Yoo Ji Tae 유지태

Guest valley girl

August 27, 2016

Yoo Ji-tae Says He's Nothing Like His Role in 'Good Wife' Remake

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

Yoo Ji-tae

Actor Yoo Ji-tae plays an ambitious prosecutor in a remake of the hit U.S. TV series "The Good Wife" on cable channel tvN, which wraps up its 16-episode run this week.

Yoo plays a man who is unfaithful to his wife but paradoxically devoted to his family, and who keeps his marriage intact to further his social success and recognition.

"In reality, I couldn't be more different from my role in the series," Yoo said. "I tried hard to relate to his way of thinking. I think he becomes a kind of monster, losing his innocence as he is overly obsessed with pursuing his ambitions," he added.

Instead of a stereotyped portrayal of good versus evil, “The Good Wife” has subtle nuance and complex conflicts between characters.

The wife, played by Cannes-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon, has an affair with a colleague after her husband is jailed following a political corruption and sex scandal.

"It is still hard to gauge how the character feels about his wife, but life is not a textbook. Feelings change. People's actions are the result of multiple factors, so we simply justify what we do wrong, or try to cover it up. Viewers responded well to the ambiguity of the series and its complicated storyline," he said.

Yoo agreed to bulk up to add a hint of menace to his already imposing presence. The 188-cm-tall actor built up his back and shoulder muscles, gaining about 5 kg. "Thanks for complimenting my broad shoulders, but now I have to lose weight for my next project," he said.

Yoo, who has written and directed a short film, watches classic movies and studies cinematography in his spare time. "I hope to create a film festival featuring independent films and documentaries in Korea, similar to the Sundance Film Festival," he said. 

Asked if he planned to become a full-time director, he said, "I can't give up acting. Each role is an opportunity to show my own style of acting. I think acting helps one to be a good director."

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yoo Ji-tae Says He's Nothing Like His Role in 'Good Wife' Remake

photo759068.jpg

Actor Yoo Ji-tae plays an ambitious prosecutor in a remake of the hit U.S. TV series "The Good Wife" on cable channel tvN, which wraps up its 16-episode run this week.

Yoo plays a man who is unfaithful to his wife but paradoxically devoted to his family, and who keeps his marriage intact to further his social success and recognition.

"In reality, I couldn't be more different from my role in the series", Yoo said. "I tried hard to relate to his way of thinking. I think he becomes a kind of monster, losing his innocence as he is overly obsessed with pursuing his ambitions", he added.

Instead of a stereotyped portrayal of good versus evil, "The Good Wife" has subtle nuance and complex conflicts between characters.

The wife, played by Cannes-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon, has an affair with a colleague after her husband is jailed following a political corruption and sex scandal.

"It is still hard to gauge how the character feels about his wife, but life is not a textbook. Feelings change. People's actions are the result of multiple factors, so we simply justify what we do wrong, or try to cover it up. Viewers responded well to the ambiguity of the series and its complicated storyline", he said.

Yoo agreed to bulk up to add a hint of menace to his already imposing presence. The 188-cm-tall actor built up his back and shoulder muscles, gaining about 5 kg. "Thanks for complimenting my broad shoulders, but now I have to lose weight for my next project", he said.

Yoo, who has written and directed a short film, watches classic movies and studies cinematography in his spare time. "I hope to create a film festival featuring independent films and documentaries in Korea, similar to the Sundance Film Festival", he said. 

Asked if he planned to become a full-time director, he said, "I can't give up acting. Each role is an opportunity to show my own style of acting. I think acting helps one to be a good director".

source

Yoo Ji-tae, "It's just acting, I don't want to lose any competition"

photo759204.jpg

"I am a rookie. I want to attempt at anything with a wide heart so I can win anyone if we were to battle in acting".

Actor Yoo Ji-tae takes on the role of Lee Tae-joon, a prosecutor who will do for anything he thinks is justice in the tvN drama "The Good Wife". He is misunderstood when a scandal breaks out but he's confident about himself. He is a character somewhere in between 'a lover and trash'.

When he was in a scandal with Amber (Ray Yang) and Kim Dan (Nana), he was closer to 'trash'. Still, it's hard to deny that he's a strong character with two different personalities. Yoo Ji-tae claims he wanted to show all this himself and thought hard about how he's going to make it happen.

