Quantcast
Jump to content
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, angelbeast90 said:

I'm waiting for Agent Han to start reporting to President Park. The story needs to converge at some point. I feel it will take the drama to it's high point. Right now it seems the President is not yet aware of the NIS findings. I feel normally you have to write a summary report on a daily basis to your higher ups.

That's why i said in my earlier post. The NIS (Agent Han and her team leader) are working in silo. And their boss seems not being invited to discuss with the president regarding the security issue. SHouldn't it be that there is a representative from NIS, Police, together with the military to discuss on this kind of matter? I am not sure how the security enforcement in South Korea works in time of emergency but to me that's a bit unusual when NIS was not in the picture. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Episode 6

I'd need a lot more than a bomb shelter in the basement to say with any degree of certainty that OYS is part of the bombing incident -- as mastermind or co-conspirator. It is suspicious... no arguments about that and must be investigated... but I still have doubts. And why is someone tipping off Agent Han about blueprints and bomb shelters? What is their motive? What's in it for them to leave her a trail of bread crumbs to follow? I'm quite willing to believe that there are people in various branches of the public service involved in the event because they think it an act of patriotism. Principled men and women who have come together to act decisively. My guess is that it's related to N. Korea even if the N. Korean leadership did not sanction the actual bombing. 

 

I continue to be somewhat suspicious of YCK... because of all her talk of revolution and change has that sort of contemptuous slant to it. There may be nothing more to it than a kind of political hubris and an overdeveloped sense of self-righteousness but she shouldn't be disregarded as a possible suspect.

 

PMJ continues to suffer growing pains. While he's learning to adapt to the needs of the role mostly out of necessity, he finds himself at odds with his hitherto unchallenged conscience. No amount of training can prepare him for the enormousness of the task before him. He wants to do good... to do what is right and yet is ill-prepared for the consequences. The death of the team operations leader strikes at the very heart of his dilemma. There are no solutions... only trade-offs. Still I'm not without sympathy for PMJ because these weighty life and death issues have been thrust on him and ironically it's because of his innate goodness that he's in the position that he's in. 

Over and over again, we're reminded that he's certainly not anyone's first choice for the Blue House. OYS makes that cryptic comment to his tailor. The Netflix subber translates it as "It's someone who is not Blue House material". I looked up the C-subs for that line out of curiosity and to get a sense of OYS' attitude real attitude towards PMJ. It seems that it could be translated in a number of ways... "It's someone who isn't suited/suitable for the Blue House." would be the obvious and simplest translation.

Was it a comment made out of contempt? Or a mere observation? Or does he pity him? Those questions continue to linger in my mind.

 

The obvious thing to say about OYS is that he is hard to read. My take on him at this stage is that he's almost the complete opposite of PMJ. I can see why early character descriptions called him PMJ's rival. He's cool, calm and politically savvy. Not surprising considering his background as a highly decorated military officer. He's a natural fit for political life and even the Blue House in a way PMJ mightn't be. I'm sure he thinks that PMJ is completely out of his depth but probably only because he's a decent human being.

 If he's behind the bombing, it would be because he thinks it's his patriotic duty to change things and shake things up because the people who ran things were hopeless.

 

At this stage it's hard for me to see that Sec Han is part of any conspiracy in the bombing. He seems so attached to the late President Yang. I think if we get a sense of why the plot was hatched, we might get a better sense of who was involved.

 

8 hours ago, nrllee said:

  

@40somethingahjumma I think when the American version aired there were critics who thought like you did (I read some reviews).  Honest men just don’t belong in politics.  It was too ludicrous a concept to accept.  And on that premise they decided that it was too hard to suspend their belief and watch with full hearted enthusiasm.  So you’re not alone in your thoughts. :)  Anyway I am with you with Oh being too convenient a scapegoat to pin the whole plotting to.  He may be a pawn but I feel like someone else is the mastermind?  Someone else who is capable of moving all the chess pieces (including PMJ).  

 

It isn't that I believe honest people should not be in politics. ;) I would love for more people of integrity to be in politics actually. What I want is for honest people to be smart when in politics. Goodness should not be a substitute for intelligence and vice versa. They're not diametrically opposed. There are good people in politics even today but I've seen good people in politics get white-anted by their own party, fall victim to media bias and hostility and be outclassed by their opponents. It's depressing. Make no mistake, the mainstream media is quite tribal these days and they choose who they scrutinize and give a pass to so the public doesn't always get an accurate picture of what's on offer.

The problem though is not with honest people per se but that politics seems to attract particular kinds of individuals. Plus the fact that people are corruptible especially when they've had a taste of power.

