[Drama 2019] My Prettiest Daughter In The World/ Mother of Mine, 세상에서 제일 예쁜 내 딸

larus

In Sook has more brothers? In a way I like that we hear more about In Sook`s family but as we suspected, the writer wants the audience to feel sorry for her.

After In Sook abandoned her daughter, she took care of Han family and took care of her brothers. It seams that both brother are trouble making, especially the oldest, who did not appear on the scene yet. Jeong In Ho, the youngest brother, is a naive guy but he doesn`t seem competent for his job. He is divorced and has a child, and he gets in trouble often because of the oldest brother, mostly. OK. In Sook had a "good for nothing" kind of the family members but still doesn`t excuse what she did to her daughter.

In Sook married into a rich family. Chairman helped the poor family members of Na Hye Mi and it looks like In Sook`s family was helped too. I could sympathize with the fact that In Sook wants to save her family members but IMO, if they don`t apreciate the effort, they have to support the consequences of their actions. They are adults. You helped them once, you helped twice...but enough. How could Jeon In Ho, an incompetent, had so much money on his hands?

Na Do Jin is another incompetent. And he is worst. He is arogant too. Giving them power, and it is a way of directing you towards disaster. Put them really to work to gain their money. 

In Sook did say that Jeon In Ho had part time jobs, worked from the bottom. Because he is naive, he was used to make a bad business. In Sook and In Ho are covering for the older brother and now Tae Joo is helping them too. The vicious circle has to stop. Mi Ri is shocked now to discover that she has more family members she has not known about. But what a family! :crazy:

201907080737090456_1.jpg

http://star.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/201907080737090456

In the last episode, Woo Jin realised that he can`t escape his feelings for Hye Jin.

It was cute when he said: "I`m doomned". :D

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that In Suk gave up her daughter to protect her from her troublesome family so that she would be free from being chained like she is. Everyone has a story. It is up to the individual that watches the story to feel sympathy. I empathize with her situation greatly. The purpose of long dramas like these is explore family dynamics within their context over a significant period of time.

@larus yes, the cycle must stop, however, enmeshed families rarely have the differentiation of self which makes it difficult to serve the pure interests of self and family at the same time because enmeshed families identity is sole 100% family identity. It is important in my view that individuals identify with themselves so they can think for themselves, honor themselves, and also honor their families with healthy boundaries within family duty. 

4 hours ago, larus said:

In Sook has more brothers? In a way I like that we hear more about In Sook`s family but as we suspected, the writer wants the audience to feel sorry for her.

This is the only thing certain about the last episode. The probable premise that she left MR ( let's drop 'abandon' now she is going to be turned into Mother Teresa) because she wanted to take care of her feckless family and the privileged Hans has to be one of the most nonsensical that I have seen in KDs. The writer has run out of ideas here. She knew SJ's husband was a drunk and they had to put up with their monster MIL. Yet she left MR with money to be sent to the US. I am curious what plans could SJ make for a 6 year old Korean girl in the US. Boarding school? For 10-12 years, oo la la.. imagine the cost. SJ is going to arrange all that. B) 

More people ??? The show will now get IS two brothers plus the families probably. Oh my.

@larus

@Dyslexic heart  I don't  think those sweet newlywed scenes were from the writer. I think it was from the director. Good directors seem to bring the script to life.

Let us be charitable and assumed IS left her little girl because her brothers etc. were in dire straits. But for 30 years? She never once contacted SJ to find out how her daughter fared in the US? Nope, no charitable thoughts from me. 

The writer seemed undecided in making IS a hard nose business woman but at the same time a servant of the Han family; and a devoted mother to Tae Ju but absolutely no interest in her own flesh and blood; she managed to keep tabs on the Chairman's wife and keep her Director Park under her thumb but all she did was put her head in her hands when MR's future was at stake. Unbelievable.

However, all I wanted her to do was some serious slapping and hairpulling when TH's mum verbally abused her. Then, I'll be a bit charitable.

4 hours ago, maribella said:

I don't  think those sweet newlywed scenes were from the writer. I think it was from the director. Good directors seem to bring the script to life.

Either it was the director’s idea as you’ve mentioned, or they changed scriptwriter sometime somewhere. Can’t believe the disappointing and scatterbrained turn of events. 

I could empathize with a devoted sister who wants to save her family but when that sister makes a nonessential decision about a six years old girl and after 30 years she is in the same position, a victim of "unfortunate faith", I am out of symphaty. Who is this woman? She was suposed to be the CEO, a woman who took care of Han family for 30 years but she doesn`t seam to resolve anything.

