[Drama 2019] Doctor Prisoner, 닥터 프리즈너

larus

Namgoong Min Has Nerves Of Steel As He Carries Out His Plan In “Doctor Prisoner”

by K. Lew
67f75c770bcc4d6dbe4f208a3cbddcdf.jpeg?s=

Namgoong Min executes his plan without even flinching in KBS2’s “Doctor Prisoner.”

“Doctor Prisoner” is about a highly skilled doctor who is forced to resign from his position at a top hospital and ends up working in the medical ward of a prison in order to make connections to the powerful and wealthy and exact his revenge.

Spoilers

In the new photos, Na Yi Je (played by Namgoong Min) glares at someone inside a cell. He wears a beige prison uniform, which indicates that he was a prisoner awaiting trial at the time. In other photos, he grabs Han Bit (played by Ryeo Woon), Han So Geum’s (played by Hello Venus’s Nara) little brother, by the collar and stabs something deep into his shoulder. Han Bit appears at first to be in pain, but then passes out, his body falling to the floor.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1314333wpp/namgoong-min-has-nerves-of-steel-as-he-carries-out-his-plan-in-doctor-prisoner

• Like 6

This show has completely captivated my interest. I was going through  a lull after The Last Empress. All the rom-coms were sadly extremely cliched, their execution too wasn't great enough to captivate my interest as an audience.

Doctor Prisoner has done a fabulous job of keeping the viewers hooked to the edge of their seats with all the twists and turns. It also helps that  Namgoong Min is such a superb actor.  I first saw him in Beautiful Gong Shim and it became one of my favourite shows. I could never imagine him in such an intense anti-hero role after I watched Beautiful Gong Shim.

I think that's a mark of a good actor who constantly re-invents himself , does challenging roles and never settles for stereotypical roles that would end up labeling him as an actor.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, zenya22 said:

This is really good drama. The outwitting contest between the doctors gets my attention as to who gets the better of whom. Love it and am putting all my bets on Dr Na Ije. 

I have the impression that Na Yi Je is not alone in his fight. To me, it looks like Lee Jae In could have been working with NYJ all this time, while on the surface she supports her mother. Notice that LJI has never been included in the will of her father and Mo Yi Ra is just determined that her son LJH inherits the hospital. LJI is totally overlooked by her parents. She is just treated like a tool for their own interest. Besides, LJI is different from her brothers LJH and LJJ. I can imagine that LJI must have felt remorse for NYJ's fate. Notice that she has become a real lawyer... therefore I suspect that she might play a bigger part in the future.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have the impression that Na Yi Je is not alone in his fight. To me, it looks like Lee Jae In could have been working with NYJ all this time, while on the surface she supports her mother. Notice that LJI has never been included in the will of her father and Mo Yi Ra is just determined that her son LJH inherits the hospital. LJI is totally overlooked by her parents. She is just treated like a tool for their own interest. Besides, LJI is different from her brothers LJH and LJJ. I can imagine that LJI must have felt remorse for NYJ's fate. Notice that she has become a real lawyer... therefore I suspect that she might play a bigger part in the future.

Yeah, I got that impression too and I am thinking that the psychiatrist may even become an ally to Na Yi Je. 

• Like 5

“Doctor Prisoner” Sets New Personal Record In Viewership Ratings Again

by C. Hong
db6804b2498644869b14736a5df816d5.jpeg?s=

KBS’s “Doctor Prisoner” has been rising steadily in the viewership ratings game!

The show premiered to solid ratings, saw a sharp rise in ratings the day after its premiere, and continued to see its ratings rise in the second week, reaching as high as 14.5 percent nationwide with its March 28 episode. It has also consistently held on to its position at the top of its Wednesday-Thursday time slot.

The April 4 episode of “Doctor Prisoner” continued this trend by recording ratings of 13.2 and 15.4 percent nationwide. This is an increase from last week’s 13.0 and 14.5 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1315069wpp/doctor-prisoner-sets-new-personal-record-in-viewership-ratings-again
  • Like 6

Namgoong Min Well-suited for Role on "Doctor Prisoner"

photo1049227.jpg

Many factors can be attributed to "Doctor Prisoner"'s impressive rise in the ratings. Fashion sense is one of them. In addition to hairstyles, Namgoong Min's choice of suits has also come under scrutiny and is a popular Internet search term.

The comparison is most obvious when Namgoong Min's character, the suave, ambitious Yi-je, is contrasted with that of his fellow doctor, Min-sik. Played by Kim Byung-chul, we can see how the older man's outfit also implies ambition - but unlike Yi-je's, not quite so neatly.