"I found out about Kim Dan later. The director is good at negotiating and he knows it. I wondered how I could bring it out through my acting. I realized that if I played my part sincerely, then the viewers would understand".

Lee Tae-joon told him son himself about Kim Dan. He was dealing with child custody with Kim Hye-kyeong (Jeon Do-yeon) and he seemed inconsistent compared to the Yoo Ji-tae so far in the drama so this is where the viewers got a little shock. However, Yoo Ji-tae himself changed the line, 'Let's talk later' to 'When you grow up, can you give me a chance to explain this to you again?'

photo759205.jpg

"I didn't want to lie to my 'son'. I made up the line but the director wanted to try it out. As a father, I wanted to tell my son about the reality he's going to have to face. People don't live like they say in the books and we have passion and desire. I would do the same thing to my own son".

Yoo Ji-tae called Lee Tae-joon a monster. Acting out this "Monster" got him so engrossed that sometimes he has to face 'human Yoo Ji-tae'. Mannerism is something those actors with over 20 years of experience go through.

"I try to look for consent. The accident scene from the past looks so pathetic; asking my wife for a favor for a small accident like that. I think respecting the writer of the story means sticking to it and making it work. Sometimes they try too hard and go overboard but making that work is what my job is".

Yoo Ji-tae claims there is a difference in a single line or a single word. In the scene where he threatens Seo Joong-won (Yoon Kye-sang), he wondered if he should just threaten the guy or bring out his desire. So he suggested they try two versions.

"Words are the result of thought. Thought comes from common sense. It reflects someone's character. So to make it become dimensional, I think about things like this".

This is the first time he's co-starring with Jeon Do-yeon. Her presence alone is a big stimulant for Yoo Ji-tae.

photo759206.jpg

"I made episodes one, two, three and four in one day. It was possible because I was in jail. I asked Jeon Do-yeon about my emotions and it got me thinking about my values in acting, observing and career. She said she wanted her opponent to feel exactly what she felt. Even when the cameras aren't rolling, she tries to stay in her character. She was born to be an actress. It's not just about energy or will power. She impressed me".

Yoo Ji-tae started acting in his 20s and now he's in his 40s. His career has led to him becoming a director as well and life's just got even more fun for him. He seems to enjoy the tension but he says it's 'agonizing'.

"Jeon Do-yeon might have it worse but any actor in their 40s had a rough patch. I always want to be the best and that's what bothers me. The viewers will know if I'm doing my best or not".

Yoo Ji-tae is sure he can recreate any character. That's why he's so annalistic all the time. If there's something he wants to try again, it's the character from "Old Boy". He's sure no one can take his place.

"A French organizer said to me Woo-jin is beautiful. It's very important what image you decide to give your character. The word "Beautiful" is not just about the character but also about me at my age 29. If Woo-jin was an old man he wouldn't have been as popular. That's why I think Tae-joon is best done by me".

He's got a lot of greed for acting. "I have greed nowhere else". Now he's into cross-fit and does it twice a day. He started this hobby thanks to a movie. He loves fighting with himself.

"I like testing people. I start fighting with myself to test if I can do something no one else can. Did you see when I stabbed Jo Gook-hyeon in the hand? You need to be obsessed to survive. I don't want to be a loser even in a battle with Hollywood actors. Acting is my life and I'll do it until I die".

source

August 30, 2016

Yoo Ji-tae dangerously good as the villian:

‘The Good Wife’ star looks back at complex role as a hot bad guy

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

29205702.jpg

Yoo Ji-tae [PARK SE-WAN]

Are all villains sexy? Actor Yoo Ji-tae’s role in the recent drama series “The Good Wife” on tvN was a dangerously attractive bad boy that viewers could not get enough of. 

In the Korean remake of “The Good Wife,” Yoo plays the role of Lee Tae-jun, a power-hungry prosecutor who goes any length to reach success. Over the course of the show, he cheats on his wife several times and kills a person. But he remains obsessive about his wife. 

Because Yoo was so good as a villain, viewers confused the real Yoo Ji-tae with the character, leading to many nasty online comments around the web. It was the first time the actor played such a villainous role on the small screen. 

With his complex portrayal of the character, Yoo earned the nickname sseurangggun, a Korean portmanteau of trash and romantic. 

Here are edited excerpts from an interview with Yoo. 

