[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

0ly40

10 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@triplem I am still thinking, it is Han... Sure, the episode 14 gave me the impression that the tailor Kim could have created a fictive VIP. Yet after giving some thought, I started doubting it again due to general Eun's words who also thought that Kim might be the VIP.

Me too.... last week episode surely did give me vibe that the tailor is the VIP.... he with his wrong perception of ideology... run from North Korea and using psychology tactic to recruits the elites by creating fiction character... but then I thought again where did he get the money to create such a mess like the bomb attack... no matter how prestigious his shop there's no way it can afford a big casualties like that. 

I'm so enjoying the show... the writer succeed on giving the viewers (who previously already watched the US version) different vibes from the original version. Me too I don't think I can handle to see my president living a tough life dealing with dirty political tricks in season 2. It will be best if they wrap up this drama as it already marks as one of best drama in my list. The cast are perfect, the story line is well adapted, and I remember there was a criticism to Ha Na Gyeong, it was said she was not portray a real NIS agent but in my opinion she did well, her role is an analyst, a very capable analyst. So she is unlike a field agent who will ambush into enemy place, or doing a lot of gun shot scenes, or even kill and fight enemy... she did her part by her analysis, solving the puzzle, looking for clues... so she did well in take.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good episode... No. 15... the best of the odd numbered ones in recent weeks. 

It's clear that PMJ has grown into the role by not only listening to his more experienced staffers but by applying the information he's been given wisely. After all, the buck stops with him. It's lovely to see him develop into a thinking ethical winner and give hope to even the most jaded and cynical of people in the Blue House. His conversations with Sec. Han in this episode were some of the best in this drama. I even teared up when the political veteran finally agreed to join his campaign. Didn't he look somewhat pleased when PMJ shook hands with General Lee? I think someone was slicing and dicing onions nearby during that scene.

If Sec Han is the VIP as many here think him to be, then he is a far better actor than I gave him credit for. Or at least the VIP is a far more conflicted individual than I've been led to believe thus far. :P ;) I continue thinking that it has to be someone else... someone who is able to command a great deal of financial resources. Although it's now been established that Tailor Kim had the skill set to make things happen on demand I still think he required the funds to get things moving. An obviously gifted man... appropriately innocuous looking. (Of course it doesn't preclude the fact that Sec Han could have amassed large sums of money from somewhere although we have no information on that)

At the end of the day (aside from being a serious criminal, national security matter) thematically it doesn't really matter who the VIP is. He's a shadowy Sauron-type figure with his puppets and chess pieces in strategic locations to do his bidding. First and foremost this is about PMJ an unlikely candidate overcoming enormous odds to prove himself a worthy presidential candidate who plays the game differently from those who subscribe to "politics as usual". Secondly this is also about the reason why people joined the conspiracy. We heard it from Agent Han NG... these people were abandoned by the politicians who sent them out on missions to cover their own rear ends. Why would someone like OYS who had an honourable military career, a war hero by all accounts, beloved by his own men jump off the straight and narrow? He no longer believed what the country stood for and turned traitor. It's like the Cambridge Five who spied for the KGB in the UK during the height of the Cold War. They held to an ideology which they believed was the best one and gave away state secrets.

I'm still not impressed with how they dealt with OYS. It still doesn't sit well with me. I'm not asking for a public hanging but he needed to give an account. Speaking of the people's need to know, this is something they need to know about as well. Of course the flashbacks remind us of how he thought and what drove him to treason. He was a disillusioned and very bitter certainly but what compounded the problem was that he was offered power to make change. 

Speaking of military types, the obvious contrast was between the two generals and the choices they made. But I actually think the more interesting contrast is the one between OYS and General Lee. There are probably good reasons why General Lee wasn't chosen by the VIP and General Eun was. And we saw that played out here. General Lee still believes in the country and the democratic values that hold the country together even if the man in charge humiliated him not once or twice. Whether or not these values are adhered to perfectly/idealistically... well that's another matter. ;) However, it is hard to bribe someone who puts values above power and wealth. OYS saw himself as a powerless victim or as the spokesperson for the powerless so power was the answer that he craved. The country turned its back on him and his men thus its values have become meaningless to him. 

Okay. I am keen to know how PMJ played an instrumental part in the bombing. I'm as baffled as he is on that.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Okay. I am keen to know how PMJ played an instrumental part in the bombing. I'm as baffled as he is on that.

