[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Ever Night 2 将夜 2

Lynne

I'm not sure how tall DW is in comparison to CFY but man, CF has such a perfect build/physicality appearance-wise as NQ & the way he fits into the costumes. CFY is all grown up too. Cant believe hes 20 this year. He really grew into his face/looks.

I dont know what DW sounds like but I'm seeing in the post that hes not using his actual voice? 

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

I'm not sure how tall DW is in comparison to CFY but man, CF has such a perfect build/physicality appearance-wise as NQ & the way he fits into the costumes. CFY is all grown up too. Cant believe hes 20 this year. He really grew into his face/looks looking much more mature/older. 

I dont know what DW sounds like but I'm seeing in the post that hes not using his actual voice? 

CFY is 188 (some say closer to 190?) cm, DW is I think 184. Beyond the height difference, it appears to some extent that it's also the quality of the costumes. That secret bodyguard robe on DW looks like draped bedsheets, whereas CFY's are well-tailored. His build helps, for sure, he's not scrawny like DW, but it just speaks to the overall lower quality of the production. 

I'm starting to wonder if Chen Kaige influenced the quality of the production of EN1 and we're seeing the consequences of not bringing back his kid :phew:

And yes, that's not his real voice. His is higher pitched 

16 minutes ago, Lbpg said:

CFY is 188 (some say closer to 190?) cm, DW is I think 184. Beyond the height difference, it appears to some extent that it's also the quality of the costumes. That secret bodyguard robe on DW looks like draped bedsheets, whereas CFY's are well-tailored. His build helps, for sure, he's not scrawny like DW, but it just speaks to the overall lower quality of the production. 

I'm starting to wonder if Chen Kaige influenced the quality of the production of EN1 and we're seeing the consequences of not bringing back his kid :phew:

And yes, that's not his real voice. His is higher pitched 

CFY has a really good/mature voice too & it's his natural voice/no dubbed in the ENS1. Its befitting of the character. 

The filming/production was delayed for S2 from it's original plan in Spring 2018 to the changed date in late Fall/Winter 2018 due to late/insufficient funding. CFY could no longer revived his role as NQ because it clashed with his first semester/year & college schedule in the fall 2018 as around the same time the production team started production/filming for ENS2. 

19 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

CFY has a really good/mature voice too & it's his natural voice/no dubbed in the ENS1. Its befitting of the character. 

The filming/production was delayed for S2 from it's original plan in Spring 2018 to the changed date in late Fall/Winter 2018 due to late/insufficient funding. CFY could no longer revived his role as NQ because it clashed with his first semester/year & college schedule in the fall 2018 as around the same time the production team started production/filming for ENS2. 

There was some controversy rumored that it had to do more with Tencent withholding funds, not a simple insufficiency, because they wanted the (at the time) bigger name attached, or something of the sort. Either way, my comments was facetious. 

Correct, his voice to a great degree made the character, along with his physical presence. NQ is a menacing anti-hero that doesn't give a f about anything but SS. It's a great character and I'm glad we had the chance to see it come to life like that. 

7 minutes ago, Lbpg said:

There was some controversy rumored that it had to do more with Tencent withholding funds, not a simple insufficiency, because they wanted the (at the time) bigger name attached, or something of the sort. Either way, my comments was facetious. 

Correct, his voice to a great degree made the character, along with his physical presence. NQ is a menacing anti-hero that doesn't give a f about anything but SS. It's a great character and I'm glad we had the chance to see it come to life like that. 

That I did not know. 

I read it somewhere way back when ENS1 began airing, there was a delay & the production team did not recieve full funding to startup production yet. I'm not quite sure about the details but what you mentioned is interesting. 

CFY & SYR had really good chemistry too.

1 minute ago, greenwatch08 said:

That I did not know. 

I read it somewhere way back when ENS1 began airing, there was a delay & the production team did not recieve full funding to startup production yet. I'm not quite sure about the details but what you mentioned is interesting. 

CFY & SYR had really good chemistry too.