 

I like PMJ as a man. He seems to be a great father and husband... and that scores big with me. And I believe he's intelligent enough to make a decent go of it at being the president, given the chance. But he has to learn fast that not everyone thinks the way he does. Game theory anyone? I also understand that he wants to hold on to his ideals and not compromise his moral compass. There is no reason he has to. The thing though is that his moral universe is being mugged by the reality of what it means to be the leader of a nation. He did everything he could to avoid direct confrontation and to contain whatever violence was necessary in the Cambodian affair through diplomacy but at the end of the day, he can't control everything especially on the ground. Like the missions leader said -- the chance of success was 50-50. The mission was as far as the primary objective was concerned... a success but there was a casualty. He was grief stricken and that shows his fundamental decency but soldiers know that there's always a chance that they don't make it home. 

 

I have to say JJH is doing a good job with the role and he does better with each new crisis.

  • Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It isn't that I believe honest people should not be in politics. ;) I would love for more people of integrity to be in politics actually. What I want is for honest people to be smart when in politics. Goodness should not be a substitute for intelligence and vice versa. They're not diametrically opposed. There are good people in politics even today but I've seen good people in politics get white-anted by their own party, fall victim to media bias and hostility and be outclassed by their opponents. It's depressing

 

Yeah I agree wholeheartedly.  I struggle with what is the ideal Vs what the reality is. Do we keep pushing for the ideal knowing these very people are more than likely going to get crushed by their entry into the arena?  It does beg the question though, what would you say in his position on national TV?  No comment? Let’s go to an ad break whilst I convene with my advisors?  It’s hard not to get all bitter about the process and just resign ourselves to the reality and to tell people like PMJ that he is better served staying in academia and making a difference to humanity there.  That people like him lack the nuance and versatility to spin or be agile enough to dodge bullets.  Perhaps these people of integrity (straight shooters like PMJ) function as beacons of what can be. That whilst their time in the sun may have been short, it was worthwhile if only to shed light on the dark side of politics.  I think had PMJ been any less honest, he would not have caused the stir that he has.  He is meant to make us squirm.  I like that he keeps his humanity rather than rationalize it away like more seasoned politicians would.  A soldier’s loss of life is not somehow expediently tucked away as a glorified sacrifice.  Personally I do feel (as you do) that he does need to learn how to deal with his emotions better if he wants to do this long term.  Just like doctors.  If they were to implode every time a patient dies on their watch they’d be a wreck and of little use in the field.  He needs to believe that whilst he can’t win all the battles, he can win the ones that matter.  That he can make a difference.  That basic human decency counts for something.   That weeping with the family when a patient dies on your operating table doesn’t make you any less professional, it keeps you real. 

  • Like 10
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, nrllee said:

 

This was the scene from Ep5 when Sec Han was watching PMJ on TV when reporter cornered him with the question about his dismissal.  I thought the person in the pic with Sec Han was a woman but it may be a man?  It was just very odd for the camera to pan in to focus on it.  The person is obviously sick (with a drip and in a wheelchair).  Only lasted a couple of seconds but it was deliberate.  There’s a story there.  My money is on him (Sec Han) too being the mastermind.

That's his son 

Spoiler

It's written in his character profile. 

That son is already dead. Han spent his time on helping late president's political career even when the son died. He didn't even let the late president know because it will distract the late president. 

 

Edited by triplem
Pls don’t quote images . Thanks
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Episode 6 just broke me!:bawling:  The torment and sadness in the President's face when he heard Major Yang died was so heartbreaking that I ended up crying.  Excellent acting JJH!  I haven't seen the US version and I'm not going to until this drama ends so I don't compare the two,.  I do really like Keifer Sutherland though.  I haven't read all the posts, but is the consensus that the President's wife had an affair?  I really hope not.  That would crush PMJ.  

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 6:11 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Episode 6

I'd need a lot more than a bomb shelter in the basement to say with any degree of certainty that OYS is part of the bombing incident -- as mastermind or co-conspirator. It is suspicious... no arguments about that and must be investigated... but I still have doubts. And why is someone tipping off Agent Han about blueprints and bomb shelters? What is their motive? What's in it for them to leave her a trail of bread crumbs to follow? I'm quite willing to believe that there are people in various branches of the public service involved in the event because they think it an act of patriotism. Principled men and women who have come together to act decisively. My guess is that it's related to N. Korea even if the N. Korean leadership did not sanction the actual bombing. 

