[Drama 2019-2020] Chocolate, ♥ 초콜릿♥

icyphoenix

Sweet like Chocolate :D   

65 members have voted

1. 1. When will the OTP's first kiss be?

• episodes 13 -14
    • episodes 15 - 16
  2. 2. What will the ending be for the OTP?

• They will have a fairytale happy ending - reunited in Greece after a brief separation.
    • They will have a simple wedding at the hospice.
    • Both will have their illnesses resurface , and they end up in heaven together .
    • Lee Kang dies , and Lee Jun will take care of Cha Young.
    • Cha Young dies , and Lee Kang remains single thereafter.
    • Both remain single.
    • Others ( you can tell us what you think in the thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/2020 at 02:50 PM

3 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

It's like a trade off, with Kang's hand tremor and Cha Young's inability to taste, smell. What next? Kang will teach Cha Young to be a surgeon LoL, while she gets him to be her assistant chef?:P:lol:

sounds like a good idea!! CY will cook and LK will taste.. whoa!! thats like married couple during honeymoon period :love:

CY has already been eating Godiva chocolates for a long time.. its time for LK to ditch that ringpop sweet fetish!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Ep. 9 was so good. Such tearjerker. HJW is so great as CY. 

Slow burn romance may not be everyone's preference but the way the writer is handling the 'trope' in this drama has been pleasent because I'm not a fan of rushed romance but there's only 6 episodes left:crazy:. I don't want the romance/development to be anticlimatic. Both main charcters have alot of baggage to deal with which is understandable. CY has always been a very independent person who did things for herself & it's natural for her to not want to be a burden to anyone. She so strong. CY is such a awesome character who's so caring. I want happiness for her until the very end. I really hope CY is okay. There's seem to be something wrong w/her senses. I hope it's not permanent. Her speech with her brother, telling him how she had to be strong or else she'll break was so good. HJW's portrayal of CY is perfect. I want LK to be there for CY always. 

Michael's biological mother/brother are so shady. The brother is such an a$$. Also, I'm sure LJ admires CY for her kindness and perseverance & that he wont be the 3rd wheeler. He still needs to see HJ. 

The scene w/ LJ & CY were great. Also, does this drama make anyone feel uneasy. I'm so afraid for the outcome for the 2 leads. I'm not ready for heartbreaks & sad endings. I've already shed way to much tears almost every episodes. Judging Ep. 11 preview, seems like CY is ready to leave. :tears: I hope us viewers gets to see CY&LK love unfold into full bloom. I wonder when/if Kang will know that CY has always liked him & not MS(from the written letter) & that she was the little girl that he made chocolate for. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I’m litlle bit  confuse with the conversation between LK and the little boy, he said hospital staff, it means the nurse right, he thought LK like the nurse, and he told the nurse that he accidentally told LK that he knew LK like the nurse and LK thought the boy talking about CY

• Like 4

I'm of two minds regarding recent developments related to Cha-young. Poor girl... she seems to be copping it big time lately. The problem seems to be that she cares too much and gets entangled with her patients. The impulse is understandable. The girl is all heart but yeah... someone really needs to take care of her for a change. In a real enough way, the hospice isn't a healthy place for someone like her. However I don't deny that being there means that she's in close proximity to Kang... who was on track to bigger and better things but the accident put a kibosh into his stellar career as a hotshot surgeon. It's the slowdown he needed to see CY up close and personal... to fall in love with her... again, perhaps? They're both broken in some way but not irreparable I would imagine. It is possible for them to regain use of lost functions, so we're told, even if there's not immediate certainty.

I know it's something of a disaster for a chef to lose their olfactory capabilities. But considering that I was toying with the idea that she (or Kang) could be inflicted with some incurable condition, I think it's a small mercy. ;) (Ever the pessimist... :D ) I hold on to the hope that recovery is possible.

As for the romance, I'm fine with the decisions made about it so far. I like how it's progressing. As far as I'm concerned, the romance began a long time ago (probably when they were kids)... but rudely interrupted :P and I'm confident that they are both in love with each other now but for one reason or another, they can't be free with their feelings. They're both really considerate of each other... some may argue... too considerate to the point of suppressing their deepest desires. Of the two, the one I'm most concerned about is Kang. That guy is highly repressed. Except for these rare outbursts of frustration/anger/embarrassment, he keeps it all bottled up. He has clearly fallen for CY but well... he can't act on  those feelings either because apparently it's unrequited. (Nothing good comes from eavesdropping :P) I appreciate how YKS is playing him... morose and very uptight, occasionally petulant. Like a boy who has lost the ability to process his feelings, to understand himself. It's quite symbolic, his putting away the origami crane... a choice to bury his feelings.

