[Drama 2019] My Prettiest Daughter In The World/ Mother of Mine, 세상에서 제일 예쁜 내 딸

larus

wow! its going to be another rollercoaster ride for MR? :frown: here chairman han seems supportive of TJ and MR marriage and meets up with SJ.. there, the cursed secret of IS and MR as mother and daughter *facepalm*

im just catching snippets from IG on the episodes..

as if being tired of MH-WJ-JB scenes isnt enough, that JS is getting on my nerves with his toys as well.. soon the remaining episodes are going to be fast forwarding all scenes with these people and left with only 30% worth watching :grimace:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, larus said:

They are good. The same. 22/28% Saturday episode.

It really depends on  the writer. So far she managed to do well. The last half of a drama is the hardest part. 

Good to know. I hope we get to see more tender moments between MR and TJ again soon. 

What’s the deal with the entrance to the chairman’s study? One day it’s the long hallway with a doorman, then by the living room the next? Or does he have two rooms? 

Jin Soo simply needs a man cave for his toys. WHEN he can be a responsible father and husband, asking for it is not a big of a deal anymore. 

Kim So Yeon’s height difference from HJH was further emphasized when she wasn’t wearing high heels. He had to bend down really low for that hug :lol:

Language question: i have heard Sun Ja refer to Da Bin with pet names but in korean language it sounds like it ends with _____seki? My apologies if the word is inappropriate. I’m confuzzled as it is. 

2 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

wow! its going to be another rollercoaster ride for MR? :frown: here chairman han seems supportive of TJ and MR marriage and meets up with SJ.. there, the cursed secret of IS and MR as mother and daughter *facepalm* 

It is so unfair. Mi Ri had to suffer because she was abandoned by her mother and now, after 30 years, she will have problems because she is the biological daughter? In Sook is so selfish. She says all the time how bad it will be for both of them when Chairman finds out, because they are related. Maybe it will be bad but Mi ri and Sun ja don`t have to be manipulated to lie for her.  I wish they reveal the truth.Too bad for the Chairman or who the hell will be against Mi Ri. Tae Joo found a very good woman. If he won`t realise that it is not Mi Ri`s fault at all, he doesn`t deserve to have her in their life. He doesn`t deserve a good son either. 

The preview

skipping through the raws.

Question: Does anyone ever have a conversation with the chairman without shouting sajangnim at least once?

TJ: So while I understand what he's doing I'm still on the fence about him dragging his "relationship" with Miri out for inspection, when she hasn't even agreed to the relationship. Just because someone loves you, doesn't mean they are willing to have a relationship with you. As divorce couples.  Sometimes they may still love each other but can't figure out a way to be together.

The office gossip: I know he is meant to be comic relief, but I just find him cringemaking.

IS: She need a friend to stop her from drunk dialing her ex [daughter]. lol

--I think the plotline of the chairman taking everything away from his wife and family is meant to show that IS fears aren't without basis.

--I was going to write something else, but I'm tired of IS and her wanting EVERYFREAKINGPERSON to put her needs before their own when she hasn't done anything for them except push a child out of the birth canal 30+ years ago. What can I say I've run out of patience/out of sympathy.

The Jung Husbands: --MiSun's husband's shopping is an addiction.  He should get help or go live in his parent's basement. [Unfortunately they don't have a basement.] He and his father should just go live in that man playroom he's created in the hotel.

Not sure if this is discussed already. This is a separate topic from the MR and TJ drama. 

I can see this drama coming full circle with MH is the writer and JB the screen writer writing out the drama script. MH is currently writing a novel about a mother and her 3 daughters, and JB is the famous screen writer. Their partnership as a family is what will bring together the ending. Kinda like a story within a story feel. If this drama ends well, with high ratings this will definitely be interesting to see. The characters MR, TJ, IS, SJ, etc aren't acting a drama, but are characters within a drama written by MH and JB. 