Observe how Min-sik's more complex suit is often loose fitting, and suffers from wrinkles. Such details are only obvious upon closer inspection, but then that's the idea. People who seem strong are never as powerful they want us to think. Yi-je excels at finding weaknesses like this. It's a large part of what makes him a good doctor.

Yi-je's suit is, by contrast, very basic. It's only a two piece suit. But it's always painstakingly neat and well-pressed. If at times Yi-je seems like he's getting in over his head, the suit is a reminder that even Yi-je knows he has limits, and prioritizes doing one simple task extremely well over doing multiple tasks haphazardly, even at the cost of glory.

Indeed, this same concept is at work for the entire drama. Yi-je's rather counterintuitive plan to prove himself involves working in a prison, after all, which is not exactly a high prestige position, even if it is a dangerous one.

source

• Like 6

So happy this show is doing well. I can’t say I’m surprised it’s NGM after all. 

I’m always looking for some romance- NYJ+LJI perhaps? Not really digging Nara’s character right now.

• Like 4

Just caught up with the latest episodes.

Can I say that I'm really disturbed at how Director Sun plays with human lives just to remain the "King" and his continuous effort to screw with our ever charming Dr NYJ?

Every scene of that director, I am seeing him as the annoying eunuch that he played in Goblin just that he has glasses on.

Aargh!!! 

Did I mention how creepy he looks like too?

It's like getting under my skin type of creepy and I wish Dr NYJ will just strangle him right there and then at the end of the episode and Kim Shin turn up and give him a double combo by slashing him and he combusted in the end?

Aargh... I think I need a shrink now. LOL

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

5 hours ago, joccu said:

Director Sun an NYJ are like cat and mouse. When the  other thinks they have upper hand the other pulls something other in his sleeves. It's going on circles. 

I have to disagree with this because although it looks on the surface that Seon and NYJ's fight is going in circle, in reality NYJ is getting closer to the inner circle. He has been able to create a riff between Seon and LJJ. Then he made sure that Seon wouldn't get the support of YMR too. Furthermore, little by little we are shown who is involved in that system. First, the prosecutor Jung appeared as an upright/righteous prosecutor, especially when he tried to stop KSW from getting a stay of execution. Later, we discovered that Jung wanted him to stay in jail because the psychopath is a son of JH Group chairman. The prosecutor Jung has been helping LJJ all along therefore he could send LJH for three years. The prosecutor Jung is no angel and NYJ is well aware of that. So NYJ is trying to break the system from the inside... he wants to reveal the involvement between Seon, Haeun Hospital and Taekang Hospital. NYJ is the one who saved Bat Ni in the end, as he let him escape. BN is important as he is a witness of that corruption (I guess). So many people are involved in that system. Now, NYJ is aware of the existence of that dirty doctor working for Seon. I am quite sure that although NYJ will be put under pressure next week, I am expecting NYJ to win. Seon will be hurt due to the drug scandal. We shouldn't forget that Seon was told about the rundown of the leftover drugs. His minion told him that the leftover drugs would be sent to the long-term care hospital. Then he added that there was a list of medicine they had to discard that month. Seon decided to send these medicine to the long-term care hospital as well. The doctor answered that they would buy new medicine. As this small scene is quite important because it points out that Seon has been embezzling drugs and money from the government. I suspect that the long-term care hospital is actually Haeun Hospital. So it looks like Seon sends drugs from the prison to his family's hospital so that the latter doesn't need to buy new medicine. Then on the other hand, Haeun Hospital can charge the patients who received the drugs. Seon can claim that they needed to discard medicine in order to follow the rules and ask for new medicine by using state's money. And this will be revealed as NYJ has a spy on the inside. 

The congressman was convicted and couldn't get stay of execution as the prosecutor, the hospital and the prison director Seon worked together. I also believe that the congressman tried to unveil this terrible system but failed as he was on his own. Yet, I also think that NYJ will gather more and more support in the end. Like I mentioned it earlier, I am more and more convinced that LJH's sister has been on his side all along and she is acting as a double agent. 

• Like 5

Looked ep. 7-10. Running a cat for a mouse continues and goes to the finish line. Dr. Seon is already losing NYJ, but he is still looking for a way to victory. Yes, that's just not work with him. Because NYJ makes alliances on mutually beneficial terms, and Seon makes fear and obey ...