Jun's not a bad kid really. Spoilt but not rotten. (The actor was pretty good in Money Flower) He inherited all his brains from his mother and innate decency from I-have-no-idea who. Maybe his uncle, Kang's dad. ;) I also think his parents genuinely care about him but their cultivated snobbery egged on by grandma has made their dynamic toxic.

Can I say again how much I love what this show does with food and patients of the week? Apart from the romance, it's almost the main highlight of every episode.

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

10 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Compared to the idiot who caused Cha Young to lose her sense of taste, smell... her brother Tae Hyun seem more of a saint LoL! :w00t: Oh by the way, he looked like a Bumblebee with his black & white sweater:lol:

Jun is overly curious on how she met Kang why LoL!? :P I knew that Ahjumma would unintentionally leave Ye Sol behind.. poor thing. Aish why's this drama so depressing!?:( And I don't know why it's takin' forever for Cha Young & Kang to get together..? :crazy: Or why she hasn't said anything, the whole I-still-think-of-you-as-my-dead-best-friend's-woman is plain..dumb. Does that mean you 2 should continue to be miserable?

Right! At least TH isn't completely a jerk by actually caring for his sister (finally!). Really powerful acting there with his emotions and eyes to really show that he cares. Even when CY was going to prepare food for the man and his Vietnamese wife, TH told him no because his sister wasn't feeling well. 

I think Jun is curious just for his own good. I think he feels that those two became too close in such a close time. And plus, Jun wants to be good at everything (better than Kang) so I feel like he'd want to know everything about him to get ahead.

It's a dumb thought (the you're-still-my-best-friend's-ex-girlfriend) but it's a thought of loyalty, I feel. Kang wants to stay loyal to what MS had said to him years before he passed away. I think there will always be a piece of MS in Kang but Kang doesn't know how to handle this extra pieces of fragments that he's starting to find of Cha-young now too. Sooner or later, Kang is going to have to discover those fragments and chase Cha-young back.

4 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

Ep. 9 was so good. Such tearjerker. HJW is so great as CY. 

Slow burn romance may not be everyone's preference but the way the writer is handling the 'trope' in this drama has been pleasent because I'm not a fan of rushed romance but there's only 6 episodes left:crazy:. I don't want the romance/development to be anticlimatic. Both main charcters have alot of baggage to deal with which is understandable. CY has always been a very independent person who did things for herself & it's natural for her to not want to be a burden to anyone. She so strong. CY is such a awesome character who's so caring. I want happiness for her until the very end. I really hope CY is okay. There's seem to be something wrong w/her senses. I hope it's not permanent. Her speech with her brother, telling him how she had to be strong or else she'll break was so good. HJW's portrayal of CY is perfect. I want LK to be there for CY always. 

Michael's biological mother/brother are so shady. The brother is such an a$$. Also, I'm sure LJ admires CY for her kindness and perseverance & that he wont be the 3rd wheeler. He still needs to see HJ. 

The scene w/ LJ & CY were great. Also, does this drama make anyone feel uneasy. I'm so afraid for the outcome for the 2 leads. I'm not ready for heartbreaks & sad endings. I've already shed way to much tears almost every episodes. Judging Ep. 11 preview, seems like CY is ready to leave. :tears: I hope us viewers gets to see CY&LK love unfold into full bloom. I wonder when/if Kang will know that CY has always liked him & not MS(from the written letter) & that she was the little girl that he made chocolate for. 

Ugh. I hope I never see Michael's biological mother and brother again. They caused SUCH troubles for CY and caused her to lose her sense of smell and taste. How could they get away with assault!? It's good that Kang was there the second time to watch out for CY. 

A part of me thinks that LJ has departed from the thought of HJ... If you remember that glass plate that was delivered to CY, I half don't know what that was for but also felt like LJ was gifting a part of him to the Hospice (or CY?). Or I could be totally wrong and it was just a thank you gift!

I'm very worried about the entire outcome as well. I mean, 6 episodes and no blossoming of their romance yet? CY literally blurted out "nope he's only a doctor who saved my life" and Kang quite harshly hit back with a "we're not gonna be together because you're my bff's ex-girlfriend and I'm not gonna betray my dead bff." (whaaaaat)

I like LJ now. He should never go back to the main hospital. I like him here and he looks human. If he stayed, he might not get corrupted by his evil mom/dad/grandma/aunt. He was SO adorable in this episode with little interactions: talking to the nurse, taking out Tae-hyun from the kitchen, and acknowledging CY's (hopefully temporary) illness, so I vote that he should stay here in the hospice!

