[variety] Love Choice '선택남녀' (aka Selection Couple)

[sBS] (Realtime Saturday) Kim Yong Man

1. Thread Rules

2. About the Show

• Broadcast Time

• Premise

• Contestants

• Show Format

• Explanation of Games

[*]

[*]

• Non-Clubbox

• Clubbox

[*]

[*]
    Miscellaneous Information

grassbar.gif

I. Thread Rules

1. READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE POSTING!!!

2. DO NOT ask for links to downloads (of shows that JUST aired) or subs in the thread. Folks are posting them as a courtesy to us all so
    just be patient
    . When they are available, they'll be posted.

3. If the information you are looking for isn't located here, please check
    before asking in the thread.

4. Please read at least 2 pages of the latest posts prior to posting. Most likely, the question that you want to ask has already been answered. It's selfish to think that your time is too valuable to bother to read the previous posts, but other people's time isn't.

5. Let's keep this thread a happy place. Be considerate of other posters.

II. About the Show

• Broadcast Time
    Love Choice airs Saturdays at 5:40 pm (Korea Time) on SBS as part of their Realtime Saturday lineup. It took over the timeslot left vacant when Real Romance Love Letter was canceled. If you are wondering what that is in your time, go to Time Converter Calculator and select your timezone to find out.

• Premise
    MC: Kim YongMan

Each episode consists of 6 male and 3 female contestants, each vying for the affections of their "love choice" through conversations and various games.

The pilot episode consisted of the female contestant chosing between the two male contestants who chose her.

Starting episode 2, each edition was extended from one episode to two episodes. More games were added and there was more interaction between all contestants, not just within the triangle that was formed in the beginning. Also, the love choice was given to the male contestants as well as the female contestants. A successful love choice could only be made if the person you chose, chose you in return. For the male contestant, all they need is to be chosen by any female contestant to move on to the next edition. For the female contestant, they need to be chosen by the male contestant that they chose in order to move on to the next edition. New contestants come on to fill the spots left vacant by those who weren't chosen to make up 6 male and 3 female contestants.

At the end of the first two part edition, the official website conducted a viewer poll asking "Of those who were eliminated, whom do you want to return?" and that contestant got a reprieve and also moved on to the next edition.

• Contestants
    Male contestants comprise of singers, actors, TV personalities, etc.

Female contestants comprise of women who must be at least 20 and are college students or otherwise employed. Some are aspiring actresses, models, and such and have appeared in MVs, modeling, CFs, etc. The show is actively recruiting female contestants on the official website by asking prospective contestants to provide the following:

• Name
    • Korean Social Security Number
    • Address
    • Contact number
    • Affiliation (job/school)
    • Self introduction
    • Photograph

[*]Show Format

Individual Interview

(1st - 3rd Editions Only) The male contestants go into a room where the 3 female contestants are and answer questions asked by them to determine whom they'd like to choose.

(From 4th Edition)The interview is conducted with the female contestants hidden behind doors and the male contestants asking the question. Based on the interviews alone, without knowing how they look like, the male contestants choose to whom they'd like to give a rose.

Initial Choice:

(1st Edition Only) Based on the interviews, the female contestants collectively rate the male contestants in order of preference. The top ranked male gets to have a choice of with which female contestants they would like to be paired. However, only 2 males could choose the same female.

(2nd & 3rd Edition) Based on the interviews, the male contestants select the female that they are interested in by picking up the hearts with the contestant numbers on them from a box. There are only 2 hearts per box so if by the time you choose the number of the contestant that you want is gone, you have to choose another contestant.

(4th Edition)

Group Interview

Starting the 2nd Edition, all the contestants are given a chance to ask questions of each other after the initial Love Choice is made.

Games: see below for explanation of various games played

Midway Choice - 중간선택:

The female contestant gets to keep one of her male suitors by placing their card on the table and toss out another while getting a male contestant from another team. The lowest ranked female (based on previous selection and games) goes first, thus giving the top ranked female the final choice.

Games: see below for explanation of various games played

The Last Choice - 마지막 선택:

(1st Edition Only) The female contestant makes the final choice of who wants to be her love choice among the two male contestants who were vying for her by placing the card with her choice on the table.

(From 2nd Edition on) The female contestant makes the final choice of who wants to be her love choice among ALL the male contestants by placing the card with her choice on the table. Then the male contestants reveal their choice which they made prior to the women's choice; each of them have a card with the picture of their choice in their pockets. When both the male and female contestant's choices match, then there is a love match. Whomever the female chooses, stays in the game and moves on to the next edition. However, for a female contestant, she must be chosen by the one she chose to move on to the next edition.

