[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

0ly40

15 hours ago, nrllee said:

Yes the unknown mastermind I think.  Initially I thought it was someone yet to be revealed, as in a faceless conglomerate figure who suddenly gets thrust in our face at the end (which would annoy the heck out of everyone :lol:).  But I think all the players are already revealed and there is no faceless figure.  The faceless figure is one of the people already in play (like we’re guessing here - Yun, Oh or Han.).

As a viewer of the American version, unfortunately I have to comment that if they do copy and paste to a certain extent, the masked mastermind will be someone who had not appeared yet. But of course, I am not doubting the direction this drama is going, it might surprise me. LOL

For example OYS is willing to take up the role of Defense Minister with a purpose that he had in mind. 

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ryanallright said:

As a viewer of the American version, unfortunately I have to comment that if they do copy and paste to a certain extent, the masked mastermind will be someone who had not appeared yet. But of course, I am not doubting the direction this drama is going, it might surprise me. LOL

For example OYS is willing to take up the role of Defense Minister with a purpose that he had in mind. 

NOO...we’ve been trolled so bad then :lol:.  Ah well. Up to the writer in the end.  All my theories just out the window with that comment. :lol:

I really like the theories. And even though I have seen the American version and I know how that went on. I still think this is kind of different. The premise is still the same but there is also changes. So when I watch this version I really don't think of the American version. 

And in my case I watch the American version when it aired so I actually don't even remember the little things. 

THe painting in the tailor  shop still has me thinking about its meaning. does it mean a new world after catastrophe and why did OH painted it? 

@joccu  For a moment there I looked at your profile pic and saw similarities to the painting by OYS :lol:... but it’s a tree yeah?  Not a nuke mushroom cloud.  Hard to make out coz it’s so small.  Gah...I think I need more sleep :lol:

I have a theory about the conspiracy. It's probably a little over the top but it's one that I've been playing around in my head, evolving with what we find out in each episode. Is this drama sophisticated enough to give us a conspiracy within a conspiracy? I don't know. But my confidence in the drama has increased a fair bit in the last few episodes.

Based on the surveillance camera footage of OYS going into the bunker, a different angle occurred to me. What if OYS wasn't involved in the original bombing attack? What if he had been called to the bunker by his subordinate... the one with PTSD because his subordinate was involved and the latter tipped him off just before the explosion. Perhaps in order to protect said subordinate OYS has kept mum and since then has been approached by the key conspirators to be a part of whatever it is that they've hatched. Perhaps OYS is in agreement with their overall goals and is a willing tool. On the other hand, he could have inserted himself into the scheme to find out more about what's going and prevent an even bigger disaster from taking place. Sort of like a mole.

It's one way for me to resolve the contradictions I see in his actions and personality. Why he can sound so sincere when he says things like "It is for people like Agent Han that I'm doing this" and why in front of his "co-conspirators" he sings their tune and sounds conceited.

It is intriguing that the Big Bad or kingpin or puppet master or whatever he or she is.. is behind the scenes orchestrating things with different "teams" who are largely unaware of one another existence. This is similar to the way certain terrorist cells operate... from what I've read. It certainly can't have happened overnight.

I know nothing about the US series apart from the Netflix blurb so this is purely speculative on my part. ;)

I think Sec Cha (yes!) is involved with the bombing.  When NIS Agent Jeong (I think that's his name--if not my apologies, I'm awful with names) went to meet President Park to brief him on who killed the North Korean guy, who was in the room with President Park--Sec Cha!  the first time OYS was in the room with President Park which prevented Agent Jeong from speaking freely to the President, this time is was Sec Cha!  Only problem with my theory is that Sec Cha would have killed the former President.  Perhaps it was an act--pretending to be torn up about the former President.  

This drama is so good--I can't wait until next Monday!

32 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

I think Sec Cha (yes!) is involved with the bombing. 

Oh dear... I sure hope not. :tears:

He's one of my favourite characters and have such high hopes for him. I like OYS too but at least I know he's dodgy and has the potential to break hearts. But the thought of CYJ pretending to be one of the good guys with a hidden agenda, I'm not sure if I will recover from that in a hurry. 

I doubt it though. ;) He's put in so much energy for this present administration and he's even trying to encourage PMJ to run for office and was disappointed when the latter seemed to backpeddle on OYS' appointment in terms of how it would reflect on the acting presidency. Everything he's done so far is for the survival of the current administration. There's also no logical reason for him to participate in the bombing because he really wanted President Yang to go much further and exert his authority much more than what he had when in power.

12 hours ago, nrllee said:

NOO...we’ve been trolled so bad then :lol:.  Ah well. Up to the writer in the end.  All my theories just out the window with that comment. :lol:

LOL relax.

It could something different as well.