A good part of me feels that LK never read the letter that MS left him. I know that CY read it on the bus, but I feel like LK wouldn't have read it because he would've been too heartbroken. I'm waiting until Kang finds out that he's actually Peter Pan from CY's childhood and that "person" that CY has loved all along. Maaan, I'm living for those emotional peaks! 6 more episodes so I need those... At least the apron scene that we're waiting for is coming next week...

3 hours ago, Dundee said:

I’m litlle bit  confuse with the conversation between LK and the little boy, he said hospital staff, it means the nurse right, he thought LK like the nurse, and he told the nurse that he accidentally told LK that he knew LK like the nurse and LK thought the boy talking about CY

Yes, I think you got it right. The little boy (Min-yong) thought that "person" that LK likes is the nurse so he texted the nurse that he accidentally told LK that she knew he had feelings for her. The little boy doesn't know that LK actually likes CY and vice versa. He thinks that LK likes the nurse and the nurse likes LK. But LK thinks that Min-yong was talking about CY. So- a complete misunderstanding!

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, xprosperity said:

Right! At least TH isn't completely a jerk by actually caring for his sister (finally!). Really powerful acting there with his emotions and eyes to really show that he cares. Even when CY was going to prepare food for the man and his Vietnamese wife, TH told him no because his sister wasn't feeling well. 

I think Jun is curious just for his own good. I think he feels that those two became too close in such a close time. And plus, Jun wants to be good at everything (better than Kang) so I feel like he'd want to know everything about him to get ahead.

It's a dumb thought (the you're-still-my-best-friend's-ex-girlfriend) but it's a thought of loyalty, I feel. Kang wants to stay loyal to what MS had said to him years before he passed away. I think there will always be a piece of MS in Kang but Kang doesn't know how to handle this extra pieces of fragments that he's starting to find of Cha-young now too. Sooner or later, Kang is going to have to discover those fragments and chase Cha-young back.

Ugh. I hope I never see Michael's biological mother and brother again. They caused SUCH troubles for CY and caused her to lose her sense of smell and taste. How could they get away with assault!? It's good that Kang was there the second time to watch out for CY. 

A part of me thinks that LJ has departed from the thought of HJ... If you remember that glass plate that was delivered to CY, I half don't know what that was for but also felt like LJ was gifting a part of him to the Hospice (or CY?). Or I could be totally wrong and it was just a thank you gift!

I'm very worried about the entire outcome as well. I mean, 6 episodes and no blossoming of their romance yet? CY literally blurted out "nope he's only a doctor who saved my life" and Kang quite harshly hit back with a "we're not gonna be together because you're my bff's ex-girlfriend and I'm not gonna betray my dead bff." (whaaaaat)

I like LJ now. He should never go back to the main hospital. I like him here and he looks human. If he stayed, he might not get corrupted by his evil mom/dad/grandma/aunt. He was SO adorable in this episode with little interactions: talking to the nurse, taking out Tae-hyun from the kitchen, and acknowledging CY's (hopefully temporary) illness, so I vote that he should stay here in the hospice!

A good part of me feels that LK never read the letter that MS left him. I know that CY read it on the bus, but I feel like LK wouldn't have read it because he would've been too heartbroken. I'm waiting until Kang finds out that he's actually Peter Pan from CY's childhood and that "person" that CY has loved all along. Maaan, I'm living for those emotional peaks! 6 more episodes so I need those... At least the apron scene that we're waiting for is coming next week...

Yes, I think you got it right. The little boy (Min-yong) thought that "person" that LK likes is the nurse so he texted the nurse that he accidentally told LK that she knew he had feelings for her. The little boy doesn't know that LK actually likes CY and vice versa. He thinks that LK likes the nurse and the nurse likes LK. But LK thinks that Min-yong was talking about CY. So- a complete misunderstanding!

Lol the nurse, how come she thinks LK likes her, i assumed LK did something that made the nurse misunderstood his action, he should apologize to the nurse instead of CY. I mean when he suddenly approached CY and delivered his apologize, it come out of nowhere. I don’t get how LK thinks CY misunderstood his action so he need to clarified that he only think CY as his best friend ex girlfriend.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, lclarakl said:

@40somethingahjumma

I did feel sorry for the brother for the first time at his guilt that he may have caused the death of the old man waiting for his children. However, when I think about how the writer has poured it on thick for these two leads (whom I love--my favorite actors), I'm wondering what is there motivation to keep going.

