[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

0ly40

It is so late where I am but just wanted to say the story ended beautifully and i think I teared up in the last 20 mins. This scene was so good.  Every single  one of them stayed on to see him finish his 60 days, because they came to trust and admire the person that he is . 

SJIt6qA.png

PMJ is indeed the best President this alternate SK universe has ever had , even if it was a seat that he was filling in temporarily. Right until the very end, even when the stakes were high ( being the leading candidate in the polls) PMJ chose to be true to himself and his values. In the words of my favourite management guru , Peter Drucker - Management is doing things right ; leadership is doing the right things. And PMJ did exactly that - the right thing. He may have been the Acting President but he was entrusted to lead this nation.  He gave up his candidacy because he felt responsible for not realising someone in his administration was complicit in the bombing,  and he wanted to ensure that Han gets his due punishment . 

So at the end of the day, Han is not the VIP but he was well aware of everything that was planned and he allowed it to happen because he was disgruntled with the citizens of this nation . Han was a true believer of the Yang administration, but became disillusioned when he realised people  did not appreciate how great Yang was and all the good that the  latter's administration sought to do for the country . In  wanting to rebuild this nation , he sacrificed Yang . How twisted is that . But from Tae Ik's ( or rather Lee something) call to someone in Japanese , ( hmm I wonder if they were trying to hint at current political sentiments with regards to the strained Japanese - Korean relations) we know that the VIP is still out there , and I think the drama is leaving this for S2.

So will there be a Season 2... I think Cha has already answered the question with his question ...:blush: ...

6urOFnZ.png

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, triplem said:

PMJ is indeed the best President this alternate SK universe has ever had , even if it was a seat that he was filling in temporarily. Right until the very end, even when the stakes were high ( being the leading candidate in the polls) PMJ chose to be true to himself and his values

He indeed did that. That's how he won over everyone. He was a man who wanted to excel but not at the cost of others. This is the reason Sec Han decided to give a last try. And literally tears fell during his speech and after that when he said to Sec Cha that even if he give up on his position he wont renounce his decision. And Sec Cha just won me over again by his reply that he is there to protect him, his views as well as his beliefs. Just like Sec Han chose President Yang, he chose PMJ. From a person who just wanted to win, he grew to a person who wanted to win morally. And I was so happy to see the BH team supporting PMJ till the end.

By the way who became the next president? Doesn't matter if it is not PMJ.;)

Edit: Atleast he sat on that president's seat once. I think he wanted to confirm his thoughts that even after sitting there will his views change or not. 

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자
5 hours ago, triplem said:

PMJ is indeed the best President this alternate SK universe has ever had , even if it was a seat that he was filling in temporarily. Right until the very end, even when the stakes were high ( being the leading candidate in the polls) PMJ chose to be true to himself and his values. In the words of my favourite management guru , Peter Drucker - Management is doing things right ; leadership is doing the right things. And PMJ did exactly that - the right thing. He may have been the Acting President but he was entrusted to lead this nation.  He gave up his candidacy because he felt responsible for not realising someone in his administration was complicit in the bombing,  and he wanted to ensure that Han gets his due punishment . 

Indeed. I liken his style of politics “crisis politics”.  It’s nice to know that in times of crisis, objectivity and just plain decency can be just the ticket to shed light in dark times and steady the rocking ship.  It throws open the debate as to whether decent folk have a place in politics.  And even if their stint in there is short, it may be impactful and it gives hope to jaded individuals that sometimes even Hobbits have a place in dangerous Mordor.  I am glad he gets to go back to his family and “regroup”.  It’s been a harrowing 60 days for everyone involved.

JJH is like PMJ in real life to a certain degree.  He is fiercely protective of his family.  He keeps them out of the limelight (he doesn’t show pics of them on varieties etc).  A quiet reflective man.  Adores his Wife and kids.  No wonder this role spoke to him and he said yes on the spot. :)

EDIT - I really love how they portrayed his family.  So “normal” with the sibling bickering and the mom putting a stop to it.  She was brilliant as his Wife.  No yelling, no wallowing in self pity (even when he forgot their anniversary  :lol:... and he was scurrying to make it up to her :wub: when she broke it to him).  Their relationship is just so adult I love it!  She understood him even when he didn’t expressly say what was on his mind.  I loved how she said she would be by his side even when the public stops applauding.  And I really liked the epilogue.  It was a lovely “warm down” after a hectic 15+ episodes at full speed gallop with little time to catch breath.  

Greetings, I've been lurking in this thread reading all the high quality analyses for awhile :ph34r:

The ending showed a great deal of wisdom and was absolutely true to the character of PMJ. I saw a couple LotR references above - so apt. That theme of knowing to fear power, having the will and courage to reject it, really shone through.

Certain little details I loved - PMJ telling the press (and his loyal secretaries) that Korea would not become a paradise overnight. This was so important because his staff were confusing principle with idealism. That video they prepared was inspiring but laden with potential false promises. In some ways it was as much an illusion as the VIP's construction of OYS. I really applaud the writer(s) for including that. 

Also realise why the cast nicknamed themselves the Blue House Avengers! Those scenes at the end... 

