[Drama 2019-2020] Chocolate, ♥ 초콜릿♥

icyphoenix

Sweet like Chocolate :D   

65 members have voted

1. 1. When will the OTP's first kiss be?

• episodes 13 -14
    • episodes 15 - 16
  2. 2. What will the ending be for the OTP?

• They will have a fairytale happy ending - reunited in Greece after a brief separation.
    • They will have a simple wedding at the hospice.
    • Both will have their illnesses resurface , and they end up in heaven together .
    • Lee Kang dies , and Lee Jun will take care of Cha Young.
    • Cha Young dies , and Lee Kang remains single thereafter.
    • Both remain single.
    • Others ( you can tell us what you think in the thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/2020 at 02:50 PM

6 hours ago, nrllee said:

Yes I noticed that.  I don’t believe Jun actually hates Kang.  He just always feels like he needs to measure up to his grandmother...no thanks to his Super pushy parents. <_< and a grandmother who thinks that pitting the boys against each other gives them a “competitive edge” <_<.  Jun can’t get angry with his parents or his grandmother so all that pent up frustration from being constantly pressured to excel has to be directed somewhere...and he directs it at Kang.  Same with the dog.  He was an angry little boy with nowhere to direct that anger.  When a child is constantly seeking approval from his parents who only dishes out “love” when that child performs to a certain level, it makes them very insecure and angry.  Kang is a “threat” to Jun.  So I don’t think he actually wants to dislike Kang.  It’s just that every time Kang surfaces, Jun feels horribly insecure and lashes out to prove his worth.  So I am waiting for him to have an awakening.  :)

SO TRUE! I really hope they will reconcile as brothers in the end - LJ needs some love as well :tears:

• Like 3

“Chocolate” Hints At A Romantic Turn In Yoon Kye Sang And Ha Ji Won’s Relationship

“Chocolate” Hints At A Romantic Turn In Yoon Kye Sang And Ha Ji Won’s Relationship

Dec 5, 2019
by L. Kim

Can Yoon Kye Sang and Ha Ji Won’s characters continue their relationship by overcoming misunderstandings and conflicts in the new drama “Chocolate”?

“Chocolate” is about the love story that unfolds between Lee Kang, a cold and emotionally closed-off neurosurgeon (played by Yoon Kye Sang), and Moon Cha Young, a warm and compassionate chef (played by Ha Ji Won). After reuniting at a hospice, the two slowly begin to heal each other’s wounds through cooking.

On December 5, the drama released stills of the two lead characters after their complicated reunion.

First off, Lee Kang and Moon Cha Young are having a date at the movie theater. Lee Kang fell asleep with his head on Moon Cha Young’s shoulder. However, in the next photo, the two of them face each other in a very different atmosphere. Moon Cha Young seems determined to leave, and Lee Kang gazes at her with cold eyes as he blocks her. Moon Cha Young, who has no intention of changing her mind, also looks at Lee Kang with a firm expression.

yoon-kye-sang-ha-ji-won-1.jpgyoon-kye-sang-ha-ji-won-2.jpg

Spoiler

Lee Kang and Moon Cha Young met when they were children. Moon Cha Young recognized her first love Lee Kang, “Peter Pan,” right away, but Lee Kang didn’t remember her. She assumed he had died in the explosion in Libya, so she became lovers with Lee Kang’s best friend Kwon Min Sung (Yoo Teo). However, she became confused about her feelings after Lee Kang returned and she left for Greece. Later on, Lee Kang also headed to Greece to fulfill Kwon Min Sung’s last wish. Viewers are already curious about the development of Lee Kang and Moon Cha Young’s relationship.

The production crew said, “There are still unveiled stories in the long-established connection between Lee Kang and Moon Cha Young. The third episode will contain the deepening emotions of the pair as well as their individual hidden stories. Please watch to see the changes in their relationship who were reunited amid the misunderstanding.”