Q. The filming for “The Good Wife” ended yesterday [August 24.] How do you feel? 

A. All the actors gathered together and shared our thoughts. It was indeed a good team. Everyone tried to do their best. I feel like I just finished a film. 

Why did it feel like doing a film and not a drama series? 

I try not to draw a line between films and drama but the teamwork was so good and everyone was so considerate of each other. We were like family. I’ve never done a drama series with such a good team. 

What made you play the role of Lee Tae-jun? 

I was hesitant when I was first offered the role. But like I said at the press day event before, I had trust in the production team and other actors. People around me also highly recommended that I take the role. I also wanted to take on the challenge of the role as an actor. 

Did the production team ask anything specific from you for the role of Lee Tae-jun? 

The role called for an actor with a large physique. The production team asked me to work on my muscles. Thanks to that, the kiss scene [of Yoo] got 1.4 million views online [because Yoo is shirtless in that scene]. 

How did you interpret the original US drama series? 

I only watched the first four episodes. As an actor, I wanted to do a kind of competition [with the original cast] and wanted to show them my interpretation of the role. I tried to stay true to the scripts. I also tried to make Lee Tae-jun look like a complex, realistic character. 

Is Lee Tae-jun a bad guy or a good guy? 

It’s hard to draw a sharp line when we define a person because we all have good and bad inside us. I think Lee Tae-jun is a type of person who is easily influenced by the ambition and desire within him. 

What was the most difficult part of the role? 

I had to think of ways to add layers to the character. Because the scripts were not 100 percent done while we were shooting the drama, I had to interpret the character in a short period of time. 

What was it like working with veteran actress Jeon Do-yeon [who plays the role of Lee Tae-jun’s wife]? 

I had to shoot many dramatic scenes with her. In one scene, she slapped me in the face. It was quite impressive to see her asking questions like “Is this real?” to herself throughout the production. Actors tend not to take acting seriously when they do it for decades but she kept acting even when the camera didn’t zoom in on her. She’s a good actor. 

Is there a possibility of a second season of “The Good Wife?” 

As far as I know, making a remake is a costly project. I can’t say for sure but there is a chance of a second season all thanks to the positive reviews about the first season. 

Your next project is a film. 

In the upcoming film, I play the role of a prosecutor who is real and more vicious than Lee Tae-jun. Another film “Split” will be released in November, too. I play a retired professional bowling player who is very funny. 

Are you interested in playing some comical roles? 

I love to play roles that make people smile. 

Can we see another film of yours directed by yourself sometime in the near future? 

I’m working on the script of a film for now. I try to write scripts whenever I have time. But I’m more focused on acting. 

How do you balance your work and life? 

I think having balance is the most important thing in life. I don’t want to give up on the ordinary pleasures of life just because I’m an actor. 

BY PARK JUNG-SUN [so@joongang.co.kr]

August 31, 2016

[Interview] Yoon Kye Sang, "I had to be alert between Jeon Do Yeon and Yoo Ji Tae"

Source: Sports Hankooki via Hancinema.net

fullsizephoto736639.jpg

"One of my favorite dramas is still "Alone in Love". It has been since I was in the military. I wanted to do something like that and "The Good Wife" has fulfilled my wish. The drama let me realize that love is the only truth in this world of contradiction. It's influenced me a lot".

It's been 13 years since Yoon Kye-sang started acting. He is no longer an 'actor turned idol'. He's been acting steadily for a while now and he seems relaxed.

Yoon Kye-sang took on the role of Seo Joong-won, a CEO of a law firm and Kim Hye-kyeong's (Jeon Do-yeon) lover and supporter. Seo Joong-won is a twofold character. He does anything for money but he changes after he meets Kim Hye-kyeong. His motivation is and always her.

"It was hard being Seo Joong-won. He seems like the White Knight and he seems like an easy character but he actually isn't. There's no impressive scene of him, so he could turn blurry. A character like that who is cold towards some people but warm towards others, is very hard to work out. It was only true that I didn't stand out in the beginning of "The Good Wife". I don't even have a house in the drama. I have no background. I get an identity from the fourth episode where I start running into Lee Tae-joon".

In a recollection scene, Seo Joong-won in glasses is waiting outside a training institute for Kim Hye-kyeong with flowers to confess his love for her. This innocent man becomes different after he becomes the CEO of a law firm. Yoon says, 'he's been addicted to doing bad things'. Yoon Kye-sang and Seo Joong-won aren't alike but he says he can relate.

