SBS DRAMA

MUNG BEAN FLOWER

WE40361910_ori.jpg

D4VWwNLWkAAcRLk.jpg

Hangul: 녹두꽃

Genre: Sageuk

Network: SBS

Episodes: 24

Director: Shin Kyung Soo (Tree With Deep Roots, 3 Days, Six Flying Dragons, Doubtful Victory)

Writer: Jung Hyun Min (Jeong DoJeon, Assembly)

Release Date: April 26th - July 13th, 2019

Runtime: Fridays & Saturdays @ 22:00 KST

Production Company: CJS Entertainment

OST: part 1 part 1 FORESTELLA- Bird Bird Blue Bird

part 2 Xiah - Blows

part 3 Ban Kwang Ok - If I See You

part 4 Young Joon (영준) of Brown Eyed Soul - Because It's You

part 5 Park Yun (박연) of Damsonegongbang (담소네공방) - I'll Wait

part 6 Ha Eun (하은) - If I Could Reach

part7 Im Do Hyuk - That Day

Official Site: HERE

Plot:

The drama is about the Battle of Ugeumchi that took place in 1894 during the Donghak Peasant Revolution.

Cast

Jo Jung Suk as Baek Yi Kang

Yoon Shi Yoon as Baek Yi Hyun

Han Ye-Ri as Song Ja-in

Choi Moo Sung as Jeon Bung Jun (general Mung Bean)

Lee Jeong-Heon as Lee Yong-Tae

Min Sung-Wook  as Choi Kyung-Sun

Park Hyuk Kwon as Baek Man-Deuk

Jung Sun-Chul as Nam

Seo Young-Hee  as Yoo-Wol

Ahn Kil-Kang  as Hae-Seung

Roh Haeng-Ha as Beo-Deul

Kim Sang Ho as Choi Deok-Ki

Choi Won Young as Hwang Seok-Joo

Jo Hyun Sik as Eok-Shwe

Jeong Gyu-Su as Dongrokgae

Kim Jung Ho as Kim Gae-Nam

Park Gyu-Young as Hwang Myeong Sim

Seo Jae-gyu as Lee Doo-hwan

Byung Hun as Beon-Gae

Hong Woo Jin as Son Hwa-Joong

Lee Tae-Geum as Song Hee-Ok

Park Gyu-Young as Hwang Myung-Sim

Jo Hee-Bong as Hong

Song Yool-Kyu as Kim Dang-Son

Jang Gwang as Jo Byung-Gab

Hwang Young Hee as Yi-Hyun's mother

Characters chart

D471nWwXkAA4UX0.jpg&key=57392f541c7a071f

cr. rachelyun

Posters

D4VWwpMXkAA2J8e.jpg

2019041901001516100101641_20190418150409

Character posters

mungj.jpg&key=4774c0e9886dec04feb95ef425

mungy.jpg

mungh.jpg

Character descriptions

Baek Yi Kang (Jo Jung Suk) is the older brother who was born out of wedlock as the son of his father’s wife’s slave. With a sharp look and cold smile, he speaks with sarcasm in his voice and likes to pick a fight.

Baek Yi Hyun (Yoon Shi Yoon) is the younger brother of Baek Yi Kang. While he is the youngest son in the family, he is also the first “rightful son” born under the wife. With a graceful appearance and speaking manner, he shows much respect for his older brother.

Song Ja In (Han Ye Ri)is the only child of Song Bong Gil, the peddler of peddlers in Jeolla Province. With both charisma and courage, she also runs a shop where she trades goods for money, striving to be the best peddler in the history of Korea.

Teasers/Trailers

teaser 2    teaser 3

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jo Jung Suk And Yoon Shi Yoon Considering Offers For New SBS Drama

89a6772f85724a0e9e4db655c972f6b6.jpeg?s=

Jo Jung Suk and Yoon Shi Yoon may be working together in a new drama!

On November 22, it was reported that the two actors will be starring in upcoming SBS drama “Ugeumchi” (literal title).

Regarding the reports, Jo Jung Suk’s agency JS Company responded, “‘Ugeumchi’ is one of the projects he has been offered,” and added, “Nothing has been confirmed. He is reviewing the offers.”