“Chocolate” airs every Friday and Saturday at 10:50 p.m. KST.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chocolate: Episode 1

by SailorJumun

chocolate01-00349.jpg

What a promising start to what could be a beautiful drama. JTBC’s newest romantic melo Chocolate comes from the mind of a hit writer with acting talent that’s been missing from our screens for far too long. Top that with rich characters, poignant storytelling, and evocative music, and we’ve got ourselves a sweet dish.

EPISODE 1 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/12/chocolate-episode-1/

Chocolate: Episode 2

by TeriYaki

Chocolate-E0200003-copy.jpg

Our plucky chef unwittingly finds herself in a romantic triangle with a twist, the first love that she thought was dead and his best friend. Desperate to escape her impossible situation, she makes a drastic move expecting that she’ll never see her first love again. Over time, circumstances take a tragic turn and our dashing neurosurgeon is asked by his friend to find the chef for a special favor.

EPISODE 2 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/12/chocolate-episode-2/

• Like 2

First Impressions: All The Different Flavors That Made “Chocolate” A Solid Premiere

First Impressions: All The Different Flavors That Made “Chocolate” A Solid Premiere

Dec 5, 2019

“Chocolate” is a character-driven drama that revolves around the ideas of healing and comfort. Our two main leads, Lee Kang (Yoon Kye Sang) and Moon Cha Young (Ha Ji Won), meet when they are children. And though it’s only for a short while, his kindness and her love for food leave a strong impression on each other. Fast forward many years, and after various personal tragedies, the two meet again in adulthood. She’s now a chef who uses food to comfort lost souls, and he’s a doctor who heals physical pain. And from there, their story starts.

Chocolate-Kang-gif.gif

Because this a story that involves food, I thought it’d be appropriate to structure this recap-review around the flavors we experienced throughout the two episodes. So… dig in!

Warning: Spoilers for the premiere episodes ahead! 

Sweetness

Little Kang and little Cha Young are seriously so adorable! Little Kang has the biggest and most innocent smile, looking like he’s completely loving life. And any girl who cries because she’s enjoying food so much gets a win in my book!

Chocolate-Cha-Young-gif.gif

The two first meet when Kang catches Cha Young sneaking food left out in the yard. Except, that food is meant for cows.

Spoiler

Chocolate-young-Cha-Young-540x304.jpg

Kang asks Cha Young to stay and he’ll get her some proper food, telling her that she doesn’t need to pay for it and that she is always welcome to go back to the restaurant for a free meal. Unfortunately, she doesn’t make it back again as soon after, Cha Young’s mother decides to move the family back up to Seoul.

Many years later, the now-adults cross paths again when Cha Young sees food left out in the open and sneaks a few bites. Looks like that’s one habit she hasn’t kicked, but at least this time the food is actually for human consumption. In fact, the food is left out by Lee Kang himself when he had to step away for a bit.

Spoiler

Chocolate-Cha-Young-gif-2.gif

Cha Young recognizes Lee Kang’s name and recalls their childhood memory, and so she wanders around the hospital semi-stalking Kang to see if she’s got the right person. But before she can make a move, she hears that Kang has been dispatched to Libya.

Spoiler

Chocolate-Jun-and-Cha-Young-gif.gif

It’s hard to run away when you’re attached to an IV drip.

And that’s when Kang’s best friend, Min Seong, comes in. After meeting each other by chance, Min Seong becomes interested in Cha Young and decides to woo her.

Spoiler

Chocolate-Min-Seong.jpg

LOL!

Though she initially rejects him, he eventually wins her over, right when Kang returns to Korea, alive and well. (She thought he had died in an explosion while in Libya.) And because of Min Seong and Kang’s friendship, she can’t manage to avoid Kang, and that’s when she decides to go to somewhere where he isn’t — Greece.

Spoiler

Chocolate-Cha-Young-gif-3.gif

To be honest, the Min Seong-Cha Young couple lasted all of five minutes (on screen), but even so, they were already so sweet together during that short amount of time. His self-deprecating manner when he asks her out and the way she just blurts out all her faults in hopes to manage his expectations are all adorable. And can we talk about how trusting a friend/boyfriend Min Seong is that he would suggest his girlfriend and his best friend watch a movie alone together? It seems like a trusting, healthy relationship in the making, but alas, they were not meant to be even from the start.

