Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Winter Begonia 鬓边不是海棠红

12 hours ago, crackaddict said:

I'm still watching this! I just paused it for the subtitles to come out. Show doesn't seem popular on this forum, but hope it was well received by Chinese audience!

Hopefully when the subs come out it will become more popular. I have a feeling it is going to have the Chicago Typewriter treatment where it grows in fame over time as people realize how amazing it is

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ValentineJ said:

Hopefully when the subs come out it will become more popular. I have a feeling it is going to have the Chicago Typewriter treatment where it grows in fame over time as people realize how amazing it is

It would be better, if this drama comes to Netflix or other international giant streaming services. A Sequel of Yanxi Palace, whose producer and director are the same of WB, came to Netflix. So, it's not that unrealistic hope, right? Douban's rating is continuously growing and now hits the highest rating among the dramas in the first quarter of this year (7.9). I'm sure, it will be 8.

Meanwhile, i read some tweets. According to them, WB will be aired on TV in August. Keep Fingers crossed, that WB gains more recognition! 

• Like 3

Some highlights I love between CFT and SXR, admist the chaos.....It was funny to see when SXR plug CFT's gray hair when he was at the hospital^^. Love their bittersweet moments when they talked about leaving Shanghai :cry:. So cute and playful when SXR stamp on CFT's palm. When the music played on that scene, it makes you feel sad because they're basically telling goodbyes to each other :bawling:. I can feel their sadness through the screen, and it just makes your heart break sigh.....

• Like 2

iQIYI's Original Drama Series "Winter Begonia" Taps into Technology and Platform Ecosystem to Promote Peking Opera => LINK to article

It finally ended :bawling:!!!!!!! SXR makes so many progress towards the end, he forgives those that done him wrong------It's like watching him grow from a little boy to a man that knows holding a grudge is better let go, and let bygones be bygones---OR that you cannot bully the weak, even when they went insane----Like Si-Er did.

Spoiler

The last few episodes were so heart-wrenching. It was painful to watch SXR cried his heart out when he thought that CFT died. How he cried for his love and wanted him to come back to life:bawling:. Then, he sings his heart out into the world and brings CFT back to life. I especially love that scene where CFT came to give the train ticket and say farewell to SXR, and when SXR reached his hand to shake goodbye, CFT raises his hand out and grasp it------So much pain in one glance:bawling:. Then he turned and walked away. CFT got into the car and all the memories flashed back was so bittersweet to watch------Then CFT imagined that SXR came to the train station:bawling: sigh.........How dare they lie to me???!!!! :bawling:.......I was tearing so hard, and then I replayed the handshake and ending scene a couple of times. It hurts that it's over:bawling:. Again, this drama was done wonderfully------It was amazing, I'm so glad I tuned in. This is definitely a rewatch for me. I will miss SXR and CFT's wonderful relationship and all the funny side characters and SXR's funny theater family <3!!!!!!:heart:

HXM and AndrewYi literally became CFT and SXR------Their impression---eyes and smiles says so much. They portrayed their characters so well. All those emotional scenes were directed and acted so well-----It feels like I was watching SXR and CFT came to life. Throughout this drama, HXM's eyes and smiles as CFT was just amazing, those expressions towards SXR were just acted so well:wub:.

What a ride, thank you to everyone that posted and shared your love for this drama^^!!! Hope to see you guys around~:heart:

• Like 3

On 5/9/2020 at 4:07 AM, megumi09 said:

Meanwhile, i read some tweets. According to them, WB will be aired on TV in August. Keep Fingers crossed, that WB gains more recognition! 

That would be good! Can you share the tweet? I tried to look for it but in vain.

15 hours ago, rosierosie said:

It finally ended :bawling:

:bawling: IKR. A rare gem. One of its kind. Plan to rewatch when it airs on TV. Hope it will. 

Pin by Carina on Rilakkuma | Rilakkuma, Congratulations, Cute animalsBtw, good news! Winter Begonia fans! It is officially the #2 Top Ten Web Drama for Q1/2020.

Capture2-Winter-Begonia-No2.png

Capture.png 

CR: Weibo @人民日报数字传播 联合 @艺恩数据

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

^Awww So happy for them, WB definitely deserves it. Now, I'm watching the BTS and it relieves the pain a little :)!!! BTS so funny^^, they have so much fun.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 11:02 AM, jadecloud said:

That would be good! Can you share the tweet? I tried to look for it but in vain.