"Seo Joong-won is responsible for a law firm so he has to manage the organization. He has to go through lawsuits to keep the firm going and he also has to fire people sometimes. The scene where he leaves a sweet message for Kim Hye-kyeong expresses him the best. "My plan is to love you" is very Seo Joong-won-like. It's like he's saying he's going to give up the law firm for her. That hit me realistically".

Yoon Kye-sang gave himself 80 out of 100 in "The Good Wife". That's because he acted with consciousness and he always fulfilled what he planned. The other 20 is because he thinks it's up to the public. "I have no regrets. I'll do the same even if I go back".

"Working on the drama was fun. I don't think about much when I'm around people. "The Good Wife" took four months to make 16 episodes. This is the same as making a single movie into two parts every week. It was really quick. We didn't cause a lot of NGs. I did, because of the legal terms (laughs)".

He's always wanted to work with Jeon Do-yeon and Yoo Ji-tae. Their existence alone helps him. That's why he had to stay alert otherwise he would be compared to them.

"Jeon Do-yeon is the best. Feedback? They don't care. They don't interfere with others' acting. They know how hard it is and they know it's not something one can fix just like that. I've done about 20 dramas and movies and I have never met anyone like her. She has amazing aura. She got that power around her".

"The Good Wife" started off with 4% and ended with 6.7%. It could be disappointing compared to the expectations but Yoon Kye-sang disagrees.

"I don't think it's disappointing. "The Good Wife" is the starting point for everyone. For some it's a comeback drama, for some it's been a turning point and others it's just the beginning. It was just right. However, the reason why the numbers slowed down is because of sentiment. The sentiment of the drama is quite hard to accept in Korea still. Still, the production didn't change anything and went along with it".

Spoiler

photo760269.jpg

Yoon Kye-sang has no plans at the moment. He wants to do something bright and energetic. He's either done just bright or just dark. Seo Joong-won is somewhere in between. When he was asked if he will do season 2 of "The Good Wife", he answered, "I will if everyone from the first are in on it".

"I'm going to take a break for now. I want to go on vacation. I need time to enjoy some leisure. But "The Bacchus Lady" is coming out soon. I like the movie's message, even though I don't appear much in it. I also want to try a historical drama".

He has two pets named Gamsa and Haeyo. They are the only kinds of dog breeds he can raise. He spends time walking with them in the park.

"I have allergies to animals. I get swollen easily but these dogs have no oil in their fur and they don't fall out as much. They are so lovable. Marriage? I still find work interesting so I think it's better we support each other and work a little bit more".

It's only Park Joon-hyeong who's seen the drama "The Good Wife". g.o.d is also in motion and it takes time for the members to get together to make plans. It seems like they are going to make a comeback.

"I heard that Sechs Kies are coming back. I hope they do well. Reunions are not a joke. It took us years to do it because everyone has a life. We had to give up many things and spare each other to make the concert possible".

• 1 month later...

October 11, 2016

Where is Yoo Ji Tae? Kim Hyo Jin on vacation with son

Source: Nate via Hancinema.net

photo772061.jpg

Actress Kim Hyo-jin is with her son Soo-in.

She posted a picture on Instagram saying, "He's still sleepy from his nap. We prayed in the chapel".

She's standing in front of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France with her son. She's looking at him with full of love

October 23, 2016

"Split" Yoo Ji-tae smiling with Talk Striker Awards

Source: Etoday via Hancinema.net

photo776250.jpg

A picture of Yoo Ji-tae was posted on Instagram by his agency saying, "He was so cute at the premiere of the movie "Split" today. It's coming out in November and then "2 Days and 1 Night"".

Yoo Ji-tae is smiling with a bowling pin in his hand. That's the Talk Striker Award from the movie "Split".

Meanwhile, "Split" is a movie about bowling starring Yoo Ji-tae, Lee Jeong-hyeon, Lee David and Jeong Seong-hwa.

• 2 weeks later...

November 7, 2016

‘Split’ bowls its way into hearts:

The heartwarming drama tells refreshing tale of love for a sport

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

06190921.jpg

The gambling drama “Split,” starring actors Yoo Ji-tae, left, and Lee David, mixes humor, a heartwarming story and even a little bit of romance. [OPUS PICTURES]

Crime and gambling-filled story lines have been a part of some of the most well-received movies domestically over the last few years. The huge success of the gambling film “The War of Flower,” which marked over 5.5 million ticket sales in 2006, when the film market wasn’t as big, proved that the underground betting world ruled by good-looking men and women with the addition of humor was appealing to moviegoers.