Spoiler

Chocolate-Cha-Young-Kang-Min-Seong-540x3

As for our OTP, I’m already so excited to see adult Kang and adult Cha Young getting to know each other. Cha Young is now living Kang’s childhood dream, and I’m sure she’s his way back to happiness and he’s her salvation in terms of dealing with her traumas. It’s especially sad to see the young boy who was once brimming with life to be so burdened, and I just want him to be happy again.

Sourness

We first get a glimpse of another central character, young Jun, during the yester-years portion. Here’s what you should know about Jun: He’s Kang’s older cousin; he dresses really smartly, bowtie and all; he has perfectly coiffed hair; AND he’s a complete nightmare. Feeling jealous and threatened about the sudden appearance of Kang — a male relative who also has stake on his inheritance — he takes his insecurities out on Kang’s dog. And when Kang comes to stop him, politely I might add, he throws a rock at Kang’s head, and the two start an all-out brawl which leads to them falling off the pier, into the sea, and to the hospital.

Spoiler

Chocolate-fighting-gif.gif

The first time we meet adult Jun (Jang Seung Jo; whom I loved in “Familiar Wife“) is no better. He’s one of the doctors working at their hospital, and he’s impatient and annoyed with his patient who’s quivering under a bed, clearly traumatized. We later learn that he’s gone through a traumatic event himself, but that happened after we met his horrendous childhood self, so PTSD isn’t to blame. It’s not hard to imagine where he gets his terrible bedside manner from — *cough horrible family cough* — but for it to manifest so early in his childhood, I’m not sure whether I should be more horrified or have pity.  His jealousy towards Kang continues to drive their relationship even in adulthood, and it’s not looking like it’ll change anytime soon.

Spoiler

Chocolate-Jun-gif.gif

(In case you’re wondering what sourness has to do with jealousy: In Chinese, being jealous is translated into “eating vinegar,” thus the sourness.)

Saltiness

The saltiness here isn’t in a resentful sense, but rather the saltiness that comes from tears. And there were a few moments in the premiere episodes that had my tear ducts working, especially when Kang, while on the brink of death, imagines having a conversation with his deceased mother. It’s a testament to how well these characters have been set up that you immediately feel the weight and pain of that scene even though we’ve only spent so little time with them. The whole scene unfolds beautifully (though Kang suddenly calling his mom by her name felt a little jarring), and you can’t help but feel sorry that his loving mother died so early, leaving him with a pack of wolves instead.

Spoiler

Chocolate-Kang-and-mom-gif.gif

Another scene that is just as heartwrenching to watch is the one where Kang cries outside the operation room after realizing he’s unable to save his friend, Min Seong. When Kang finds out that Min Seong is in the hospital, he forgoes a very important surgery on a celebrity and chooses to operate on his friend instead. (Which, from my years of watching medical dramas, seems like a bad idea). We know how important this friendship is to Kang, and the thought of losing his friend is too much for him to handle, causing him to break down in tears after the failed surgery. And with Min Seong’s dad at his side comforting him just again shows how strong the bond between the two men are and that the affection transcends to other family members.

Spoiler

Chocolate-Kang-gif-2.gif

We later find out that Min Seong didn’t actually die on the operating table (I’m assuming Kang couldn’t remove the brain tumor?) and has instead been admitted to a hospice. But this doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s painful to watch a grown man break down in tears while grappling with defeat and loss.

Bitterness

The pack of wolves mentioned above refers to Jun’s family — his parents and paternal grandmother to be specific. This family of people is so terrible that watching their scenes will leave a bitter taste in your mouth.

We’re introduced to the Lee family matriarch when she brings her son, daughter-in-law, and grandson to Wando to find her long-lost grandson Kang. And right in front of her son and daughter-in-law, she not only belittles them, but also makes her intentions clear — she wants to raise Kang as another potential heir to her dynasty. But if you think she’s just a straight-shooting old lady who wisely wants to prevent her greedy son from swallowing all her inheritance, then you’re in for a rude awakening. She really is just a cold-hearted person who wants to use Kang as a pawn.