Just some thoughts :D

@Dyslexic heart please don't take this the wrong way when I explain this. It is used as an affectionate term. It is 새끼 sae- kki. Used for an older person addressing a younger person esp if its their child. It must be used to someone close to the person saying it through. The same reason why you hear " nyeon " used in other dramas. It is an unfortunate fact that I picked up the art of swearing when learning Korean. People don't realize it but I actually picked up the exact meaning of cursing when subbing and translating those curses. There is a full version of these 2 terms and what the actual full profanities are/ mean.

@larus gotcha. Off to work. Another week of torture waiting till Sat night. With no spoilers from the station. Grrr....

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

@Dyslexic heart please don't take this the wrong way when I explain this. It is used as an affectionate term. It is 새끼 sae- kki. Used for an older person addressing a younger person esp if its their child. It must be used to someone close to the person saying it through. The same reason why you hear " nyeon " used in other dramas. It is an unfortunate fact that I picked up the art of swearing when learning Korean. People don't realize it but I actually picked up the exact meaning of cursing when subbing and translating those curses. There is a full version of these 2 terms and what the actual full profanities are/ mean.

I totally understand. Must be those cuss words used as terms of endearment by old people who curse a lot on those they are very close to. Mostly by parents and grandparents to their little rascals. Thanks for clearing it up for me. 

Just watched eps51-52 raw. It looks like IS is refusing to announce motherhood again. My guess is Chairman Han is going to find out about it himself, making it worse than being told. 

MR asked IS why she was putting up with all that when her husband left her a big fortune. She said that she didn't know why.

So I am thinking: how else are they going to redeem her? No axe to grind, no wrong to be made right.

That dress with a huge bow is so ugly B). Poor actress, I have always seen her well dressed. We thought she was agonising over her mother daughter issue but it could well be that dress. :)

3 hours ago, maribella said:

That dress with a huge bow is so ugly B). Poor actress, I have always seen her well dressed. We thought she was agonising over her mother daughter issue but it could well be that dress. :)

It seemed like a house dress trying to look glamorous. Anyhow, it could have been sponsored... but still. 

When the chairman was projecting his wife’s philandering ways on MiRi and she called him out for it, he was testing her grit and values which ended up with a decision  of marriage. But darn, he is so wishy-washy it hurts my brain. 

8 hours ago, hushhh said:

TJ: So while I understand what he's doing I'm still on the fence about him dragging his "relationship" with Miri out for inspection, when she hasn't even agreed to the relationship. Just because someone loves you, doesn't mean they are willing to have a relationship with you. As divorce couples.  Sometimes they may still love each other but can't figure out a way to be together.

Thank goodness he conceded to keeping the courtship low key again if she agrees on meeting him every now and then. Although it’s a plan in itself to make his intentions known, it is partly harrassment on her part while blatantly challenging his father. Mr han knows his son is headstrong. 

@maribellaThat dress with the huge bow really is ugly! For a moment I thought she was wearing a dressing gown on top of her dress and she'd casually swung the dressing gown over her shoulder and didn't put it on properly. Geez...I agree that poo poo is going to hit the fan when the chairman finds out about IS. 

I dislike the chairman immensely but then I do understand where he's coming from. He must have distrusted IS from the start for knowing that she was so ready to abandon her daughter to marry into the family and then he too must know that She has never looked for or bothered about her daughter. I think there's long standing distrust towards IS on the chairman's part and that whole notion that she was a gold digger. So technically she has spoilt it for MR and TJ. IS really takes the cake as one of the worst Kdrama mothers ever. I don't like how she calls MR to her place when no one is on her side. Like what was she expecting? For MR to console and comfort her after she threw her under the bus? Apart from lending her womb to MR for 9 months there's really no other motherly qualities that IS has showed towards MR. Yes I am aware that there are circumstances that lead people to abandon their children BUT...even after all these years did she redeem herself? No. Was she happy to see her daughter? No. She only thought about her supposedly miserable position within the family that she was trying so hard to protect. Well she keeps throwing herself a pity party and insisting that her life isn't as great as everyone thinks it is but then she doesn't follow that up with her actions. She's a bit nutty this IS.