Even there weren't any kind of romance in this, I would watch this show just for the transformative impact that the leads have on the patients and vice versa. I think the show would work equally well. But this is a K drama and well... it's a given that romance would be woven in. ;) For me the most important part of the show is really how the hospice becomes a final earthly meeting place where people finding (for the most part) healing relationally. Death is inevitable but taking conflict to the grave isn't. It is a final chance for people to say goodbye to their loved ones properly with no regrets that they left it too late.

The big achievement for the leads is that they have overcome past misjudgments to come as far as they have. It's a shame that the spectre of MS continues to loom large. He's gone and had moved on so it's up to the leads to move on too. I have a feeling that Kang wants to but well... can't entirely blame him for not trying harder: he's been given the impression that it's all on his side.

1 hour ago, Dundee said:

I don’t get how LK thinks CY misunderstood his action so he need to clarified that he only think CY as his best friend ex girlfriend.

Well, people have noticed things. Jun and Min-yong in particular. ;) He doesn't know who else has made the same observations. MY has said out loud that he knows that he likes someone. 

Plus he's in love with her... and I don't think he's entirely convinced that he should give up on her. He's testing the waters to see if the fish bites (so to speak). Somewhere deep down he hopes to change her mind or at least give himself a bit of hope that she could change her mind.

;)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I have to say I finally figured out the "feel" of this drama. It has all the "drama" of a 100+  episodes drama, but not all the 'angst' that goes with it. I'm only on episode 8 and there have been enough accidents, deaths, and attempted murder to complete a 100 episode drama. I'm only wondering what the next 8 episode holds for the lead 'couple'. I'm ready to see some 'romancing'/fall in love scenes because that tone was set in the very beginning of this drama and the thread carried through with CY's crush.

In ep 8, I knew the husband to the blind patient was too good to be true and I guessed right. I couldn't help but wonder why a man who claims to love his wife and is extremely affectionate towards her, would put her in hospice and not pay for an in home nurse--especially when he could afford it. (I would have loved to see more into their payback)

Now learning in ep 10 that she hurt her head and lost her sense of taste...:huh: So he lost use of his hand due to an injury which is impacting his career and she's lost her smell and taste impacting her career. Okay, so ready for the rain to stop.  Also, don't understand her need to keep it a secret when she's surrounded by doctors who could help.

One thing that that I absolutely love about this drama is the attention they pay to food preparation. Makes me want to get in the kitchen and whip up some Korean food. However, it does make me wonder how someone seems to be on the mid to late stages of Alzheimer is still cooking in the kitchen. I'm fearful that she's going to burn down the kitchen before this drama is over. 

One thing that I absolutely hate, and I mean hate, about this drama is the fact that Lee Kang as a doctor smokes. I don't hate it in just this drama, I hate it in every drama where the lead smokes; bad for health, causes cancer, and breath smells horrible.

• Like 7

chingus, one thing we can be sure of for the time being.. both our OTP are not going to die or something! :kiss_closed: the preview to ep11 has that bench, and LK and CY talking.. the same scene setup so it’s gotta be something about him cheering her on, for her recovery or something! last week we were speculating that scene would be some kind of sad ending isn’t it? haha :kiss_wink:

we are left with 6 ep.. i wonder when are they going to burst out of that “shy like clams” shell.. :weary:

as for LJ, i’m quite sure he cares for CY as a friend.. she has been so kind to HJ.. and he witnessed how CY being all selfless and putting the patient’s anniversary request on priority despite herself being unwell. its definitely admiration for CY, not love interest or using her to spite LK.. :grin: i hope LJ will be a good friend to CY too.. she has too many things bottled up with no one to confide to.

oh, wicked granny is in the hospital woohoo! let’s hope we see her in the hospice she claimed to be lousy and not making money.. i may sound ruthless but, someone has to die and i hope its her.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Even there weren't any kind of romance in this, I would watch this show just for the transformative impact that the leads have on the patients and vice versa. I think the show would work equally well. But this is a K drama and well... it's a given that romance would be woven in. ;) For me the most important part of the show is really how the hospice becomes a final earthly meeting place where people finding (for the most part) healing relationally. Death is inevitable but taking conflict to the grave isn't. It is a final chance for people to say goodbye to their loved ones properly with no regrets that they left it too late.

The big achievement for the leads is that they have overcome past misjudgments to come as far as they have. It's a shame that the spectre of MS continues to loom large. He's gone and had moved on so it's up to the leads to move on too. I have a feeling that Kang wants to but well... can't entirely blame him for not trying harder: he's been given the impression that it's all on his side.

Well, people have noticed things. Jun and Min-yong in particular. ;) He doesn't know who else has made the same observations. MY has said out loud that he knows that he likes someone. 

