[Drama 2019-2020] Chocolate, ♥ 초콜릿♥

icyphoenix

Sweet like Chocolate :D   

65 members have voted

1. 1. When will the OTP's first kiss be?

• episodes 13 -14
    • episodes 15 - 16
  2. 2. What will the ending be for the OTP?

• They will have a fairytale happy ending - reunited in Greece after a brief separation.
    • They will have a simple wedding at the hospice.
    • Both will have their illnesses resurface , and they end up in heaven together .
    • Lee Kang dies , and Lee Jun will take care of Cha Young.
    • Cha Young dies , and Lee Kang remains single thereafter.
    • Both remain single.
    • Others ( you can tell us what you think in the thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/2020 at 02:50 PM

If it race LK, MCY would have die before KMS 

with their bad luck & uncertain fate

but KMS clearly is a underdog , he was so fast, he  didn’t go past early episodes & die :joy:

output_vFFoOz.gif

** more hopeful for next week , I hope we done with the time jump 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

Chocolate: Episode 3

by SailorJumun

chocolate03-00094.jpg

Just when you thought things couldn’t get more complicated. Our chef was so sure that moving to Greece would fix everything, for her and for everyone else, but thanks to one bowl of dumpling stew, she’s right back to where she started. She’s already thinking of running away again, but maybe it’s time she stop running and start facing her problems head-on.

EPISODE 3 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/12/chocolate-episode-3/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hi, im new to this thread :blush: i binged all 4 ep in one night hahaha (weather was cold, i was bored and din want to waste time sleeping)..

i dun understand why LK has to suffer in grievances under the roof of that mercenary grandma and LJ family.. they looked down on his mom, no proper burial and don’t show him much love.. so why the grandma wanted to bring him back from Bado Restaurant in the first place? :expressionless: 

Min Seong was really a sweet guy.. i felt bad for him that he became the barrier between LK and CY.. btw, is he the same guy who acted as Jerome in Vagabond?? and then, to just get really sick and died.. wow, the PD kills off all side characters very fast.. :unamused:

then the additional build up link where the mall collapsed and LK’s mom was cheering young CY on in the rubbles.. hmm.. is this necessary? reminds me of another old drama with same tragedy plot..

then again, i really love the songs sceneries and delicious food in this drama :heart: also the dear volunteer ahjumma who is suffering from dementia.. i love how she made CY peel sacks of onions allowing her to cry her heart out :joy: the brother.. although very irritating at times, still a nice add on to the story haha

• Like 4

Found this post on Tumblr and it perfectly relays how I feel about this drama in words :heart:

d13e7c0c2cd6cab5573ce54d96026ce843d8482a

3bd94c85d73ced7dea2ebd2cb6a48711cf680b36

Spoiler

4fd049c39c2559a2a2c4efabd923f97000c06c8d

458294466257f996c51fe171d902a03b12d87dd7

This scene basically encapsulates the appeal of Chocolate (or any well-done traditional kmelo) to me. 

To me, a traditional melodrama is a highly artificial environment, purposely so - with its own rules and conventions and boundaries. Properly done, it’s artificial and stylized - it does not portray the real world per se. What it does is akin to an opera - it conveys a heightened emotional state. You may not run across its characters on the street (I cannot imagine any proper melodrama that I think is accurate to real life) but it condenses and somehow makes real emotions instead - longing, love, loss, memory, even joy. 

The scene above - they return from mourning his friend, he is exhausted and pulls over before he causes a crash, and she is helplessly drawn to wipe the tears he is crying in his sleep only for him to open his eyes, vulnerable and raw - it speaks to me on an emotional level that doesn’t have much to do with whether it is per se realistic. But everything has been designed to evoke emotion - the filters, the close-ups, the narrative choices of their quiet previous conversation which is nonetheless devastating in its emotional sparseness. The rain. When a truck crashes into them at this moment, someone can roll their eyes and think about improbabilities or clichés or what not, or (if you are me), one can feel the inevitability of emotional impact slamming in parallel with that truck and go - of course.

To me, a properly done melodrama (and I don’t mean shrill makjangy nonsense) is one of the pleasures in life; its characters are ones you invest in even as the world they are in is rigidly structured, its coincidences are full of emotional even if not factual logic. It’s rather like a Victorian novel that way. This is very old school and I don’t think I knew how much I missed that until I started watching this. I can see if this is not a subgenre you are used to or that otherwise doesn’t call to you, it can appear ???!!! not in a good way, but it’s such a present to someone like me (and it’s hard to do well; when you fail you get a mess like Lee Kyung Hee’s previous Uncontrollably Fond.) I don’t think we have had one in years because the last drama I remember people treating like a classic melo was Just Between Lovers and while that is a very well done show, it’s really more of a slice of life than a proper melo, certainly not a classic one. This one is the real deal, for good or ill.

Creds. Tumblr (@dangermousie)

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blademan said:

I don’t think we have had one in years because the last drama I remember people treating like a classic melo was Just Between Lovers and while that is a very well done show, it’s really more of a slice of life than a proper melo, certainly not a classic one. This one is the real deal, for good or ill.

I kinda agree with this - that it’s a classic melo.  Melo is exactly what the OTP is giving us and it’s what’s keeping me watching.  I just wish they paid more attention to details so it doesn’t irk the audience too much (eg yes definitely have that car scene with Kang napping and then CY wanting to wipe his tears away but at least have him drive off from the side of the road BEFORE getting hit with the truck?).  Had they been stopped on the road it would’ve been okay...but they were pulled over...off the road and he had his hazard lights on?  It’s these little details that ruin the melo experience for me.  I hope they pay more attention to details and don’t over dramatise.  It doesn’t need it...really.  The cast is fabulous.  They just need to be allowed to emote with less histrionics happening around them.  Less is more when your cast is capable.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, strwbrry said:

from all the emotional torture we’re having from 4 episodes, can’t wait for this apron scene of lee kang and cha young :D :D The sexual tension is there, obviously!!!

Yes more of this please.  See you don’t need histrionics to have us root for the OTP.  Just mundane everyday scenes with great acting...and we are guaranteed to melt.  :wub:.  My favourite scene so far has been the one where they were children and he cooks her food to eat.  This upcoming apron scene will probably be another.  Just let the audience settle into normalcy for a bit.  Comfort food preparation.  Warm and fuzzy moments when the OTP connect.  Chocolate.  The melt in your mouth kind.  A few bumps along the way for their relationship to cement.  These are the ingredients for a nice easy watch melo.  Don’t try to be too creative or over dramatise.  Let the leads work their magic as they know best.  

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I want to know more about CY background story. Only her was abandoned by her mother at that department store ? Why ?? And why her troublesome  brother follows her everywhere she goes making her suffer instead supporting her ?? This good for nothing brother deserves anything than beaten !  Like that scene ! Good for you CY :thumbsup:

Animated GIF

• Like 4