OHHHH MY HEART...it cannot simply beat properly seeing all those scenes with TJ and MR. On one hand I'm so torn between berating TJ for being so forward and on the other hand I'm so upset for him that it's no fault of his that they can't be together. I'm also glad that he got to explain his sincere feelings towards MR. I do however feel that he is aware of MR's insecurities and how she's a bit cynical and he's done well to explain what he planned to do once she got back from her business trip. I'm shipping this couple so hard and hoping that all ends well for them. Just hope it doesn't end up a Titanic :(

11 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

wow! its going to be another rollercoaster ride for MR? 

12 hours ago, Dyslexic heart said:

I was banking on the writer’s unpredictability which was why i was kinda hooked to this drama. I just wish they won’t have to keep the mother-daughter secret for long. Give us more surprises and twists to keep us all alive and excited again. Btw how are the ratings lately. Haven’t checked. 

Haha. agreed with both of you. :lol: That was the reason why i kept saying the storyline is the most important to any drama to hook on, which gave surprises and unpredictable plots at the end of each EP. I hope the writer can continue to give us more twists. :wub:

I like the best part of the latest ep was when MR trashed out her anger and emotion, and be candid to what she said and felt on their MR-TJ relationship. That explained why chairman han liked her alot as being a honest and capable woman. She did not swallow her pride but instead she said what she needed to say. MR was brave enough to do that. The anger shouting from Chairman Han and later move to his cunning and evil smile (after MR walked out from the room), I must give him applauded on that sudden shift of his facial expression, only "heavy-weight" and experience actor can portray that. :lol:

I found it very comical when i watched the office colleague, especially that Funny Mr Park was using the beckon hand, at the staff canteen....sometimes we need a relief plot from the tension came from the 4 entangle characters....

Going to China or not to,  I shall leave it to writer's paradigm shift mindset to create twists for next week ep....one thing for sure, adding more characters into the ep, like chairman wife and son move from US and his wife's brother may stir up more negativity and conflicts in the Hans family. Since we have so many ep to go, likely will have chance to see money and power struggling plots happening in the upcoming ep in Hans family. Lets see...

“Arthdal Chronicles” Recovers From Decline In Viewership With Latest Episode; “Mother Of Mine” Continues Winning Streak At No. 1

by E. Cha

46a9b6efd8f1407cb6a33ac379e9ea7b.jpeg?s=
Meanwhile, KBS 2TV’s “Mother of Mine” also enjoyed an increase in its viewership ratings from the night before. Continuing its reign as most-watched weekend drama, “Mother of Mine” scored average ratings of 26.7 percent and 31.8 percent nationwide for its June 16 broadcast.

3 hours ago, maribella said:

ust watched eps51-52 raw. It looks like IS is refusing to announce motherhood again. My guess is Chairman Han is going to find out about it himself, making it worse than being told. 

It is a minor problem who became bigger because the truth was not revealed at the time. And all of this because of In Sook`s insecurities. When even Chairman approved the marriage, it has to be In Sook... again. It will be worst that innocent people like Mi Ri and Sun ja were caught in her web of lies.

Kdrama fashion

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, larus said:

“Arthdal Chronicles” Recovers From Decline In Viewership With Latest Episode; “Mother Of Mine” Continues Winning Streak At No. 1

Meanwhile, KBS 2TV’s “Mother of Mine” also enjoyed an increase in its viewership ratings from the night before. Continuing its reign as most-watched weekend drama, “Mother of Mine” scored average ratings of 26.7 percent and 31.8 percent nationwide for its June 16 broadcast.

Assa! Really haven’t watched the other drama because the anxiety of watching Mother of Mine is already heavy to handle. I hope our writer here keeps it up till the end. 

Watched the subs

1- All of Miri's scenes were well written. Her first scene when she stood up to the chairman was amazing.  Her integrity was her backbone. She did not lie.  She said she had feeling for TJ but was not going to let her association with him undermine professional reputation after she had done years of work to create her reputation.  She made no promise to the chairman she was not willing to keep.  She called him on every blufff--she won.