I understand that there are mothers who sacrifice themselves for the well being of their child. I don`t see In Sook in this situation. It is true that we did not see the whole situation, we`ll find out  more information about the past but from what I`ve seen so far, In sook did not have a good reason to abandon her daughter. Maybe Mi Ri was lucky that Sun Ja was her mother and not In sook, she had her sisters and a good uncle but she did suffered a trauma beeing abandoned like that.

I agree with @maribella In Sook left her with some money to be send to US, and she never wanted to know what happened to her daughter. She did not send money all those years. Yeah, what she gave Sun Ja was not enough to raise a child in US. Maybe she thought that Sun ja will give her to adoption in US. Sun ja and her family did not have a good situation. I think that Mi Ri was lucky that Sun ja`s sacrifice and her determination took them out of the difficult situation they were in. Her husband was an alchoholic, her mother in law was a nightmare, they were poor.

Chairman Han put a condition for In Sook to enter Han family. It was a test and she decided to take the deal. In Sook married a rich man who did not have children. Han family could have taken care of a six years old child. The family could have protected a girl from the her extended family. Chairman Han gave properties to his new family`s wife. I think In Sook`s brothers were helped too. In Sook had to cover for the mistakes of her brothers for 30 years? Is the only solution she could get? I don`t think this works. I might sound heartless, and I know that it is hard to not be able to help a family member who took on a wrong road in life, but if that person causes trouble for the entire family again and again, it is necesary another aproach. In Sook became a hostage of her older brother`s misbehaving. She looks like an abuse victim who can go out.

From what In Sook said, the older brother is the one who is the most culpable. The woman we saw last episode was his wife, she is In sook`s sister in law? We`ll see this man on the scene?

In Sook called her brothers leeches. She is right. Na Do Jin is another leech, an incompetent man who was put in a higher position without any merit. Seeing Na Do Jin in the company is making my blood boil. No sympathy for such men. After more chances given, they do not change. Of course they don`t change. They take for granted all the help.

If Chairman Han will not forgive In Sook`s brother I will not hold that against him. But on the other hand, he is guilty that he promoted in his companies people who are not capable in high positions, he gave them executive jobs just because they are family members.

Mi Ri will be discovered to be part of In Sook`s family. Not only she is innocent in all this situation (beeing In sook`s daughter), she is the only one who worked hard and took a job by her own merit. If the writer will keep her strong and not succumb the unfair treatment of Han family, I will be pleased. It is the only request I have left from this show. 

One more thing...

How frustrating to see Na The Leech Do Jin treating Park Tae Ri so bad when a minute sooner he made a fool of himself in front of Marketing team with his incompetence. He is their boss. And Mi ri and even Tae Joo, who have highter position than him at work, could not say anything just because there is a rank in the family. At least, Tae Joo told him in private that he did wrong. I want to puke everytime Na Hye Mi or her brother mention about the rank in the family when they are so disrespectful. :crazy: Definetly, I could continue watching this drama if they keep Mi Ri strong until the end, even when it will come bad times for her.

4 hours ago, maribella said:

I don't  think those sweet newlywed scenes were from the writer. I think it was from the director. Good directors seem to bring the script to life.

The PD brings the scenes alive but he/she is doing what is in the script. So the writer wrote the OTP scenes in her script. We have to give her a little credit.  I read somewhere that there are situations when the directors are changing the script acording with his own views if there is a conflict of opinion.

5 hours ago, larus said:

I could empathize with a devoted sister who wants to save her family but when that sister makes a nonessential decision about a six years old girl and after 30 years she is in the same position, a victim of "unfortunate faith", I am out of symphaty. Who is this woman?

Just finished watching the latest few episodes and wondered was there a sudden change in plot direction?  The writer is now trying to make us feel sorry for IS and accept her behaviours?  I can't believe how many family members are coming out of the woodwork and how can these brothers and family not be known to MR who was 6 or 8 years old when abandoned?  Are we to believe that MR had no idea that her mother had any family members?  Of course all of the family members are incompetent and must rely on IS to keep them afloat.

Also, the Na sister and brother dual are written as predictable cartoon-ish evil characters.  Of course they will be a few steps ahead of MR, TJ and IS to bring them down.  We are almost certain to have to endure the rest of the series with MR in frustration and tears.:crazy:  Only hope is that her character stays competent in order to see through the plots and resolve them.

Pretty Chingus, I think you all are on to the writer.

