[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

0ly40

On 7/19/2019 at 6:11 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Episode 6

I'd need a lot more than a bomb shelter in the basement to say with any degree of certainty that OYS is part of the bombing incident -- as mastermind or co-conspirator. It is suspicious... no arguments about that and must be investigated... but I still have doubts. And why is someone tipping off Agent Han about blueprints and bomb shelters? What is their motive? What's in it for them to leave her a trail of bread crumbs to follow? I'm quite willing to believe that there are people in various branches of the public service involved in the event because they think it an act of patriotism. Principled men and women who have come together to act decisively. My guess is that it's related to N. Korea even if the N. Korean leadership did not sanction the actual bombing. 

I continue to be somewhat suspicious of YCK... because of all her talk of revolution and change has that sort of contemptuous slant to it. There may be nothing more to it than a kind of political hubris and an overdeveloped sense of self-righteousness but she shouldn't be disregarded as a possible suspect.

PMJ continues to suffer growing pains. While he's learning to adapt to the needs of the role mostly out of necessity, he finds himself at odds with his hitherto unchallenged conscience. No amount of training can prepare him for the enormousness of the task before him. He wants to do good... to do what is right and yet is ill-prepared for the consequences. The death of the team operations leader strikes at the very heart of his dilemma. There are no solutions... only trade-offs. Still I'm not without sympathy for PMJ because these weighty life and death issues have been thrust on him and ironically it's because of his innate goodness that he's in the position that he's in. 

Over and over again, we're reminded that he's certainly not anyone's first choice for the Blue House. OYS makes that cryptic comment to his tailor. The Netflix subber translates it as "It's someone who is not Blue House material". I looked up the C-subs for that line out of curiosity and to get a sense of OYS' attitude real attitude towards PMJ. It seems that it could be translated in a number of ways... "It's someone who isn't suited/suitable for the Blue House." would be the obvious and simplest translation.

Was it a comment made out of contempt? Or a mere observation? Or does he pity him? Those questions continue to linger in my mind.

The obvious thing to say about OYS is that he is hard to read. My take on him at this stage is that he's almost the complete opposite of PMJ. I can see why early character descriptions called him PMJ's rival. He's cool, calm and politically savvy. Not surprising considering his background as a highly decorated military officer. He's a natural fit for political life and even the Blue House in a way PMJ mightn't be. I'm sure he thinks that PMJ is completely out of his depth but probably only because he's a decent human being.

If he's behind the bombing, it would be because he thinks it's his patriotic duty to change things and shake things up because the people who ran things were hopeless.

At this stage it's hard for me to see that Sec Han is part of any conspiracy in the bombing. He seems so attached to the late President Yang. I think if we get a sense of why the plot was hatched, we might get a better sense of who was involved.

It isn't that I believe honest people should not be in politics. ;) I would love for more people of integrity to be in politics actually. What I want is for honest people to be smart when in politics. Goodness should not be a substitute for intelligence and vice versa. They're not diametrically opposed. There are good people in politics even today but I've seen good people in politics get white-anted by their own party, fall victim to media bias and hostility and be outclassed by their opponents. It's depressing. Make no mistake, the mainstream media is quite tribal these days and they choose who they scrutinize and give a pass to so the public doesn't always get an accurate picture of what's on offer.

The problem though is not with honest people per se but that politics seems to attract particular kinds of individuals. Plus the fact that people are corruptible especially when they've had a taste of power.

I like PMJ as a man. He seems to be a great father and husband... and that scores big with me. And.  I believe he's intelligent enough to make a decent go of it at being the president, given the chance. But he has to learn fast that not everyone thinks the way he does. Game theory anyone? I also understand that he wants to hold on to his ideals and not compromise his moral compass. There is no reason he has to. The thing though is that his moral universe is being mugged by the reality of what it means to be the leader of a nation. He did everything he could to avoid direct confrontation and to contain whatever violence was necessary in the Cambodian affair through diplomacy but at the end of the day, he can't control everything especially on the ground. Like the missions leader said -- the chance of success was 50-50. The mission was as far as the primary objective was concerned... a success but there was a casualty. He was grief stricken and that shows his fundamental decency but soldiers know that there's always a chance that they don't make it home. 

I have to say JJH is doing a good job with the role and he does better with each new crisis.

JJH is great. The fact that he could convey his tension and made the audience squirm in their seats in EP6 is a testament to his acting. 