They did! If I can find what I read I'll dm you it. But like I said it's all rumors, the truth is not known. But for sure all that wasn't handled well, with the timing of the announcement, too. Right after it started airing, that's a bit of a punch in the gut to the drama. Thankfully it wasn't affected

I din watch S1 but I am not sure why the female lead look so mismatch with the male lead. It doesn't help that she looks like 1 of the beggar, she looks quite terrible in S2.

I had to search the previous season to get some crash course on the show.The cast look so much better previously, all of the cast looks quite "extra" except the flower addict, book addict n the new demonic prince together with Dylan Wang. The "dao" addict looks like some random extra that prolly look best among other unknown actors.

Is the show suppose to have modern twist? Y did the emperor hug him in such a modern day format, n the Shifu having some hotpot that sounds like the same instant hotpot that is selling at minimart nowadays. Tang imperial family seems to appear for the sake or appearing.

49 minutes ago, firipy said:

the Shifu having some hotpot that sounds like the same instant hotpot that is selling at minimart nowadays. 

Hehehe, I actually find it funny. Wonder if it's an added humour or something. Lol

Wait till you get to the episode whereby chen pipi talked about 

Spoiler

Deliveryoo/grab food/food panda type of services. Lol

I'm into the 4th episode of EN2, but I'm still not feeling the "magic" of EN1. I don't know what was the budget for both seasons but EN1 does have a more luxurious feel to it. More cinematic. In EN2, so far I look forward to SS scenes probably because she is the constant between the 2 seasons. She also didn't change much in terms of wardrobe and hairstyle so I don't doubt her as SS.

EN1 introduced me to CFY. I thought he performed well as NQ. Being young and new, obviously there is a lot of room for improvement, but there was a rawness about his acting that I appreciate. Towards the end of S1, I thought CFY had the right amount of arrogance, cheekiness, coldness and frustration in his delivery of NQ's character. He was a bit awkward in his later lovey-dovey scenes with SS, but the script played a part in that because of the sudden turn of events. In fact, my other negative comments for S1 such as the NQ-SS confrontation at her parents' house is also largely due to the the production choices rather that the acting. In scenes where NQ is being defiant such as when questioning why he must choose, his harshness against LY/LQ/others was well delivered. We also had the advantage of seeing NQ from being a small time soldier in the desert, evolving into the powerful Mr 13 of the academy, so any awkwardness that CFY might had himself was transferred to the character.

In EN2, things have progressed far for NQ. He is a black horse who had overcame most expectations, he is now a successful cultivator and enjoys solid support from the academy and emperor. So whenever DW gives an awkward delivery of NQ, we can no longer transfer that to the character. DW is also viewed as the more experienced/ established actor (going into the NQ role) between the 2 actors - expectations are laid on him - so coupled with the below par production of S2 and the unsuitable voice dub, has the misfortune of being endlessly compared. It is unfair, but that is the reality. Had DW started as NQ from S1, I'd probably think that he is not a bad choice for NQ. But CFY already spoiled me...

I mean, I don't think CFY is a great new actor in his stint as NQ, compared to say... Liu Haoran (LHR is a natural). But CFY felt right.

Adding more woes to EN2 are unnecessary changes to hair and costumes. Even 1st bro's hair is different!

I'll still watch it because I'm already invested in this saga, having read the novel and all. But boy do I miss CFY's side profile....

4 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

Hehehe, I actually find it funny. Wonder if it's an added humour or something. Lol

Wait till you get to the episode whereby chen pipi talked about 

Reveal hidden contents

Deliveryoo/grab food/food panda type of services. Lol

In EN1 pizza hut was one of the sponsors. There were scenes with actual pizza hut food. Even fantasy dramas need monies! 

3 hours ago, dzareth said:

I'm into the 4th episode of EN2, but I'm still not feeling the "magic" of EN1. I don't know what was the budget for both seasons but EN1 does have a more luxurious feel to it. More cinematic. In EN2, so far I look forward to SS scenes probably because she is the constant between the 2 seasons. She also didn't change much in terms of wardrobe and hairstyle so I don't doubt her as SS.