And when the psychiatrist becomes an ally of NYJ, and she becomes one, because he helped her brother ... And then the former king will not have a chance!:rolleyes:

But the main question is where the psychiatrist's brother ... I am more inclined to think that NYJ saved him and hid him so that he would not be killed. Or Dr. Seon also locked him in a mental hospital or in a closed hospital.

And yet ... I can't help writing in which I am shocked by what the criminals are going to do to be released.

Bullied by themselves ... Horror! And our doctor is great, even in this way punishes them!:rage:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Friendly kitty said:

Looked ep. 7-10. Running a cat for a mouse continues and goes to the finish line. Dr. Seon is already losing NYJ, but he is still looking for a way to victory. Yes, that's just not work with him. Because NYJ makes alliances on mutually beneficial terms, and Seon makes fear and obey ...

And when the psychiatrist becomes an ally of NYJ, and she becomes one, because he helped her brother ... And then the former king will not have a chance!:rolleyes:

But the main question is where the psychiatrist's brother ... I am more inclined to think that NYJ saved him and hid him so that he would not be killed. Or Dr. Seon also locked him in a mental hospital or in a closed hospital.

And yet ... I can't help writing in which I am shocked by what the criminals are going to do to be released.

Bullied by themselves ... Horror! And our doctor is great, even in this way punishes them!:rage:

He is not locked up because LJJ with manager Choi saw him buying things at a store. So he is hiding and LJJ is looking for him. LJJ is using an illness in order to spy on the psychiatrist Han So Geum. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

He is not locked up because LJJ with manager Choi saw him buying things at a store. So he is hiding and LJJ is looking for him. LJJ is using an illness in order to spy on the psychiatrist Han So Geum. 

The question is why is he interested in Dr Han?

Is he interested as in he wish to woo her?

Or he wish to use her for one of his sinister plan.

I'm confused with the mixed signal he is giving out.

I'm pretty disturbed at how the prison is running actually.

That the warden are listening to the medical director and allowing prisoners to attack Dr Na.

Really really very disturbing..

• Like 3

I don't much care about the romance/ lack of romance. In fact, it's better without any. I am enjoying this battle of wits way too much to care about the romance or lack of it. NGM is acing it as an anti-hero. Such a fabulous actor. I love watching the play of different expressions on his face. Absolutely brilliant and mesmerizing. 

Every time I watch a K-drama, I seem heedlessly face in love with the male leads. The credit goes entirely to these fabulous actors for doing such a fantastic job that one just can't remain immune to their charm.

I would also like to admit that KBC is doing such a good job as a villain that as a viewer I detest him and he makes my blood boil with his cold hardheartedness. He is easily one of the best villains of 2019. It would be hard to beat this cold, calculative, manipulative doctor villain. Every new episodes he outdoes himself scaling new heights of being the most detestable guy on screen. But at the same time, I wait with bated breath to see what his next move will be. In this game of chess, let's see who gets 'check-mate'. My bets are on the cool, composed, not to mention suave NGM.

Both the actors are brilliant and they play a mjor role in making the show so brilliant. Looking forward to more excitement and new twists. Let's see how NGM maneuvers to get himself out of tricky situations again.  

• Like 4

@confusedheart7997 have to agree with you.

Romance is bad for this revenge drama.

Already cried when Dr Na had his heart broken due to the deceased couple and their unborn child. And then his mother.

Omg. My heart. :tears:

I just hope that Dr Na does not lose himself on the path to his revenge.

It's really very disturbing (I can't stop using this) how the rich and "powerful" are playing with lives and the system that is supposed to uphold justice.

• Like 6

Namgoong Min Gets A Gift On “Doctor Prisoner” Set From 2PM’s Junho

by J. K
da24644cfa524bc4b5ccd99027b0a81a.jpeg?s=

Chief Kim” co-stars Namgoong Min and 2PM’s Junho showed their friendship and support!

On April 8, Namgoong Min shared photos of himself on the set of his latest drama “Doctor Prisoner.” He smiles with a beverage in his hand as he poses in front of a coffee truck sent by Junho!

The banner on the truck includes photos of both Junho playing lawyer Choi Do Hyun in his current drama “Confession” and Namgoong Min playing doctor Na Yi Je in “Doctor Prisoner.”

It reads “Genius doctor Na Yi Je! If you need legal defense, call lawyer Choi Do Hyun! Best of luck to ‘Doctor Prisoner’!”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1316068wpp/namgoong-min-gets-a-gift-on-doctor-prisoner-set-from-2pms-junho
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1