Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

And yes, why should Ahn Nae Sang dye his hair? No matter what kind of scoundrel Mayor Kang, I can't dislike him that much because of ANS, who plays him with a slightly theatrical flair. I've been a fan of ANS for a while now and he's one of those talented character actors that can do anything.

Hear, hear!  He’s brilliant.  Love every character he’s done.  Off topic so in spoiler 

Spoiler

Most recently Light In Your Eyes.  Bawled my eyes out almost every episode - so cathartic  :lol:.   If you haven’t seen it I highly recommend it.  It’s a beautiful tender watch.  

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I loved this simple scene where his wife knew that he will be running for presidency. She never argued back with no you should not run for presidency. All she was worried was about his emotional well being.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Actually, OYS revealed his weakness during this episode. He relies on no one, even the Chief of Defense who belongs to the organization was treated like trash by OYS. He even rejects CYJ as he views him as someone insignificant. He believes that he did great all this time, however his decisions were made based on money. He didn't close the market in order to help a certain group to buy another company. Only the rich people from that organization could benefit from it. Then the expansion of the naval base was only possible because he had the backing of someone rich: the inhabitants from that island were offered a huge compensation. Furthermore, the social media were manipulated. Everything was organized hence he shows no greatness... His successes are just the results of manipulation. 

OYS is displaying his arrogance which i believe will be his downfall. I wonder if expanding the naval base was a plan/order by the VIP.  As we can already see OYS is not the kind of person who take orders. As @40somethingahjumma said OYS is only succeeding because he has a powerful backer. I'd like to think that he will be abandoned if he gets too way over his head. 

About the leak on Sec Cha, we know it was OYS who had someone leaked that to the press. OYS was talking to someone and the camera zoomed in on his shoe. In another scene we saw Mayor Kang was tipping some reporters on Sec Cha. I guess the reason he's doing that is because his trying every means to tip the scales in his favor because of his current low rating but where did he get that info from?

• Like 12

Yay!,  Sec Cha is innocent...and Yay, for President Park for annoucing his candadicy. We all expect this, otherwise there wouldnt be any drama... hehe

Oh my, Kim Dan, in this drama is the reporter.. when he said his name, i nearly choked... (aigooo, the other angel Kim Dan might cough too, haha)... :)

Well, Sec Han is still not out of the woods as the prime suspect.... so we shall seee..

YAY also for Sec Jeong and Sec Cha who eventually will have that beer date... Sooooonnnnnn....:)

• Like 10

On 8/6/2019 at 5:06 PM, sn2111a said:

Maybe they didnt physically rescue him? since both tae ik and the other guy were no longer around, so maybe they called the mother? but then again, we also didnt see if they got to the place where they hid the kid ;;; i hope they dont leave this untouched man   

OK good, I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering what happened to the little boy who was kidnapped. He needed his medication, IIRC. I hope they don't leave this as a plot hole. 

For anyone who would like some additional insight into the economic issues (stock market crashing, panic, etc.) you might want to watch the Kmovie from last year "Sovereign Default" with Yoo Ah In.

PM me for link to Eng sub movie as I don't want to run afoul of the Soompi rules!

In the movie, YAI's character figures out that the US (with the help of the IMF) is going to manipulate the overleveraged (think: borrowed too much money) financial markets and figures out how to profit from it. The few clients he has that believe him reap a windfall--just like OYS's comrade who made money off the panic in this series. If you don't wanna spend 2 hours watching the movie, you can read my review here. I try to explain some of the economic issues, but since I am no econ major and possess a Pea-Sized brain (LOL) it is very simplistic.

• Like 11

@nrllee @triplem @imgreatgal @thistle

I have the impression that OYS was mentioning the VIP, when he showed his disdain for the general, member of the NSC. OYS said that someone had told him this: "Authority gives you the power to not take orders from the person you loathe". These words are revealing a lot about the person.

1. It is someone who knows how the administration and authorities work
  2. Someone who has been working for a politician because his words showed resent ("person you loathe")

Furthermore I noticed another huge difference between PMJ and OYS. While the latter oozes arrogance and trusts his abilities too much (he doesn't rely on anyone), the Acting president is the exact opposite. He doesn't trust himself much hence he prefers relying on facts and data. This is more than just humbleness, PMJ likes to get different opinions and have the full picture of the problem before making a decision. OYS rushed his decisions as he knew what he had to do... he actually just followed the order from the VIP which is quite ironic. You can see the contradiction: on the one hand, he wants to become the president so that he will no longer receive any order but in reality, he is still obeying orders. That's why the confrontation between the VIP and OYS is inevitable as once the latter is president, he will refuse to follow the VIP's orders.   