Just keep trust in your theory.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I doubt it though. ;) He's put in so much energy for this present administration and he's even trying to encourage PMJ to run for office and was disappointed when the latter seemed to backpeddle on OYS' appointment in terms of how it would reflect on the acting presidency. Everything he's done so far is for the survival of the current administration. There's also no logical reason for him to participate in the bombing because he really wanted President Yang to go much further and exert his authority much more than what he had when in power.

Yeah I’m with you.  His breakdown in front of SooJeung was real.  He’s one of the good guys. :)  I think he was just jaded from being burnt with the Yang administration.  Yang was the kindest man he knew.  It killed him (Cha) to see him being tossed around and taken advantage of and then finally killed.  He didn’t want to make the same mistake again with PMJ who seemed to have exactly the same traits as Yang.  Hence his declaration in the beginning how he would side with a winner, he was done picking leaders based solely on character.  He didn’t want to get burnt a second time.  But he changed when he saw how PMJ was different to Yang and was exhibiting signs of being able to go the distance.

8 hours ago, nrllee said:

@joccu  For a moment there I looked at your profile pic and saw similarities to the painting by OYS :lol:... but it’s a tree yeah?  Not a nuke mushroom cloud.  Hard to make out coz it’s so small.  Gah...I think I need more sleep :lol:

hehe. Yeah it is a tree and not a nuke cloud..:D

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Based on the surveillance camera footage of OYS going into the bunker, a different angle occurred to me. What if OYS wasn't involved in the original bombing attack? What if he had been called to the bunker by his subordinate... the one with PTSD because his subordinate was involved and the latter tipped him off just before the explosion. Perhaps in order to protect said subordinate OYS has kept mum and since then has been approached by the key conspirators to be a part of whatever it is that they've hatched. Perhaps OYS is in agreement with their overall goals and is a willing tool. On the other hand, he could have inserted himself into the scheme to find out more about what's going and prevent an even bigger disaster from taking place. Sort of like a mole.

It is intriguing that the Big Bad or kingpin or puppet master or whatever he or she is.. is behind the scenes orchestrating things with different "teams" who are largely unaware of one another existence. This is similar to the way certain terrorist cells operate... from what I've read. It certainly can't have happened overnight.

that is one really intresting theory. And it maybe even true but somehow I don't see it happen. OYS is in my mind involved in the bombing. The way he speaks and act is totally telling that he's part of this catastrophe. 

And when one bad guy is caught and is asked if someone else was involved. He can't tell them if someone else was involved bc he didn't know. Pretty clever way to continue your plan. And for this plan to succeed they needed time. Maybe lot of time. 

After watching till esp 8 and reading some of the latest comments, I am thinking of the clues that lead to Advisor Han being involved in the bombing: 

- His photo with a sick child? is definitely a question mark that remains unanswered

- He was the one that gave president park the idea of hiring oys.

- He was adamant about not issuing the executive order. He threatened to resign but underestimated park.

- He somehow (I forgot how) managed to escape from being in the National Assembly building that afternoon- thought he ought to be since he was the chief Sec. 

- Assuming the plan was for all in cabinet to be dead but he didn’t expect for park to be sacked by president Yang and lead to park escaping the bombing. If all in the cabinet were to be dead , who will be next in line according to the korean’s constitution? Maybe that will be the clue as to who is involved ? 

But part of me wish it’s not him. We don’t need the typcial villain looking guy to be the real villain. 

Great points @cantoson :).  I’ll add to the incriminating evidence.  Rewatched bits of Ep 1 and watched Advisor Han carefully and what he said.

- The FTA Deal with the US?  It was key to maintaining relationships with the US.  Yet it was Han who put “someone whom we can trust into that negotiation”...Err what?  Throwing a noob like PMJ into a massively important deal?  That’s just asking for trouble?  He wanted that deal to fall through.

- He was enroute to the DMZ (?) with Human traffic light (I don’t know his name :lol:) to talk peace with North Korea when the bombing happened.  He was listening to President’s Speech in the car.  When Yang announced an imminent peace treaty (all the nations US, China, North Korea had all come to an agreement he said), everyone in the Assembly was surprised and shocked.  Even Human Traffic Light turned around and asked Sec Han, “Did you know about this?” Sec Han’s face was inscrutable, he didn’t reply and just looked out the window.

- When the bomb went off and the broadcast stopped suddenly, Sec Han told them to stop the car.  They all stepped out and he calmed Human Traffic Light.  Then he barked orders.  He told Human Traffic Light to call the North Korean representatives to send their apologies.  There was going to be no peace talk.  Then he said, “we’ll go to the Blue House”.  Why??  Why not go to ground zero?  Wouldn’t that be your main concern?  Whether your friends or colleagues died? Then he calls the Security Detail.