Spoiler

with Sec Cha 'putting together the team'... Or more correctly, assembling and reconstituting the team

... were just gold. 

Can I also give a shout out to Security Team Leader Kang and guy - in - the - chair cyber guy Ji Won? They were easily the MVPs in the Intel space and capturing the bad guys! (While I have a soft spot for Agent Han NG and Agent Hanmo, they really dropped the ball many times and committed errors of judgment, sometimes the same errors over and over :sweatingbullets:  Oh well, plot devices... ) 

Bravo the writer(s) for giving the 'villains' appropriate motivation and allowing us to understand their path to shadow. I appreciated the flashback to critical moments where OYS shared his deep disillusionment with PMJ, and later his we saw another sequence of flashbacks with the Blue House mole. This really showed the contrast between PMJ's strength of character and others. Like many in this forum I was worried about the big reveal too. The two pivotal characters (the VIP and the mole) in the end were not surprising, but that was fine because it was a compelling and logical conclusion. 

How will we get over this show, sigh :tears:

6 hours ago, pompyavi said:

the way who became the next president? Doesn't matter if it is not PMJ.

Yeah , when the show decided not to say who won, the writer made it clear that it didn’t matter.  Because  for him/ her this person is just the “seat warmer” for the era of PMJ . ;) I personally want a S2 where we can see the good guy win. 

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

Their relationship is just so adult I love it!  She understood him even when he didn’t expressly say what was on his mind.  I loved how she said she would be by his side even when the public stops applauding.  And I really liked the epilogue.  It was a lovely “warm down” after a hectic 15+ episodes at full speed gallop with little time to catch breath.  

I love it too!  I was so touched when  she said he always made the best decisions , that even when there was no answer/ solution, he will find one . Wahhhh , that’s the best sort of compliment &  confidence anyone can give their spouse . 

———-

The drama outdid itself ending on a high of over 6% , surpassing all other dramas last night . 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, AC95 said:

Bravo the writer(s) for giving the 'villains' appropriate motivation and allowing us to understand their path to shadow. I appreciated the flashback to critical moments where OYS shared his deep disillusionment with PMJ, and later his we saw another sequence of flashbacks with the Blue House mole. This really showed the contrast between PMJ's strength of character and others. Like many in this forum I was worried about the big reveal too. The two pivotal characters (the VIP and the mole) in the end were not surprising, but that was fine because it was a compelling and logical conclusion. 

Yes I really liked the open ending for once.  It was logical.  It would’ve been crass and glib to give us a rosy happy ever after because the reality would not be the case.  Terror will always be about.  There will always be other “VIPs” to fight.  The battle is never over.  But the fight is worth it.  I liked that it ended hopefully but with the necessary realism to ground it.  And yes to Cha recruiting Team Avengers. :lol:

EDIT - No prizes for guessing who’s Captain America in that lot :lol:

EDIT2 - I just realized Yun’s Advisor wasn’t named as part of the cell?  :lol:.  Or did I miss it?

So I echo Samwise Gamgee :)

Spoiler

It's like the great stories, Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad has happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines, it'll shine out the clearer. I know now folks in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something. That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

They wrap it up pretty nicely so i guess it was a nice ending. PMJ may or may not run for president in the next election that is left to the next season if there will ever be one and i'm in if  they maintain the same cast.

There was a minor disappointment in the way they handled Tailor Kim. Apparently they didn't learn their lesson from the previous case with MHJ. I suppose the writers needed to wrap that part up but it made the NIS look stupid. 

Well it has been a nice ride on this show. It may take a while to get it off my system. 

What an apt (like someone said earlier) and emotional finale to what started off as a "political" drama. It's one of the best concluding act I have ever seen in a Korean drama (I have been a follower for almost 20 years, I was also one of the earlier soompi members (circa 1999) but have stopped posting anything since 2013).

It was never a political drama to begin with, it was always about the growth of Park Mu Jin, from the timid and socially inept Minister, who rose in adverse circumstances by having to wade through all the complexities and "evil" of politics to become the leader of the nation. It was also about the people who made him "the President", his adversaries, his so called enemies and more than anything, his aides and staff of whom he had gradually inspired trust and confidence upon.  It was - about that human connection between him and everyone who had initially doubted him. Park Mu Jin, he was always the core.

About halfway through the drama, I realised I never really cared truly about who the VIP was. There were elements that were quite far fetched, and some things really just required suspension of belief (like some have pointed out in detail re NIS protocol). However as the episodes progressed, I really felt that the writer's intention was far deeper and intricate than the plot devices itself. The writer managed to weave a lot of humanistic and realistic elements into what could have been just a political thriller, making us feel for every single character, no matter good or bad. We didn't need to agree what was done, but we needed to know why. And that the drama managed to do that with such subtle brilliance, that didn't make anyone of us go WTF, that's it?  The drama had so much at stake, but it really took time and effort to make sure that each of its characters got the respect it deserved. It's so much more impactful than giving us who the real villain was, and then bam, that's it.