However, as more and more movies with similar plots have hit local theaters, people have gradually started losing interest in the genre. In addition, the repetitive scenes, scripts and mise-en-scene found in gambling films have also made the genre unattractive to many high profile actors, who used to fill the casts of the high-profile movies. 

At least that was the case for A-list star Yoo Ji-tae (“Oldboy”), who continuously refused to join a gambling flick until he read the script of the upcoming gambling film “Split,” he said at a press event held in Gwangjin District, eastern Seoul, on Monday. 

Referring to a situation in ten pin bowling, where a ball knocks down all the pins except for two or more non-adjacent pins, “Split” is helmed by a rookie director Choi Kook-hee (“Carnival”) and co-stars actress Lee Jung-hyun (“Alice in Earnestland”) and actor Lee David (“Unforgettable”). 

The plot follows a fallen bowling pro (Yoo), who gets involved in betting with a female broker (Lee). The once-renowned and promising player falls into the underground gambling world as he no longer is able to compete with the pros after severely hurting his leg in a car accident. 

Just when he is about to give up gambling, he finds an autistic boy (Lee) who is extremely talented and passionate about bowling. By involving the boy in the underground world, the fallen pro bowler and his broker’s dreams of earning a great fortune comes true.

What starts off as a drama becomes heartwarming as the characters form bonds. 

Although the ex-bowler originally took in the boy for his own financial benefit, he slowly changes his mind after gaining affection towards the boy. When the former bowler’s jealousy-filled ex-rival attempts to break up the pair’s relationship, he willingly gives all of his money to get the boy back.

The boy is one of the most crucial characters in the story, as he cures wounds and makes the other characters’ lives happier. 

This story grasped the heart of actor Yoo.

“I don’t mean to disparage, but I have received several gambling scripts, but I have turned them all down because they were boring and unoriginal,” said Yoo.

“However, there was something different about ‘Split.’ The script was interesting and I thought it was worth a challenge.” Yoo added, “There haven’t been many prominent bowling movies and I believe the filmmaker grasped the material for ‘Split’ very well.”

It won’t be easy for many moviegoers to be disappointed at this film, as it is a slight mixture of everything. 

It includes a heart-warming story, bits of humor from the autistic boy’s unique bowling pose, tension that comes from huge gambling bets and the gratifying delight of bowling success.

When questioned where he got the concept from, the director replied, “I once went to a bowling alley and saw an autistic man who was bowling in a hilarious pose. Although his pose was absurd, his performance was strangely high.”

The filmmaker added that he couldn’t let go of the image of that man for days, which resulted in the creation of “Split.”

The filmmaker went on to explain how the characters were created.

“If there is an [autistic] bowling genius, I was sure that there would be someone who tried to take advantage of the genius’s ability. This idea led to the creation of the main protagonist.”

The film is expected to give audiences a sense of victory and sincerity throughout the 121 minutes. 

The movie is slated to open in theaters on Nov. 10, and is rated 15 and over.

BY JIN MIN-JI [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr]

November 10, 2016

(Movie Review) 'Split' rises above life's trials with warmth

By Lee Haye-ah

SEOUL, Nov. 10 (Yonhap) -- When two people, each with a different disability, meet with a common passion for bowling, their lives take an unexpected turn toward redemption from past guilt and fear.

"Split," by director Choi Kook-hee, transports audiences to the underground world of gambling in bowling, where former athletes, criminal gangs and shady businessmen bet on each other's scores. It is no doubt dark, with elements of a film noir, but Choi skilfully weaves a story of compassion, courage and hope through the chance meeting of two bowling geniuses.

The first is former bowling legend Yun Cheol-jong, played by Yoo Ji-tae. After a near-fatal car accident badly injures one of his legs, the bowler resorts to selling fake petrol by day and bowling in gambling games by night. One day he spots a young man hitting strike after strike and suggests they become a team.

The young man is called Young-hoon (played by Lee David) and appears to have autism. At first, he rejects Yun because of his engrained belief that two men can't play as a team. But after some convincing, mainly with candy, Young-hoon agrees to play, and the two set off on a dramatic journey of friendship, healing and success.