Spoiler

Chocolate-mom-gif.gif

Kang’s uncle (Jun’s father) is no better. He dispatches Kang to Libya, a warring nation, because “no one else wants to go.” And when Kang gets critically injured during his time there, he gives the order for the medical team to pull Kang off the ventilator. With the way this family behaves and with how they treat Kang, I am already looking forward to the day when they get their comeuppance. Then, it’ll be sweet, sweet revenge.

Spoiler

Chocolate-Kang-gif-3.gif

Spoiler

Chocolate-Kang-gif-4.gif

Seriously, what kind of monsters continue eating when a child is begging for his mom’s life? 

Final thoughts:

I really enjoyed the way the drama weaved through these first two episodes. So much story is told, but it never feels like groundwork for groundwork’s sake, and that’s largely due to the fact that the story is centered around the characters. Even with the concept of time, the drama just keeps moving along, skipping months or decades at a time without explicitly pointing it out. By taking away the bells and whistles, we’re left with something much more concentrated and intimate. Just like its theme, these types of stories are like good comfort food — nourishing both your body and mind. And with the two talented and charismatic leads of Yoon Kye Sang and Ha Ji Won at the helm, there’s no doubt we’ll be in for a yummy, flavorful treat!

Edited by triplem
4th image onwards to go into spoiler . Thanks
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

episode 4 preview

6 hours ago, blademan said:

Anybody know if there’s gonna be an OST release this week??

That is what I am waiting too, I am loving all the ost from this drama :) 

The first OST that been released

SWEETEST THING by Seventeen

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Did she seriously hide with a basin over her head LMFAo?!:joy:

So so so so sad over Min Seong's death:bawling: well, at least he got to taste Cha Young's dumplings. Jun is foolish to let pride get the best of him, lucky for him Kang was there. Ugh I seriously can't stand Cha Young's bro!!:triumph: He was so loud & disrespectful during the entire cooking contest tsk.:unamused: Why can't the authorities just deport him or something?! 

That poor ahjumma seem to be suffering from dementia sighs..:sleepy: Jun's family should rot in hell basically. I don't know why Kang continues to put up with their crap. He deserves better. With his skill & expertise he can land a position at any hospital plus he can go back to bein' a chef if he wants to. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I don't know why Kang continues to put up with their crap.

yeah I am trying to figure that out too?  Is it revenge (he wants to take them down before he leaves)?  Or is it because he needs to earn enough capital so he can walk away and start a restaurant of his own?  Did I miss something?  :blink:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

yeah I am trying to figure that out too?  Is it revenge (he wants to take them down before he leaves)?  Or is it because he needs to earn enough capital so he can walk away and start a restaurant of his own?  Did I miss something?  :blink:

It seems like he wants to prove he’s the better surgeon, the future of the hospital, because of how they treated his mom. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Maybe because of his mother. Remember that his mother said she wants to die as the daughter in law of the family? At the moment Kang is in the family registry but his mother is still nameless ( that’s why she has no funeral). Only after becoming successful at the hospital will he gain the acknowledgment from his grandmother. (This reminds me of Prince Yeoning of Joseon whose mother was a concubine and only get the acknowledgement as his birth mother after he becomes king).

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

4 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I don't know why Kang continues to put up with their crap. He deserves better. With his skill & expertise he can land a position at any hospital plus he can go back to bein' a chef if he wants to. 

This. So much this. I wish he would just walk away from the terrible family. If he want revenge, the best kind he can get is to become a renown doctor with top notch skills and never work at that hospital that his lousy family owns. 

@mathildafc, maybe because I’m from a different culture that I don’t understand the weight of importance of that registry, but to me if that’s Kang’s goal, I think it’s not worth the trouble. When I see him with that family and his efforts to whatever end he has planned, I’m reminded of that saying, “casting pearls before swines”. Also, his mother initially objected to him going to Seoul to live with that family and it’s only when he needed surgery after getting injured in the fight with the spoilt cousin that she used the family name to get the doctors to treat Kang first since he was unconscious. Regardless of what happened afterwards, I doubt she would want Kang to endure the emotional and physical abuse he currently faces when dealing with that family. I mean they even sent him to a battle torn country to die. 