I knew the moment she fell into that heap at her brother's house crying into TJ's arms that they were trying to make everyone feel sorry for her because clearly all of these years, she has been financing her leeching family members. You could tell from the look on her younger brother's wife's face, that this is something that has happened over and over again. So let's keep tally.

IS abandoned her daughter who seems to not know of her no-good uncles, so that she could marry into a rich family and save them from further debt? The problem with being an enabler is that the problem doesn't go away.

Her brother didn't just make bad business deals, he took bribes, which means the law may be involved and how will she be able to keep him from doing some type of jail time? Now, her relationship with the chairman makes more sense. He probably thinks she is an idiot and for all intents and purposes, she is. She should've abandoned her brothers. They clearly have made her life a living hell, and no amount of loans from her and TJ, and no amount of positions and deals has kept that from happening in 30 years. Instead, she has had to put out one fire after another. She has had to lend money time and time again, and now she's sick of it. That is why she drinks every night, she chose to abandon her daughter when she should've cut the brothers off.

Yes, that is harsh. I have an older brother whom I love dearly. Thank God we have an honest relationship. However, if it were toxic, I would have to put some serious space between us. Once again, TJ got on my nerves. I need the writers to smarten and toughen him up. Giving money to the brother, showing up over there with no real solution and only making matters worse further shows he is nowhere near ready to be a CEO. He has no street smarts and his intuition is low. His wife is still sulking everyday and all he can do is say she's the prettiest woman in the world. His disconnect from all of these things happening around him is startling. As miserable as MR is, she has a better grasp on what is happening around them than he does.

SJ spending an entire day laying in bed sick has to be the biggest drama scene of an over-dramatic mother ever! Then she snaps out of it and the first thing she wants to do is marry MH off to JB??? Like how many times does this girl have to tell them she doesn't like him? Even the uncle was prudent on that subject. WJ is in so deep it's not even funny. When MH accidentally splashed ddeokbukki sauce on his lips, then turned around, wiped it off with her fingers and then licked the sauce, I laughed out loud. It was like a romantic ad for spicy rice cakes. He was shook! WJ has trust issues because of his bad relationship with his father. That is why things didn't work out with the ex-wife, because she is too self-sufficient and sophisticated and that makes him feel lacking. But MH and her clumsiness and honesty makes him feel assured. He trusts her and that endears him to her.

That whole scene with the babysitter getting voice phished was like a bootleg tv commercial. However, I feel bad now that she is moving to Singapore with her husband. What are they going to do? It's good that JS is stepping up, he needed to, but they are back to square one. I really liked haroboji being a cab driver. He was funny doing that. Hopefully MS will take her daughter's advice and make up with MR.

55 minutes ago, nubianlegalmind said:

It's good that JS is stepping up, he needed to, but they are back to square one.

It looks too easy that Jin Soo is becoming more responsable as a father. But he is doing all that because he wants his precious bike back. He will take care of Da Bin after the babysitter will leave and maybe he will learn grow a little in the process. 

Hopefully MS will take her daughter's advice and make up with MR.

I hope so. I think Mi Sun wants a reconciliation too.

3 hours ago, travelling thru said:

We are almost certain to have to endure the rest of the series with MR in frustration and tears.:crazy:  Only hope is that her character stays competent in order to see through the plots and resolve them.

It is my number one wish. I hope the writer did not disappoint us again. Fingers crossed.

Once again, TJ got on my nerves. I need the writers to smarten and toughen him up. Giving money to the brother, showing up over there with no real solution and only making matters worse further shows he is nowhere near ready to be a CEO.

I think the Chairman Han was in his right when he was upset about what his son did. Tae Joo has a soft heart and I understand his intention but he will not help "his uncle" covering the unlawful act with his own money especially if Jeon In Ho was not at his first "mistake". He did the same mistake that In Sook has done for all these years.

Well, this drama took a perverted twist, or should I say predictable twist. Now we will have the "abuse and humiliation  of the daughter in law"  episodes. Ugh, that scene where she is putting on his tie was a turn off. A competent woman doing that for a little boy.  I loved her character and not they turned her into another martyred woman. But, that is what happens on these weekend shows. 

The character of the stop mom is deeply flawed, she was gone all that time comes back with no problem into the alpha seat. Yuck. 

At this stage the only interesting character is the oldest sisters boy child husband. He is hilarious. 

I hope that old man gets totally screwed by that wife and his family, get that geezer on his knees.  What a dreadful evil man.  

What is this 40 more episodes of this ? 