The movie is raw and tense in its depictions of the violent and competitive world of gambling. It reveals social discrimination against the disabled and the cruelty of people blinded by greed through scenes where Cheol-jong and Young-hoon are physically and emotionally abused.

But there is warmth, humor and redemption in the unlikely friendship between the two protagonists and what they achieve in the end.

Director Choi engages audiences throughout the 121-minute running time by telling the story in slices. For example, he doesn't reveal the real story behind the car accident or the real reason Young-hoon is so attached to Cheol-jong until near the end.

Much of the film's strength also lies in the solid acting of the cast.

In his role as a mentally disabled man, Lee is realistic and endearing, while Yoo portrays the psychological and emotional suffering of his traumatized character with charisma and charm.

Of course, there are times when one can't help but feel that the protagonists get too lucky. There could just be one too many strikes and the incredible pace of recovery from physical abuse.

But the underlying message gives audiences food for thought and a feeling of hope.

Life sometimes gives people a second chance.

"Split" opened in local theaters on Wednesday.

The official poster for "Split" (Yonhap)

The official poster for "Split" (Yonhap)

hague@yna.co.kr

• 2 weeks later...

November 15, 2016

[Interview] "Split" Yoo Ji-tae suggested foil perm for movie image

Source: The Fact via Hancinema.net

photo784560.jpg

Actor Yoo Ji-tae is back with a shady character.

He stars in the movie "Split" which was released on the 9th as Cheol-jong. He was a national athlete at one point of his life but lost everything due to an accident, became a petroleum salesman during the day and a gambling bowler at night.

Yoo Ji-tae debuted in 1998 and he has been acting for 19 years now. He starred in various movies like "Old Boy", "Attack the Gas Station!" and many more. The Fact interviewed the actor who is back with a whole new image.

- How was the making of "Split"?

Yoo Ji-tae: It was fun. I was an actor with a strong image of the city but this time I turned into a shady one. I felt pressured at first but I was able to create an image of my own.

photo784561.jpg

- How did you analyze Cheol-jong?

Cheol-jong seemed like a dark person when I first read the scenario. He looked like he was impenetrable. The more I read about him I thought it'd be easier to make him seem funny. I also thought I should focus more on emotion rather than lines. Before that, if I'd concentrated on being appropriate and accurate, this time I did the opposite. There are some scenes which I thought would be an NG but the producer said it was alright.

Because Cheol-jong had suffered before, I joked more and cussed more to make it seem like he was covering it up. I wanted him to seem like he lived freely so I suggested I get a foil perm. I think image is important in movies.

- Did your bowling improve while you filmed the movie? And do you usually like sports?

I pulled up my average to 180 in four months. 190 is the pro test score. The second test requires 200. I even thought about going pro after 3 months.

I like sports. I like to put out my stress playing sports. Cross Fit is a good workout for actors. I want to try boxing and kick boxing as well.

photo784562.jpg

- How was working with Lee David?

Lee David's character of Yeong-hoon, is a character who lives in his own world. I'm not a very witty person so I felt uncomfortable poking him but I had to open up his heart so I threw cheesy jokes at him and did my best.

Lee David has a strong passion for acting. I felt like he did a good job with his character this time and I anticipated what he would make out of it.

- How was working with Lee Jeong-hyeon?

I am grateful to her. She joined "Split" after she got the Best Actress at the Blue Dragon Awards. She was good support and she has the greatest experience of having worked with Park Chan-wook before. She appealed to the cast by talking about her good times like, 'I did this and got complimented', 'it worked like this for me' and such.

Park Chan-wook handled everything perfectly. After going through a movie, some people expect the others to do things in a certain way but Choi Gook-hee also had his merits. Lee Jeong-hyeon and I were able to communicate with him.

photo784563.jpg

- What kind of actor is Yoo Ji-tae?

I've lived an intense life and I think I've been a good person and actor. I've met good movie makers and actors and my standards are high because of them. I haven't been in a situation like Cheol-jong before.

- Do you have a motto in life?

"Speak with sincerity and live by it"

- You've also debuted as a producer before. We hear you're preparing something new.

That's right. This time social matters are involved with this one and since I like dramas, I'm going to make it a drama. My final target is becoming an actor and producer like Clint Eastwood. I think Jeong Seong-hwa is great because he started off as a comedian and became one of the top musical actors. He must've had his difficulties at first and he must've put in so much effort to get to where he is today. I also want to break down stereotype thoughts and make it happen.