2-

Spoiler

2- Her second meeting with The chairman was a knock- you- back- on- your- heels encounter for her but not unexpected for the audience. Now of course he wants her to marry TJ which heighten the conflict because TJ has the go ahead and MiRi has confessed she loved him, and without his father's objection she has no public reason not to marry him.

This turns the screws on IS who they are rapidly turning into a functioning alcoholic.   [Aside: in Korean dramas, if you drink yourself into oblivion in the presence of others, that's seen as normal/ no problem. If you do the same amount of drinking alone, then . . . that's different.]

(If or ) when the chairman finds out about IS is MiRi mom, he can respond in a myriad of ways.

Because the chairman is a raving misogynist, he might assume that the development is a long term con cooked up by IS and work to destroy IS and MiRi.

Because the chairman is a raving misogynist, he might accept the fact that MiRi hates IS for abandoning her [something he orchestrated] and try to get MiRi to work with him to strip IS of everything she's worked for since she abandoned Miri.

3- MiRi MUST tell TJ immediately, or at least before they take the next step in their relationship.

-She doesn't have to tell the chairman--because she writers must have their tension.

-She must tell TJ and this can be one of the first challenge they work through as a couple.

-The issue is if she doesn't tell him, she is now doing the exact same thing he did [not tell her about his family] that led to distrust and disruption in their relationship.

Writing the kind of drama is difficult, since you have to juggle so many plots and character to develop and give story arcs.   The writer is doing a wonderful job creating fantasy perfection with Miri and TJ while keeping them rooted in as much reality as a drama will allow. However the writers are not serving the other characters as well. 

IS is very poorly written.  Either IS is a one dimensional character or there more going on than we see.

If there is more going on than status hunger and insecurity, the writers withholding information in order to build mystery is not working.The actress is working so hard to create complexity, but the written material is not supporting her at all. 

Maybe this is just my North American perspective about parenting: but seriously I just think IS is delusional. She doesn't explain her decision to leave her child behind yet she returns decade later and expect the deference and respect that hands-on parents EARN?!!?!?!?!?!?!? WTH?

- The "I'm your mother, listen to me" BS just boils my blood because she has never made an attempt explain her choice to her daughter.

- She has no one on her side, and usually I'd feel sorry for that kind of career, but even with that, she seems to feel entitled to the loyalty of others without doing one thing to earn it.  

To review her action with

She leave her child and tells SJ to send the child to America

-Where in America?

-To whom in a America?

-She talks about SJ lack of sophistication, so how could she expect SJ to make proper arrangements. 

-You are going to send a 8? year old child by herself to a country where she doesn't speak the language and knows no one?  seriously? Who with a conscience would do that.  I'm not saying sending a child away is heartless, but randomly sending a child away is.

- IS never checked in to see how those arrangements were going, she only sent money.  -I can't even be bothered writing more about IS the delusional. 

I am liking that the TJ/MR story is moving. MR's demand to be sent to China made the old man sputter .... that he hired MR to work hard for the company and teach TJ then MR says, send TJ to China. LOL. Told the boss of all bosses that she is owed an apology for being insulted, being thought of as an opportunist when she fell in love with someone she thought of as a junior employee. She was the one who was deceived and not the other way around, then stood up and says she has a meeting to attend and can't be late, bowed and walked out head high. It tickled the Chairman. This is the 2nd time he met a woman who is not intimidated by him, the first was with Madame Wang. Chairman asked for a background investigation. I would have thought that the investigation will yield the relationship between IS and SJ? How about the births of the three daughters? That will show that SJ was in the hospital to give birth twice and the dates of the births, and will put MR legitimacy as a daughter by blood in question. Maybe hospital records would not exist from years ago. Also, it seems that no one of the employees are loyal to the masters because their loyalty depends on bribery. 