2 hours ago, Stellaa said:

Now we will have the "abuse and humiliation  of the daughter in law"  episodes. Ugh, that scene where she is putting on his tie was a turn off. A competent woman doing that for a little boy. 

Ewww. Horrible. I hope we won`t see that but I am afraid they can`t escape the pathern of those dramas.  What is with  this trop in dramas? Nobody wants to see the humiliation of dauther in law.

The writer saved the scene with the tie for me when Tae Joo said that he will dry her hair too. I took it as a little interaction between a married couple but it will become a turn off soon for me as well when Mi Ri will become a "servant" in that house. This is the second family drama I watched and the second time I see that a married woman, in a rich family, has to serve husband`s family. I saw the Chairman`s wife giving him the medicine. Now I see that Mi ri has to do it. Mi Ri is not a housewife like Na Hye Mi. She works hard at the company. I hope they won`t force her to quit her job.

2 hours ago, Stellaa said:

At this stage the only interesting character is the oldest sisters boy child husband. He is hilarious. 

He is hilarious. I like the actor and now I can`t imagine a better actor to play this man child.

3 hours ago, angelwingssf said:

Lacey dresses seems very popular with this actress.  I wish MR wore those kind of dresses.  She will look beautiful in those.  

We won`t see a different outfit for Mi Ri. In the office scene she will wear sober suits and at home she will wear very simple, practical clothes.

Yoo Sun and Hong Jong Hyun

She had a movie promotion .

I remember there was an old drama called "ON-AIR" , it's about a love story between script writer (Song Yoon-A) and PD (Park Yong-ha who passed away) , and the script writer did mention she needed to read the viewers' comments everyday and to monitor the drama rating so that she could fine tune her scripts to match viewers' expectation as this was not a post production drama.

For this drama, I would think the script writer has likely read the viewer's comments too. May be in Korea forum, not sure if they read outside of Korea. I hope they do read our comments in soompi forum :w00t:. Anyway, I am quite pleased to see some improvement on latest EP on the couple interaction in the early morning, puting tie for TJ while he blow hair for MR, these are the sweet gesture only for honeymoon period. If there are coming up bed scene on next EP, we can have some "wild imagination" on the scene again, but prepared nothing much to reveal.

After this drama ends, I hope KSY can pick up some other drama role, doctor, nurse, lawyer role, or air stewardess, no sad....but comedy one. :lol:

4 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

If there are coming up bed scene on next EP, we can have some "wild imagination" on the scene again, but prepared nothing much to reveal.

After this drama ends, I hope KSY can pick up some other drama role, doctor, nurse, lawyer role, or air stewardess, no sad....but comedy one. :lol:

I think the bed scene is a prelude to a pregnancy reveal.  Since the chairman wants grandchildren - are they going to add that in?

I have seen KSY in one another drama - prosecutor princess - I don't know how she would be in a comedy.  I saw her in this one when she had broken up with TJ and was heading to the bath with her mom SJ and she was trying to be funny and such and she sucked big time.  I think this bossy character suits her well.  The stare she gave NDJ was super.  

She was fine in PP. I watched and rewatched it. I think the writer purposely made her a workaholic here who doesn't know to have fun. Or rather had no fun in life and is stiff.

She was written as a frivolous princess in PP. And the drama showed her evolving into a more responsible adult. And she did that. She was spoilt and brazen in the beginning there. And KMR is not that here. KSY gets the job done. 

I don't actually want KMR pregnant yet. And be written off as incapacitated during her pregnancy. Na HM's brother needs to be squashed flatter than a bug first by her.

KSY has been doing excellent in her previous and the current roles, especially her past drama : villain role, the strong and the weak ones, the fighting and the comedy ones. We have seen too many crying scenes in her past drama, i know it's inevitable, but as a versatile actress like her, I am sure she can act something unexpected in a comical way, eg. have you seen her portrayed in All-IN-ONE shooting together with Park Tae-Ho (her subordinate) , it was soooo funny, I think @larus ever posted in this forum....:w00t:....something that you will never expect her to do it. She can be a chameleon, she needs to transform herself into another new one, an unexpected one with a relaxing role, but not a tense one (a tense or sad role would usually make her hands very stiff which I seen it many times in this drama and in Happy home)....lets see any new project offers her after this drama...

13 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

It could be whatever genre but I hope Soyeon will not do another soap opera kind of drama. It is about the writing. I can`t stand some of the trops. I am glad that recently there are roles for actresses in their 40s but it is still not enough. The male actors over 40s get meatier roles than females. I just want a good script for my girl.

BTS pictures

Archived