 

I continue to be somewhat suspicious of YCK... because of all her talk of revolution and change has that sort of contemptuous slant to it. There may be nothing more to it than a kind of political hubris and an overdeveloped sense of self-righteousness but she shouldn't be disregarded as a possible suspect.

 

PMJ continues to suffer growing pains. While he's learning to adapt to the needs of the role mostly out of necessity, he finds himself at odds with his hitherto unchallenged conscience. No amount of training can prepare him for the enormousness of the task before him. He wants to do good... to do what is right and yet is ill-prepared for the consequences. The death of the team operations leader strikes at the very heart of his dilemma. There are no solutions... only trade-offs. Still I'm not without sympathy for PMJ because these weighty life and death issues have been thrust on him and ironically it's because of his innate goodness that he's in the position that he's in. 

Over and over again, we're reminded that he's certainly not anyone's first choice for the Blue House. OYS makes that cryptic comment to his tailor. The Netflix subber translates it as "It's someone who is not Blue House material". I looked up the C-subs for that line out of curiosity and to get a sense of OYS' attitude real attitude towards PMJ. It seems that it could be translated in a number of ways... "It's someone who isn't suited/suitable for the Blue House." would be the obvious and simplest translation.

Was it a comment made out of contempt? Or a mere observation? Or does he pity him? Those questions continue to linger in my mind.

 

The obvious thing to say about OYS is that he is hard to read. My take on him at this stage is that he's almost the complete opposite of PMJ. I can see why early character descriptions called him PMJ's rival. He's cool, calm and politically savvy. Not surprising considering his background as a highly decorated military officer. He's a natural fit for political life and even the Blue House in a way PMJ mightn't be. I'm sure he thinks that PMJ is completely out of his depth but probably only because he's a decent human being.

 If he's behind the bombing, it would be because he thinks it's his patriotic duty to change things and shake things up because the people who ran things were hopeless.

 

At this stage it's hard for me to see that Sec Han is part of any conspiracy in the bombing. He seems so attached to the late President Yang. I think if we get a sense of why the plot was hatched, we might get a better sense of who was involved.

 

 

It isn't that I believe honest people should not be in politics. ;) I would love for more people of integrity to be in politics actually. What I want is for honest people to be smart when in politics. Goodness should not be a substitute for intelligence and vice versa. They're not diametrically opposed. There are good people in politics even today but I've seen good people in politics get white-anted by their own party, fall victim to media bias and hostility and be outclassed by their opponents. It's depressing. Make no mistake, the mainstream media is quite tribal these days and they choose who they scrutinize and give a pass to so the public doesn't always get an accurate picture of what's on offer.

The problem though is not with honest people per se but that politics seems to attract particular kinds of individuals. Plus the fact that people are corruptible especially when they've had a taste of power.

 

I like PMJ as a man. He seems to be a great father and husband... and that scores big with me. And.  I believe he's intelligent enough to make a decent go of it at being the president, given the chance. But he has to learn fast that not everyone thinks the way he does. Game theory anyone? I also understand that he wants to hold on to his ideals and not compromise his moral compass. There is no reason he has to. The thing though is that his moral universe is being mugged by the reality of what it means to be the leader of a nation. He did everything he could to avoid direct confrontation and to contain whatever violence was necessary in the Cambodian affair through diplomacy but at the end of the day, he can't control everything especially on the ground. Like the missions leader said -- the chance of success was 50-50. The mission was as far as the primary objective was concerned... a success but there was a casualty. He was grief stricken and that shows his fundamental decency but soldiers know that there's always a chance that they don't make it home. 

 

I have to say JJH is doing a good job with the role and he does better with each new crisis.

JJH is great. The fact that he could convey his tension and made the audience squirm in their seats in EP6 is a testament to his acting. 

 

For OYS - I agree with you that he is very political savvy. He knew that his political ambitions could be further more if he does not ally with any one of the major parties or PMJ.  However I feel that he is a bit too arrogant behind his words. Secretary Cha may be arrogant too but he does not underestimate PMJ. And that might be his downfall if he is part of the gang that is behind the bombing.

 

Btw there is a chrome add in for netflix, and I can copy the said text out later on OYS statement.

 

1 hour ago, CarolynH said:

Episode 6 just broke me!:bawling:  The torment and sadness in the President's face when he heard Major Yang died was so heartbreaking that I ended up crying.  Excellent acting JJH!  I haven't seen the US version and I'm not going to until this drama ends so I don't compare the two,.  I do really like Keifer Sutherland though.  I haven't read all the posts, but is the consensus that the President's wife had an affair?  I really hope not.  That would crush PMJ.  