Yeah ditto.  The only thing I can come up with is his unwitting part in the FTA (?) deal with the US?  And the stance that he took?  But notwithstanding what he did and his stance, Yang was going to go ahead regardless with keeping the peace with the US anyway and push ahead with a united Korea?  So you can’t exactly say he (PMJ) had anything to do with the bombing going ahead?  Unless the terror cell (Tailor Kim) somehow twists it so that PMJ was brought in on purpose (from the beginning) to sour the deal with the US and he “failed” in his “unofficial directive” and therefore the cell had to take things into their own hands by killing Yang and his officials as a result?  Kind of a stretch of the imagination but terror cells often don’t operate rationally.

I managed to carve out some time to watch Ep 15.

The way Sec Han yelled at the pic of Yang in the hall says to me that he’s not quite “right” in his head.  It’s as if he pinned all his hopes on Yang and he (Yang) failed miserably.  There was a lot of anger, bitterness  and resentment there.  His words are always laced with a hint of bitterness and anger.  Does the fact that he swung to side with PMJ mean anything?  I am wondering if he’s taking a punt now with PMJ like he did with Yang to herald a Korea that he wants to see.  Still it doesn’t absolve him of the responsibility of doing what he did (if he is the VIP) to get to where he is now to have that second bite of the cherry.  I still wonder about the whole underlying purpose of the terror cell.  Their mantra.  Is it just a bunch of misfits with similar axes to grind coming together against a common enemy (the government of Korea?)?

EDIT - yeah my worry is that Sec Han will potentially do to PMJ what he did to Yang.  He seemed genuinely upset that he died but at the same time, it’s almost as if he convinced himself that Yang had to go because he failed to deliver on the bigger directive (a Korea that the terror group wanted to see).  So in other words, everyone is dispensable.  The parting would be sad but if it serves a higher cause, it’s worth it).

I have no idea what kind of allegations this Kim tailor is making. PMJ is alpha and the omega of the Assembly being bombed!! Maybe it could be that he maybe referring to a long forgotten thesis report PMJ wrote as a grad student about how all these cables and antennas are irradiating the environment and such!! What am I even saying lol.

All these flash backs in this episode made me a bit dizzy! When Madam Yun was setup as trap and all that. Maybe I need to watch again. Overall I enjoyed the episode. Only thing is I wish it started with General Lee entering the DSC bunker in the first few minutes of the episode. I could have been happy if the reveal was done later coz I wanted to enjoy the reaction's of the President's staff!!

Secretary Cha is too busy to go out with Secretary Sejeong so he invites her to his office. They even argue in tandem now. :)

Also Madam Yun's right hand man is kinda shady!!

Are they gonna fast forward today's episode in the second half of the episode to Swearing in Ceremony!!!

Wasn't Tailor Kim lying when he told PMJ that he is the VIP? In an earlier scene he was clearly talking to someone on the phone saying he had sent the photos to PMJ and Yun as he was ordered. And what did he mean when he said the attack was possible because PMJ was at the beginning and end and that PMJ helped complete the attack? 

As i said in an earlier post it could not have easily ended with OYS death. They probably had a plan B and probably C.  Of course OYS, Assemblywoman Yun and PMJ factored in their plan. When PMJ and NIS were on to OYS and General Eun they abandoned them and change their plan. At the briefing by PMJ about the coup both Yun and Kang found out that the NIS were investigating Tailor Kim. Kim abandoned Yun by sending the photos to PMJ and to Yun as a warning, but it ended well for Yun when she decided to help PMJ catch Kim. At the end of this PMJ is the lone survivor in the VIP's plan. PMJ fits in to their ideologies of a new Korea. I say 'their' not the VIP because i believe the VIP is just a figure head. OYS, Yun, Han even Cha has the same ideologies, the Discrimination Act et al. 

13 minutes ago, angelbeast90 said:

Also Madam Yun's right hand man is kinda shady!!

Yes he’s part of the terror group. He was the one who leaked the info about Agent Han coming to the Assembly to reveal OYS’s involvement in the bombing.

Terror cell has links in all the critical groups, military, NIS, Opposition Party and BH.  Sec Han is definitely part of it but whether he is the VIP is another matter. The NaHyeong (?) Group head is also in on it.  He probably bankrolls the operations. Henchmen like the TaeIk guy (who is not TaeIk :lol:) are needed to do the dirty work. They are all “managed” by Tailor Kim who admits to being the VIP but I seriously doubt he is.  Thing is with terror cells is that they go to extreme means to protect the one on top because even if the people down the bottom get taken out, the mastermind is safe to regroup again and start over.