EN1 introduced me to CFY. I thought he performed well as NQ. Being young and new, obviously there is a lot of room for improvement, but there was a rawness about his acting that I appreciate. Towards the end of S1, I thought CFY had the right amount of arrogance, cheekiness, coldness and frustration in his delivery of NQ's character. He was a bit awkward in his later lovey-dovey scenes with SS, but the script played a part in that because of the sudden turn of events. In fact, my other negative comments for S1 such as the NQ-SS confrontation at her parents' house is also largely due to the the production choices rather that the acting. In scenes where NQ is being defiant such as when questioning why he must choose, his harshness against LY/LQ/others was well delivered. We also had the advantage of seeing NQ from being a small time soldier in the desert, evolving into the powerful Mr 13 of the academy, so any awkwardness that CFY might had himself was transferred to the character.

In EN2, things have progressed far for NQ. He is a black horse who had overcame most expectations, he is now a successful cultivator and enjoys solid support from the academy and emperor. So whenever DW gives an awkward delivery of NQ, we can no longer transfer that to the character. DW is also viewed as the more experienced/ established actor (going into the NQ role) between the 2 actors - expectations are laid on him - so coupled with the below par production of S2 and the unsuitable voice dub, has the misfortune of being endlessly compared. It is unfair, but that is the reality. Had DW started as NQ from S1, I'd probably think that he is not a bad choice for NQ. But CFY already spoiled me...

I mean, I don't think CFY is a great new actor in his stint as NQ, compared to say... Liu Haoran (LHR is a natural). But CFY felt right.

Adding more woes to EN2 are unnecessary changes to hair and costumes. Even 1st bro's hair is different!

I'll still watch it because I'm already invested in this saga, having read the novel and all. But boy do I miss CFY's side profile....

Hear hear! Well said. 

I'm still on two, but another thing is that LQ ended EN1 as one seriously evil dude, and now he looks, well, not that menacing. It's another lost opportunity. And he's the same actor! So the production choices beyond aesthetics are also jarring. I don't know how much of the NQ awkwardness you mention is because DW is playing NQ to a degree like it's the same character he'd played before (in the one thing he'd been in. CFY had also been in just one thing before but to your point, the character gave him the room to grow into it) 

Another thing that struck me as weird is how the fight scenes are filmed. So far, that cinematic quality from EN1 is missing the most in those, maybe because that drama hired this guy to be their special effects director:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bruno_(special_effects)

I don't know if he's back for EN2, I'm going to guess no. You can almost see the ropes pulling the actors around in fight scenes. They look so unnatural. 

Jokes aside, I think give all the newcomers in EN2 a chance and the hair.

I'm no fan of anyone but I'm already pretty much invested in this and wish to see to the end as well unless it's get too unbearable. :lol:

I'm sure they will grow on some of us soon.

As for the cinematography, the storylines, the pacing, some of the fighting scenes, the scenes in between... in my own personal opinion, C drama usually seems to have a problem with all those. I don't watch a lot of c drama but so far those that I've watched, I always always have issues with that. But then, I still like what I'm seeing so I'm ok to overlook it. 

10 hours ago, Lbpg said:

They did! If I can find what I read I'll dm you it. But like I said it's all rumors, the truth is not known. But for sure all that wasn't handled well, with the timing of the announcement, too. Right after it started airing, that's a bit of a punch in the gut to the drama. Thankfully it wasn't affected

Thank you for the link.

Yeah, entertainment business can be outright shady. I dont know DW's popularity as an actor but it's funny since CFY really won everyone's heart as NQ & loved the idea of him returning for S2 so much. I'm seeing that EN1S1 also has a better production value overall so that's ironic lol. CFY dodged a bullet?! Plus, he's been in two or more production, films & tv show after he was done with ENS1 so that's good for him. He's booked/busy plus with school too. He's so diligent. Great kid. Also heard he's rumored to be a lead in an upcoming bl/wuxia drama this year. I wished he could've return for S2 because I wanted to see him grow into NQ's character but it is what it is unfortunately. I'm excited for CFY in LOTA. I heard it will air 1st quarter of the year so *fingers cross* that it will air either in March or April. I'm actually suprise ENS2 was airing now. I thought it would air way later in the year.