For OYS - I agree with you that he is very political savvy. He knew that his political ambitions could be further more if he does not ally with any one of the major parties or PMJ.  However I feel that he is a bit too arrogant behind his words. Secretary Cha may be arrogant too but he does not underestimate PMJ. And that might be his downfall if he is part of the gang that is behind the bombing.

Btw there is a chrome add in for netflix, and I can copy the said text out later on OYS statement.

1 hour ago, CarolynH said:

Episode 6 just broke me!:bawling:  The torment and sadness in the President's face when he heard Major Yang died was so heartbreaking that I ended up crying.  Excellent acting JJH!  I haven't seen the US version and I'm not going to until this drama ends so I don't compare the two,.  I do really like Keifer Sutherland though.  I haven't read all the posts, but is the consensus that the President's wife had an affair?  I really hope not.  That would crush PMJ.  

Dont think its an affair? If its an affair there wont be a formal pic like that. That's like a formal pic taken by a professional photographer. PMJ wife might be divorced during or shortly after her pregnancy before she met PMJ.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Do you mean OYS' conversation with the tailor? Episode 6. About 42 minutes in.

Is OYS being arrogant? Could be. But he's not wrong. ;)

Hey, just got the hangul in. Its "‎청와대가 ‎어울리지 않는 사람" , it looks like it should be translated to people unsuitable/unmatchable for Blue House but I am no expert, just guessing some of the meaning using Papago dic

For OYS, Hmm I am more referring to too much arrogance will be anyone's downfall rather than whether than the statement is true.

@triplem I love Sec Cha!  He is so cool and hot too! and I wished I knew more Korean to understand how foul mouthed he is. There is one friend of mine mentioning that translating to a non/lesser honorific language will lose part of what the dialogues is trying to convey. And LOL at TVN calling him "Chemie Fairy". 

And also it seems like the Blue House aides gets along really well with each other, with Sec Jeong's actress filming both of them 

20 hours ago, jenappelle said:

Dont think its an affair? If its an affair there wont be a formal pic like that. That's like a formal pic taken by a professional photographer. PMJ wife might be divorced during or shortly after her pregnancy before she met PMJ.

Yeah that’s my thinking too.  No affair...even though that was where my mind jumped to when I saw that photo.  And I guess that would be what SiWan may have thought too... or maybe more down the line that he wasn’t PMJ’s biological son.  Probably why he asked his dad that question about him never having lied to him.

And yes to loving Sec Cha.  He’s no flower boy but man he has stage presence and a confidence about him that just oozes sex appeal. :lol:

38 minutes ago, triplem said:

By the way, anyone uses Netflix ? At first on mine it says 10eps but now it’s  16  . I counted the weeks . It should be 16 as the next replacement drama only starts on 26 Aug. 

I am using netflix. It shows ep16 since last week at least. YAY for us!!

Btw a journalist writes an article on how Sec Cha is a Blue House chemi fairy with everyone (PS use Papago trans)

http://m.mk.co.kr/entertain/headline/2019/547866#mkmain

New Photo of our blue house avengers

Hi to everyone on this thread. 

I started to watch this drama a few days ago and just finished watching ep6. Was looking around for something 'intriguing and intelligent' to watch and ...JJH is here ok!!!  i'm in. I always love his intense thinking look can't think of any other Kdrama actor his age that can pull off PMJ's character.  I thought the first two episode was rather slow. Wasn't expecting JJH as PMJ  to be that docile and it almost bore me at some point but that change after ep3. I love to watch how PMJ's character evolved from being a mere Minister of Environment with no political background to Acting Head of Government and Commander in Chief. 

The casts are really great. Everyone is doing a great job and particularly like Sec Cha and Nam Wook's characters. When i saw LJH was going to be in this drama my thoughts was that he will be playing a dark character. I first saw him in Man from Equator and then House of Blue Bird and Stranger. I think he does a better job of playing a dark and mysterious character. Is OYS a war hero or something  I thought he was rather young to have all those old wounds and burned marks on his body. Probably there is a backstory to that and he's looking for revenge. 

Waiting for ep7 

42 minutes ago, imgreatgal said:

The casts are really great. Everyone is doing a great job and particularly like Sec Cha and Nam Wook's characters. When i saw LJH was going to be in this drama my thoughts was that he will be playing a dark character. I first saw him in Man from Equator and then House of Blue Bird and Stranger. I think he does a better job of playing a dark and mysterious character. Is OYS a war hero or something  I thought he was rather young to have all those old wounds and burned marks on his body. Probably there is a backstory to that and he's looking for revenge. 