Yoon Shi Yoon’s agency commented, “He is positively considering the offer.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1267499wpp/jo-jung-suk-yoon-shi-yoon-considering-offers-new-sbs-drama

Jo Jung-seok, Yoon Shi-yoon offered brother roles in SBS sageuk

by tipsymocha

jojungseok-yoonshiyoon-ugeumchi.jpg

New drama alert! And this one is exciting on so many levels. PD Shin Kyung-soo, of Tree With Deep Roots and Six Flying Dragons fame, is helming a new sageuk for SBS. Joining him is another sageuk expert, writer Jung Hyun-min, who wrote the acclaimed Jung Do-jeon. Titled Ugeumchi, the sageuk takes place at the end of the 19th century and will focus on the Donghak Peasant Rebellion, which is credited (blamed?) for sparking the First Sino-Japanese War and strengthening Imperial Japan’s hold in Korea.

Ugeumchi will revolve around two half-brothers, and offers are currently out to Jo Jung-seok (Two Cops) and Yoon Shi-yoon (Your Honor) to headline as siblings on different sides of the conflict. If they accept, Jo Jung-seok will play what sounds like an antihero character, the illegitimate son of a notorious and wealthy government official in the town of Gobu. Born to a slave mother, Jo Jung-seok’s character is described as a poisonous snake, with sharp gazes and withering smiles. I’m so used to watching Jo Jung-seok playing likeable leads that I’d love to watch him play against type here.

The role offered to Yoon Shi-yoon, on the other hand, is predictably the opposite of Jo Jung-seok’s. If he accepts, he’ll play the legitimate, younger son of the Baek family, who studied abroad in Japan and is preparing for the national civil service exam. Described as noble and graceful in both his looks and the way he carries himself, his only perceived flaw is his family’s less-than-the-highest social status.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/11/jo-jung-seok-yoon-shi-yoon-offered-brother-roles-in-sbs-sageuk/

Han Ye Ri In Talks For New SBS Drama Alongside Jo Jung Suk And Yoon Shi Yoon

by R. Jun
b7633c3799924c46a147c4612e26c7dd.jpeg?s=

Actress Han Ye Ri may be returning to SBS dramas soon!

December 26, a source from Han Ye Ri’s agency, Saram Entertainment, revealed that the actress is currently reviewing an offer to appear in the upcoming SBS drama “Ugeumchi.”

If Han Ye Ri accepts, it will be her first SBS drama since “Switch,” which concluded in May this year.

“Ugeumchi” is set in 1894 and is about the Battle of Ugeumchi during the Donghak Peasant Revolution. Also in talks for the drama are Jo Jung Suk and Yoon Shi Yoon, who would be playing half brothers on opposing sides.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1283471wpp/han-ye-ri-talks-new-sbs-drama-alongside-jo-jung-suk-yoon-shi-yoon

Jo Jung Suk, Han Ye Ri, And Yoon Shi Yoon Confirmed For New SBS Drama

2249d6f306c241ab8054db142a7b4570.jpeg?s=

Jo Jung Suk, Han Ye Ri, and Yoon Shi Yoon are confirmed for an upcoming SBS drama!

On January 3, a source confirmed that the three actors will be working together for the upcoming drama “Ugeumchi” (working title).

The drama will tell a story of two brothers who have different mothers but share the same father. They get separated during a riot that is now known as the Donghak Peasant’s Movement in 1894, where religious leaders of Donghak (translates to “Eastern Religion”) and the peasants of Jeolla Province joined forces together against the government that was pushing for the growth of Catholicism at the time.

Jo Jung Suk will appear as the older brother Baek Yi Kang who was born out of wedlock as the son of his father’s wife’s slave. With a sharp look and cold smile, he speaks with sarcasm in his voice and likes to pick a fight.

On the other hand, Yoon Shi Yoon will play the role of the younger brother Baek Yi Hyun. While he is the youngest son in the family, he is also the first “rightful son” born under the wife. With a graceful appearance and speaking manner, he shows much respect for his older brother.

Lastly, Han Ye Ri will take the role of Song Ja In. She is the only child of Song Bong Gil, the peddler of peddlers in Jeolla Province. With both charisma and courage, she also runs a shop where she trades goods for money, striving to be the best peddler in the history of Korea.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1287611wpp/jo-jung-suk-han-ye-ri-yoon-shi-yoon-confirmed-new-sbs-drama

201901040957337119_1_20190104100826204.j

The drama will tell a story of two brothers who have different mothers but share the same father. They get separated during a riot that is now known as the Donghak Peasant’s Movement in 1894, where religious leaders of Donghak (translates to “Eastern Religion”) and the peasants of Jeolla Province joined forces together against the government that was pushing for the growth of Catholicism at the time.