 

Dont think its an affair? If its an affair there wont be a formal pic like that. That's like a formal pic taken by a professional photographer. PMJ wife might be divorced during or shortly after her pregnancy before she met PMJ.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jenappelle said:

@40somethingahjumma May I know which EP and timeslot was that convo? Want to look at it myself.

 

Do you mean OYS' conversation with the tailor? Episode 6. About 42 minutes in.

 

Is OYS being arrogant? Could be. But he's not wrong. ;)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TvN updates .

my favourite discovery in this drama :love:

Spoiler

 

Of course I still love mr shady :mrgreen:

His agency posted some stills on naver 

Spoiler

 

TvN summarised the show . 

 

  • Like 5
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

 

Do you mean OYS' conversation with the tailor? Episode 6. About 42 minutes in.

 

Is OYS being arrogant? Could be. But he's not wrong. ;)

 

Hey, just got the hangul in. Its "‎청와대가 ‎어울리지 않는 사람" , it looks like it should be translated to people unsuitable/unmatchable for Blue House but I am no expert, just guessing some of the meaning using Papago dic

 

For OYS, Hmm I am more referring to too much arrogance will be anyone's downfall rather than whether than the statement is true.

 

@triplem I love Sec Cha!  He is so cool and hot too! and I wished I knew more Korean to understand how foul mouthed he is. There is one friend of mine mentioning that translating to a non/lesser honorific language will lose part of what the dialogues is trying to convey. And LOL at TVN calling him "Chemie Fairy". 

 

And also it seems like the Blue House aides gets along really well with each other, with Sec Jeong's actress filming both of them 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jenappelle said:

Dont think its an affair? If its an affair there wont be a formal pic like that. That's like a formal pic taken by a professional photographer. PMJ wife might be divorced during or shortly after her pregnancy before she met PMJ.

 

Yeah that’s my thinking too.  No affair...even though that was where my mind jumped to when I saw that photo.  And I guess that would be what SiWan may have thought too... or maybe more down the line that he wasn’t PMJ’s biological son.  Probably why he asked his dad that question about him never having lied to him.

 

And yes to loving Sec Cha.  He’s no flower boy but man he has stage presence and a confidence about him that just oozes sex appeal. :lol:

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, jenappelle said:

 I love Sec Cha!  He is so cool and hot too! and I wished I knew more Korean to understand how foul mouthed he is. There is one friend of mine mentioning that translating to a non/lesser honorific language will lose part of what the dialogues is trying to convey. And LOL at TVN calling him "Chemie Fairy". 

Ya hot hot hot !!! I just love his micro expressions . Especially when he was exasperated :lol:

The bottle cap challenge is hilarious. 

More BTS, lots of good looking oppas to look at  . 

 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 6
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

By the way, anyone uses Netflix ? At first on mine it says 10eps but now it’s  16  . I counted the weeks . It should be 16 as the next replacement drama only starts on 26 Aug. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, triplem said:

By the way, anyone uses Netflix ? At first on mine it says 10eps but now it’s  16  . I counted the weeks . It should be 16 as the next replacement drama only starts on 26 Aug. 

I am using netflix. It shows ep16 since last week at least. YAY for us!!

 

Btw a journalist writes an article on how Sec Cha is a Blue House chemi fairy with everyone (PS use Papago trans)

http://m.mk.co.kr/entertain/headline/2019/547866#mkmain

 

New Photo of our blue house avengers

 

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi to everyone on this thread. 

I started to watch this drama a few days ago and just finished watching ep6. Was looking around for something 'intriguing and intelligent' to watch and ...JJH is here ok!!!  i'm in. I always love his intense thinking look can't think of any other Kdrama actor his age that can pull off PMJ's character.  I thought the first two episode was rather slow. Wasn't expecting JJH as PMJ  to be that docile and it almost bore me at some point but that change after ep3. I love to watch how PMJ's character evolved from being a mere Minister of Environment with no political background to Acting Head of Government and Commander in Chief. 

The casts are really great. Everyone is doing a great job and particularly like Sec Cha and Nam Wook's characters. When i saw LJH was going to be in this drama my thoughts was that he will be playing a dark character. I first saw him in Man from Equator and then House of Blue Bird and Stranger. I think he does a better job of playing a dark and mysterious character. Is OYS a war hero or something  I thought he was rather young to have all those old wounds and burned marks on his body. Probably there is a backstory to that and he's looking for revenge. 

Waiting for ep7 

  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@imgreatgal welcome to the thread !! 