Plus he's in love with her... and I don't think he's entirely convinced that he should give up on her. He's testing the waters to see if the fish bites (so to speak). Somewhere deep down he hopes to change her mind or at least give himself a bit of hope that she could change her mind.

;)

Absolutely agree! This show revolves around the concept of healing and I think it's made me cherish more of what I have and those around me. Those in the hospice are, of course, terminal patients and they're living their best life in the hospice- it's sort of posing a question of: "Well, shouldn't we do the same?" And it's quite interesting to see LK transform into a more positive and accepting person as well.

The leads need to move on from MS. I know it's harsh and it's hard to do, especially for LK since that's his best friend. Lingering on the past won't get anyone anywhere, as we can now see from their slow progress. I can't blame LK either- it's not like CY is actively pursuing LK either. I don't expect a one sided chase, but can't stand their two sided tension...

Jun and MY (despite noticing different "hospital staff") has definitely noticed things. Jun definitely knows that there's something going on between the two but he just can't figure out what their relationship truly is. Jun knows that CY gets to LK and vice versa. It really was funny watching LK get flustered and blushed as he thought MY was talking about CY.  

He's definitely not giving up on her, but I think CY has to open up (not fully but even just a little) to LK. LK seems like he's testing the waters to me as well, and something impactful needs to happen in the next couple of episodes for these two to reconcile and get together for real.

2 hours ago, lclarakl said:

Okay, I have to say I finally figured out the "feel" of this drama. It has all the "drama" of a 100+  episodes drama, but not all the 'angst' that goes with it. I'm only on episode 8 and there have been enough accidents, deaths, and attempted murder to complete a 100 episode drama. I'm only wondering what the next 8 episode holds for the lead 'couple'. I'm ready to see some 'romancing'/fall in love scenes because that ton was set in the very beginning of this drama and the thread carried through with CY's crush.

One thing that that I absolutely love about this drama is the attention they pay to food preparation. Makes me want to get in the kitchen and whip up some Korean food. However, it does make me wonder how someone seems to be on the mid to late stages of Alzheimer is still cooking in the kitchen. I'm fearful that she's going to burn down the kitchen before this drama is over. 

One thing that I absolutely hate, and I mean hate, about this drama is the fact that Lee Kang as a doctor smokes. I don't hate it in just this drama, I hate it in every drama where the lead smokes; bad for health, causes cancer, and breath smells horrible.

I'm very ready to be spoiled with all of these romance scenes between CY and LK. There has been so many heartbreaks in the last 10 episodes, I've been bawling my eyes out for 9 out of 10 episodes... I can definitely use some romance. I don't know how they're going to actually confess to each other, I think that's going to be a great scene.

I've said it so many times but I really hope that the ending isn't the beginning scenes... I need to see these two in the hospice showing off their little romance to lighten up the mood, jeez.

The drama makes me want to eat a lot of Korean food and then dessert. Everything looks so good, it's insane.

I don't think Kang actually smokes. He does it when he's stressed but I don't think there's an actual time when he successfully lit a cigarette.

1 hour ago, sadthe1st said:

chingus, one thing we can be sure of for the time being.. both our OTP are not going to die or something! :kiss_closed: the preview to ep11 has that bench, and LK and CY talking.. the same scene setup so it’s gotta be something about him cheering her on, for her recovery or something! last week we were speculating that scene would be some kind of sad ending isn’t it? haha :kiss_wink:

we are left with 6 ep.. i wonder when are they going to burst out of that “shy like clams” shell.. :weary:

as for LJ, i’m quite sure he cares for CY as a friend.. she has been so kind to HJ.. and he witnessed how CY being all selfless and putting the patient’s anniversary request on priority despite herself being unwell. its definitely admiration for CY, not love interest or using her to spite LK.. :grin: i hope LJ will be a good friend to CY too.. she has too many things bottled up with no one to confide to.

oh, wicked granny is in the hospital woohoo! let’s hope we see her in the hospice she claimed to be lousy and not making money.. i may sound ruthless but, someone has to die and i hope its her.

I have a good feeling that grandma might be the one to enter the hospice and then she'll change her mind about shutting it. I'm totally for her character dying.

LJ can serve as CY's good friend. His time at the hospice has really seen some positive change and CY can really use someone to rely on. She's been shutting out everyone and LJ would be a nice friend to have. You can actually tell that there's a bit of an admiration going on in LJ's eyes toward CY. Even though she lost her sense of smell and taste, CY was still trying to cook for the man and his Vietnamese wife despite it all affecting her deeply (and she did it with a smile). LJ might have been using CY to get at LK at first (because LJ knows how much impact CY has on LK) but LJ might actually turn into a pretty solid friend. Seeing how LJ took TH out of the kitchen so CY could be left alone, that was a solid move that I did not expect from LJ!