The finale's high rating was very well deserved. It didn't live up to my expectations, it blew everything away and created something new. A light of hope that may be too idealistic in the real world, that politics that, may be one day, led by a good person.

Thanks all for the insights and outputs so far. It has been a great ride with ya all!

(I have been quiet lurker hehe)

I'm kinda overwhelmed with the comment section on that post on  Instagram.

-------------------

On another note , I loved that scene  when his wife gifted him the watch and him scramble after his wife!

------------------

I hope everyone sees this photo !!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this like Avengers Assemble!!:glasses:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECeGEsjU0AAdBUk?format=jpg&name=small

1 hour ago, angelbeast90 said:

On another note , I loved that scene  when his wife gifted him the watch and him scramble after his wife!

I thought that was such a sweet moment. And most wives would have been annoyed that their husbands have forgotten their anniversary , but she was so cool about it cause she knew how much was at stake that day for PMJ and understood his mind would have been preoccupied....

I feel so sad to say goodbye. While I started this drama primarily for LJH ( and wished he had more screen time) and to an extent JJH,  I came to love the rest of the cast especially oppa on the rise SSK. Will look forward to their future works. Final BTS

Edit to add- Someone ask the possibility of S2 , SSK said we’ll see. :D

The finale left a few threads hanging, itching to be tied up in season 2?  Specifically, the true puppet master remains at large with his/her assassin returning to Japan. 

If PMJ does say yes to Cha's third request (reminiscent of the story in romance of 3 kingdoms where Liu Bei had to beg Zhuge Liang 3 times to get the wise man to join his cause), the title will no longer make sense for S2, because he has served out his role as the titular "Designated Survivor". So maybe a spin-off instead?

Nevertheless, the finale was a balanced conclusion to a great story. It left a sweet aftertaste of a sincere and faithful PMJ presidency whilst leaving the possibility for more if all parties (actors, writers, TVN) are willing, i.e. a satisfying cliffhanger, as much of an oxymoron as it sounds. 

The PMJ presidency was a breath of fresh air in Kdrama land and in the real world (at least from where I am standing), even if it was scripted. It was cathartic to see a good man doing the right things in the right way. Truly, thank you, Acting President Park Mu Jin.   

15 minutes ago, yoondonggu said:

The finale left a few threads hanging, itching to be tied up in season 2?  Specifically, the true puppet master remains at large with his/her assassin returning to Japan. 

Yeah and the Advisor of Yun wasn’t caught either?  I think the fact that they left a lot hanging was aided by the fact that it was an open ending (and it felt “concluded” even if it wasn’t). Sec Han was never properly dealt with (just led away) and OYS was not either.  Needless to say it was also strange that TaeIk (Not) escaped when he would’ve been nabbed surely by Immigration and facial recognition at the airport?  But never mind.  I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.  The team was stellar.  It was a very satisfying 16+hours spent.  Thank you all here for making it all the more interesting :)

so the v.i.p was never show. I kind of thought that but still.. 

This is one of best dramas this year that I have watched.

Good ending. 

This could have a second season.  but if not I'm almost satisfied how this ended. 

thank you for all the insights :D

It was a most satisfying drama series with an open ending that left a wide smile on my face and happiness in my heart. I love the growth of Park Mu Jin within the short 60 days in the Blue House. I love the cast, especially the Avengers 4, and PMJ's family. Husband and wife's interactions were so natural and PMJ was indeed so lucky with such a supportive, cool, understanding wife. There were many tensed and intense moments, heartbreaking moments and some light-hearted moments. I was always waiting to see what would Ag President decide in this case. Do the right things - yes! If I were in the BH, I would also support and serve such a principled and good person. 

A big thank you to friends in this thread for the many interesting comments and analyses that make watching this series even more fulfilling. Cheers!

Actually, PMJ didn't accept the offer from Standford because deep down, he had this wish to become a politician. When he accepted the proposition of CYJ to run for the presidential candidacy, his reason was that he needed to stop OYS, yet he never wanted to get this position. Yet, as time passed on, he changed his mind. First, he expressed that for the first time he wanted to have power so that he could pass this Antidiscrimination act. Just before resigning, he had become a real politician who wanted to get elected but due to the revelation, he chose to reveal everything. That's why it was important that his ex-colleagues (the 4 avengers) decided to meet him and asked him if he wanted to run for the next presidential election. Once he got to hear that he still had supporters, his smile in the end gives us the answer: yes... this time he will do it. He was just waiting for a signal.

A great ending ... I would like to have a second season. It is not just that the identity of the VIP has not been revealed, it would be interesting to see him struggle again, how he deals with foreign representatives (see the comparison with the US delegation for FTA).

Yes.:D I would like to see him get elected and  meet that same FTA delegation and that delegate will be like "Not you again! I need to resign and report back to Washington!" lol. Anyways I feel there is a lot of source material to do a second season and I hope they have favorable conditions to do this. No need to rush it though.

@nrllee Also maybe "not Taeik" may have already fled the country coz there is a mole in the airport too! But when you think about it there are so many threads to unravel.

Also I was internally saying "Hanmo get in the ambulance!"  but then he might get hammered in the head too before they revive Tailor Kim!

Archived