The scars on OYS body is likely due to him being in the battle of bangyeong ( it was against  the  NKoreans) . According to the tvN character description, he’s in his early 40s 

His character description using Papago translate 

Spoiler

Oh Young-seok (Nam, early 40s) / Lee Joon-hyuk
a graduate of the Naval Academy / a leading member of the Battle of Baengnyeong / an independent lawmaker

 

Self-confident language, a confident expression, and great affinity for disarming opponents in an instant. And a natural soldier, a natural leader, whose mission is to dedicate himself to the community. a congenital power addict Like a scene from a Hollywood movie, it is equipped with a beautiful boy visual of naval conquest.
With strict living standards, he has so far lived a life that is just as disorganized as when he was an officer, such as fitness, ironing his suit and polishing his shoes every morning. The sexy tension of a man who does not neglect himself is attractive.
When it became known that Oh Young-seok was a former youth officer in the Battle of Baengnyeong, which was the first victory in a naval battle with North Korea since the Korean War, amid widespread anxiety and fear that North Korea might be behind the attacks. Characters, stories, and fantasies are all complete. 
If Mujin has won people's trust around practical policies, Oh Young-seok begins to win people's hearts with his aura and powerful charisma.

@jenapples true,  Cha is a chemie fairy .Besides shipping him with Sec Jeong , I love his intense discussions with PMJ & his banter with the Acting press secretary Kim. By the way , TvN has this vid on their YT channel - dedicated to Cha. It’s not allowed in my region but you can check and see if you can watch it :D 

 

 

Spoiler

C815B611-3634-4533-B9CA-0B5052C598FC.png

 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, imgreatgal said:

 

The casts are really great. Everyone is doing a great job and particularly like Sec Cha and Nam Wook's characters. When i saw LJH was going to be in this drama my thoughts was that he will be playing a dark character. I first saw him in Man from Equator and then House of Blue Bird and Stranger. I think he does a better job of playing a dark and mysterious character. Is OYS a war hero or something  I thought he was rather young to have all those old wounds and burned marks on his body. Probably there is a backstory to that and he's looking for revenge. 

@imgreatgal good to see your enjoying the drama.  I seocnd that thought about Sec Cha and Nam Wook. As for LJH, I like him playing dark mysterious roles. and my fav drama of his is still Equator Man... cried much..haha. For sure there is back story maybe he's p;anning to do something.. either good or bad which could endager the lives of many. Or he could be hero???

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

LJH in a recent magazine spread talks about his character OYS ( used Papago translator ) 

http://m.cosmopolitan.co.kr/article/RetArticleView.asp?strArtclCd=A000011037&strFCateCd=ACAA

Between joking and serious, Lee Joon-hyuk

Lee Jun-hyuk, an actor who lives in the right balance between art and reality, building pillographs with constant speed and force. With a heavy central pendulum, he has become " Oh Young-seok, " a character who is somewhere in good and evil, reality and ideals.

 

 

 

0000006168096004298301354.jpg
 

 

A shirt for 118,000 won Paul Smith.

 

Last week, " 60 Days, " the designated survivors, first aired. Lee Joon-hyuk appears in the third episode, right?

" I was relieved that I didn't show up in the first and second innings. Haha. I could see it more objectively because of it. Actually, the remake doesn't intentionally look at the original, but I looked it up after meeting with the director. I haven't watched it all, but our drama has a different appeal than the middle. It may be smaller in scale than the original, but there are more complex political situations that provide a more sensitive approach.

 

The designated survivor seems to have the theme, What is the real leadership needed in a crisis?

I think it's a trend to be interested in political issues. I'm on the same level. I haven't thought about leadership seriously, and " Let's live with good care around me. "

 

Unlike Park Moo-jin (Ji Jin-hee), who has no desire for power in the drama, you played Oh Young-seok, who seems to be born for politics.

I talked about this character a lot with the director, but I approached it because I thought it was someone who could appear in animation or fantasy rather than in real life. Oh Young-seok was wrong in explaining to the main character in the cartoon. He's not realistic, he's very graphic. Real information, such as age and marital status, is not important and is not necessary. So it's even more strange.

 

In the synopsis, the character Oh Young-seok writes, " The sexy tension of a man who doesn't neglect himself is attractive. "

Hahaha. Who wrote that? I didn't see it either! I think he is sexy under any circumstances. I'm not talking about slowdown, but I'm willing to deal with a crisis. A calm and non-systematic response I think it's really cool.

 

" I think I'm very nervous about the set because it has actors who are thorough in acting.

Among the scenes I went through, I love the atmosphere. Each person can freely express his or her opinion and accept it flexibly from the seniors. I think this is teamwork.

————

More here on the LJH thread where he was asked other personal questions 

 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...