[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Emperors and Me 眾王駕到

sugarplum892

I watched random bits and pieces of the show, mostly because I'm curious how the story will go.

I like the lead couple, they look good together. Chemistry isn't the strongest I have seen but it's believable at least.

I like Qin Shang for being adaptable and recognizing the world has "changed". He was definitely humbled in the process.

I like Guo Yan as the level headed friend of both leads and he also seems to be the one who leads the trio in discovering the secrets of their destinies, even though there is no official recognition of that leadership role.

No offence to any fans, but I really can't stand Murong Yu. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so there could be others who find him good looking although I definitely do not feel so. The fact that he is effeminate can also be overlooked if the role requires so, but I don't think it does. His character is quite tiresome in that he doesn't seem to be able to let go of Luo Xi, despite her 3Rs...Repeated Respectful Rejections...

Can't expect feelings to just disappear, but when the other party has to keep rejecting you, that means you have been making her uncomfortable with your feelings (or the show of it). The way he pouts and sulks when the lead couple are behaving as a normal couple should, is nothing short of eye rolling irritating, at least to me.

The worst? His acting...I find his acting really awkward most of the time, compared to the others. I haven't watched any shows by anyone from this drama but the rest are doing fine in general at least. He really needs to brush up on his acting...

My 2 cents after completing this drama. 

Yes the plot is silly. It has the rooftop prince vibe, but storyline has a Fushigi Yuugi-ish storyline thrown in with Chinese mythology/cultivation type story. 

The acting is acceptable because all these actors have acted in some dramas before. I think they are used to support roles more. They are inexperienced in acting as leading roles. The leading girl was Hua Zheng in the 2017 Legend of Condor Heros, so they do have some experience under their belt.

I do have to say I find the kiss scene terrible and chemistry not so strong. Like the acting is awkward when the actor/actresses interact with each other. When they act their characters on their own I think they did a pretty good job. I remember seeing parts of the scenes on instagram and that drew me to completing the drama. It's not so bad where I would have to stop and give up. There are dramas I gave up because it was getting so bad. 

I do want to praise how beautiful the opening credit was edited, the music and the costumes. I think if they had more budget and it was a longer drama it would have potential. Does anyone know the name of the opening credit song (the instrumental in the beginning)? 

About the characters, I see why people like Murong Yu because his character is interesting -- more so than Qin Shang, which I get annoyed when all he does is to resort to violence. In terms of acting I think Gao Tai Yu did much better than the guy who acted as Murong. Considering the actress playing Le Xue as the 2nd leading lady, I'm kind of sad her screen time is short. I like her character and it could have been developed more to be more complex and have more depth. There's also less background story about "chaos" and the plot was being "told" instead of being shown.

If I had to recommend this I would only for the editing, music, costumes and the way the scenes are shot. The script could use some work. Instead of having 3 emperors--given 24 episodes 1 or 2 would have been enough. 3 was overkill. I came here after finishing "About is Love", which I recommend if you're looking for something cute. 

Archived