• Like 1

Instead of Chocolate i think i would call this drama Choices ...out of so many options and choices which lead to the choice we make today and yet feel like you had no choice, so many people to save or   ...CY's  choices allowed her a freedom to take that time, that flight and go cook the cherished meal ...  Ep 3  got me good in couple spots.  

• Like 6

My goodness, this is such a good drama. One hour-long episode is not enough. I want to watch some more, alas the episode has ended. It's a beautiful story and the leads are doing a good job.

Can't we just off CY's twin brother? He's such a leecher at his age. And he doesn't even have an ounce of guilt living off his sister.

I was asking the same question many of you asked as well. Why doesn't Dr. Kang leave the hospital and go elsewhere? I think it's because of his promise to his mother. Moreover, if he's in Korea, his family is likely to make his suffer more and ensure that he cannot practice medicine anywhere else if he decides to leave the hospital. He can leave the hospital if he hangs up his coat and do something else, like pursue his first career choice - becoming a chef.

Right now, the leads are not in good terms. CY is running away from Kang because she does not want to tell him that he was the reason why she decided to break off her relationship with Min Seong. She also does not want him to know that she recognized him and that he's her first love.

Kang doesn't like CY because he thought she caused Min Seong's heartbreak because she loved someone else. He also thought she's heartless for not cooking the dumpling stew he requested to fulfill his best friend's last wish.

CY and Kang has gone through traumas and upheavals in their lives. Both lost their mothers in the same accident. She has to pay off debts, including those incurred by her brother (he's just an irritant), and she still suffers emotionally at times, when she thinks about how her mom died. Kang has to live with family members who are more like thugs and loan sharks.

Eagerly waiting for episode 4...

• Like 2
  • Love 2

29 minutes ago, reddragon said:

I think it's because of his promise to his mother.

That’s the only thing that would make sense.  Kang doesn’t strike me as someone hell bent on revenge.  Nor does he have some chip on his shoulder and feels the need to prove himself (unlike his step brother Jun).  Jun’s parents are doing him (Jun) no favours by trying to “protect” him and swinging the odds to benefit him.  He doesn’t look like he wants it either.  In fact it frustrates him more because it makes him feel even more incompetent.  To his credit he wants to “beat Kang” on a level playing field.  So no one can argue that he did it because he had “luck” on his side.

So Kang hanging in there may have to do with what @mathildafc has suggested.  Dignifying his mother’s life by giving her some status posthumously.

• Like 1

now say that i'm heartless but i still can't reach the point where i'm badly sobbing while watching. i just feel sad, not to the point of sobbing like everyone (does) say. now MS is dead, i get it and i'll get over it. next, i'm curious of how MS told him to not date CY gonna build up a conflict. Kang's life around the Lee's family is miserable as heck, but i don't see him as someone who'll do revenge. he is lonely too, but i don't see him as someone who'll "betray" his best friend by dating his most beloved ex.

anyway, who's the woman getting the surgery on the next episode's preview? CY is it? why and how? i thought (at first) that'll gonna be the dementia lady. but also my question is why and how?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

8 minutes ago, shinuuuuuuu said:

anyway, who's the woman getting the surgery on the next episode's preview? CY is it? why and how? i thought (at first) that'll gonna be the dementia lady. but also my question is why and how?

Right? And then one scene where she’s injured on the lip? Your question: I think the surgery is after the accident they got into and it’s CY. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, blademan said:

Right? And then one scene where she’s injured on the lip? Your question: I think the surgery is after the accident they got into and it’s CY. 

i may not get what you mean by the scene where she's injured on the lip. or did i just miss something? yes, i think so too (i that's CY undergoing the surgery) but if else, doesn't that mean the injury/accident will be severe? ugh, i can't separate surgery (especially those done on the head) with anything mediocre. lmao

• Like 1