[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Winter Begonia 鬓边不是海棠红

sugarplum892

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/13/2020 at 8:37 PM, rosierosie said:

I think I'm on Chapter 50 part of the Jealousy part, and it was hilarious when SXR got jealous and dragged the woman out. I can't stopped laughing as I'm typing this, in my head so funny:joy:. CFT is such a liar, but SXR catch on sometimes and knows what's up too. SXR is really funny, and naive. YZ really played SXR so well. Even when I read the novel, I see YZ and HXM as SXR and CFT. They couldn't picked anyone better to played their parts.

I actually felt sorry for the girl. This novel really doesn’t give two hoots about women. Out of curiosity, is the author a man or a woman? I don’t know why I kept thinking it’s a woman but reading the novel now, it sounds more like a male author. And yes! YZ=SXR and HXM=CFT. I couldn’t picture someone else as them but it’s getting harder to picture HXM as the novel’s CFT because the novel CFT is so sleazy. I hope he has some redeeming quality in the novel. Novel’s Xiao Lai is disgusted with him and I agree with her. 

On 9/13/2020 at 11:57 PM, megumi09 said:

(In an video on bilibili someone explained one of sxr's models famously ate pig trotters)

I remember that. It’s Cheng Yanqiu. Here’s an article about the few famous Beijing opera singers that inspired the character of SXR. It’s a poorly translated article but you get the idea. Especially interesting to read about Cheng Yanqiu. 
https://lujuba.cc/en/185464.html

^Interesting article on the real life of Peking Opera. No wondered SXR eats so much before he performed, he usually have to eat meat or pig trotter. Did he eats it before, or after the performance? I cannot remember.

I thought the author is a woman??? Someone mentioned it here somewhere I think, so I thought it was woman? I might be wrong though.

Back to the article, I read some people calling YZ fat, but he really doesn't look all that fat. Sure, his face is a little chubby; but he still looks good. I'm sure he also looks more chubby, because he's wearing layers too.

21 hours ago, Funnybunny said:

Here’s an article about the few famous Beijing opera singers that inspired the character of SXR. It’s a poorly translated article but you get the idea. Especially interesting to read about Cheng Yanqiu. 
https://lujuba.cc/en/185464.html

Wow! thank you so much! it's really informative.

21 hours ago, Funnybunny said:

Out of curiosity, is the author a man or a woman?

5 hours ago, rosierosie said:

I thought the author is a woman

The author is a woman.

- Her weibo's page shows her gender.

author.jpg

- 句墨影视 (screenwriter) wrote, the screenwriters of the audiodrama are 亲妈trio, whom you are familier with.

author2.jpg

6 hours ago, rosierosie said:

Did he eats it before, or after the performance?

He eats before except for that one time when he performed with Jiulang. He was so excited that he didn’t even care that there’s no pig’s trotter.

6 hours ago, rosierosie said:

Sure, his face is a little chubby; but he still looks good. I'm sure he also looks more chubby, because he's wearing layers too.

I agree. He did get fatter but one would say he’s more ‘chubby’ than ‘fat’. He’s totally cute like a chubby penguin with chipmunk cheeks :sweat_smile: His thick clothes made him look even chubbier and so hug-worthy. Like a warm walking pillow... :tounge_wink: In addition to that, his large eyes and tiny lips made him look like an adorable giant baby hahahaha how can someone looks so cute??! 

1 hour ago, megumi09 said:

The author is a woman.

- Her weibo's page shows her gender.

Wow she must’ve done a lot of research on gay couples then. 

1 hour ago, megumi09 said:

句墨影视 (screenwriter) wrote, the screenwriters of the audiodrama are 亲妈trio, whom you are familier with.

Sorry but who are the 亲妈trio? 

Thank you so much for sharing that @megumi09!! I had already deducted some points mentioned in the tweet myself earlier but it’s so awesome to read the rest and it’s so clearly stated point by point. Amazing. Especially the explanation of the connection between each opera performance and the developing relationship between CFT and SXR. 

I don’t really understand what SXR was implying when he sang “Who knows what’s in my heart? I can only be shy and follow the rules.” Can someone explain this to me?

It also seems like the novel is gonna be more brutal than the drama(still a long way to read, Zeng Aiyu just got pregnant). We were treated kindly by the author and screenwriters for the drama.  I still wish for Winter Begonia part 2 - Life in Hong Kong. :approves:

2 hours ago, Sour Roscoe said:

Has anyone finished reading the novel? I’m curious if they have a happy ending in the novel. 

I haven’t finished reading the novel because I’m reading the chapters as they’re being translated into English but as far as I know, the ending is ambiguous. It might seem like a sad ending but there were many hints dropped by the author that the ending is actually a happy one. 