- PMJ runs to ground zero to try to find his daughter.  His Wife and Son show up at the scene later.  His Wife leaves with his daughter in the ambulance, leaving him with his Son.  Then, the Security Detail shows up, identifies him as PMJ (they actually ask him, “Are you PMJ?” :o) and herds him to the Blue House.  How??  How did they know he would be there, the sole survivor?  Unless Sec Han sent them there?

- Sec Han’s expressions during the interchange that PMJ had with Yang which resulted in his sacking was interesting too.  Initially I thought he was impressed that PMJ stood up to Yang and pointed him the right way...then his face fell when Yang fired him (and pushed on with the deal regardless).  I think he actually wanted the deal to fall through and to ruin US-Korea relations...hence his “happiness” when Yang seemed to listen to PMJ and then “annoyed/sad” when Yang went ahead regardless.

Which brings me to the conclusion that Tailor Group is against a unified Korea.  They don’t want it to happen.  The US is the mediator between the 2 Koreas.  If you sour the relations between US and South Korea, then they won’t be as happy to play the middle man.  And the bombing...which would pretty much ruin all the chances of it because North Korea would be the obvious suspect.  They were on the brink of signing off on a peace treaty, Yang had announced it at during the Assembly speech.  The bombing and all the insinuations would mean the treaty was dead in the water.

@nrlee OMG. I feel like Agent Han Nagyeong will have this same theory if she was watching this drama. Coz your theory is so scientific that it even looks obvious. Let's see if this is the real mastermind. But I wish someone else comes out of the shadows.

Also there are so many good actors in this drama even in minor roles. I wish this show get a second season coz many stories can be brought forth!!

Okay I watched and enjoyed the wisecrack and bantering of the American setting version but I am in awe how they brought that same vibe of humor to Korean version and I have to give loud to the script writers and actors DSK! The Korean government and American government have different settings but if you both know the government style there’s some truth on the political matters. Also, I must say the issue of SOKOR-NOKOR is highly sensitive two thumbs to the research team for being very careful — “Legally and Pollitically” hahahahaha! 

Oh dear... I sure hope not. :tears:

He's one of my favourite characters and have such high hopes for him. I like OYS too but at least I know he's dodgy and has the potential to break hearts. But the thought of CYJ pretending to be one of the good guys with a hidden agenda, I'm not sure if I will recover from that in a hurry. 

I doubt it though. ;) He's put in so much energy for this present administration and he's even trying to encourage PMJ to run for office and was disappointed when the latter seemed to backpeddle on OYS' appointment in terms of how it would reflect on the acting presidency. Everything he's done so far is for the survival of the current administration. There's also no logical reason for him to participate in the bombing because he really wanted President Yang to go much further and exert his authority much more than what he had when in power.

• Yeah I’m with you.  His breakdown in front of SooJeung was real.  He’s one of the good guys. :)  I think he was just jaded from being burnt with the Yang administration.  Yang was the kindest man he knew.  It killed him (Cha) to see him being tossed around and taken advantage of and then finally killed.  He didn’t want to make the same mistake again with PMJ who seemed to have exactly the same traits as Yang.  Hence his declaration in the beginning how he would side with a winner, he was done picking leaders based solely on character.  He didn’t want to get burnt a second time.  But he changed when he saw how PMJ was different to Yang and was exhibiting signs of being able to go the distance.

@40somethingahjumma @nrlleeYeah i think he is sincere too. He never shows any excitement on Oh's smooth skills in speech etc or anything else involving in him. For such an expressive actor as Son Seok Koo you will think he will betray more but he doesnt. And yeah, everything he's done so far is for the current admin. He has sealed his emotion for so long about the loss of President Yang and he broke down in EP8. You think that he will choose a more strategic place to break down rather than in front of his and Soo Jeung's boss office.

And his criteria is unique. A good man that knows how to win (and play dirty if he or she should). That's why Yun offer doesnt faze him. He could have pick and choose any of the candidate and they will welcome him in open arms.  Even before EP8 you sense that he wants something more. Even Han chided him on thinking an election could change everything. And PMJ able to play dirty in EP7 impresses him.

Which brings me to the conclusion that Tailor Group is against a unified Korea.  They don’t want it to happen.  The US is the mediator between the 2 Koreas.  If you sour the relations between US and South Korea, then they won’t be as happy to play the middle man.  And the bombing...which would pretty much ruin all the chances of it because North Korea would be the obvious suspect.  They were on the brink of signing off on a peace treaty, Yang had announced it at during the Assembly speech.  The bombing and all the insinuations would mean the treaty was dead in the water.

@nrllee You are definitely building something convincing here.