• 1 month later...

December 26, 2016

Kim Hyo Jin And Yoo Ji Tae’s Son Is An Adorable Doppelganger

Source: Soompi by JiwonYu 

Kim Hyo Jin Yoo Ji Tae

Actress Kim Hyo Jin revealed an adorable photo of her son Soo In.

On December 26, she uploaded the photo on her Instagram with the caption, “My love. He’s been getting better at communicating these days and has been chatty all day like a bird. I love him to death.”

Meanwhile, actors Kim Hyo Jin and Yoo Ji Tae got married in 2011 and had their son Soo In in 2014.

What a cute photo!

Source (1)

• 1 month later...

February 17, 2017

February Film Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Revealed

Source: Soompi by K. Do 

On February 18, the Korea Business Research Institute revealed their brand reputation rankings for film actors based on their findings from 72,745,586 pieces of data gathered from January 16 to February 17.

“Goblin” star Gong Yoo takes first place for the second month in a row with a score of 10,728,767. He enjoyed a 39.24 percent increase from his January score.

Second place goes to Jo In Sung who recently returned with the movie “The King.” As for third place, Yoo Hae Jin got the spot with a brand reputation score of 4,625,614.

The full rankings can be seen below:
1. Gong Yoo
2. Jo In Sung
3. Yoo Hae Jin
4. Kim Soo Hyun
5. Jun Ji Hyun
6. Jung Woo Sung
7. Ha Jung Woo
8. Kang Dong Won
9. Lee Byung Hun
10. Hwang Jung Min
11. Yoo Ah In
12. Han Hyo Joo
13. Sol Kyung Gu
14. Kim Hye Soo
15. Lee Jung Jae
16. Son Ye Jin
17. Song Kang Ho
18. Han Ji Min
19. Cha Seung Won
20. Lee Beom Soo
21. Jeon Do Yeon
22. Choi Min Sik
23. Ryu Seung Ryong
24. Kim Yoon Suk
25. Yoo Ji Tae

Source (1)

• 2 months later...

April 26, 2017

Actor Yoo Ji-tae to cameo in new Lars von Trier film

SEOUL, April 26 (Yonhap) -- South Korean actor Yoo Ji-tae will appear in Danish auteur Lars von Trier's upcoming film "The House That Jack Built" as a cameo, the film's Korean distributor said Wednesday.

At9 Film said that Yoo finished shooting in late March in Sweden, without specifying the actor's role.

He is best known to the international audience for his lead role in Park Chan-wook's "Old Boy." Yoo's directorial debut "Mai Ratima" clinched the Jury Prize, the second top honor, at the 2013 Deauville Asian Film Festival in France.

Von Trier's new movie, which comes out next year, follows a character named "Jack" becoming a serial killer over the course of 12 years. It stars Matt Dillon, Uma Thurman and Riley Keough.

"It is an honor to appear in a film by Lars von Trier, who is one of my favorite filmmakers. Despite it being a cameo role, it was a special and valuable experience," said Yoo, who became the first Asian actor ever to appear in a movie by Trier.

The prolific and visionary Danish filmmaker has directed a number of experimental and often controversial films in contemporary cinema history, including "Antichrist," "Melancholia" and the Nymphomaniac series.

This undated photo provided by At9 Film shows Danish filmmaker Lars von Trier, South Korean movie star Yoo Ji-tae and costume designer Manon Rasmussen (from L to R) posing for the camera at the Swedish set of Trier's upcoming movie "The House That Jack Built." (Yonhap)

This undated photo provided by At9 Film shows Danish filmmaker Lars von Trier, South Korean movie star Yoo Ji-tae and costume designer Manon Rasmussen (from L to R) posing for the camera at the Swedish set of Trier's upcoming movie "The House That Jack Built." (Yonhap)

odissy@yna.co.kr

• 2 weeks later...

May 8, 2017

YOO Ji-tae Films Role in Latest from Lars Von Trier
Danish Filmmaker Casts Korean Star in THE HOUSE JACK BUILT

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

nyzNJLSblkJyqSCRoXqG.png

Korean actor YOO Ji-tae, who shot to fame as the villain in PARK Chan-wook’s Old Boy (2003), has become the first Asian actor to take on a role in a film by Danish filmmaker Lars Von Trier.

