the bracelet. 

There are so many possibilities i know there won't be a season 2, but it would definitely be awesome if they ever say, let's make a season 2.  I really like that world...the story is awesome too..

thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Haha, no need. I just feel very happy to talk when this thread have people. honestly, there isn't really alot of people who watch this thus not much communication here. So it's nice you are here that i can talk to about SFH

Hell Is Other People: Episode 10 (Final)

by Sunny

HOP10-00045-1.jpg

A murder story full of madness and mayhem finally comes to a close. The time has come for our hero to face off against the leader in a final showdown and with all the blood spilled up until now, it’s hard to say whether anyone will make out out alive.

EPISODE 10: “Gaslighting”

HOP10-00005-1.jpg

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/10/hell-is-other-people-episode-10-final/

• 2 weeks later...

Do people still care for this show? I'm not sure which real and fake... because I'm still not sure how the narrative or point of view works... but one thing for sure, JW is a unrelliable narrator.
other characters' pov before aftermath were real or part of JW's narrative?
There are some mismatch object/event throughout the show, I'm still not sure wat these means....could fake or real situation thing or fake at the same time real situation:

- JW and Jieun mismatch phone chats history, it looked like clashed 'timeline'/perspective
- The 2 Penguin statue (at JW office, that used by MJ to kill CEO...MJ use the big one btw), in JW's pov the big one positioned in the right, in co-worker's pov it was the small one.

- Tools cabinet at the basement, notice the small axe and the plier... the position really messed up in every cut auntie vs. the perv scene, in JW vs. the perv scene.. the small axe was absent from cabinet, the plier still there.
- Auntie's fan with the flower accessory, if i look closely... the flower acessory position changed in JW vs. auntie scene, also the fan wasnt broken? or ON?
- JW's bottom right jaw wound cut, was absent and non absent from his face in execution room showdown

- Small chair used by JW in corridor fight, that chair supposed to be in the execution room.
- The hammer (murder weapon) I assume it's the same hammer used by giggles ajussi in police girl vs. auntie scene?... suddenly JW got it in 4th floor after he escapes straped chair based on his chronology btw.
- The black knife used for murder never been in the kitchen post 302 era.
- It shown the two police arrives at night to save police girl... suddenly they out from the basement at dawn? thats a long timeskip. Also JW looked completely dry in the ambulance close up shot, it's like no sign of wetness as if he was indoor all the time, could be 'fake' cut/shot tho.

This is some google translate from the director interview:
"I tried to express a situation where the confusion arose where the real thing was happening here was real and fake"
http://m.cine21.com/news/view/?mag_id=93735#_enliple

• 2 weeks later...

OMG we were not imagining the MJ/JW ship after all. Someone shared a screenshot of a part of the script for the scene where MJ killed Jaeho (JW's senior/boss). Unfortunately this part of the conversation was eventually edited out from the final cut:xd7MfH3.jpg

(Translated)

42. Jaeho's office / at night

Seo Moon Jo: Don't feel so aggrieved. Who will see a person they like to lead a miserable life and not care about it?

Jae Ho: (scared face) !!!

*PS: bold emphasis MINE

Spoiler

EGcVcUOWwAEnyO2.jpg

Archived