Regardless of why they dont want an unifying Korea:

1. Their bombing of the assembly of a peaceful treaty between NK and SK is something (although you can argue they want something else or that is a good opportunity etc)
  2. Fabricating evidences that NK is behind the bombing ( to break the relationship)

Son Seok Koo will have an interview on Cool FM tomorrow (29 July, 6- 8pm KST), so hopefully he can tell more on the casting process etc?

@anjelikaeyes13 I havent watch much of the original but from the 2 EPS I am glad that they adapt it well to NK/SK setting. 

Also I am short of my 20 pages plan tomorrow but 18 pages is achievable I hope :D

Theories  abound So there are suspects. Mr. Han.  OYS. Secy Cha. Ms Yun.

I don't know about you guys.... but 20 minutes into episode 7.. I'm already suspecting Han.  When he walked into the room, when he wanted non partisan cabinet, when  he explained what the "terrorist' want might have been clear from the beginning. The collapse of the Korea's state system. Their ultimate goal must be PE. (Presidentail Election) Confusing presidental election and causing internal conflict is probably what they want. Weneed to establish a firm govenment and prove to them Korea is still on it's feet We need to show they they can't get anything from attacking us. This is the only way we can offend them and defend ourselves".

I guess we're going to  see more about him through flashback. Maybe he's got ideals and vision he wants for Korea. Maybe he's got a son disillusioned by what's going on joined some group. I mean... there are possible things.

But I'm also suspect OYS. He's shady.  He's got inner turmoil and conflict. Physical wounds ( when he was soldier), emotional mental wounds, he's fighting for something, for his comrades, for the ideals, the needs.  his judgement could be clouded but he's got the smarts and so it doesn't show. The scene in the cemetery with opposition leader Ms. Yun, we see how he shut her down.. She doesn't want non party cabinet ( even going as far as impeach PMG) she admitted, OYS is even more "dangerous" that she thought initially. She said "it's hard to guess what he's thing king and his next move. She also said  "a politician who's  move is hard to calculate is dangerous"

Ms. Yun - she  could be part of  a bigger master mind? And because Agent Han Na Kyung said Ms. Yun is the only one who knows that she's going to the hearing....then accident happen. And the same fake police was also the same guy who brought the poison  food in the interrogation room.. if I'm correct. He wanted to get files she has.  But she recovered manage to speed the car aways.

Sec. Cha. I'm not ruling him out despite his breakdown and passion for the former President.  He wanted  OYS for cabinet position.

Everything is alaborate orchestrated plan.  Someone from the inside knew the movements, the places, the officials. Somebody that has authority.

Agent Han's fiance could be a key part.. Jung Oh.. espionage team. He's dead.. as OYS claim?

As for the scandal on PMJ?  looks to be personal.. Heh.. cos I had a hunch already

On 7/22/2019 at 11:37 PM, jongski said:

After 60 days,  they will have to elect a President, correct?  PMJ said he will step down as acting President and go back to being in the civilian life as professor. I think  he will be embroiled in personal or national controvery.  OYS will either take  that as an oppotunity for himself.

It involves something from school. KAIST. The whistle blower could have a grudge against him. Maybe involve his son and wife.

So who could've done the bombing? Hmm.  This drama's exciting, alright,

Btw,  I was all smiles during Ah Nae Sang scenes. Gosh, imagine Mayor Kang being the winner of PE?  :blink::sweatingbullets::D

I am also trying to piece together the chain of events for OYS during the Assembly Meeting.  PTSD subordinate (as @40somethingahjumma suggested) may have been another minion.  His call was OYS’s alibi for not being where he should’ve been when the bomb went off. Nobody was supposed to know about the bunker.  Had Agent Han not been tipped off nobody would’ve been the wiser, she had to do a lot of digging to actually find Room 119.

@triplem

Interesting the list of candidates for VIP tVN supplied.  The hoobae too?  :o.  Advisor Han may not be VIP but I think he’s part of the Tailor Group. Higher up like @angelbeast90 (?) or was it @jenappelle (?) suggested.  It sounds like there’s a hierarchy where OYS seems to know most of the pieces in play and others like the NIS Head and Advisor to Assemblywoman Yun is in the dark. Then they have henchmen to do their dirty work like Tae-Ik (pretend cops for accident with Agent Han and murder of Myung)

@jongski Yun wasn’t the only one who knew about Agent Han coming to her with evidence before OYS’s hearing. She told her Advisor (the older dude who is always by her side).  I think he’s in the Tailor Group not her.  Probably not high up, just a minion like the NIS head. If she was part of it she wouldn’t have stopped the hearing. They would be on the same side, makes no sense for her to do what she did.  And she wouldn’t have needed to ‘recruit’ OYS either.

Why does this chart don't have Madam Yun's right hand man? He looks shady most of the times.

----------------------

Does tvn check this thread or something!!!

Wow PMJ's romance style will be revealed!!! I'm here for it! Will we see his abs!!!:D

Archived