[*]Explanation of Games

Secret Interview (aka Telephone Game) - 귓속말 인터뷰:

The MC asks the female contestant various questions via an earphone which only the female contestants have and they answer by saying yes or no only or doing as the MC asks. The questions in the negative (e.g. "Who do you think is the least attractive? Rub his head") is mixed in with questions in the positive (e.g. "Who has the best smile?") so as not to let the male contestants know whom she likes better. Starting Episode 2, this game is played with the female contestant and only her male suitors (after the initial Interview) as well as with all male contestants (after the Midway Choice).

Love Talk - 말하자면 굳이...:

Based on the MC's questions, the female contestant answers.

Thus far, this segment has included the following variations:

• Giving the person chosen a toy hammer to hit the one not chosen
    • Giving the person who was chosen a rose

Love's Pyramid - 사랑의 피라미드:

A chance for the female contestants to see physical strengths of their partners as well as the physical strengths of other male contestants. Among the 3 team members, they must form a group configuration using only the required number of hands (손) and feet (발). Each segment is introduced by a dance segment to help loosen up the contestants. This segment determines the rankings of the females; the first team to fail in their configuration is ranked last and the last team standing is ranked first.

Tell The Truth in 5 Syllables/Words - 솔직히 말해:

A contestant is given an opportunity to ask another contestant a question using 5 syllables/words. Then that contestant who is asked a question could give a response in 5 syllables/words OR could just choose to ignore the question altogether. The contestant who is asked a question is the one who is able to ask the next question. When The arms flapping in the beginning of each segment is to introduce the next 5 Syllables/Words. For an example of what types of questions and answers are, go to Ep. 3 - 5 Syllable/Word Game Translation.

Closer and Closer - 가까이 더 가까이:

With the male rivals standing at opposite ends and the female in the middle with a flower, the female contestant goes closer to the person that moves her heart after each person's love gesture (it's up to her how much she is moved, she could choose to take one step of go straight to handing the flower to the person)

Snow White and the Six Dwarfs - 백설공주와 여섯난쟁이:

The male contestants, dressed in dwarf costumes have to race, grab an apple that's hanging from a bar above them, and then give the apple to the female contestant. Then the winning male contestant repeats the race, grabs the apple, and gives the female contestant the apple, but this time the female contestant, also dressed in a dwarf costume has to take the apple and race to the finish line. The finishing order determines the ranking among the teams.

[*]Location

Each episode is filmed at the English Village which is located at Songpa-gu in southeastern Seoul, South Korea. Songpa-gu is also the home of Lotte Hotel and Lotte World. English Village has become the site of numerous MV, CF, and TV show filmings.

III. Episode Guide

IV. Download Links

V. Song List

VI. Miscellaneous Information

*** Credits: jazzler, my_immortality, and jina_bing_bang for proofreading and editing of this page, and all those who provided downloads/links/information whose names appear in parentheses following their contribution.

For corrections, credits, updates, broken links, and to volunteer to translate/sub, please PM damifino

Last updated by

damifino on 12/09/06.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest suejinners

reminds me of this old show... i forgot the title.

park kyung lim was the host... I think... dang..

the first episode has a great line up.

Guest my_littlefish

ohhhh yunho's guest in first episode can't wait to watch this sho actaully i like love letter but long long time i don't watch love letter and this show still the same love letter i think...just change the name and something...the girls....anyway i wanna seee my favorite star're there wanna see yunho...

Ohhh so Love Letter is being taken off. I guess since it ios getting boring. But OMG I CAN'T WAIT, JUNJIN!!!!!!!!!!! Plus MC Mong, Yunho and Sung Shi Kyung. That's a pretty good line up for a first show. S i guess the female gusts are just regular people? not celebrities.

Guest thoyting

I really LOVE the guest list though.. My two favorties from DBSG and Shinhwa.. I don't mind watching it if it have my people in it.. HAHA Yunho and Junjin.. that why I'm going to watch it.. but then again.. is this show going to be sub?

I mean I'm going to miss LL.. it was the only show beside xman that I watch, because of subs (THANK YOU SUBBING TEAM) and now LL is ending.. I won't have much to watch or look forward to on the weekend...

WHY WHY WHY did they have to end LL.. It was just starting to get good!!!

Guest AmiHeartsYou<3

I'll miss Love Letter and I hope that Selection Couple will be as fun as LL. x] Also I'm looking forward to see Yunho in the show. >///<

Guest shiverbaby

wow ! A new show ... I hope it's as good as LL ...

Actually I think that LL is so exciting , and now they change the guest ... some fresh air ...

Love J2 And MC mong ...looking forward to seeing them .

Archived