OK. It's officially confirmed, that binbian / Winter Begonia will be broadcast on Beijing Satellite TV!!!!! It was announced by none other than Yin Zheng Laoban! I'm so happy! kaixin!

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 8:27 AM, ValentineJ said:

I'm sad at the lack of interest for this drama on here

Welcome^^, I always like to read the comment so feel free to do so. Even though  finished it already^^. Love WB, one of the best BL novel adaptation. I'm still missing CFT SXR^^!!!!!

• Like 2

I’m on Episode 38 and I have a feeling it’s gonna be really hard for me to move on after I watch the last episode. Nooo...

2 hours ago, AAerin Lee said:

I’m on Episode 38 and I have a feeling it’s gonna be really hard for me to move on after I watch the last episode. Nooo...

keep watching, watch till the end....I miss this so much, but yes I will wait to watch it again.

Posted (edited)

I don’t get the ending?! I need explanation because my heart is literally aching to know

Spoiler

So did Shang Xirui go to the train station or not? Why didn’t he wanna leave with Cheng Fengtai? He could’ve perform opera in HK too and he could still be with CFT. The final text didn’t state what happened to SXR. Why?!?! I mean he’s one of the main characters and they explained what CFT did with Du Qi and Yu Qing but nothing about SXR?? Also, a few things I wished the drama could show us like did Gu Dali die? Anything abt the Cao father and son...and also SXR’s biological sister, argh, I hated that she would never find out who her real bro is. And Chachaer, I hope she dies with regrets.

This drama is so beautiful, I wish I could request Netflix to add it. It needs to reach a wider audience especially people like me who needed Eng Sub. 

Edited by AAerin Lee
Fixed spoiler
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 1:57 AM, AAerin Lee said:

I don’t get the ending?! I need explanation because my heart is literally aching to know

Hide contents

So did Shang Xirui go to the train station or not? Why didn’t he wanna leave with Cheng Fengtai? He could’ve perform opera in HK too and he could still be with CFT. The final text didn’t state what happened to SXR. Why?!?! I mean he’s one of the main characters and they explained what CFT did with Du Qi and Yu Qing but nothing about SXR?? Also, a few things I wished the drama could show us like did Gu Dali die? Anything abt the Cao father and son...and also SXR’s biological sister, argh, I hated that she would never find out who her real bro is. And Chachaer, I hope she dies with regrets.

This drama is so beautiful, I wish I could request Netflix to add it. It needs to reach a wider audience especially people like me who needed Eng Sub. 

It's an open ending about the train station scene. I take it as that SXR meet up with CFT and they left together to Hong Kong, just like in the novel ending :). Yeah, I think it would be interesting to see the small details in what happened with the other characters; but since time is constraint we can only suspect that they either survived or died. I agreed^^, indeed is a beautiful drama and it would be a great thing if Netflix picks it up^^-----I totally rewatched :).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rosierosie said:

It's an open ending about the train station scene. I take it as that SXR meet up with CFT and they left together to Hong Kong, just like in the novel ending :). Yeah, I think it would be interesting to see the small details in what happened with the other characters; but since time is constraint we can only suspect that they either survived or died. I agreed^^, indeed is a beautiful drama and it would be a great thing if Netflix picks it up^^-----I totally rewatched :).

Omg really, really?? He joined them in the novel? I couldn’t read Chinese well enough so I didn’t read it. I wish they’ll make a part 2 or a side story just like what they did with Yanxi Palace.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AAerin Lee said:

Omg really, really?? He joined them in the novel? I couldn’t read Chinese well enough so I didn’t read it. I wish they’ll make a part 2 or a side story just like what they did with Yanxi Palace.

yeah in the novel, SXR and CFT have a happy ending^^. I can't read Chinese, but that's the spoiler by some fans that read the book^^.

• Love 1

On 5/21/2020 at 6:27 PM, ValentineJ said:

I'm sad at the lack of interest for this drama on here

IKR! I feel likewise. But am also puzzled at soompiers' disinterest. Fortunately, the interest is extremely good in C-netz like weibo and douban, just to name a couple.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:54 AM, megumi09 said:

Winter Begonia will be broadcast

Thanks. It's official now, though the schedule is still unknown. So glad it's going to be available to more viewers. It's good for this drama gem, and especially good for the cast and crew. KUDOS!

Btw, WB is also the first BL adaptation that will broadcast on satellite TV. That's a good sign, a good beginning, not just for China but for the world at large. I hope Chinese censorship will cease to be as stringent as it has been thus far.     