Good... I already cannot wait for Friday. Eeeeek! Please, no one die- no one die- I can't bear to see anyone die again. I've been crying so much. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3-4T46aSF5M4RDo6Qbrjimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF0DPzdq2tuRO_sNc-k93J6QqtLsL6fFRR2lh3j4WrBHOzK_KkrA&simages?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2a6nP9j1L6aub60cQtHS

She may not be able to see everything clearly, but no matter what she's asked to endure she continues to look up...

CY reminds me that although there is death & heartache in almost every episode there is so much about living and survival even more.  Reminds me of that saying it's not about how a person dies but rather how one lives...  How what's important quickly changes when the idea of death walks into your life or your loved ones life.  That your beginning isn't as important or revealing as your life's end...

It challenges each of us in so many ways and that's why this drama's title is so important Chocolate.  He chooses not to eat another piece and burns it along with his Mothers things.  She on the other hand eats a piece before she starts her baking or cooking a reminder. 

That one piece of chocolate that she was given beneath the death & destruction of a crumbled building by a woman whom not only gave a piece of candy to a frightened little girl.  That same woman gave something even greater to her in that darkness. 

The light of hope when CY needed it most.

LK  & CY have a bond that is even greater than a first love.  

They have endured so much and yet their hearts in wanting to care, love and sacrifice for others makes this drama about living instead of dying.  About never giving up or giving in about believing you can make a difference to someone else and even yourself no matter the end...

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

hi everyone! 

I've not been writing anywhere  for a long long time (I guess I'm getting old) but today couldn't stop myself because this drama is just my cup of tea. I really really love its melodramatic side and also not too dark. 

I've got one problem. almost every week, I literally cry. even today, I cried and my husband came and saw me. he said:

- again, you must be watching k-drama!!

when I saw him I cried more by hugging him. I really don't know what to do because I both love and also hate it :)

I hope they will give us a happy ending so I'll take a deep breath at last.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, xprosperity said:

The leads need to move on from MS. I know it's harsh and it's hard to do, especially for LK since that's his best friend. Lingering on the past won't get anyone anywhere, as we can now see from their slow progress. I can't blame LK either- it's not like CY is actively pursuing LK either. I don't expect a one sided chase, but can't stand their two sided tension...

[...]

He's definitely not giving up on her, but I think CY has to open up (not fully but even just a little) to LK. LK seems like he's testing the waters to me as well, and something impactful needs to happen in the next couple of episodes for these two to reconcile and get together for real.

If the great moral lesson of the drama is that life is too short to dwell on past wrongs, then it isn't all that harsh to say that the leads should move on from MS ;) ... especially when he himself had already been in another relationship for some time before his death. It's fascinating how that love triangle was framed in the big picture of the drama. From my perspective the leads don't owe MS anything. To Kang it might seem that he's stealing his deceased friend's ex, an act of "betrayal" especially when he had expressively hated what she did. Yet for a time MS knew full well that CY was crushing on Kang but chose to ignore what he saw because of his own selfish need to cling on to a good thing even if her heart was elsewhere. He couldn't even claim he "got there first" but he seemed to be content with being the consolation prize as long as the trophy was in his grasp. In the end CY was the one who did the right thing, ended the deception and walked away at great cost to herself because the man she really loved came to despise her for being unfaithful.

People are flawed. The truth is that MS acted selfishly and cowardly. (I will be harsh) MS wasn't the paragon of virtue that Kang thought. Certainly not that innocent. From the big picture view of that triangle he was not the one wronged because he had all the pieces of the puzzle. Sure he tried to make things right by sending Kang to Greece to find CY but he never had the chance to right that wrong completely.

The situation is much harder for Kang than it is for CY in some ways. It must be confusing for him that this woman whom he thought was selfish and horrible turns out to be almost angelic in nature. It's a huge paradigm shift for him to have to navigate. How does he cope with the contradiction? And yet there she is putting herself out for the patients and their families even to the point of getting herself hurt. On top of that she brings out the best in him as a man... as a doctor. To help him care again. Of course it's not entirely her but a lot of it is.

From my standpoint as a member of the audience, I think the leads should definitely move on from MS. He isn't an issue now. Occasionally though I suspect that MS is becoming more of an excuse than the real reason why they can't move forward. CY may think she's not worthy and Kang may be afraid of this level of vulnerability which is why he resorts to eavesdropping and sidestepping. ;) 

This is the main reason why I'm enjoying the romance and the UST because unbeknownst to them, these two are "healing each other".  I love the way Kang watches her and stands up for her as well because he now sees her vulnerability coming from a kind heart as something worthy to be protected and preserved.