I just finished episode 12, and here are my thoughts:

I was definitely a BIG fan of CFY in EN1 but I also adore Dylan so it's been a mixed bag of feelings for me. I think that overall, Dylan's acting is absolutely on-point, but I just can't feel the same chemistry between NQ and SS in this season. Their relationship seems a lot more alike to siblings. There was just this way that NQ started to look at SS towards the second half of EN1 that was so deep and endearing and I don't see that same passion from Dylan - at least NOT YET. A lot can change in just a few episodes so I'm hoping that their chemistry picks up later on. 

I also agree with some others on the downgraded quality of some of the fight scenes. However considering some of the other cdramas out there of same genre - EN2 still brings a lot to the table. And we still have a LOT more fight scenes to go! 

Like everyone else here, I am very invested in the show (as I loved the novel) and hope that it does well. Definitely looking forward to Monday :)

12 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

Thank you for the link.

Yeah, entertainment business can be outright shady. I dont know DW's popularity as an actor but it's funny since CFY really won everyone's heart as NQ & loved the idea of him returning for S2 so much. I'm seeing that EN1S1 also has a better production value overall so that's ironic lol. CFY dodged a bullet?! Plus, he's been in two production, a film & tv show after he was done with ENS1 so that's good for him. He's booked/busy plus with school too. He's so diligent. Great kid. Also heard he's rumored to be a lead in an upcoming bl/wuxia drama this year. I wished he could've return for S2 because I wanted to see him grow into NQ's character but it is what it is unfortunately. I'm excited for CFY in LOTA. I heard it will air 1st quarter of the year so *fingers cross* that it will air either in March or April. I'm actually suprise ENS2 was airing now. I thought it would air way later in the year.

Oooh yes, I also cannot wait for LOTA. So far the promo pics look great! I really hope he continues to do well! 

11 minutes ago, Tyduck said:

Oooh yes, I also cannot wait for LOTA. So far the promo pics look great! I really hope he continues to do well! 

Same, he's has a very promising future. Plus hes been going to school for acting. I believed he also wrapped up filming a movie this month so kudos for him. I'm excited for LOTA too. It looks promising & I've been following/watching promo/bts vids & pictures for the show for a while now so it's nice to hear something about the air date. 

Hello. So I guess it's impossible for people not to compare S1 to s2. Still I think if one keeps comparing it then you can't enjoy s2. I'm actually enjoying s2 very much.

S2 started with a more relaxed NQ who isn't seeking revenge. It's concentrating more on NQ'S love for SS and finding a cure. So in my opinion NQ character is at a different stage of his life now. 

In my opinion Dylan is doing very well as NQ. He has the acting skills and look to play the role of NQ. Hope people can give him a chance instead of just comparing him to Arthur. Each actor has their own strength. To me Dylan transformed into NQ. 

This season is much better NingSang wise. I always felt that s1 failed to show the love between NingSang. Yes they had cute moments but I never felt the chemistry was right. Still I always rooted for them because it's NingSang my OTP.

The chemistry between YiRen and Dylan is awesome. I can feel the  deep love between the characters. I'm so happy that they have so many sweet loving scenes. I especially love the emotional scenes between them. When they found out SS's true identity I could feel their pain. They made me cry. I'm just amazed at how well they act out these scenes. The way they look at each other has me :wub:.

As an excellent actress Song YiRen is shining with her role of SS. Then again she has since s1 just that she didn't have as much scenes then. 

Super excited to continue seeing NingSang's journey together. I will definitely need tissue for upcoming scenes. 

I'll continue to cheer for s2 and it's new actors. 

Archived