The star filmed a short role in March in Sweden for the upcoming The House That Jack Built. The film takes place over a 12-year stretch encompassing most of the 1970s and follows a serial killer in the United States called Jack. Matt Dillon plays the lead role, while the rest of the cast features Uma Thurman, Bruno Gantz and Riley Keough. The film is expected to be released in 2018.

Korean film distributor Atnine Film, which released Von Trier’s Nymphomania in Korea, and Danish film distributor TrustNordisk suggested the actor to the people behind the film, as confirmed by production company Zentropa.

After getting his start as a model, YOO broke into acting in the late 1990s, appearing in such films as Attack The Gas Station! (1999), before starring in a slew of notable works such as Ditto (2000) and One Fine Spring Day (2001), before making himself known overseas in PARK’s classic film. He has ventured into directing, helming Mai Ratima in 2013. YOO most recently starred in the bowling drama SPLIT and will soon be seen opposite Hyun-bin in the conman drama Ggoon.

• 1 month later...

July 8, 2017

[Guest Film Review] "Split" - New York Asian Film Festival

Source: HanCinema.net

photo862790.jpg

I have to admit, sometimes I forget the appeal a good mainstream movie can have and the entertainment it can offer. "Split" does exactly that, through a Korean version of "Rain Man".

Cheol-jong used to be the best professional bowler in the country, but a tragic car accident destroyed his leg, his career, and even his family. Now, he plays in underground bowling matches that are organized by Hee-jin, an owner of a bowling alley who is in deep debt. The betting in this games is quite heavy, with some outsiders "patrons" participating, and Hee-jin hopes to repay her debt through the abilities of a limping Cheol-jong. However, his partner in the matches is not as good, and the two of them end up losing a lot of money, in a series of events that ends in violence. Their fate, though, changes when Cheol-jong meets Yeong-hoon, an autistic youngster with an incredible ability in bowling, but uncountable quirks. As the three of them start gaining money again, an old foe, Toad appears again threatening everything they have gained, while the tragic past of Yeong-hoon is revealed.

Choi Gook-hee, in his debut, pens and directs a film that moves in the widely known paths of mainstream cinema. In that fashion, the presence of a sport entails the competition that is always an attraction as a concept, and there is comedy, drama, some violence, revelations, and even a small dosage of romance. All of the above elements are expected, but Choi manages to retain a balance among them, particularly through the relationship of the two male protagonists, which carries the film for its whole duration.

The only fault I found in the story is the ending, which seems to go a bit overboard with a fight that does not fit the general aesthetics, and a happy, but rather melodramatic ending.

Furthermore, bowling is presented in quite impressive fashion, with the concept benefitting the most by Baek Yoon-seok's cinematography, which gives the bowling alleys a colorful and very pleasant feeling, and Kim Sun-min's editing. Particularly the latter manages to retain a sense of agony through the majority of the matches, with some fast but very accurate cuts.

Yoo Ji-tae plays the attractive bad boy with gusto, while the revealing of his true circumstances makes him even more likeable, despite the somewhat arrogant character he plays. Lee Jung-hyun as Hee-jin gives the necessary female element, while her character is the main representative of the comic element. Jeong Seong-hwa is a great villain as Toad, although his character is extreme in conception, as an ex-bowling player who turned loan shark/gangster. However, as in the case of "Rain Man", the one who steals the show is Lee David, who plays a great Yeong-hoon, managing to portray an autistic character with accuracy and sensitivity. Furthermore, the film benefits much by the chemistry of the three "good guys", with their collaboration being one of the highlights of the movie.

"Split" is a very easy film to watch, that will entertain its audience, and allow them to enjoy a story without having to overthink it. 

"Split" is screening at New York Asian Film Festival (Festival entry), that will be on June 30 to July 16

Review by Panos Kotzathanasis

"Split" is directed by Choi Gook-hee and features Yoo Ji-tae, Lee Jung-hyun, Lee David and Jeong Seong-hwa.

• 3 weeks later...

July 27, 2017

Actor Yoo Ji-tae

Actor Yoo Ji-tae

South Korean actor Yoo Ji-tae poses for a photo during a ceremony to mark the opening of a special screen for director Park Chan-wook's films at a multiplex in Seoul on July 27, 2017. (Yonhap) (END)

Archived