• Like 8
  • Insightful 7

I don't know if its related or even have correlation at all, but reading everyone interpretation and comments somehow I remember the Lee Seung Gi drama "The king 2 Hearts"

the bad guy described himself as a VIP, untouchable... yet he has hands on everything including ruling the current government. In King 2 Hearts it was the president secretary who turns out to be the mole of every caused happen to the imperial family. So in DS there must be someone act as a mole too and he/she is very close to PMJ.

So in this Designated Survivor... I can't help but suspect everyone...  the VIP and the tailor .... who are they? how come a tailor very fluent in politics... he looks like a king maker not a tailor. 

• Like 13
  • Insightful 1

The way I see it, OYS used KSK in order to leak the info about CYJ's situation. Remember that in the episode, KSK visited Yun and said to the journalists that it was important to show harmony among the candidates for the elections. So this revealed that KSK wanted to use Yun's popularity for his own campaign and to become her ally so that in case of her victory, she might give him a position. In a way, KSK is well aware that he needs the support from another candidate in order to get rid of his biggest threads. He definitely shows a lust for power. KSK thought first that Yun was a better "ally" until OYS's move (the Gasan island naval base) appeared to be successful.

The problem is that KSK has the lowest ratings among the candidates hence he had already anticipated that PMJ would run for the presidential election. By leaking info about CYJ, KSK's goal was first to stop PMJ from running the election and thus to destroy the relationship between CYJ and PMJ. KSK thought that CYJ would try to defend his reputation and his career so that PMJ's move (suspecting CYJ) would have been criticized. On the other hand, PMJ wouldn't have been able to run for presidency due to this effect. However, the problem was that CYJ decided to resign instead of defending his honor so that PMJ had still the possibility to announce his candidacy. 

Don't forget, the VIP and OYS value honor, career and reputation the most hence they never imagined that CYJ would make such a sacrifice. 

As conclusion, I have the impression that Yun will become PMJ's ally as she realizes that OYS represents a real danger to democracy. Han revealed his desdain for Yun as he described her as someone whose only goal was to disturb the president and the administration which is quite similar to OYS's atttitude. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 6

So this explained the arcade pic on Son's IG

2 hours ago, sn2111a said:

Naseong chemicals/electronics was mentioned again... is there really a connection? Seems like the old ceo guy might be the ceo to naseong?? 

(could this be paralleling the family conglomerates corruption prob irl??)

Spoiler

A conglomerate could be involved as the American version mastermind is a CEO of a huge corporation.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, sn2111a said:

Naseong chemicals/electronics was mentioned again... is there really a connection? Seems like the old ceo guy might be the ceo to naseong?? 

Now that's a really intriguing idea. So Naseong chemicals might funded the bombing and they want another government who is sympathetic to them. That old man ( who got his measurements measure by the Tailor guy),said PMJ gets on his nerves , maybe he knows him somehow from when PMJ's wife went to court with the case against them. Maybe old man has seen PMJ giving testimony in court!

• Like 9
  • Insightful 3

6 hours ago, sn2111a said:

Good catch!! Completely missed that point altogether about the links with PMJ’s wife going to court and how they met as a result.  Yes I think that idea about some big corporation bankrolling the terrorist cell was tossed around in previous posts.  :)

• Like 11
  • Insightful 1

Actually, there are two designated survivors: PMJ and OYS. The latter was supposed to survive the bombing so that he would become a hero. Furthermore he was chosen by the VIP to be the next president for his own interests. Our Acting president PMJ was also supposed to survive... because they thought, he would become a puppetas Acting president. Remember that Han was the one who sent him to the FTA negotiations in order to come to an agreement with the US delegation. In my opinion, they expected PMJ to resign as Han knew that Yang would agree with the demands from the Americans.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 6

On 8/9/2019 at 10:21 PM, bebebisous33 said:

Actually, there are two designated survivors: PMJ and OYS. The latter was supposed to survive the bombing so that he would become a hero. Furthermore he was chosen by the VIP to be the next president for his own interests. Our Acting president PMJ was also supposed to survive... because they thought, he would become a puppetas Acting president. Remember that Han was the one who sent him to the FTA negotations in order to come to an agreement with the US delegation. In my opinion, they expected PMJ to resign as Han knew that Yang would agree with the demands from the Americans.