This is also why I don't object to Jun falling for CY either... although he doesn't need to for his transformation to occur. Her determination to persevere and live despite what life throws at her is worthy of his admiration. I am glad that he is good-natured enough and sufficiently perceptive to see her goodness and inner strength.

The hospice is a magical place (in a manner of speaking) but even more so because of CY. What an incredible place it would be if Kang and CY were at the helm intentionally working their magic as a couple.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

@xprosperity

The Viet wife with Korean husband was very touching. She's lucky to be loved by such a sweet man. Too bad their time is short. Most times these foreign brides suffer from abuse & alienation.. 

I just don't get why he's so curious that's all LoL. Unless.. he's thinking of makin' the moves on her..? His How can a chef & doctor meet? Both are different professions. What does that have to do with love LoL?! Do all doctors only fall for nurses? 

@Dundee

Yea I agree the nurse must have misread Kang.. I mean he's a doctor at a hospice & it's a requirement to be compassionate. And well the fact that he's charming is a bonus too LoL. It looks like a one-sided crush though. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

If the great moral lesson of the drama is that life is too short to dwell on past wrongs, then it isn't all that harsh to say that the leads should move on from MS ;) ... especially when he himself had already been in another relationship for some time before his death. It's fascinating how that love triangle was framed in the big picture of the drama. From my perspective the leads don't owe MS anything. To Kang it might seem that he's stealing his deceased friend's ex, an act of "betrayal" especially when he had expressively hated what she did. Yet for a time MS knew full well that CY was crushing on Kang but chose to ignore what he saw because of his own selfish need to cling on to a good thing even if her heart was elsewhere. He couldn't even claim he "got there first" but he seemed to be content with being the consolation prize as long as the trophy was in his grasp. In the end CY was the one who did the right thing, ended the deception and walked away at great cost to herself because the man she really loved came to despise her for being unfaithful.

People are flawed. The truth is that MS acted selfishly and cowardly. (I will be harsh) MS wasn't the paragon of virtue that Kang thought. Certainly not that innocent. From the big picture view of that triangle he was not the one wronged because he had all the pieces of the puzzle. Sure he tried to make things right by sending Kang to Greece to find CY but he never had the chance to right that wrong completely.

The situation is much harder for Kang than it is for CY in some ways. It must be confusing for him that this woman whom he thought was selfish and horrible turns out to be almost angelic in nature. It's a huge paradigm shift for him to have to navigate. How does he cope with the contradiction? And yet there she is putting herself out for the patients and their families even to the point of getting herself hurt. On top of that she brings out the best in him as a man... as a doctor. To help him care again. Of course it's not entirely her but a lot of it is.

From my standpoint as a member of the audience, I think the leads should definitely move on from MS. He isn't an issue now. Occasionally though I suspect that MS is becoming more of an excuse than the real reason why they can't move forward. CY may think she's not worthy and Kang may be afraid of this level of vulnerability which is why he resorts to eavesdropping and sidestepping. ;) 

This is the main reason why I'm enjoying the romance and the UST because unbeknownst to them, these two are "healing each other".  I love the way Kang watches her and stands up for her as well because he now sees her vulnerability coming from a kind heart as something worthy to be protected and preserved.

This is also why I don't object to Jun falling for CY either... although he doesn't need to for his transformation to occur. Her determination to persevere and live despite what life throws at her is worthy of his admiration. I am glad that he is good-natured enough and sufficiently perceptive to see her goodness and inner strength.

The hospice is a magical place (in a manner of speaking) but even more so because of CY. What an incredible place it would be if Kang and CY were at the helm intentionally working their magic as a couple.

I'm quoting your entire thread because you've rose several good points. 

I completely agree that MS isn't as high and mighty as we may think he is. From the first time that he knew that CY's "Peter Pan" was Kang from the Polaroid that they were out-focused- MS hung onto CY because he was selfish. If you think about it in some ways, these misunderstandings that they have now are also partially due to MS's unwillingness to let go earlier. CY stayed alone in Greece and wanted to forget LK but as you mentioned, MS had already gotten engaged by the time that he had a brain tumor. Although he was a great friend to LK to a certain extent, I thought that his greatest flaw was the need and desire to hold onto CY. I was personally extremely glad that CY walked away; she's not meant to be there to suffer and "heal" MS. Even when LK went to find CY to have her make the dumpling stew, I remember her line was: "Why do I have to still care for someone who I broke up with four years ago? He should be living a better life without me."

