Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2019] Search: WWW, 검색어를 입력하세요: WWW

I love scarlert and seol jihwan couple:wub:. Does scarlet want to throw jihwan phone when their are kissing:sweatingbullets: and jihwan stop him?

I like the way drama potray scarlet love story. A woman can be as cool as her during work and turn cute/pretty with someone she love. 

And i love scarlet's clothessss!!!!!

• Like 10

Am enjoying reading everyone's thoughts and reflections following the conclusion of this week's episodes. Joining in the vibrancy of discussions with my few cents' worth:

Story Themes

I think this drama very ambitiously wants to raise contemporary issues for discussion in the context of today's Korean society, and while many of the issues are clearly related to Korean culture, it also resonates with those of us consuming this as part of popular culture of our time. 

Class and power 

This is a very popular theme in many Korean dramas, but over the years, the form of discussion has changed. Women in power are clearly part of this game too, and this is not a world that is dominated only by men. This is very succinctly summarised by CEO Na Inkyung's when she tells Chairman Jang Hee-eun that when one has neither power nor resources, one's competency is determined by willingness to bow to the authority of those in power.

The struggle between class and power is further confounded by cultural ideas of filial piety and generational hegemony where parents have an unquestioned authority over their children. So within each class, we see power plays between generations. Parental decisions continue to impact the lives of their children even after they have assumed adulthood. While some have abdicated their role (e.g. in the case of Park Morgan's mother who gave him up for adoption), others refuse to let of it and see it as their absolute right to hold their children hostage to their desires in the case of Song Gakyung, Oh Jinwoo and their tragic relationship with their parents. 

This theme is also further discussed, though not as heavily, in the relationships between the 3 women and their back stories that extend knowingly for Gakyung and Cha Hyeon, and unknowingly for these 2 ladies with Bae Tami into their school history. They were already defined by relationships of seniority and resource allocation by association back in their school days, influencing feelings of gratitude or determination against structures in their adult relationships. 

Gender, age and romantic relationships

It's a kdrama of the romance genre. Of course this has to be a theme. But I am liking how this writer is choosing to frame these relationships through the lives of these 3 women who are similar in terms of their willpower and grit, but different because of the values they each hold and circumstances in life.

Song Gakyung, unfortunate royalty

Song Gakyung was very clearly placed into a marriage of convenience, not dissimilar from political marriages that forged alliances between nations and tribes in monarchies of old. We know in many arranged marriages, developing love and affection for your partner is not impossible, and in fact, many women before us did. But women today also have more options and choices available to them through education, and in Ep 12, we finally see that all the smarts that we saw and heard of of her in her school days is starting to show. It has simply been unfortunate for her that she had never had the luxury of exploring romantic relationships for as long as she could not shed the responsibilities that came with her birthright (cf. Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots), but the moment she let go of all of that through her divorce, it seems as though love might eventually find her. I am rooting for her and Jinwoo. 

Cha Hyeon, warrior princess

I have to admit - she's my favourite of them all. A princess in her own right, Cha Hyeon had talents not typically associated with the mainstream. She was athletically gifted, and that's rare. Unfortunately, she lost that arena but her personality rooted in this nature to fight kept her from falling. Well managed and forged alliances (with Gakyung in her youth and Brian in her adulthood) kept her afloat and successful. She has a childlike loyalty to unwavering values and this is what is admirable - she never once gives up on them though she is well aware that at times, she needs to negotiate her lines albeit within what she still deems as reasonable. It causes her heartache in relationships because these values also confuse her romantically when she tries to make sense of "right and wrong" when she tries to sort out what she's doing for Seol Ji Hwan. She started off by giving him that support because she took responsibility for his injuries, but beyond that, she could not tell if it was for mere responsibility that she continued to show him favour, or if it was for the unconditionality of her affections for him that she did so. This unconditional show of affection is what Cha Hyeon understands as love. And she's got it right. Which is why she deserves a partner like Seol Ji Hwan who is so pure in spirit that he holds no ill intention or hidden agenda in any request or choices he makes, right down to why his phone does only what a phone does - connecting him to people - and why he supports the old lady at the subway station selling flowers. Love her, love him, totally rooting for them!

Bae Tami, trapped in the world of her creation

Of the 3, actually, we know least of Bae Tami, and that is what makes me feel a lot less for her. It is hard to empathise with her because little is known of how she became who she is, but she has clearly shifted her own goalposts over the years to the point where she is now so steeped in her own circular definitions of who she is and how her world should be, that she either needs to get out of them in order to live a more liberating life, or bow to her own rules because pride does not allow her to do otherwise. 