@imgreatgal good to see your enjoying the drama.  I seocnd that thought about Sec Cha and Nam Wook. As for LJH, I like him playing dark mysterious roles. and my fav drama of his is still Equator Man... cried much..haha. For sure there is back story maybe he's p;anning to do something.. either good or bad which could endager the lives of many. Or he could be hero???

@triplem Thanks for updates :)

So here is the thing about OYS 1. Either he's part of the plan. 2. He knew of the plan. 3 hew knew and was trying to stop.

He went to opposition leader Yun to see but he's not willing to be used by her. He's a first term assembleyman. The youngest one elected. He knows  the politics works. I'd say he  more how the systems goes more than PMJ.  He's decorative  soldier, he fought and been wounded, he serve his country. He's a survivor.  He knows what he needs to do to achieve what he wants. He has ambitions.

If he accepts the of PMJ, it signals to me that he can  defnitley get more milieage alining himself with PM rather than Yun.. who's very ambitious tooo for that power. After 60 days,  they will have to elect a President, correct?  PMJ said he will step down as acting President and go back to being in the civilian life as professor. I think  he will be embroiled in personal or national controvery.  OYS will either take  that as an oppotunity for himself.

But OYS still ambiguous. There seems to be a desire for him to do something big. To avenge or to take revenge? There's got to be back story. Now I've never seen the US TV show so I don't know what the strory is all abouu.

I'm curious as to who called Agent Kang in front of her house using the payphone and even gave a tip.  Is the person an enemy of OYS? A military buddy, perhaps? Trying to frame him? Perhaps there was a plan but it was found out?

@triplemFrom the sub:

Cha: "I was wrong, sir. Mr. President won without making any enemies."
Han" I guess so."
Cha" I think I've found him. The winner. The one who knows how to win. This is the first item on the decision making."
Judge" We will now begin the hearing regarding the candidates."
PMJ: "We're finally out of the woods."
Cha" But such controversies regarding the acting president will continue. There is one way to quell it."
PMJ" And what is it?"
Cha" You can be elected under the democratic legitimacy. You don't have to act on behalf of the president.You can act on behalf of the people."
PMJ" What do you mean? "

Cha"Will you run for presidency?"

@jongski

I'm curious as to who called Agent Kang in front of her house using the payphone and even gave a tip.  Is the person an enemy of OYS? A military buddy, perhaps? Trying to frame him? Perhaps there was a plan but it was found ou

I am thinking perhaps her boyfriend is alive and on the run.  Who else will knew her habits the best?

And boy, does PMJ learns a lot on the fly? When he said " I will use political maneuver" to his secretary I cheered. Even his aides didnt expect that. When Secretary Cha realises what he has done his eyes lit up, like a cross between finding a potential treasure and a dog founding his favourite master. I couldnt help but laugh at his talk with PMJ.

4 hours ago, jenappelle said:

I am thinking perhaps her boyfriend is alive and on the run.  Who else will knew her habits the best?

Yeah I think so too. Maybe he’s working under cover?

omg, when i heard the title i'm like wait.. there's a korean version, i got excited and watched the first part.  It did not disappoint me at all.  I mean i know what's going to happen already since i seen the USA one ( well at least season 1 and half of season two), i'm just pieces the character together. LOL.  Both series are on point from each other and the casts are amazing.  Still a very good episode one for Korea. 

I was hopping this one ended already so i can binge watch it but turns out it's only like episode 7 in. LOL.  I just love this type of series, so i can't wait to watch on.  Glad Korean made their version and the cast did not disappoint.

OYS is accepting the role of Defense Minister.

Cha mentioned that it is not due to his lack of ambition when he rejected the role of Prime Minister, it is rather he understand the mindset of the voters, so he chose to reject the offer. Furthermore, he could use his expertise if he is a Defense Minister.

27 minutes ago, yoondonggu said:

Can anyone help me with the full title of the opening theme? The one that is played during the climax of each episode? There is a snippet on Youtube with no title/artist information. 

Is it the OST?  :huh:  Sorry can’t read Korean so no idea if this article is relevant or not.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/382/0000748872

Wiki has on its page “My Hope” Cha YeoWoo in Original Soundtrack section.  Found this on YouTube (it’s beautiful) :wub:

Archived