5 hours ago, Funnybunny said:

I haven’t finished reading the novel because I’m reading the chapters as they’re being translated into English but as far as I know, the ending is ambiguous. It might seem like a sad ending but there were many hints dropped by the author that the ending is actually a happy one. 

That’s great to know. I hope I notice the hints lol

18 hours ago, Sour Roscoe said:

That’s great to know. I hope I notice the hints lol

Yep. If you read the previous comments here, they did mention where and what those hints are. Have you finished watching the drama and are you reading the translated novel too? 

On 9/15/2020 at 11:50 PM, megumi09 said:

three screenwriters: 水如天儿 (the author of the novel), 久任 and 句墨影视

Recently, I learned 句墨影视 is not pseudonium of 渝州夜来 but rather the joint account of three screenwriters. (it makes sense, since the name sounds like a company.) Sorry for the inaccurate information.

On 9/18/2020 at 7:26 PM, Funnybunny said:

I had already deducted some points mentioned in the tweet myself earlier but it’s so awesome to read the rest and it’s so clearly stated point by point. Amazing. Especially the explanation of the connection between each opera performance and the developing relationship between CFT and SXR. 

I feel more or less the same. I mean, I don't know much about this particular period nor Chinese society and Culture. Still, we, international viewers, could interpret those hints just like domestic viewers. It's definitely a testament to the quality of the production.

On 9/18/2020 at 7:26 PM, Funnybunny said:

I still wish for Winter Begonia part 2 - Life in Hong Kong. 

:bawling:

34 minutes ago, Funnybunny said:

Who knows what’s in my heart? I can only be shy and follow the rules.”?? Be shy of what? Follow what rules? He sang this at the end but I couldn’t really tell what he meant here. 

when i watched this scene for the first time, I thought, it was a love confession of sxr. like, I'm too shy to express my love for you. (yet you know well, I care for you.) But, ofc I'm not sure, bc I don't know anything about the story of the peony pavilion.

13 hours ago, Funnybunny said:

Yep. If you read the previous comments here, they did mention where and what those hints are. Have you finished watching the drama and are you reading the translated novel too? 

I’m just halfway through the drama and I am reading the novel, but I’ve stopped reading since I want to read it in one go. I don’t think I can handle waiting for maybe about 60 chapters. I enjoy it too much to be able to wait that long.

22 hours ago, megumi09 said:

when i watched this scene for the first time, I thought, it was a love confession of sxr. like, I'm too shy to express my love for you. (yet you know well, I care for you.) But, ofc I'm not sure, bc I don't know anything about the story of the peony pavilion.

Ohh ok ok! I got confused. I thought he sang this in the last scene when CFT left for the train station. That’s why I didn’t understand what’s the message’s correlation to that scene! Ah silly me. So he sang this in the street when SXR suddenly said he wanted to sing to Er Ye, right? Then it makes sense. It IS a love confession haha! Also I Googled what’s Peony Pavilion about. It’s about Du Liniang falling in love with a man in her dream and she died from being lovesick. After she died, the man(forgot his name) started dreaming about her and found out who she was and fell in love too. And long story cut short, their love was so strong that she came back alive to be with him. So now I also understood its relation to SXR sacrificing for CFT, and his ‘love’ for CFT was so strong that he woke up from his coma. *phew*

10 hours ago, Sour Roscoe said:

I’m just halfway through the drama and I am reading the novel, but I’ve stopped reading since I want to read it in one go. I don’t think I can handle waiting for maybe about 60 chapters. I enjoy it too much to be able to wait that long.

Ahhh...since the spoilers are everywhere I guess it’s just nice to read up on the Twitter posts above anyway. The explanation of the opera performances in relation to each scene in the drama was an extremely helpful way to get those love hints. Brilliant play by the screenwriters against the censorship board. 
I tried to read each chapter slowly but I admit, I failed miserably...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on CH 59, and SXR is eve more hilarious in the novel!! I feel sorry for Boss Yu, she likes a man who is a compete jerk that didn't care much for her :(. The novel is definitely darker than the drama; given that I was in for a lot of surprise. The drama didn't really show how dark and distasteful for actors to thrive in the opera world. It's very messy, even for SXR. I'm glad SXR have CFT to falls on, they really compliment each other. SXR is like a baby, he's so funny and eats so much lol.

20 hours ago, rosierosie said:

The drama didn't really show how dark and distasteful for actors to thrive in the opera world.

And to know that this was the reality of opera performers back then is rather sad. I’m on Chapter 73 and I’m still not liking novel’s CFT...

3 hours ago, Funnybunny said:

And to know that this was the reality of opera performers back then is rather sad. I’m on Chapter 73 and I’m still not liking novel’s CFT...

So far, I'm also not pleased with novel CFT either. I'm slowly taking my time, but I'm glad you're here to discussed this with me :). 

Archived