At work, Tami professes objectivity to justify her willingness to cut corners and burn bridges to achieve temporary wins without much regard for the future. This is the same for her relationships. She has slept with Park Morgan goodness knows how many times, even suggesting he moves in with her - and she is the one who benefits from this arrangement. The irony of it all is that she makes these decisions with claims for a future she is concerned about. Yet in the carelessness with which she makes decisions (at the hearing, getting into a relationship against her own better judgement, giving Gakyung the evidence for Jinwoo manipulating the keyword, etc.) she's cost herself a number of relationships (with Gakyung and Morgan) and almost her career.

She and Morgan actually exist in very different generations, and that also affects values. It's not just about Morgan being an adoptee. She's a Gen-X'r; Morgan's a millenial. They want very different things in life. For the sake of keeping the story real and truly relatable, I hope that relationship is not patched. For their own sakes. She needs to find a relationship where companionship is the only thing on the cards. 

• Like 12
  • Insightful 8

My gosh..Park Mogoen!  My heart broke into pieces for him!

What wrong with you, Bae Ta Mi? What is of your logic? Being older to know better.. that’s b_llsh_t (sorry for being rude here..I am very upset). What is wrong that you hurt a person who loves you (and yourself, too).

Bae Ta Mi, you are not Morgan’s mother (like someone said in earlier post .. my apology that I cannot track your post looking through my phone). Even being a mother, a mother should consider what her son truly wants rather than what 'she wants' for him, by the way.

How fortunate if you can find a man who is an arrogant young man who already established himself, who loves you so very much with passion, understanding, supportive, and wise enough to guide you through your hardship (many times), and love you enough to go through hell to let you go (to free you for you to do get what you want – her crazy own thought of being good for him)  

Love is foundation of a couple (whatever marriage or not). Lives after being a couple are to compromise. Give and take are a must. You give some-You take some. Much or less depends on different circumstances.

I love this drama because of its story line, each created characters, and their dialogues. I love the writer as I consider her the best to write such a drama with different vibe than other normal ones I have seen so far. I am still trust in her for a happy ending for TM and MG which I will be waiting to see whether she can show me how their relationship can be resolved.

Please don’t go the crazy in love but can’t be together route. My dear heart will not be able to bear it, for sure (I will start cursing, too, if so … lol)

• Like 13
  • Love 1

I'll admit I'm only watching the Cha Hyun parts, so I don't really know what's going on with the other two, ahaha. :sweatingbullets: The show is nearing its end but I still can't get over how gorgeous Scarlett is. :wub: When she rushed into the frame to kiss him, my reaction was "As expected of Scarlett!" :lol: Glad she made that move and they finally admitted their feelings. But because my last drama was Her Private Life, with kissing connoisseur Kim Jae Wook in all his making out glory, I was disappointed with the direction and editing of the scene. Why such bad angles hiding the kiss? Why all the cutaways from the action? Show us the damn kissing, it's the same time slot! :lol: Also, in the makjang drama, isn't that the good twin falling into a romance with the older mother-in-law who had plastic surgery (? or was that some sort of magic?) to look younger to get revenge on the evil twin? Why is Scarlett rooting for that pairing? 's weird. :crazy: Anyway, I hope Scarlett and Actual Puppy Seol Ji Hwan make good use of their time left before his military duty. :)

• Like 13
  • Love 1

Actually, why did Cha Hyeon raise her hand with Ji Hwan's phone? Was she trying to put it away? I did like how he gently took her wrist and brought her hand back down though. It was quite visually lyrical, like a dance. 

And yes, @Ondine, as Cha Hyeon herself said, they don't have much time to wait for things to happen, so let the romance begin at a good speed! Hahaha... I need another drama with just Ji Hwan and Cha Hyeon. He's such a sweetie pie and she's such a devoted girlfriend. Despite the age gap (she's at least 37 in the show, I reckon, and he's 29?), they're so different from Morgan and Tammy. Cha Hyeon just isn't complicated. She wears her heart on her sleeves and needs someone therefore to treat that open heart with care. Ji Hwan is just that person to do that for her. He's just so sincere.

On a separate note, he's only 21!! This must be his very first screen kiss! So methinks he's done very well indeed. He was still such a kid as Marco in Alhambra. 