On 6/25/2020 at 11:57 AM, AAerin Lee said:

Are you able to access Viki and in a region which is licensed? If you are, you can watch it there with subtitles in English and other languages.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:26 AM, rosierosie said:

indeed is a beautiful drama and it would be a great thing if Netflix picks it up^^-----I totally rewatched :).

I hope Netflix or Hulu or somewhere else would pick it up as well. The more streamers, the merrier. More viewers should get to watch it. I'd totally rewatch it again, too.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:11 PM, AAerin Lee said:

I wish they’ll make a part 2 or a side story just like what they did with Yanxi Palace.

Well, with the huge interest and awards it has garnered (including renewed interests in Chinese performing arts/opera), at least in the C-world, and with that open ending, I would not rule out the possibility of a season 2 or some form of spin-off. Fingers crossed :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jadecloud said:

Are you able to access Viki and in a region which is licensed? If you are, you can watch it there with subtitles in English and other languages.

I'm rewatching it on iQiyi. Viki's not available in my region which sucks big time and I don't even know why they do that. 2nd time rewatching it is even better because now I can appreciate the props even more. The team in charge of creating the settings and props should win some awards. Those exquisite details...:wub:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2020 at 5:11 AM, AAerin Lee said:

The last episode came out in April (for non VIP Viewers Beginning of May), so I think, it's ok, not to put any spoiler marks.

Anyway, I really really hate to say that... but, the Ending in the novel is almost same. That means, oe.

I still don't finish the novel, but I checked last pages just because of curiosity,

after i read some comments on youtube, twitter & mydramalist.

In the novel, at the curtain call, Shang XiRui was not on the stage nor backstage, and Cheng FengTai waited for him on the platform.

The author of the novel was also involved in the production as one of the scriptwriters.

That said, the ending must not be so different from the original novel.

Shang Xirui running to the railway station, wasn't mere illusion of Cheng FengTai.

As for the meaning of ending, someone wrote both the drama and the novel lean positive & I agree with this reviewer.

There are so many scenes, which foreshadow Shang Xurui leaving Beiping.

After all, his closest friend/family Shaolai was gone (at least in the drama).

Now, he has his successor, XiaoZhouzi.

(I'm not sure, how this part was executed in the novel. XiaoZhouzi in the novel wasn't his official disciple,

so maybe this part was also drama original. maybe?)

There was also a scene, Shang XiRui asking audience to support other Shuiyunlou Actors.

It was not his intention, but he kinda prepared for his departure from his troupe.

His one and only scriptwriter has already gone to HK.

Was there any major reason, why he still had to stay in Beijing?

I also read that one of Shang Xirui's models, legendary Mei Lanfang, refused to sing during Japanese occupation and kept growing a beard. Shang Xirui would have done that, too. However, what kind of strong reasons he had, staying in Beiping in spite of everything, if he couldn't sing? While Mei Lanfang came from Beiping/Beijing, Shang Xirui didn't even come from the city.

Most important thing is, however, the fact, that he himself had already chosen Cheng FengTai over the opera.

- he refused to perform his new play and waited for Cheng FengTai.

- he was ready to give up literally everything for nursing Cheng FengTai.

- he didn't even hesitate to take a risk damaging his voice for Cheng FengTai.

Shang Xirui couldn't answer, when Cheng FengTai asked him, if he chooses his life or the opera.

Partly because he was trapped by his own idea and also he didn't realize, what it would mean this time around.

But, I think, when he saw that empty entrance, the truth hit him hard.

His face! That was one of the most beautiful and heart aching scenes.

As an Opera singer, he also owed Cheng Fengtai a play. He still didn't finish playing his XiaoFengXian in front of his General!

This is also another reason, why Shang Xirui had to be with Cheng Fentai!

So, everything, especially during the last couple of episodes, indicates that Shang Xirui chose Cheng FengTai.

It's not that important, if he caught the train. Even if he couldn't, he eventually went to HK, if he wanted.

And I'm pretty sure, that he did.

Of Course, they didn't mention anything about Shang Xurui in the final text. Otherwise, what the meaning of oe is?

As for that final text, i read someone's comment on douban. It said, Du Qi and Cheng FengTai were not so close,

that means, Shang Xirui contributed for their collaboration & that is also another evidence that Shang Xirui was in HK.

Surely, there are a lot more details, which i missed, but it's kinda hard to rewatch last three episodes...

Edited by megumi09
  • Like 3

^all your points are <3!!!! I miss them!!! I want season 2 if it's possible :)!!

• Like 2