Yoo Ji Tae 유지태

Guest valley girl

Guest Elite

Glad to see more YJT supporters and this thread being a bit more active :)

photo24437.jpg

[DVD review]'Traces' humanizes a modern trauma

One of the poignant moments in "Trace of Love" is a splendid scene ablaze with autumn-tinted mountains in which Se-jin (played by Eom Ji-won) walks out of a tunnel after suffering a severe panic attack brought on by her memory of being trapped inside a collapsed building.

The scene vividly captures what director Kim Dae-seung may have been trying to achieve through his film ? the transcendent strength of nature to heal wounded souls.

His attempt might come across as passive or overly-cautious for people who still expect a critical diagnosis of history, but 13 years after the Sampoong Department Store collapse in Korea (the victims of which were never truly compensated), his option seems just, if not inevitable.

The film "Trace of Love" is based on this peacetime disaster, which took place in 1995, leaving 501 people dead. Woven into the story is a bribery scandal involving the building's owner.

The film takes the tone of a melodrama, recreating the incident from the point of view of one of the victims, Min-ju (Kim Ji-soo), who died while visiting the department store to buy furniture for her new home with Hyeon-woo (Yoo Ji-tae) before their wedding.

The film is gentle throughout, deliberately focusing on the painful aftermath for the survivors, the victims and their families, instead of the actual catastrophe itself.

Even when it comes to the computer generated details of the collapse, Kim stops at showing a few cracks in the ceiling and dropping concrete columns. The scene reminds viewers of the reality of the event, but it doesn't make a spectacle of it.

Instead the film quickly changes gears, focusing on Hyeon-woo's travelogue. He takes a long journey, visiting the country's rivers, temples and mountains in the fall, places his girlfriend marked in her notebook for them to visit on their honeymoon. Min-ju had visited them in the past in her work as a television producer.

The film draws out people's emotions by consistently overlapping alluring landscapes and the feelings of pain and loss seen on characters' faces.

The film succeeds in soothing our minds, yet it also poses a sense of guilt. Viewers find themselves remembering the pain, which hit us so hard at the time of the disaster, without critical reflection.

But that seems to be the path the film chooses to take.

Despite the fact that Hyeon-woo is a prosecutor in charge of bringing those responsible for the building's collapse to justice, the film blames no one for the incident, focusing more instead on the pain by featuring beautiful scenery and the music of Mozart and Handel.

Perhaps the film's Korean title "Gaeulo", which means "To Autumn", faithfully reflects Kim's sympathetic view toward the victims and the incident (the collapse took place in the summer).

It proposes the idea that in the end, the only remedy for any pain is to move on.

"Trace of Love"

Directed by Kim Dae-seung

Starring: Yoo Ji-tae, Kim Ji-soo

Running Time: 114 minutes

Subtitles: English

Genre: Drama

By Park Soo-mee Staff Writer

Source : joongangdaily.joins.c... ( English Korean )

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Shaister

This might be so old school, but dang, he was awesome on Oldboy. Wonder what he's doing these days? Any movies?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yoo Ji Tae's perfect as Nomi :blush:

i just saw a bunch of pics of him in SHK's thread (taken during HJN's premiere/interview) :)

he's soooo tall! especially next to petite SHK :rolleyes:

i miss Nomi's long locks but YJT pulls off the 'clean-look' just as well :)

i can't wait to see him in action :w00t:

Guest jicks

A couple more pics of Hwang Jin I the movie cast promoting the film at the Seoul CGV Theater

hji.jpg

hjit.jpg

(pic credit to newsen.com)

^He completely towers over Song Hye Kyo!! Really am desperate to see this movie btw =D

ALSO!!!!!! Just read in this thread >>>

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...137499&st=0

Ji Tae is going out w/ Kim Hyo Jin!!!

T___T My heart is so broken LOL However, I wish them happiness all the same ^____^

Guest Elite

Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures, utkim, jicks and janice chan :) I am looking forward to his new movie with SHK. YJT is one of the very tallest actor around and if anyone stand next to him, he just make them look like he's a cuddling giant ;)

jicks - ah...I am heartbroken but happy for YJT finding that someone to be Kim Hyo Jin. Although, my wish was for him is to be with Kim Haneul :sweatingbullets:

Guest jicks

Yoo Ji-tae to Judge at Japanese Short-film Festival

070604_ent_1.jpg

Actor Yoo Ji-tae has been named a juror of the 9th Short Shorts & Asia 2007 festival to be held in Japan June 25 through July 2.

Yoo presented his personally-directed movie, "How Does The Blind Dream," in the Special Program section of the festival last year.

Meanwhile, Lee Jung-kook's short film "Mandarin Ghost" has been invited to compete in the International section of the festival this year.

source: KBS Global

Guest greeny

oh,he dating KimHyoJin now? happy for him.. well he looks good with KimHaNeul too.. i always wonder, howcome he looks cute n younger then KHN in Ditto n match his role there:rolleyes:

in Oldboy,he did a great job potraying a nappeun namja..

in Yasoo, he looks great as a cool prosecuter B)

it's nice to see this thread become more active now.. thx to HJI i think :)

omo, tomorow is HJI premiere! fighting JiTae oppa :w00t:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Janie Simply

This has been posted at various soompi site so I added it for record keeping sake since the hero is none other than YJT himself -- Our hero, our knight, Mr. YJT!

from Chosun

http://chinese.chosun.com/big5/site/data/h...0622000038.html

It said that during Busan stage greeting, when the team was going to leave...suddenly a male fans jumped over the fence and wanted to hug/touch Hyekyo. It was so sudden that the bodyguards cannot do anything. It was YJT who fenced off the crazy fan and saved Hyekyo. YJT has hurt his hand.

YJT was seen guarding Hyekyo during all the stage meetings.

credit: wloi

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...137499&st=0

Ji Tae is going out w/ Kim Hyo Jin!!!

T___T My heart is so broken LOL However, I wish them happiness all the same ^____^

Jick, I'm heart broken too, lucky Kim!

Guest jicks

It said that during Busan stage greeting, when the team was going to leave...suddenly a male fans jumped over the fence and wanted to hug/touch Hyekyo. It was so sudden that the bodyguards cannot do anything. It was YJT who fenced off the crazy fan and saved Hyekyo. YJT has hurt his hand.

YJT was seen guarding Hyekyo during all the stage meetings.

credit: wloi

^Seriously that just makes me love him even more <333 A hero on & off the screen!!!

Goodness, if I was there I would've fought to give him first aid lol

Wonder what's up next for him...

Archived