Actually I went back to watch that scene because most of us just overlook things in earlier episodes because we’re just trying to wrap our minds around who’s who.  And my interpretation of that scene where Yang fires PMJ changed as a result of what we know now of Sec Han.  

Yes Han sent PMJ in the negotiations to ensure it will fall flat.  He wanted to sour the US-Korea relations (if you do that, it makes it less likely for a North-South peace treaty).  When Yang and PMJ have that heated exchange about pollution and morals, and they seem to be at a stalemate, Han actually seems to make an attempt to throw his views into it to settle it by walking from the door towards the 2 of them.  Then he stops short as Yang seems to relent to PMJ’s pleas.  The camera actually pans in on Han’s face and he smiles as Yang says, “Sec Han, please contact the Korean delegation.  Tell them I will be honoring PMJ’s wishes...” (pregnant pause for effect and Han smiles) then he continues, “He will be held responsible for today’s incident...and dismissed from Office.”  Then camera pans on PMJ’s face and then Sec Han’s face both of which register shock/dismay.  I think Han expected Yang to bow to PMJ’s pleas but he didn’t?  So PMJ’s dismissal/leaving wasn’t planned by the terrorist cell.  So I doubt they wanted PMJ to survive?  They had to rejig their plans last minute because as you said, there would be 2 survivors now.  And they thought, “no problemo...PMJ is just going to maintain status quo.  He’s going to flounder and fail miserably.”  But he kept surprising them.  And became a genuine threat/contender.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 6

Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2019 at 9:49 PM, bebebisous33 said:

Furthermore I noticed another huge difference between PMJ and OYS. While the latter oozes arrogance and trusts his abilities too much (he doesn't rely on anyone), the Acting president is the exact opposite. He doesn't trust himself much hence he prefers relying on facts and data. This is more than just humbleness, PMJ likes to get different opinions and have the full picture of the problem before making a decision. OYS rushed his decisions as he knew what he had to do... he actually just followed the order from the VIP which is quite ironic. You can see the contradiction: on the one hand, he wants to become the president so that he will no longer receive any order but in reality, he is still obeying orders. That's why the confrontation between the VIP and OYS is inevitable as once the latter is president, he will refuse to follow the VIP's orders.  

PMJ , being a scientist,  is a man who depends on evidence rather than feelings and emotions in coming to a conclusion  . That’s why it was a frustration initially for him(  & for Cha)   as PMJ was not used to the idea of rushing into decisions without sufficient investigation. A man like him was not born or meant for politics - in normal situations he would have been slaughtered at the campaigning stage simply because he is not the sort to play up and take advantage of people’s sentiments for the sake of gaining votes . But it’s this very quality of his that makes me root for him as the presidential candidate- this is the sort of leader this  country needs to help them reset . IRL , it might be difficult to find a leader like that who is as selfless & people centric as he is , but this is an alternate universe of “post apocalyptic “ SK and like Cha says - for once , let’s have the good man win. 

One of my favourite things in this show is the growth in that relationship between Cha & PMJ . Cocksure & politically savvy , Cha must have been stressed by PMJ’s decisions which felt almost   like political suicide in the early episodes. But Cha was quick to see the heart of PMJ. This is an uncorrupted man , who would rather do the right things  as opposed to just doing things right . It was not by personal choice of course that PMJ filled in for the hot seat , so his decisions have always been based on what was best for the people ; after all he had no political ambitions & had the mindset of a seat warmer . As the episodes progressed, we saw him growing in his role - and realising that doing things right & doing the right things need not be mutually exclusive. He came to appreciate Cha’s shrewdness & hence chose him over Jeong to be his Chief Secretary. He knew that if he had to implement things that would help the country recover , he will need to get people on board - yes winning their sentiments. This is something which King-maker Cha is best at . That’s why I was practically in tears seeing PMJ’s announcement & Cha’s expression at the end of the last eps . I can’t wait to see how they will win this campaign together. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 3