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I see TM is quite confidence in her work and her capability to make it success but not too much in a relationship, very intrigue indeed. I don’t think i would call the problem in their relationship as a mess, while the problem it self was very hard to tackle with the age gap, different value of life, personality, insecurity, experience and etc. I mean there are a lot of couple get back together again even with the kind of mess that we hope never happened to our lives.  hope TM and MG can get back together again since i don’t think all the problems that present between their relationship was unsalvageable. They could do with the time skip or the small world setting that their path was crossing again in the future with newer perspective or etc. :D crossed finger. I’m also curious with GG and her husband. They are definitely in love to each other, but they need to divorce for fighting againts evil mother in law.  Could they mantain their relationship without the marriage status? at least until they manage to resolve the evil mother in law.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

To me:-

1. TM and MG will get back together... he don't care whether he will married her or not... she don't care either whether she will change her mind to married him or not... hah!

2. Scarlet will definitely wait for JH.. I am sure she will visit him in the military and wack those guys who bullied her JH.. trust me.. she will ... wakkakakakakakakka

3. GG will continue seeing her ex husband .. i hope i get to see a kissing scene from this couple? **PD nim pls~~~~~~ puppy eyes** 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Another awesome episode!! Highlight was obviously my Divorce Couple who seem to be taking steps forward by moving back. OMG when they squeezed into that tiny space!!! The hand holding and staring!!:wub: I felt it y'all! Hopefully I will get more skinship and a happy resolution next week... Drama gods please! 

Jeon HyeJin has the most perfect crying scenes in drama land!! Her two crying scenes go over and above crying, I was actually moved! She doesn't sound like she's trying hard, and she's not overdoing it!! So natural! I normally skate past crying scenes but hers are spectacular! Scarlett, girl I am looking at you lol!

On this TaMi and Morgan thing: I think WriterNim uses them to present two conflicting views on Marriage. The development of their characters was not for them to get together eventually, but to explore two incompatible ideas. There is the expectation that "you must get married!!", but we live in a world, and especially Korea, where marriage has become optional. And for good reason. Granted, TaMi's argument that she doesn't want the state involved is just too shallow and American-ish for me because they can do a wedding ceremony and not register the marriage in Korea, but I appreciate how WriterNim has used the two to dissect such a fundamental issue. The dialogues between them as they discuss their beliefs are stellar, whether we like the couple or not.

The two characters were never going to get married, and I guess that's why many are bored with them, like BREAK UP ALREADY! But Morgan had to go through the wringing to finally understand that he cannot hang on to his idea and assume everyone thinks the same. I wouldn't be surprised if WriterNim thinks like TaMi. Plus, we also got a different character arc from the usual Noona romance that would have been the default trope for these two.

Therefore, even as a believer in marriage, as I have said before, I don't want TaMi to magically switch her core beliefs in the name of "LOVE". I'm almost her age-mate and at this point in life, unless you make the conscious calculation and reasoning to change your mind, your belief system is mostly not shaken by emotions. 

• Like 14
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Actually, why did Cha Hyeon raise her hand with Ji Hwan's phone? Was she trying to put it away? I did like how he gently took her wrist and brought her hand back down though. It was quite visually lyrical, like a dance. 

The phone was ringing suddenly. oops.gif Knowing CH, her reaction would likely to throw and shut it down. :P But JH sensing that she'd do that, reassure her that the ringing doesn't matter. It might be a 2G phone but it's his precious phone after all. The ringtone even sounded like the background music for their much-awaited moment. :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 9

@africandramalover I am sorry that I have to disagree with you.

I don't think that MG "hang on to his idea and assume everyone thinks the same".  The so-called marriage is his dream. But from my view, I believe what he dreams of is a family of his own. A family which may or may not be one with legally married. It is just a person he loves and loves him, being together, share everyday life together. He even mentioned to TM that he does not care whether she will get married with him or not. He just loves her now. He is just waiting for her to truely open up to him and walk with him hand in hand, day by day. Whatever future may hold, just let it be. 

It is TM that hold her value tight in her mind. Like I said in my earlier post .. what's wrong with her? Does she has any background trauma? 

I mentioned that I am still rooting for this couple, MG/TM. I am still have trust in the writer. She has write brilliantly so far. If she just wants to manifest that different values in relationship is actually different. There is no way to solve them. Only way is to go separate ways. I will just ... ummm!  But, if she is really good to my expectation. Let's see which solution she will find for them to come back to be together again. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

46 minutes ago, tingth said:

He even mentioned to TM that he does not care whether she will get married with him or not. He just loves her now. He is just waiting for her to truely open up to him and walk with him hand in hand, day by day. Whatever future may hold, just let it be

This is the cop out that I also do not want for Morgan. If he wants marriage, then he shouldn't give up his desire just so that he can be with TaMi. Yes, they do love one another, but this is a situation where you must let go of the one you love. He may want to be with TaMi, but as far as things go, marriage between the two is untenable.