However, now that the chairman has tested MR's love for TJ and her savvy and command of company business as well as her loyalty to the company, he now orders her to marry TJ. MR is useful to the chairman to keep In Sook in check and make TJ seriously concentrate on learning the business. For the chairman, he found a power couple for his company.

The secret of MR being the daughter of the selfish, only what she wants matters and damn everyone else's, IS, needs to be revealed already and the consequences dealt with. TJ needs to grow up and stop chasing MR all over the company and encouraging gossip. Trully, it is MR who will get the brunt of the gossip and not TJ. He can show his love by seriously learning his role as heir, as well as supporting her. Since the families are going to be introduced to the other, I hope SJ will summon TJ just like the chairman did to MR and ask TJ questions about his sincerity, his determination to marry her daughter. TJ should go through with SJ of what MR has gone through with his father. I hope that SJ will take the side of MR and TJ against IS and support them. TJ will need MR and the support of SJ when he learns about IS. It seems IS taking the role of being a mother to TJ is very conditional and useful to her goals and intentions of grabbing a big portion of the Hansung pie. 

I know that a trope of another break up is in the cards following the Kdrama tropes however, why should TJ and MR breakup because of the sins of their parents and a much used trope? This will show what TJ is made of when he learns of the secret. Will it break him or will it arouse and galvanize the determination of TJ to be self reliant, competent and solid in his  love for MR or will he let the elders use him as fodder in a fight to fulfill their selfish ambitions especially IS whom he regarded with love as his mother?

As for WJ and MH story, let the ex wife appear. Maybe she can teach a thing or two to MH about growing up. MS needs to leave the husband already. 

So far, MR has proven to be the strongest character in this series. Of all the daughters, it is ironic that she is the one most like SJ. 

2 hours ago, hushhh said:

MiRi MUST tell TJ immediately, or at least before they take the next step in their relationship.

Yes, she should definetly tell him the truth. He knows something is up between them, and he will asked In Sook next episode why she is against the relationship but he can`t imagine what is going on. I am afraid that the writer will do with Mi ri the same she did with Tae Joo. We saw that she knows what it is right thing to do and that she wants to confess but  the truth will be reveal before she will do it. That`s the soap opera way of giving a little conflict. It was alright one time but to do the second time the same way? I really wish the writer will avoid this.

What upsets me more is that everything became a bigger problem because of her. In Sook made a mountain out of a molehill because of her insecurities, because of her selfishness. I like how Mi Ri pointed out that she is putting herself not only before her own daughter but before the person she raised and claim to love him as a son.

The fact that Mi Ri is In Sook`s daughter might have had bigger impact for Tae Joo and Mi ri`s relationship if she will have an issue with it. But she is not resenful at all, she understands Tae Joo`s feelings. Tae Joo might have felt guilty at first but he would have been all right. I am sure he would not have left her because of what she did to Mi Ri.

Now, he might feel worst. I am sure he will understand Mi Ri`s reactions better, why she wants to compete with In Sook, why she wants Hansung Apparel CEO position. He will fell bad that In Sook gave him her caring instead of giving it to her own daughter. But in the same time he will be hurt that both In Sook and Mi ri kept him in the dark. 

Mi Ri knows well how she felt when Tae Joo kept his secret and she will do it anyway.

Just like Tae Joo`s secret, Mi Ri`s secret is not something to separate them for a long time. But I wish the writer will surprise us one more time with another plot development, something we don`t expect.

I am upset that In Sook will cause Mi Ri and Tae Joo problems. Now that Chairman Han likes Mi Ri and wants her to be his daughter in law. He realised that she is worth it but he will be rightfully angry when he will find out the truth. It will be worst because he liked her.

IS is very poorly written.  Either IS is a one dimensional character or there more going on than we see.

If there is more going on than status hunger and insecurity, the writers withholding information in order to build mystery is not working.The actress is working so hard to create complexity, but the written material is not supporting her at all. 