It's an entire thought switch for LK for sure. For a woman who LK thought was "evil for dumping his best friend" to this person who makes food in a convenient store for Ji-yong, picks raspberries for the grandma, and finds Ji-yong/Min-yong's mom. Deep inside, LK is processing all of these thoughts and a good part of him doesn't know how to do stir all of that together to give himself an answer. He's never had anyone in his life (really) to raise these questions of romance/relationships, and especially so after MS left, he's even gotten more lonely without anyone to turn to.

I agree with the sentiment of CY and LK healing each other. It's definitely a large factor. But a good chunk of it is also the patients and families of those patients healing LK. As he barely gotten any love as a kid (after his mom passed), the families and patients embracing him is a kind of warmth that he's never felt before. Even his interactions, especially with calling Min-yong (and he's calling MY first! AND confiding in a child!) to explain his "Zika virus" and becoming more open to accepting Ye-sol's ring pop, these little things would have been things that Kang would NEVER do if he hadn't come to the hospice.

From the get-go, I've been quite aware that Jun isn't entirety terrible. Even when his family sent Kang to Libya, Jun was the first one to get upset that his family pulled a stunt like that to make him come out on top over Kang. His humanity is there, but it's just been hidden underneath how his family WANTS him to be. I hope that the community hours that he's doing at the hospice is going to change him even more; and I think we're slowly seeing that as well. I wouldn't like it if LJ liked CY also though, I'm okay with him admiring and learning from CY- to be a little "vulnerable" and caring but not in a sense of romance. Although I'd be totally okay in the idea of LJ and CY being good friends and also healing each other in some ways. I think it'd be really heartwarming- just like their little chat over CY's symptoms and illness. I think it's the first time that CY really is "leaning" into someone for help when she's usually quite quiet and reserved. Really excited!

• Like 5
  • Love 2

@40somethingahjumma

Awesome post as per usual.;) Are you a writer by any chance?:D

I do agree that Min Seong is this invisible hurdle for our otp which infuriates me but hey that's K-Dramas for ya LoL!:P I think I've seen somethin' similar in another K-Drama (can't remember title) anyways, this widower had lost his spouse for like, 5 years or somethin' like that & when it was revealed he had a relationship with someone, he got so much flak for it LoL. Even the MIL added fuel to fire by sayin' the SIL was insulting the memory of her deceased daughter & I was like - :rolleyes:

It's part of the plot narrative I guess to further emphasize the struggles our otp has to endure & in journey of healing etc they will find their way into each other kind of thing.:P It's just driving me crazy ha-ha, but then 'gain I worry also if our otp get together quickly will their loveline burn out too..? Sighs..oh well~

I was also bothered by how Min Seong sort of coerced Cha Young into gettin' to be his gf when she hasn't agreed to his proposal yet. But 'cause he was sweet & nice looking, I gave him a free pass ha-ha. Good thing I knew what UST stood for.:lol: I don't object to Joon bein' with Cha Young either, 'cause there's already hints of slight jealousy in Kang when he sees them both together. At the same time I'm not exactly expectant 'cause drama is heavy enough without a love triangle added onto it LoL. However if Joon is a catalyst for Kang to be more proactive in pursuing Cha Young, I'm all for it.       

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The drama storyline is interesting and there is o much to analyse and comment about. I agree to everything that has been mentioned in this thread.

A few short observations / my take on how the plots will be:

1. It is ok if Joon likes CY, but that's about it. The story line should not show CY to be interested in Joon, instead she should continue to only have feelings for LK as this shows her simple nature and loyalty.

2. I imagine that it will only be when CY and LK are together that they will eventually find out that LK's mom was the lady with young CY at the earthquake. Probably this is revealed when LK brought CY to 'introduce' her to his mom and she remembered his mom's name...

Can't wait for to watch till the end.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xprosperity said:

I was personally extremely glad that CY walked away; she's not meant to be there to suffer and "heal" MS. Even when LK went to find CY to have her make the dumpling stew, I remember her line was: "Why do I have to still care for someone who I broke up with four years ago? He should be living a better life without me."

Yeah i love how CY leaving to greece when she knew LK is MS’s boyfriend. Her character is very firm. When CY left, she should realize she may never meet LK again in the future hence she sacrifice her chance to get closed to LK. If there was no MS, CY may take a chance to become friend to LK (when he wasn’t too self absorbed) and told him about their little encounter when they were small. I mean there were dramas that made the female lead stayed and embroiled in love triangle eventually cheat with the boyfriend’s bestfriend.

• Like 3