As TaMi rightly says, and as has been discussed here, if they continue with their relationship, one day in the future they will have to break up because he will need to go to a person who can give him the family he wants the way he wants. Painful but necessary.

they love one another but from the beginning they knew they would not be together forever, only for a beautiful moment, even if it lasts ten years. They will probably be one of those rare couples who only have beautiful memories of one another when they break up because they break up out of a self sacrificing desire to give the other person what they truly need. What greater love is there than that!?

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, africandramalover said:

As TaMi rightly says, and as has been discussed here, if they continue with their relationship, one day in the future they will have to break up because he will need to go to a person who can give him the family he wants the way he wants. Painful but necessary.

I can't help but slowly understand her overthinking and inhibitions knowing her line of work. She can't jump ship for a temporary "now".. because she always have to look forward for the future of Unicon (and now for Barro) for the longest time since she was there. Her knowledge, wisdom and inhibitions in other things like relationships could have rooted from how she works. And I can't blame her for that. 

Edited by forwww
words
  • Like 8

I read some assumptions that the last two episodes are likely to be two years in the future. Do you think that's possible? And how would it end then? 

I'm so conflicted with this drama, you never really know what is going to happen, it really is not a classic cliche drama. 

Definately the best kdrama I have watched, for me only Something in the rain had similar touch to it. I need to watch more, but I mostly get put off at the short preview because it is always a cliche romance/drama. 

• Like 9

Re-watched ep. 14 with subs, still as heartbreaking in regards to Ta-Mi/Mo-Gan:( I knew this day would come but it doesn't make it hurt any less y'know?

I understand both where they're comin' from and honestly, I would've done the same.. It's hard but that's relationships for ya-_- It's bound to happen anyway. They remind me of the OTP from La La Land. The OTP in that had an immediate attraction & jumped into a heady, passionate romance. But like it is with Ta-Mi & Mo-Gan, they too wanted different things.. And for those of you who've watched La La Land, they broke up. As much as I wished they stuck it out together, it wasn't meant to be.. Sometimes Love just ain't enough:unsure:

But like Mo-Gan's Mom reasons, she gave him up for his future & out of love. If she kept him, Mo-Gan wouldn't have been a CEO of his own music/sound production company. So yea life gives us difficult choices but it's how we make them that make the difference. While I hate this for Mo-Gan/Ta-Mi, at the very least.. they met each other, loved one another and hopefully become better individuals 'cause of it. It's just not in the cards for them now.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

While i understand there are times when people don’t have another choice and have to abandon their kids, i still don’t like MG’s mother told him that he wouldn’t become like this if she hadn’t left him. That wasn’t an excuse to justified her action. MG’s life could be towards the opposite.

• Like 6

Let me take a moment to appreciate  Lee Jae Wook. The 1998er.

He can act. Has the height. Knows how to pick his projects. And has chemistry with his co star. And I write this with no intention of starting a fan war.

The ability to have chemistry with a co- star is not something you can make. Sometimes I think it's a gift. The same as screen charisma. It's just that we currently have on screen 3 young actors all born within 14 months of each other. Yet presenting so differently.

Even when one can act choosing the right project is also something elusive right? That's why I said LJW is something else. I was rewatching his Min Hyuk and Min Has scenes on the daily drama. Then when I see him go into character for MJ or MH then switch so effortlessly into SJH I go " whoa, he's so good. "

If you ignore the subs. Ignore Scarlett during the last episode scene and just see SJH you can see so many expressions go through his face. I actually repeated that scene just to rewatch him and I am saying this purely now from an acting admiration POV. 

And then he goes and has chemistry in spades with LDH who's over 14 years older. Those 2 are just wonderful characters to watch.

He goes back to playing his age in his next drama.  I also like it that he is building his resume and not being or not offered lead roles. The number of dramas which I have suffered through because of a lame duck lead. But I happen to like the writer or plot so I have to suffer watching someone idol- like or popular get the lead role.

In case you guys are wondering if it's because of his looks it's not. I happen to like tall actors true but he actually has an older face-and eyebags- not a baby face. His eyes are rather small and he has eye liner which I dislike intensely. However he is so natural with his acting that it has caught my attention. So when he has a good character written for him, then has chemistry with his co-star and they make the screen sizzle; it makes me very happy to see their romance.

Scarlett's reaction for the male lead confession was so cute. Her reaction for the onscreen kiss so bang on accurate it just makes the whole scene better. His reaction watching her was just as good viewing.

That brings me to the last point, not quite proven yet but LJW can at least kiss right? So

yes this post is basically me feeling happy to have a male character I can watch. Because prior to this I just finished 2 dramas where at least one lead wasn't up to the acting challenge. The 3rd where the role was hard and the chemistry just wasn't there.