Jo Jung Suk will appear as the older brother Baek Yi Kang who was born out of wedlock as the son of his father’s wife’s slave. With a sharp look and cold smile, he speaks with sarcasm in his voice and likes to pick a fight.

On the other hand, Yoon Shi Yoon will play the role of the younger brother Baek Yi Hyun. While he is the youngest son in the family, he is also the first “rightful son” born under the wife. With a graceful appearance and speaking manner, he shows much respect for his older brother.

Lastly, Han Ye Ri will take the role of Song Ja In. She is the only child of Song Bong Gil, the peddler of peddlers in Jeolla Province. With both charisma and courage, she also runs a shop where she trades goods for money, striving to be the best peddler in the history of Korea.

“Ugeumchi” is written by Jung Hyun Min of “Jeong Do Jeon” and “Assembly” and will be directed by Shin Kyung Soo of “Three Days” and “Six Flying Dragons.” It is set to air early 2019 as SBS’s new Wednesday-Thursday drama.

(source Soompi https://www.soompi.com/article/1287611wpp/jo-jung-suk-han-ye-ri-yoon-shi-yoon-confirmed-new-sbs-drama)

1 minute ago, Jillia said:

@nrllee

Please check the drama index before creating a thread. There was already a drama thread for this project, so I merged your thread with the older one. :)

-Jillia

thanks for that. It took me a while to create coz I kept losing what I was typing.  Sorry for the double post.

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2019] Ugeumchi 우금티 (Working Title) - Jo Jung Suk, Yoon Shi Yoon and Han Ye-Ri
1 hour ago, rachelyun said:

It's not Ugeumti anymore, that was the previous unofficial name, now it's 녹두꽃 (lit translation: Mung bean flower)

Thanks. I saw that there is a title change. I am sure there will be an official English title as well.

January 4 2019

Cho Jung-Seok, Han Ye-Ri & Yoon Si-Yoon cast in SBS drama series “Mung Bean Flower”

Mung_Bean_Flower-a00.jpg

Cho Jung-Seok, Han Ye-Ri & Yoon Si-Yoon are cast in SBS drama series “Mung Bean Flower” (literal title). The drama series is set during Donghak Peasant Revolution which took place in 1894-1895. Cho Jung-Seok and Yoon Si-Yoon will play half-brothers who fights on opposite sides of this revolution. Han Ye-Ri will play a woman dreaming of becoming the best merchant of her time. Early Korean working title of this drama series was “Woogeumti” and then changed to its current “Nokdoo Kkot.”

“Mung Bean Flower” will first air sometime during the first half of this year in South Korea.

http://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/cho-jung-seok-han-ye-ri-yoon-si-yoon-cast-in-sbs-drama-series-mung-bean-flower

4 minutes ago, nrllee said:

where did you get the info about Lee Jeong Heon being part of the cast? 

There were articles on Internet even before the confirmation of the lead actors.

One of those articles.

http://www.xportsnews.com/?ac=article_view&entry_id=1050081

59 minutes ago, 87yua . said:

The release date is april 2019? I thought lee seungi ‘s vagabond will air on may 2019? Same slot wed and thurs, is it conflict?

I think I read somewhere about tI guess when they accepted Vagabong on SBS, the time slot for Myung Bean Flower became uncertain. I changed the released date to not create confusion. Thanks. 

Just now, Jillia said:

Schedule for Hot Blooded Priest still seems unclear. Some think it will be on the Friday/Saturday slot. SBS will cancel the Saturday slot. I think they want to establish their Friday/Saturday slot more. :) And this drama is supposed to follow on this slot.

Monday/Tuesday slot is already filled with other dramas, Haechi etc.

Oh, I don't really know about HBP, it was listed as MT drama on initial reports, but it's not anymore, my mistake;   anyway it's almost sure Mung Bean Flower is going to be Friday-Saturday drama.

Edit: Sorry my mistake again, MBF is going to follow HBP, as Friday-Saturday drama (In case HBP it's a FS drama ofc)

I'm too distracted today, really.

Edit2: I'm going to delete my previous info and correct it, so I don't confuse more people! lol :P

Edit3: The scripts

It's a 금토드라마 indeed! 