Why do I have this feeling that , "Not Taeik" s phone call with VIP is that, he might come to take out Tailor Kim out of the picture. Why show that scene and the ominous looks he gave while Tailor Kim was on phone. I thought his story is finished and he will fade in to the forest.

Speaking of tailoring  PMJ's broad back is highlighted in each episode!!:lol: As if a tape measure is being put on and the days get shorter!

nHPLwho.jpg

However I don't think Tailor Kim will get a chance to sew a suit for Park Dae. Coz all these threads of lies he is making will be cut by Agent HNG, I hope.

Also this episode made me notice the slight hair changes PMJ has gone through! Coz of the flashbacks.

BTS ! I miss LJH 

Anyway , anyone watching live ??

Apparently VIP is Sec Han according to this tweet handle. He was caught on cCtv meeting Tailor Kim. 

I think this was the final scene 

I wanna a season 2 with PMJ going for the election! 

5 minutes ago, pompyavi said:
  Hide contents

By looking at the IG clips it looks like PMJ withdrew his candidacy 

Yes ! I read some Korean twitter that said the same . Hope the translations were correct 

Spoiler

That he wanted to go back to teach  . When they ask him if he wanted to run for it  , he did not answer . 

Oh our little ship sailed , kkkkkkkk - they had to break Press Secretary Kim’s Heart :lol:

1 hour ago, pompyavi said:
  Hide contents

By looking at the IG clips it looks like PMJ withdrew his candidacy 

No, I don't think so. It was said earlier that as a candidate, he needs to leave the Blue House 30 days before the election.

Well, I have to correct myself. I believe that he withdrew his candidacy because of Han.

Spoiler

He seems to have been the VIP.

I was really worried about the ending but they managed to wrap up everything nicely. Well it makes sense. He never wanted to be the President to begin with. Never in his dreams he would have thought that. He got to know his potential only during the acting presidency term. And when everything is revealed and law and order is restored, to be honest I don't think he would have survived even if he had won the election. He decided to run only because he didn't want OYS to be the next president. Knowing that he was a part of the attack which he wasn't aware of, he couldn't have grabbed that. Knowing the kind of person he is he would never use others or these kind of situations as a stepping stone. This opportunity came to him only because of the bombing otherwise even Sec Cha would not consider him a candidate.
His politics was really unique. A world where no one loses. And as rightly said by KSK's secretary, he is really unbeatable. Well if no one loses, everyone is winner.

Edit: PMJ and his wife's relationship is unique. I usually avoid romantic dramas because I can't stand all those cheesy and corny dialogues. But here it really shows the love, respect, care they have for each other. No matter what, they have got each other's back. Sec Cha's dialogue that he is there to protect him, as well as his ideas and beliefs. And he really did change. Asking someone more than twice. 

Even if there is no season 2, I am okay with that. And if they plan it in future, I am definitely in. But the story should be as solid as this one and same cast...:D

So Han is the Blue House mole which I've been expecting since episode 1 and the VIP is the one whom the killer is talking  to at the airport?  Or Han is also the VIP?  lol  the agony of watching it raw.

46 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

I was really worried about the ending but they managed to wrap up everything nicely. Well it makes sense. He never wanted to be the President to begin with. Never in his dreams he would have thought that. He got to know his potential only during the acting presidency term. And when everything is revealed and law and order is restored, to be honest I don't think he would have survived even if he had won the election. He decided to run only because he didn't want OYS to be the next president. Knowing that he was a part of the attack which he wasn't aware of, he couldn't have grabbed that. Knowing the kind of person he is he would never use others or these kind of situations as a stepping stone. This opportunity came to him only because of the bombing otherwise even Sec Cha would not consider him a candidate.
His politics was really unique. A world where no one loses. And as rightly said by KSK's secretary, he is really unbeatable. Well if no one loses, everyone is winner.

Edit: PMJ and his wife's relationship is unique. I usually avoid romantic dramas because I can't stand all those cheesy and corny dialogues. But here it really shows the love, respect, care they have for each other. No matter what, they have got each other's back. Sec Cha's dialogue that he is there to protect him, as well as his ideas and beliefs. And he really did change. Asking someone more than twice. 

Even if there is no season 2, I am okay with that. And if they plan it in future, I am definitely in. But the story should be as solid as this one and same cast...:D

Me too. I like this open ending and if they start a second season, I am all for it.

Archived