The other current drama which I am currently enjoying is Perfume. The male lead there is absolutely slaying the role. To the point that I am fascinated just watching him emote.

Lee Jae Wook's facial expressions are subtle but they transition fast and smoothly. His eyes emote- and we all know how difficult that is for some idols- and he just becomes who he is supposed to be. Add on chemistry and good role choices? This viewer is just a happy viewer at present. 

And since a lot of ppl have seen my usual grumpy, sarcastic comments on other dramas, this ain't my usual sort of posts. I do not gush. Not on Kdramas. And not in real life. So this feels very gushy to me.

• Like 8
  • Love 4

Hello!

I love the discussions going on here, especially the relationship between our 3 couples.

To me, my favorite is TM and MG. I love them from episode 1 when they first met (MG beat TM in Tekken to get TM's attention. Side Note: this is so me and my husband. And we played Tekken too :) ), and I still love them when they truly broke up in episode 14 (I cried when they cried. And it frustrate me that TM didn't do more to prevent it from happening. She just gave up and walked out :( ).

From day 1, they knew that their relationship is not going to be an easy road to take. But they've been brave enough to give it a try. There may be a constant push and pull between them, but at least they're communicating with each other and I think it's because they really would like to make it work. 

I believe they really love each other but it's not enough because unfortunately, they're not on the same page yet. And their break up is necessary to give them the space they need to think things through, individually, and find out if there's truly a happy path they can take together and what they can do to make it happen.

Especially for TM. I think she has to let go of a lot of her issues - her insecurity on their age difference, her fear of a sad ending for them, and her fear that with marriage or with a long term relationship, she'll lose control of her life. She has to learn that loving someone means a compromise of things but it doesn't mean she's losing control of it. She has to learn that while it's good to plan ahead, she shouldn't overthink/over analyze it and be afraid of something that may or may not happen. She has to learn that while they have a 10-year age gap, it's ok, especially since MG seem to be an old soul and is a perfect match for her. And above all, she should learn to just relax and live for the moment and accept the possibility that there's this awesome guy who loves her so much and whom she can love as much, and that they can be happy together as long as they will it.

In the end, I hope they have a happy ending. And I wish they can resolve it on episode 15 - because, honestly, my heart can't take the heart break and their sadness for too long, lol.

On a side note, in their world, how long has it been from the first time they met to the time they broke up? Is it just a month?

All in all, it's a really awesome drama. It's different than the other ones I've watched. 3 strong women, with a leadership role, in an industry dominated by men (I'm in IT as well, so I know how very few women, compared to men are in IT. Also, I totally get about the search engine and how logic can be manipulated, etc). I love the friendship between TM and CH (Scarlet) and their complicated relationship with SGG . That last scene from episode 13, with our girls walking in split frame, is so bad-a$$ (I was literally screaming, "you go, girls!"). The lines are snappy (kudos to the writer) and each episode just kept getting better and better.

I can't wait for what the final 2 episodes will bring us. While at the same time, I'm sad that it's already ending. 

Cheers!

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3

21 hours ago, xxPeepsxx said:

That's true. I agree 100%.

But it's also true that MoGun coming to understand how TaMi thinks means the end of their relationship because there's just no going forward with that any more, which is why I really liked that ending dialogue.

As much as this is a TaMi problem, it's now MoGun's turn to let her go because he loves her. There's nothing else he can do. TaMi's the only one who can fix this.

Honestly, I do think TaMi is very well characterized though. Just because you're a lady warrior at work doesn't mean you're just as strong when it comes to relationships. Because success at work can largely be something you can control independently or if it doesn't work, something you can leave pretty easily because it's just work, but when it comes to relationships, it's something you can't do alone and you even have to take account of another person's perspective so that your good intents aren't misconstrued and the thing about relationships is even if you do everything right, the other person might still leave and the whole thing falls apart. It's that vulnerability inherent in emotional relationships that TaMi is too emotionally immature for which results in this.

I mean, people over-compensate. Work is where she traditionally excels and what she's confident in but relationships is like unchartered territory and so I'm not sure if she is ready to believe in a relationship that, given all signs and signals, is gonna fail. It doesnt make her any less badass though, in my books. Just very complicated and frustrating.

I agree with what you both said and I can't see a way forward for this couple.  Morgan is the mature one.  His heart may be broken but he see that as long as Tammy thinks the way she does he has to let her go. I don't have a problem with him.  Tammy is the one who will never be happy.  She can't live in the here and now because she is always looking for the end in the future.  Let's face it Morgan was right when he told her everything ends. That is life.  Do you give up happiness because it will end some day? If you do that you can never be happy.

• Like 13
  • Insightful 2