Exactly. I was waiting for a real reason to behave this way. But In Sook is just pathetic, with no redeemable qualities whatsoever. She dragged everyone in her deception. She should have been proud of Mi Ri and her accomplishments, but she chose to hide her because she was not willing to reveal her sins, to take responsabilities for what she did. He hide behind Chairman Han`s bad temper to motivate her actions. Maybe she really is afraid to lose everything because she knows deep down that everything she built in her life was at the expence of her own daughter`s  suffering. Maybe she is afraid that only person she has invested, Tae Joo, will turn against her. 

She is doing more harm that a true villian who will plot to keep the OTP apart. She even tries to convince Sun ja to object at her daughter`s marriage, happiness. Please, Sun Ja and Mi Ri, don`t listen to her!

You are going to send a 8? year old child by herself to a country where she doesn't speak the language and knows no one?  seriously? Who with a conscience would do that.  I'm not saying sending a child away is heartless, but randomly sending a child away is.

A six years old child. But being 8 it would have been the same.  Imagine a six years old child being abandoned by her own mother and then to feel again the abandonement in a foreign country. I don`t think In Sook sent money every year to Sun ja. She gave her a large amount of money at once and never looked back. She thought her daughter is living well in US. How come? She never asked herself what she become, she did not know that Sun ja had a hard time after the dead of her husband. She thought Mi Ri was adopted by a good family in US? I can`t wait for the truth to be revealed. I can`t take it anymore. It will take the burden on Mi Ri`s shoulders too. Even if the things will go bad for her, everything is better that be dragged in In Sook`s nighmare.

26 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

Told the boss of all bosses that she is owed an apology for being insulted, being thought of as an opportunist when she fell in love with someone she thought of as a junior employee. She was the one who was deceived and not the other way around, then stood up and says she has a meeting to attend and can't be late, bowed and walked out head high. 

I really loved it. I could not believe it when I saw what she said but I so loved it. That`s how I want to see her.

the writer needs to give MR a breather.. its such a tensed up life :frown: she needs more lemon soju haha but TJ stays so far and is no longer the white knight to the rescue if she gets tipsy.. lol

i’ll probably watch last weekend’s episodes with this coming weekend’s.

and, yay for arthdal chronicles too!! haha im watching both.. and there’s 2 more new ones in july.. hotel del luna and watcher (fortunately the first chapter of A.C. ended last weekend so i get a little break)

why do i watch so much kdramas and still hopeless with picking up the korean language?? :neutral:

4 hours ago, larus said:

A six years old child. Imagine a six years old child being abandoned by her own mother and then to feel again the abandonement in a foreign country. I don`t think In Sook sent money every year to Sun ja. She gave her a large amount of money at once and never looked back. She thought her daughter is living well in US. How come? She never asked herself what she become, she did not know that Sun ja had a hard time after the dead of her husband. She thought Mi Ri was adopted by a good family in US? I can`t wait for the truth to be revealed. I can`t take it anymore. It will take the burden on Mi Ri`s shoulders too. Even if the things will go bad for her, everything is better that be dragged in In Sook`s nighmare.

My problem with IS is, that she was working as a broadcaster when her husband died. SJ was worse off than her, she also had 2 children and she was still married when she adopted MR, but from MR's description they were still poor and worsened when SJ husband died. IS in the meantime had a stable job. She could have talked to SJ about taking in MR and she giving them support but not leaving MR entirely. Sort of an open adoption where she still would have maintained a relationship with her daughter even if she remarried. However, she chose money and ambition over her daughter and the rest of her family as in her sister in law, SJ. Maybe when she was given the conditions of marriage she was only being tested. Who knows then if she fought for her daughter to be part of her family if the chairman would have given in and respected her like he does MR now? She was more in love with money and prestige than her daughter therefore in the eyes of the chairman she is a weakling and is proving to be one. 

One other thing, the chairman ordered his wife's credits cards taken away and money supply stopped. Hope she was smart enough to save money. He also ordered his 10 year old son Tae Ho to be returned to Korea and to his home alone without the mother? Poor TH another victim of greed and corporate politics by the elders. 

Archived