Some background about why the Mung (Green) Bean reference (thanks @blackberrypie).  This sounds like a serious historical drama.  It's written by a man so I think the feuding of the brothers caught up on opposing sides of the revolt will be the main emphasis.  There may or may not be any romance.  If there is, it will not have much air time. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeon_Bongjun (Green Bean General)

Extract:

*The Korean general Bong-Joon Juhn lead an unsuccessful uprising against corrupt rulers and invading Japanese troops in the late 19th century. His nickname was the Green Bean General. Legend says that he was a Korean version of Robin Hood; after attacking corrupt officials and seizing their treasures, he then distributed them to the poor commoners. He was very popular and many commoners joined his army. His army swept through large parts of the Korean peninsula before Korean rulers requested the Japanese army to intervene. Juhn’s army, equipped with spears and arrows, was no match against the westernized gun-wielding Japanese army, and in 1895 Juhn was captured and hanged. Korean commoners sang this song to lament General Juhn’s death and the failed coup d’état, and it is said the widows of Juhn’s army sang this song to their babies as a lullaby.

https://www.sejongculturalsociety.org/composition/current/music/parangsae.php

46 minutes ago, nrllee said:

This sounds like a serious historical drama.  It's written by a man so I think the feuding of the brothers caught up on opposing sides of the revolt will be the main emphasis.  There may or may not be any romance.  If there is, it will not have much air time. 

I sense that this drama will have lots of tragedies. The tragic is not only that brothers will be on the opposite sides but we`ll see how the peasant force will lose the battle in the end because of their outdated weapons. From what I read the  Korean government had difficulty in suppressing the peasant rebellion and called forces outside the country to defeat it. 

I think the romance will be bittersweet. I hope there is a little romance along with all these tragedies but it is possible that showing personal relationship in the drama (love, friendship, family ) to make the losses even more painful for the audience. 

Thanks for the articles.

@larus @stroppyse Yeah.  I am bracing myself for lots of tears. :tears:  There are no winners in wars/conflict.  

I think General Green Bean (I love his name :lol: - green/mung beans were probably the staple for peasants in their diet) was just the impetus for change.  He may have died early in the revolt but he died a martyr so his legacy propelled the peasantry to continue the fight for injustice in his absence.  And the brothers got entangled in it.

JJS's character (YK) is oppressed and probably has an axe to grind being the illegitimate son (same father as YSY's character - YH).  He was likely to have been deprived of the rights of a good education, status and all the luxuries afforded to the legitimate son YH.  So when the rebellion began with General Mung Bean, he would've had the means to right the injustices prevalent in his life and he would likely join the rebel forces.

YH on the other hand, I feel like will end up being forced into it unwittingly.  He sounds more like a conscientious objector or a pacifist.  He respects his older brother YK.  Being educated, he will likely understand the ideology and stance of the peasants but he will not like the means whereby they enact change.  Peasant rebellions often have innocent casualties because all those years of repressed anger gets released and innocent women, children and men (who were likely really decent and non-repressive people) end up caught in the crossfire.  The peasants will see ALL landowners and upper class folk as their enemies and seek to kill/destroy them regardless.  YH is likely to then be forced to protect the innocents thereby making him out to be 'on the opposing side' as a result.  That's how I read the synopsis anyway.

As for Han YeRi's character, she sounds quite progressive in the synopsis.  She wants to the the best 'peddler' (business woman) in the whole of Korea?  She's got lofty ideals.  She's not one to sit by and wait for Prince Charming to come by and provide for her.  She sounds like a strong woman with a mind of her own.  So if there's a romance at all, she doesn't sound like she's one to be all shy and retiring.  Being in a 'merchant' trade, her business will only thrive if the economy is humming along...she needs the 'rich people' around to grow her business?  Peasants don't have much money so they can't buy her goods?  So perhaps she will be the lynchpin that marries the 2 worlds or gives that alternative perspective to the different ideologies.

Yes! my favs! I just don't know the female lead but count me in this one. Serious historical drama!

What "My Country?"  Hahaha :P:lol::D  Btw, that's another historical 2019 drama Yang Se Jong and Woo do Whan..of course  going to check it as well. it's more like historical  action drama.

10 minutes ago, jongski said:

Yes! my favs! I just don't know the female lead but count me in this one. Serious historical drama! 

This time we have a good female lead. It will be my first time to see Han Ye Ri in a drama/ movie but I know she is a good actress. I like her already.

20 hours ago, larus said:

This time we have a good female lead. It will be my first time to see Han Ye Ri in a drama/ movie but I know she is a good actress. I like her already.

Yay, I am glad Yoon Shi Yoon is working with a good female lead  this time round unlike the last sageuk. :D

Image result for pictures of yoon shi yoon and han ye ri

cr to owner

Archived