郝帥飾 / Hao ShuaiShi as 王老大 / Wang LaoDa
于白水 / Yu BaiShui
赵震宇 / Zhao ZhenYu
王璟彦 / Wang JingYan
马赛 / MaSai
锦鲤 / JinLi

Synopsis:

该剧主要讲述失忆侠探简不知,为了查出神机谷惨案真相找出杀父仇人,踏上了寻求真相之旅;在探求真相的过程中结识真爱和挚友,协手解开一个个离奇案件的故事

Basically about a hero who have lost memories, finding out the truth and also who is his dad murderer, the path to the truth where friendships and trials are all thrown into the path to fight for the truth.

Episodes:

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I just finished this drama last night, and i love it! What a twist! Hopefully the semi cliff hanger turn to be season 2! I love all the character, especially Physician Ye Xiao Xiao! I think finally we have a jianghu drama about powerful physicians! Although it is only part of the drama, but i really love it.

It is a shame that a show like this has gone under the radar because unlike a lot of similar products that have fallen off the Cdrama assembly line, this is actually one of the better ones. For some reason the C dramas that have caught my attention tend to be spearheaded by lesser known actors.  This one is dominated by young newbies but they hold their own in the acting stakes.

It's heartening to see wuxia making some kind of comeback with quality products like this one. This had everything in it and it did almost everything really well. It's one of the rare ones which I enjoy from start to finish and I may revisit this on a rainy day. It wasn't hard to binge watch this one in two days because the detective plots were fun and moderately challenging even for a seasoned campaigner like myself. I certainly didn't struggle with this the way I struggled with Sleuth of Ming Dynasty or My Room Mate is a Detective. Despite hearing that it was a show that moved slowly I didn't find it so nor was I ever frustrated by fillery content.

Ancient Detective despite the name, is very much a wuxia story. It is deeply concerned with jiang hu morality, code of honour, values and heroism. Solving crimes and staying alive is what the protagonist does but the show follows the wuxia template in rather inventive ways. For instance the titular character of this jiang hu story doesn't have any martial arts ability and instead relies on his smarts to solve problems and get out of predicaments with the help of his pugilist offsiders. Moreover he has been poisoned twice so the clock is ticking for him as he moves from place to find the answer to the mystery behind his amnesia.

This is one that I highly recommend especially for those who love a good detective story.

7 hours ago, tothestars said:

Why Bai Cao Zhe went to Han Yue Villa and pretend to be King of Beggar, and he met Jian Bu Ze there, like what he explained in the end. 

I don't think he was pretending to be the chief of the Beggar Clan as such. I think he was also the chief of the Beggar Clan as well as the chief of Yan Mountain. He is someone who gets around. According to Jian Buzhi, Bai Caozhe is someone who has multiple identities. The show doesn't say more than that but my opinion is that he takes on these identities to ensure the stability of jiang hu. To maintain some kind of balance of power so that no one group becomes too ambitious or too powerful. Because he's not a villain, it's basically his way of keeping various groups or factions in check.

My understanding is that he came away from the Wang Hua and Jian Jin-huan fight 8 years earlier feeling really guilty that he didn't act courageously on that occasion in effect letting a good man die. His guilt and shame led him to become more proactive about keeping the peace in the martial arts community. Compared to the other 3, he wanted to atone for their sin of not dealing with Wang Hua as they had promised JJH.

17 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I don't think he was pretending to be the chief of the Beggar Clan as such. I think he was also the chief of the Beggar Clan as well as the chief of Yan Mountain. He is someone who gets around. According to Jian Buzhi, Bai Caozhe is someone who has multiple identities. The show doesn't say more than that but my opinion is that he takes on these identities to ensure the stability of jiang hu. To maintain some kind of balance of power so that no one group becomes too ambitious or too powerful. Because he's not a villain, it's basically his way of keeping various groups or factions in check.

My understanding is that he came away from the Wang Hua and Jian Jin-huan fight 8 years earlier feeling really guilty that he didn't act courageously on that occasion in effect letting a good man die. His guilt and shame led him to become more proactive about keeping the peace in the martial arts community. Compared to the other 3, he wanted to atone for their sin of not dealing with Wang Hua as they had promised JJH.

Ah your analysis is spot on, i never think about it thoroughly, really. I think i have to rewatch the scene where Chief Wang first time saw Wang Hua as Jian Bu Ze. I forgot whether he was shocked or not, since he also being poisoned so his memory has been defected. I remember Chief Li from Hua Yan Villa, he was shocked when he was trying to recognize Jian BuZe by touching his hands. Whether he was realized that the man in front of him is not the real Jian Bu Ze or he recognized the man was Wang Hua.

On 7/10/2020 at 1:26 AM, tothestars said:

Ah your analysis is spot on, i never think about it thoroughly, really. I think i have to rewatch the scene where Chief Wang first time saw Wang Hua as Jian Bu Ze. I forgot whether he was shocked or not, since he also being poisoned so his memory has been defected. I remember Chief Li from Hua Yan Villa, he was shocked when he was trying to recognize Jian BuZe by touching his hands. Whether he was realized that the man in front of him is not the real Jian Bu Ze or he recognized the man was Wang Hua.

In Chief Li's case, (2nd Li Master) I think he was wondering why Jian Bu-zhi's face felt cold. At least that's what he said. By then Jian had already been poisoned by the bugs and the Cold Palm technique.

If you're interested in what else I think about the show, you might want to take a look at my blog.

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

In Chief Li's case, (2nd Li Master) I think he was wondering why Jian Bu-zhi's face felt cold. At least that's what he said. By then Jian had already been poisoned by the bugs and the Cold Palm technique.

If you're interested in what else I think about the show, you might want to take a look at my blog.

Yeah i think Chief Li's was just reasoning, not revealing his truth reason, since he knew Jian had already been poisoned back then, he witnessed it.

Yes i want to read your opinion! Link for your blog plz...

9 hours ago, tothestars said:

Yeah i think Chief Li's was just reasoning, not revealing his truth reason, since he knew Jian had already been poisoned back then, he witnessed it.

That's an interesting thought. He could have been pretending when he realised that Jian Bu-zhi 

Spoiler

might not be who he said he was.

At the end of the day, what he remembered about Shenji Valley and what he realised at that cliff top is lost to jiang hu for now. What's interesting too about all the untimely deaths of the survivors is that rather than just hiding some dark secret, it is also about protecting the legacy of Jian Jin-huan who was by all accounts a really great man and raise a champion in his stead. It's an act of atonement.

Go here for my analysis of the "puppet" motif. It's full of spoilers.

• Guest changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Ancient Detective 侠探简不知

Archived